PDA

View Full Version : How much should I trim?

MyKing'sQueen
September 13th, 2013, 02:40 AM
So, today I was taking my monthly length picture. I was quite a bit late on it, but anyways, instead of seeing how much my hair grew during this time, I saw how horribly thin my ends have become!:scared: I have been doing a lot of s&d, but I didn't expect such a drastic change in thickness of my hair... I was hoping to not trim until I reached tailbone, but I just can't do that now!:justy: I'm so upset right now, I want to cry...
For comparison here's my picture from 07/24
http://i1093.photobucket.com/albums/i436/AlesyaFairchild/1107242013.jpg (http://s1093.photobucket.com/user/AlesyaFairchild/media/1107242013.jpg.html)
My ends look a bit thin here, but nothing like this:

http://i1093.photobucket.com/albums/i436/AlesyaFairchild/24d83fce-1211-4787-ad61-14027c4ba887.jpg (http://s1093.photobucket.com/user/AlesyaFairchild/media/24d83fce-1211-4787-ad61-14027c4ba887.jpg.html)

Ok, so if you were me, how much would you trim?

biogirl87
September 13th, 2013, 02:46 AM
MyKing'sQueen, if I were in your shoes, I think I'd trim the bottom 2-3 inches (to the bottom of the ends on the sides) and then start microtrimming most likely. I'm not a fan of fairytale ends in general (though they may begin to happen at your current length) so the instinct is to trim to where your hair really starts to become thinner but I don't know if you can live with trimming that much as that would likely put you around BSL. Not sure what I would end up doing if I were in your place. Maybe other members will chime in with their thoughts.

höpönasu
September 13th, 2013, 03:09 AM
I would trim the ends too. Trust me, it'll be worth it.

aksown
September 13th, 2013, 03:26 AM
I'd leave them be but that's just because I'm looking at my hair twin,and apparently, scraggly end twin too. :doh: Can you put it up and practice benign neglect until you get to tailbone? I absolutely dread having to trim any hair off until I get to my goal length too.

Anabell
September 13th, 2013, 03:51 AM
first of all- your hair is beautiful. In both pictures. The ends look thinner in the second one. But I also notice that your hair is brushed out in the second picture, while you have thous nice curls in the first. The ends get more volume that way, so maybe try to take a length picture with the wavy texture and see if it still much more thinner.
If I look only on the second one I would suggest trim to waist. It looks like from there your hair became thicker. Anyway, I'm a big fun of a microtrims then a big chop, because that way you trim more often and reduce unevenness (=thinner ends) that cause by different grow rates between different strands and by no trimming for a long time (after a big chop I doubt that someone will want trim some more...).

Arien
September 13th, 2013, 03:56 AM
If it were me, I would trim the bottom 4-5 inches off to thicken the ends up. The rest of your hair looks nice and thick :).

deja
September 13th, 2013, 04:11 AM
I would only trim the bottom three inches and let it grow from there. Or keep hiding the ends in protective styles until you reach your goal and then cut, if that's important to you.

sarahthegemini
September 13th, 2013, 04:50 AM
Even though your ends are thin, I still think your hair looks lovely. If it were me, I'd trim about 2 inches - I don't think it's necessary to trim more as even with just a 2 inch trim, your ends will look more even. Then perhaps wear protective styles til goal length is achieved.

XcaliburGirl
September 13th, 2013, 05:50 AM
I think you hair looks beautiful. I like fairytale ends though.

If you can't stand them, then based on that picture, I'd say trim at the point where your thumbs are placed. You can always take more off later if it dcoesn't seem enough.

Also, I agree that a comparison where the hair is wavy like the first picture may make you feel better about it, assuming you did something a little different for the second.

lulana
September 13th, 2013, 07:27 AM
I just would cut only 2-3 inches and then see if you need to cut more, sometimes even the little trimms can make a big improvement! But you have to decide if you would like to cut it at all, are those thin ends very tangly? if not you don't have to cut them at all they can also be a bit of protection if you grow to tailbone :confused:

Lady Mary
September 13th, 2013, 07:52 AM
Oh no, it's beautiful... I wouldn't trim at all. I love the delicate spirals at the bottom. Whatever you choose, it will look lovely.

lapushka
September 13th, 2013, 07:56 AM
I would trim between 2 & 3 inches also, in a slight U-shape. You know Feye's method already, right? If not, here's the link:
http://feyeselftrim.livejournal.com/

jacqueline101
September 13th, 2013, 08:03 AM
I'd trim off 3 to 4 inches.

Panth
September 13th, 2013, 01:21 PM
I agree completely with this:

I think you hair looks beautiful. I like fairytale ends though.

If you can't stand them, then based on that picture, I'd say trim at the point where your thumbs are placed. You can always take more off later if it dcoesn't seem enough.

Also, I agree that a comparison where the hair is wavy like the first picture may make you feel better about it, assuming you did something a little different for the second.

GrowingGlory
September 13th, 2013, 02:16 PM
I would not trim a beautiful fairytale hem if it was not damaged.

martyna_22
September 13th, 2013, 02:24 PM
Your hair is sensational! Seriously, I love it, even with fairytale ends. If you don't like them, though, I'd advise you to trim no more than 2-3 inches. Still, it's amazing just the way it is.

MyKing'sQueen
September 13th, 2013, 02:29 PM
Thank you so much for the replies, everyone!:flowers: I do realize that the texture looks different in the second picture, mostly because in the first one I let it drip dry, and in the second one I blotted it with my microfiber towel because I was in a rush. I took a picture of it uncombed first and it looked even worse, so I combed it. I'll be washing my hair tomorrow and I will let it drip dry to see if that makes any difference, if not-I'll be trimming 2-3 inches off to see if that helps. I'll post a picture tomorrow so you guys can help me decide. Thank you again!

bunzfan
September 13th, 2013, 02:30 PM
Hey not seen you in ages, my hair does the exact same thing I know everyone is telling you to trim inches I don't think it's needed my hair looks a but like TGA. Right now I'm holding out until I reach my goal of tbl and going with the fte. Half inch at the most when did you last trim? I also agree brushing our hair type can make it look entirely different ;)

MyKing'sQueen
September 13th, 2013, 02:37 PM
Hey not seen you in ages, my hair does the exact same thing I know everyone is telling you to trim inches I don't think it's needed my hair looks a but like TGA. Right now I'm holding out until I reach my goal of tbl and going with the fte. Half inch at the most when did you last trim? I also agree brushing our hair type can make it look entirely different ;)

Hi, I know, without the e-mail notifications I've been forgetting to check in here:oops: My last trim was July 11, I only trimmed about 0.5 in. Your hair looks beautiful by the way!

MyKing'sQueen
September 13th, 2013, 02:42 PM
I do have quite a few splits, btw. I've been experimenting with catnip for about a month, but I know I have damage from the years before (bleaching, dyeing, heat, etc.)

bunzfan
September 13th, 2013, 02:44 PM
Hi, I know, without the e-mail notifications I've been forgetting to check in here:oops: My last trim was July 11, I only trimmed about 0.5 in. Your hair looks beautiful by the way!
In that case you shouldn't need to trim hardly anything you trimmed more recently than me lol, half inch at most of half that maybe.. Aww thanks I'm getting there slowly.

dulce
September 13th, 2013, 02:45 PM
I'm going to chime in with something different,my hair was like yours[thinner, spirally ends] at tailbone but I didn't want to lose a lot of length so had a v hem cut.The sides were shaped and the very tip of the v had just a bit cut off to shape to a v point.My
hair has regained it's curl and looks much thicker yet ironically feels much lighter.

MyKing'sQueen
September 13th, 2013, 02:52 PM
I'm going to chime in with something different,my hair was like yours[thinner, spirally ends] at tailbone but I didn't want to lose a lot of length so had a v hem cut.The sides were shaped and the very tip of the v had just a bit cut off to shape to a v point.My
hair has regained it's curl and looks much thicker yet ironically feels much lighter.
I really like how your hair looks in your avatar! I will definitely consider that!

Leeloo
September 13th, 2013, 02:58 PM
I’d trim half an inch and start putting in up more (if you haven’t been already), then let those ends get the most of the damage that your hair is getting right now and then in a month or so trim another half inch and so on. Have you tried catnip rinses to control taper?

Jenny31557
September 13th, 2013, 03:36 PM
If it were me I would maybe maintain at hip for a couple of months and then start microtrimming my way down to tailbone. Good luck with whatever you choose :)

Macaroni
September 13th, 2013, 03:59 PM
I would trim to where your thumbnails are positioned, that will thicken the hemline without losing too much length.

MyKing'sQueen
September 13th, 2013, 04:14 PM
Leeloo, I actually have been doing catnip treatments for about a month now, trying to prevent the splits, but I'm not seeing much difference yet.

Jenny31557 , Macaroni , I believe that's what I will end up doing if it's not looking better tomorrow.

cathair
September 13th, 2013, 04:58 PM
If you don't have problems with it being really tangly at the bottom and can comb it without it breaking then I don't see why you need to trim it really. Unless it would make you feel better to have blunter ends. I am probably biased though, as I have fairy tail ends which are as thin if not thinner than yours.

I would try taking another picture tomorrow uncombed and seeing how it compares to these two. The ends do look fluffed out to me, are they newly washed and combed or brushed? That makes mine look more wispy.

spidermom
September 13th, 2013, 05:15 PM
I think the shape is beautiful. I'd keep that lovely steep U or V shape, trimming back the longest bits by only 2 inches.

Carolyn
September 13th, 2013, 06:54 PM
If it was my hair I would trim to where your thumbs are positioned. Then re-evaluate after a while and see if I wanted to trim more. While I think fairy tale ends are lovely on someone else, I have never liked them on me. I say that so you know where I am coming from.

dulce
September 13th, 2013, 06:56 PM
MyKing's Queen,that was before my cut!!tried to post a pic to avatar but couldn't..

KittyBird
September 14th, 2013, 03:51 AM
I don't think you should trim at all, I think your hair looks magnificent, very fairytale princess-y. If you do decide to trim, you really don't need to cut off that much. 1" maybe? Also, 2-week rule. Don't do anything rash right away, but wait a bit and see if you really think your ends look that 'bad'. It could be that your ends just looked more thin and wispy than usual in that picture. :)

FuzzyBlackWaves
September 14th, 2013, 04:35 AM
I'd trim to just above waist. It's possible that some of your shorter hairs will catch up if you maintain where you are though.

cranberrymoonz
September 14th, 2013, 06:09 AM
You have very lovely hair, Myking'sQueen! I totally love the slight farytailing on your waves. I believe that the difference in both pictures is partially due to having brushed out hair in the latter. If you If I were you and I'd like to thicken it up a bit, I'd just do microtrims and trim of half the growth rate until I reach tailbone, then start maintaining at tailbone util the ends are to my liking.

MyKing'sQueen
September 14th, 2013, 05:26 PM
MyKing's Queen,that was before my cut!!tried to post a pic to avatar but couldn't..
Oh, if it looked so good then I can only imagine how lovely it is now!

MyKing'sQueen
September 14th, 2013, 05:28 PM
Ok, I took another picture today, after I let it drip dry like in the first picture. What do you guys think? Eta: sorry it's humongous, I couldn't resize it on my phone.
http://i1093.photobucket.com/albums/i436/AlesyaFairchild/null_zpsb315879f.jpg

MyKing'sQueen
September 15th, 2013, 03:34 PM
Guys, I'm still waiting for your input:-)

spidermom
September 15th, 2013, 04:52 PM
I think it looks good, but a 2-inch trim (approximately) would enhance the beauty of those ends, I think. I notice you have a couple of longer strands on the right side; I'd want them to be more in line with the other strands.

But that's just my opinion, and opinions are like a-holes. We all have one, and most of them stink.

MyKing'sQueen
September 15th, 2013, 04:58 PM
Haha, yes, I noticed those longer strands on the right too, will have to get rid of them. Thank you for your reply))

CrazyDaysHair
September 16th, 2013, 03:43 PM
So, today I was taking my monthly length picture. I was quite a bit late on it, but anyways, instead of seeing how much my hair grew during this time, I saw how horribly thin my ends have become!:scared: I have been doing a lot of s&d, but I didn't expect such a drastic change in thickness of my hair... I was hoping to not trim until I reached tailbone, but I just can't do that now!:justy: I'm so upset right now, I want to cry...
For comparison here's my picture from 07/24
http://i1093.photobucket.com/albums/i436/AlesyaFairchild/1107242013.jpg (http://s1093.photobucket.com/user/AlesyaFairchild/media/1107242013.jpg.html)
My ends look a bit thin here, but nothing like this:

http://i1093.photobucket.com/albums/i436/AlesyaFairchild/24d83fce-1211-4787-ad61-14027c4ba887.jpg (http://s1093.photobucket.com/user/AlesyaFairchild/media/24d83fce-1211-4787-ad61-14027c4ba887.jpg.html)

Ok, so if you were me, how much would you trim?

Based on the second picture, if you want strictly thick hair, I would go with trimming to waist length, then maintaining the thickness by microtrimming and gentle care. The first picture your hair looks stunning and absolutely gorgeous :D If you were to keep that look with the curliness, I would keep growing it out.

akuamoonmaui
September 16th, 2013, 03:53 PM
My vote is right about waist, also. I didn't like my hem either, so I kept trimming to get it fuller, I'm glad I did.

Here are some pics that show the before and after.

Approximately a year ago?

http://i1223.photobucket.com/albums/dd511/akuamoonmaui/22ec2eba-0a75-4ccf-abb5-20e2a795f101.jpg?t=1379368960

to "today"
http://i1223.photobucket.com/albums/dd511/akuamoonmaui/8db7db7b-1765-4b57-8693-81126b323131.jpg?t=1379368905

Although I lost a lot of "time" by doing this, I'm really happy with the result.

ositarosita
September 16th, 2013, 10:41 PM
NOTHING .. you have the most beautiful fairytale ends.. at the most if you really wanted to do something 1"-2".

aksown
September 16th, 2013, 11:30 PM
Ok, I'd say even up the hemline but leave the fairy tale ends alone until tailbone. I think your row of curls is lovely!

Silverbrumby
September 16th, 2013, 11:32 PM
Two inches tops and don't S&D. Microtrim insTead. I bet some of the straggles and uneven is due to enthusiastic s&d.

MyKing'sQueen
September 17th, 2013, 01:28 AM
Thank you for all the suggestions!
CrazyDaysHair Thank you! I don't think I want to go all the way back to waist yet. I'll probably trim a couple inches and if I'm not happy I might maintain there for a while.
akuamoonmaui Even though I think the first picture looks good, the second one does look better! Well done!
ositarosita, aksown Thank you:blossom: That's what I was thinking, 2 inches should do it.
Silverbrumby Yep, no more s&d for me. Unfortunately I had to learn the hard way :doh:
I'm trimming tomorrow. Excited!

Naiadryade
September 17th, 2013, 02:20 AM
Comparing the 3 pictures, I think the thin look of the 2nd one is mostly due to the combed-out texture. The 3rd picture looks a lot more like the 1st to me - sure, some fairytale curls, but nothing I'd call super thin! I think it's beautiful and you should leave it as it is, just maybe even out those extra long strands on the right so they're in line with the rest. And then just don't comb your hair if you're going to wear it down.

Just my :twocents:

kitekats
September 17th, 2013, 03:09 AM
Trim only where you see the thinning, you'll have a nice round hemline then:)

bunzfan
September 17th, 2013, 08:50 AM
Going off your third picture your ends dont look that thin they look just like mine in fact :lol: its our hair texture i did find a u shape enhances the wave pattern beautifully, if you are considering going with a v shape like dulce's beautiful hair just be aware there probably would be quite alot of taper if you wear it up alot.

alexis917
September 17th, 2013, 01:39 PM
Your hair is so long and pretty on you!
Why not just microtrim and maintain where you are to see if the thickness travels down a bit more, before going for something more drastic?

Coolcombination
September 17th, 2013, 01:41 PM
Can't wait to see!! I'd jump in and agree that you just need your ends evened up and a 2" trim

Liz_park
September 17th, 2013, 01:47 PM
First of all, I would just like to say that your hair is absolutely gorgeous! Congrats on making it to the length you have!

I do understand the urge to trim tattered ends, but your hair looks great. I would do a tiny self- trim, maybe 1 inch, and then repost a photo and we can all help you decide if you need to take off any more.

SleepyTangles
September 17th, 2013, 01:59 PM
I'd trim to waist-lenght, if it was my decision (sorry, I'm not used to think in inches...): your hair is so gorgeous, with this colour, the shine and the lenght, it would be a shame to let damage/dryness travel further up.

Maybe you can pamper the ends a little, then decide if and how much you want to cut...

sourgrl
September 17th, 2013, 02:08 PM
I wouldn't trim any. I'm amazed at the difference between drip drying and towl drying. Your beautiful hair has inspired me to drip dry. :blossom:

MyKing'sQueen
September 17th, 2013, 02:54 PM
Oh, thanks for the replies everyone! I just trimmed about 2 inches and I love how even my ends look now! They're not super thick but better than they were. I'm not going to post a picture yet because my hair is heavily oiled at the moment. But I'm washing it Thursday and I'll post then. Thank you so so much for all the advice you've given me! I was ready to chop to bsl when I saw my second picture and lose all the progress from all these years but thanks to all of you I can keep most of my length and keep growing!:blossom:
sourgrl I didn't even realize the difference before I took the pictures! But now I know)) Would love to see your before and after pictures when you try!

MyKing'sQueen
September 20th, 2013, 02:39 AM
Here's the result of my trim
http://i1093.photobucket.com/albums/i436/AlesyaFairchild/null_zpsa3a4f9e8.jpg (http://s1093.photobucket.com/user/AlesyaFairchild/media/null_zpsa3a4f9e8.jpg.html)
Thanks again, everyone who responded!

cathair
September 20th, 2013, 12:33 PM
I think you did the right thing :) It looks very even. Did you self trim? If so great job!

MyKing'sQueen
September 21st, 2013, 03:18 AM
I think you did the right thing :) It looks very even. Did you self trim? If so great job!
Thank you! Yes, I self-trimmed using the Feye's method:)

bunzfan
September 21st, 2013, 07:20 AM
Here's the result of my trim
http://i1093.photobucket.com/albums/i436/AlesyaFairchild/null_zpsa3a4f9e8.jpg (http://s1093.photobucket.com/user/AlesyaFairchild/media/null_zpsa3a4f9e8.jpg.html)
Thanks again, everyone who responded!

It looks lovely :crush: that looks hip length to me still??

MyKing'sQueen
September 21st, 2013, 03:19 PM
It looks lovely :crush: that looks hip length to me still??
Thank you, bunzfan!:flower: Yes, I'm back to hip now, I was brushing BCL before the trim, but I should be back there by December I hope))

nakima
September 21st, 2013, 04:11 PM
I think if it were me I would do a small trim to longest length,clarify and then moisturize. I see a little dryness in the second picture compared to the first.Hope this helps.BTW you have very pretty hair :)

nakima
September 21st, 2013, 04:14 PM
oops sorry for the late response he!he! your hair looks awsome! very healthy!

MyKing'sQueen
September 22nd, 2013, 02:42 AM
oops sorry for the late response he!he! your hair looks awsome! very healthy!
That's ok)) Thank you:flower: