PDA

View Full Version : Hair Journey Thus Far

deja
September 13th, 2013, 06:32 PM
My hair has been shoulder length since forever. I've put it through heck with heat-styling/chemical-processing/excessive handling & cutting and just not protecting it at all. I just started wanting long hair last year and it was all of a sudden, I don't even know exactly what triggered it. I know that when I was younger, I always loved braiding my grandmothers hip length hair and said I wanted long hair like her one day but something just made me want long hair really badly in that moment so I scrolled through pages upon pages of tips for hair growing and tried most of everything. Some things worked, some did not. I had to go through trials & errors for a few months but I've gotten into a hair care routine that works for me. I found LHC around that time and I lurked for months, taking in all of you guys' advice to each other. I told myself I would sign up when/if I could get to APL so here I am. :) I do scalp massages, rub castor oil in my roots and coconut oil on my ends almost every day. I eat healthy (sometimes :p), drink lots of water, exercise daily and manage my stress. I still use heat on my hair, but only once per month now and I use heat protector. I stretch the time in between my perms and I wash my hair every two weeks, deep condition once per week and air dry. I don't trim my hair anymore because I don't have splits- thanks to moisturizing, conditioning and protective styling. I wrap my hair in a silk scarf every night and use a wide-toothed comb. I take multivitamin gummies and 5,000 mcg Biotin. Biotin made me break out at first but I researched and read I need to take it with a meal and that cleared my face right up. I'm not sure if Biotin has contributed to my hair growth at all but my nails are definitely much stronger and they're finally long because of it. So yeah, this is my progress from Jan 2013 to July 2013 (my birthday, the last time I've seen my hair down & straightened):
http://i43.tinypic.com/2l9732r.png
My goal is waist and I hope to be there in two years or so!

Allychan
September 13th, 2013, 07:28 PM
Gorgeous photo. Sounds like you have a pretty intensive hair care routine that is paying dividends to you because your hair looks great. Did your Gran pass on any hair care tips to you?

AMD
September 13th, 2013, 07:30 PM
You look great! lovely hair

biogirl87
September 13th, 2013, 08:42 PM
deja, your hair is beautiful. You've made good progress with it.

Crumpet
September 13th, 2013, 08:50 PM
Yowza! Gorgeous hair! I love your scarf looks (as you know) and its is lovely down. I think you have a great start on your routine and I can't make any suggestions. I can't wait to see how it turns out. I'm also going for waist. I have problems with patience. I may try some of your techniques. It sounds like you've done your research!

Leeloo
September 13th, 2013, 09:00 PM
Great progress! Beautiful hair!

OUKess
September 13th, 2013, 10:52 PM
Awesome hair!! Beautiful smile!!!

Panth
September 14th, 2013, 05:47 AM
Lovely hair and congrats on the growth.

The only thing that concerns me is the biotin. Have you read this article (http://igorsbelltower.blogspot.co.uk/p/infamous-biotin-rant.html)? I wouldn't want anyone to sacrifice their health for their hair and it's a particular concern if you've been getting side effects (i.e. breaking out).

deja
September 14th, 2013, 06:28 AM
Gorgeous photo. Sounds like you have a pretty intensive hair care routine that is paying dividends to you because your hair looks great. Did your Gran pass on any hair care tips to you?

Hey, thanks! And yes, she is Indian and the Indian oils & herbs she uses really worked well for her. She used to put them in both of our hair when I was younger and I have no idea what they are/where I would get them/if they'd work for a texture like mine/etc. I'll definitely have to ask her about it because other than shampoo, that's the only thing she put in her hair. Plus, she always wore scarves outside of her house and I think that's why I like to wear hair scarves, too. They tend to be very protective.

Aingeal
September 14th, 2013, 06:29 AM
Beautiful! I love how it shines in the light!

deja
September 14th, 2013, 06:41 AM
Thank you so very much, AMD, biogirl87, Crumpet, Leeloo, and OUKess ! :D
And Panth, thanks but the side effects did go away once I started taking it with a meal. That is an informative post, but I've talked to my doctor about it and she didn't seem to have any concerns about my using Biotin or bring up any of the studies of it's harmful effects that this blog post mentions.

deja
September 14th, 2013, 06:43 AM
Beautiful! I love how it shines in the light!

Thanks! :)

Wildcat Diva
September 14th, 2013, 07:05 AM
I think you are just beautiful!

I'm no expert on supplements, but I know that sometimes it's pretty complicated scientific stuff that even one's doctor may or may not be aware of, regarding all the supplements/ vitamins/ minerals out there and the complicated effects on the human body. I know someone who was shedding a LOT of hair; all her blood tests taken to address this concern came out within normal range according to the doc, and she was sent home to manage her stress. She started reading and found that her particular level of iron, although within the range of normal, at that lower end level, was still associated with hair loss, but she had to dig deep to find that information. Doctor didn't catch that, and probably doesn't know about that.

It's wise to do your own research, if you have a concern when it comes to your health. Doctors don't know everything. Just my 2 cents.

With that being said, it sounds like you are confident in the information you have uncovered so far, and pretty happy with your routine, so perhaps you don't see a need to look further. I think we all get to that point about certain choices that we make about our health where we are satisfied that we are making the right choice and just go on. I know I do, about LOTS of things.

I'm glad you decided to join the forum! Your hair journey already seems very interesting. I can't wait to see it continue to grow.

deja
September 14th, 2013, 07:22 AM
I think you are just beautiful!

I'm no expert on supplements, but I know that sometimes it's pretty complicated scientific stuff that even one's doctor may or may not be aware of, regarding all the supplements/ vitamins/ minerals out there and the complicated effects on the human body. I know someone who was shedding a LOT of hair; all her blood tests taken to address this concern came out within normal range according to the doc, and she was sent home to manage her stress. She started reading and found that her particular level of iron, although within the range of normal, at that lower end level, was still associated with hair loss, but she had to dig deep to find that information. Doctor didn't catch that, and probably doesn't know about that.

It's wise to do your own research, if you have a concern when it comes to your health. Doctors don't know everything. Just my 2 cents.

With that being said, it sounds like you are confident in the information you have uncovered so far, and pretty happy with your routine, so perhaps you don't see a need to look further. I think we all get to that point about certain choices that we make about our health where we are satisfied that we are making the right choice and just go on. I know I do, about LOTS of things.

I'm glad you decided to join the forum! Your hair journey already seems very interesting. I can't wait to see it continue to grow.

:) Thank you, that is such a kind thing to say! And it's true, doctors don't know everything but I have researched a lot about Biotin and this is really the first negative input on it. Other than side effects that the post did mention (that I don't have, and would stop if I did have and it didn't go away), mostly everything else was my first time reading which is strange. If bad things start happening, believe me, I would stop, but Biotin seems to be a good idea for me right now, even if it isn't necessarily helping my hair. I absolutely love being able to grow my nails out without them breaking.
Thanks, again!

Agnes Hannah
September 14th, 2013, 08:39 AM
Well done Deja, you have beautiful hair, gorgeous colour and it looks so healthy:)

Lady Mary
September 14th, 2013, 08:55 AM
Wow! Major hair envy, so pretty!

deja
September 14th, 2013, 09:19 AM
Well done Deja, you have beautiful hair, gorgeous colour and it looks so healthy:)

Thanks, it definitely feels more healthy!

Wow! Major hair envy, so pretty!

Haha aww that's so sweet, thank you :)

peepopowitz
September 14th, 2013, 10:10 AM
Before I rant for a moment, I want to say, OP, that your hair is gorgeous. I hope mine looks that lovely when I get to that length. Well done.

I just want to add to the biotin discussion. The infamous biotin rant linked by another user is just that, a rant. It's not an article. The author links to one source that backs just one point that she makes in a whole rant-full of points, and that source actually doesn't cite any research regarding the assertion (that pregnant rats miscarried). I could go on wikipedia right now and edit that biotin caused blindness in adorable puppies, but without peer reviewed research to back me up, well...

I'm glad you consulted your doctor about taking biotin. I love supplements, but what works for me may not work for someone who eats x or has y condition, so it's important to seek medical advice. Of course your doctor won't know everything, but a lot of doctors together studying the same thing probably make more justifiable conclusions than a hair care blogger: http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/infocenter/vitamins/biotin/ This is just a basic overview of what biotin is, what it does, where it comes from, and how much a person can safely take (hint: a metric ****-ton) and they cite their sources. Here's another: http://umm.edu/health/medical/altmed/supplement/vitamin-h-biotin (Go UM!)

Funny, searching for scholarly articles on biotin safety, I managed to find what the rant author couldn't and medtv wouldn't link to, the research on rat fetal and placental weight: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11800048

My issue with the biotin rant being linked to as though it were the final word on supplements, is that there is a difference for there being no research showing that biotin has a positive impact on hair and there actually being research that says biotin is not good for hair or not good for you. Yeah, there's not research supporting the claim that biotin does x good thing for my hair, so I shouldn't count on it doing x, but that doesn't automatically mean that it's hurting me to take biotin. Likewise, there also isn't research that supports the claim that megadosing on biotin is harmful and dangerous, however there actually is research that makes the opposite claim, that biotin is safe in very high doses for almost anyone. So I don't see how one could make the claim that biotin is so bad for you, when there seems to be abundant research stating that it is, in fact, quite safe in most cases. I don't care if it's effective for hair growth or not. That's like getting into the debate about cones or sulfates, if you think it's working for you then do it, because you're not posing a great risk to yourself in either case. I'm not trying to say that you have my permission to take biotin, OP, because you obviously took care to do your research and make the best choice for you, I'm just making my own rant about biotin. Apologies. Nice growth, though, seriously.

deja
September 14th, 2013, 10:40 AM
Before I rant for a moment, I want to say, OP, that your hair is gorgeous. I hope mine looks that lovely when I get to that length. Well done.

I just want to add to the biotin discussion. The infamous biotin rant linked by another user is just that, a rant. It's not an article. The author links to one source that backs just one point that she makes in a whole rant-full of points, and that source actually doesn't cite any research regarding the assertion (that pregnant rats miscarried). I could go on wikipedia right now and edit that biotin caused blindness in adorable puppies, but without peer reviewed research to back me up, well...

I'm glad you consulted your doctor about taking biotin. I love supplements, but what works for me may not work for someone who eats x or has y condition, so it's important to seek medical advice. Of course your doctor won't know everything, but a lot of doctors together studying the same thing probably make more justifiable conclusions than a hair care blogger: http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/infocenter/vitamins/biotin/ This is just a basic overview of what biotin is, what it does, where it comes from, and how much a person can safely take (hint: a metric ****-ton) and they cite their sources. Here's another: http://umm.edu/health/medical/altmed/supplement/vitamin-h-biotin (Go UM!)

Funny, searching for scholarly articles on biotin safety, I managed to find what the rant author couldn't and medtv wouldn't link to, the research on rat fetal and placental weight: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11800048

My issue with the biotin rant being linked to as though it were the final word on supplements, is that there is a difference for there being no research showing that biotin has a positive impact on hair and there actually being research that says biotin is not good for hair or not good for you. Yeah, there's not research supporting the claim that biotin does x good thing for my hair, so I shouldn't count on it doing x, but that doesn't automatically mean that it's hurting me to take biotin. Likewise, there also isn't research that supports the claim that megadosing on biotin is harmful and dangerous, however there actually is research that makes the opposite claim, that biotin is safe in very high doses for almost anyone. So I don't see how one could make the claim that biotin is so bad for you, when there seems to be abundant research stating that it is, in fact, quite safe in most cases. I don't care if it's effective for hair growth or not. That's like getting into the debate about cones or sulfates, if you think it's working for you then do it, because you're not posing a great risk to yourself in either case. I'm not trying to say that you have my permission to take biotin, OP, because you obviously took care to do your research and make the best choice for you, I'm just making my own rant about biotin. Apologies. Nice growth, though, seriously.

I appreciate and absolutely agree with your rant! Thanks for your input and compliment :)

jacqueline101
September 14th, 2013, 12:17 PM
Your hair looks beautiful has improved a lot.

stachelbeere
September 14th, 2013, 04:45 PM
very very pretty :D

Allychan
September 14th, 2013, 08:31 PM
Hey, thanks! And yes, she is Indian and the Indian oils & herbs she uses really worked well for her. She used to put them in both of our hair when I was younger and I have no idea what they are/where I would get them/if they'd work for a texture like mine/etc. I'll definitely have to ask her about it because other than shampoo, that's the only thing she put in her hair. Plus, she always wore scarves outside of her house and I think that's why I like to wear hair scarves, too. They tend to be very protective.

I am in the land of Oz (Aust), hence the next question. When you say Indian, do you mean as in Native American or from India? I only ask because I have looked into a lot of the land of India Indians but not Native American hair care, which I would love to look into but time is no friend of mine.

Sounds like she did the usual healthy hair care routine ie regular oiling, avoiding overuse of products, and protecting it. You are sitting on a wealth of information curious minds like mine would like to know more of. Infact you could start a whole new thread titled: My Nana says... lol

gypsyeyes
September 14th, 2013, 08:49 PM
Your hair looks beautiful & grew quite a bit it looks like in those six-seven months. Just imagine where you'll be hair wise in the next six months. :)

deja
September 15th, 2013, 07:42 AM
Your hair looks beautiful & grew quite a bit it looks like in those six-seven months. Just imagine where you'll be hair wise in the next six months. :)

very very pretty :D

Your hair looks beautiful has improved a lot.

Thank you guys so much! :)

deja
September 15th, 2013, 07:51 AM
I am in the land of Oz (Aust), hence the next question. When you say Indian, do you mean as in Native American or from India? I only ask because I have looked into a lot of the land of India Indians but not Native American hair care, which I would love to look into but time is no friend of mine.

Sounds like she did the usual healthy hair care routine ie regular oiling, avoiding overuse of products, and protecting it. You are sitting on a wealth of information curious minds like mine would like to know more of. Infact you could start a whole new thread titled: My Nana says... lol

Yeah, she's Indian, as in, from India haha. And that'd be a good idea! I'm definitely gonna have to give her a call and start a thread just for you!

lillithnight
September 16th, 2013, 01:34 AM
Makes me want to look into ayurvedic stuff again(your grandmothers routine). Your routine seems pretty solid and your hair awesome!

lillithnight
September 16th, 2013, 01:36 AM
Double post.

AmyBeth
September 16th, 2013, 01:56 PM
Your hair is doing beautifully! I would encourage you to put down the perms and the heat, but I know it's not my business. I just love natural hair.:o
I would like your grandmother to join and school all of us! Inquiring minds want to know! I'd love to see her hair.

SoftCurlyHair
September 16th, 2013, 03:06 PM
Well done. Keep up the good work:applause

deja
September 16th, 2013, 04:27 PM
Your hair is doing beautifully! I would encourage you to put down the perms and the heat, but I know it's not my business. I just love natural hair.:o
I would like your grandmother to join and school all of us! Inquiring minds want to know! I'd love to see her hair.

Thanks! I do usually use heat monthly but have not used it since my birthday in the beginning of July and I'm gonna see if I can hold off for three more months to make it more of a treat! Because I know how bad it is, but why must it look so good? :( And haha I just made a post with her "secrets" :p

deja
September 16th, 2013, 04:27 PM
Well done. Keep up the good work:applause

Thank you!!

deja
September 16th, 2013, 04:28 PM
Makes me want to look into ayurvedic stuff again(your grandmothers routine). Your routine seems pretty solid and your hair awesome!

Hey I just made a thread on her tips but yeah, I'm gonna look more into it online.
And thanks!