PDA

View Full Version : Using cinnamon to bring red out?

prettyinpink
September 14th, 2013, 07:55 AM
Hey guys! My hair is naturally strawberry blonde. I want to lighten it up and bring out the red. I read that cinnamon brings out red, but how long does this effect last? Is it just staining? Do you know if its drying? Do you know of anything else that will bring out the red permenantly (other than dye) :D

My hairs weird. If you look at a chunk of hair, you will see white strands, gold strands, and blood red strands.

Thank you!

Panth
September 14th, 2013, 08:02 AM
One of the main problems with cinnamon is that it can cause contact allergy. Be careful and patch test before you try anything out.

Hairitic
September 14th, 2013, 08:09 AM
The best method for getting red permanently in the hair is Henna. There's a whole thread about it. If you didn't want the permanency of Henna, then I would suggest trying a strong tea made from Hibiscus Flowers mixed into thick conditioner. Saturate the hair with it and leave on covered with plastic, for at least a half hour and preferably an hour. As far as lightening the hair naturally, there is lemon juice which will dry out the hair and cause some damage. There is also Honey lightening. There is info on that as well on the boards. Best wishes in your endeavors. ;-)

prettyinpink
September 14th, 2013, 10:06 AM
thank you hairitic! Ill do some research on henna

Crumpet
September 14th, 2013, 10:20 AM
I've used cinnamon before on a hair colour that sounds similar to yours. I didn't experience much colour change even when I used honey -- but people differ on these things. The main worry is that it can be hard on your scalp. My scalp is NOT sensitive and when I did it twice in one week my scalp was not happy with me for a few days.

Anje
September 14th, 2013, 10:30 AM
Cinnamon (and a few other things like honey) can produce a little peroxide when mixed with water, so various people have reported that it lightens hair. Because it's gradual and subtle, a lot say that it's non-damaging, though I suspect that it results in about the same amount of damage as if you had slowly lightened a similar amount with a peroxide-containing product like Sun-in. I also suspect that if cinnamon enhances red tones, it's doing it in ways analogous to how peroxide products tend to make darker hair end up with an orangey cast.

If you do try cinnamon, don't get it in your eyes and be aware that it can burn, like hot cinnamon candy burns, but worse. Be careful with it and wash it out if it hurts.

longNred
September 14th, 2013, 12:35 PM
Apple cider vinegar rinses? Doing this often may help bring out the natural red tones. Henna will only deposit, not lift, so if you're looking to go lighter, it may not be right for you.

prettyinpink
September 14th, 2013, 06:02 PM
does the avc have to be raw or unfiltered?