PDA

View Full Version : Hair Color, Help Needed

Komao
September 13th, 2013, 07:31 AM
Has anyone tried L'Oreal Healthy Look Creme Gloss?

It's semi permanent no ammonia.

Do you think this product is safe for hair? That is my main concern as my priority is growing my hair long but if I can, I would like to enhance my color. It states it makes your hair very shiny.

If you have tried another brand and were happy with it,
please let me know.

I use to use a color foam that had no ammonia or peroxide. It's no longer sold. Almost all of the products that I researched have some peroxide.

Thanks for your help. :o

Hairitic
September 13th, 2013, 08:34 AM
What is your starting color and what color are you trying to achieve? I personally don't trust any chemical coloring product.

Komao
September 13th, 2013, 08:39 AM
I have medium brown with a bit of auburn. I mostly want to cover a few grays and thought this would enhance my hair color at the same time. I have read some about henna but I need to read more as it seems a little complicated!

fairview
September 13th, 2013, 08:58 AM
If you are simply trying to enhance your color why not use a color enhancing shampoo or conditioner? That's what this sounds like but you are probably paying a lot more for a name for a whole lot less product. Deposit only colors will not lighten hair color and only blend grey up to a certain percentage before it looks 'off'.

Think of hair durability as either denim or silk. Most European hair falls on the silk side of durability and you need to be concerned with damage while Hispanic, Latino, Indian (India) type hair can be compared to denim and can tolerate gentle abuse a lot better. While YMMV, by definition a semi is only going to last up to 3 weeks while a demi will last from 4-6 weeks depending on frequency of washing and if you are using a color safe shampoo and conditioner. The question to be asked if you are concerned about the potential for damage (which I think in most cases is misplaced if directions are read and followed) to maintain the desired results is it better to apply 2x the frequency of one product or half that of a very similar but longer lasting product.

If you have concerns do a test strand before you do a full application. It constantly amazes me that for all the dedication there is for long hair on the forum, a lot of the 'OMG!!! HELP ME, I MESSED UP MY HAIR POSTS' could be 100% eliminated if everyone did test strands before slathering their hair in a new and unproven technique or application. It's seems like such a foreign concept here. Better to sacrifice a couple dozen strands than a full head.

Komao
September 13th, 2013, 09:15 AM
Hi fairview, could you give me the name of a color enhancing conditioner. I wash my hair once a week.
I really only want it for special occasions. Hopefully any gray I have will sort of blend. I feel that's all I need, for now.
I was looking at deposit only color but the ones I saw had peroxide.
I don't have much coloring experience, so please forgive me if not understanding it all:o
I always pay attention to directions and I always do a test strand.
The color foam I use to use was just to enhance color and it did blend any gray with no ammonia or peroxide but since they no longer sell it, I was hoping someone knew of a similar product. Thanks so much:o

Firefox7275
September 13th, 2013, 09:24 AM
Has anyone tried L'Oreal Healthy Look Creme Gloss?

It's semi permanent no ammonia. Do you think this product is safe for hair? That is my main concern as my priority is growing my hair long but if I can, I would like to enhance my color. It states it makes your hair very shiny.

If you have tried another brand and were happy with it,
please let me know.

I use to use a color foam that had no ammonia or peroxide. It's no longer sold. Almost all of the products that I researched have some peroxide.

Thanks for your help. :o

If it contains peroxide I'd describe it as a demi permanent not a semi permanent, it will damage your hair with repeated use. Ammonia is not the most damaging part of the product it just smells bad, it will only be replaced by another alkaline agent in a permanent or demi permanent product. It makes your hair shiny because it contains silicones. Looks like Sallys distinguish between semi permanent and demi permanent on their website.

fairview
September 13th, 2013, 09:40 AM
Hi fairview, could you give me the name of a color enhancing conditioner. I wash my hair once a week.

Sorry can't help you there as far as specific names but you'll find it very close to the box colors or just go to a beauty supply open to the retail and ask for an in between color maintenance shampoo or conditioner.

I really only want it for special occasions. Hopefully any gray I have will sort of blend. I feel that's all I need, for now.

Deposit color on any color is translucent. Think of it in the worst case scenario - Red deposited on the white between the grey equals what color? Very bright hot pink. You can get away with it while your percentage of grey is very low but when the percentage starts creeping to a more salt than pepper ratio it's time to find a true friend who will give you perhaps and honest but painful opinion.

Also their are 3 camps on this forum. One that abhors any type of application to the hair, one that believes only organic is the only way to go, and then the camp that I fall into that believes the careful and judicious use of chemicals can enhance the quality of life. I'm not going to debate the presence of ammonia and its potential for damage when used incorrectly but hydrogen peroxide? It is just slightly more reactive than water in that it gives up an atom of oxygen to the coloring process and the resulting products are water and oxygen. This is what makes modern color so much more safe than the traditional progressive colors that were damaging to the hair. Oxidative colors only process so long and then it stops. Oh well you know what camp I live in so TIFWIW.

I don't have much coloring experience, so please forgive me if not understanding it all:o
The color foam I use to use was just to enhance color and it did blend any gray with no ammonia or peroxide but since they no longer sell it, I was hoping someone knew of a similar product. Thanks so much:o

Color is not rocket science it is common sense. There are 3 primary colors and all other colors come from them. That's middle school science and as long as you remember that, you are good to go.

fairview
September 13th, 2013, 09:41 AM

Sorry can't help you there as far as specific names but you'll find it very close to the box colors or just go to a beauty supply open to the retail and ask for an in between color maintenance shampoo or conditioner.

Deposit color on any color is translucent. Think of it in the worst case scenario - Red deposited on the white between the grey equals what color? Very bright hot pink. You can get away with it while your percentage of grey is very low but when the percentage starts creeping to a more salt than pepper ratio it's time to find a true friend who will give you perhaps and honest but painful opinion.

Also their are 3 camps on this forum. One that abhors any type of application to the hair, one that believes only organic is the only way to go, and then the camp that I fall into that believes the careful and judicious use of chemicals can enhance the quality of life. I'm not going to debate the presence of ammonia and its potential for damage when used incorrectly but hydrogen peroxide? It is just slightly more reactive than water in that it gives up an atom of oxygen to the coloring process and the resulting products are water and oxygen. This is what makes modern color so much more safe than the traditional progressive colors that were damaging to the hair. Oxidative colors only process so long and then it stops. Oh well you know what camp I live in so TIFWIW.

Color is not rocket science it is common sense. There are 3 primary colors and all other colors come from them. That's middle school science and as long as you remember that, you are good to go.

Komao
September 13th, 2013, 10:44 AM
Thank you fairview for all the information and education on this matter and

thanks to Firefox7275, I will check out Sally's