PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else hate their hair the day you wash it??

Nadine <3
September 12th, 2013, 02:53 PM
I hate my hair on wash day.

I figured that would be the day I would love my hair the most, but it poofs out and I have a lot of little baby hairs that fluff and stick out everywhere. Why did I ever do this everyday?! It drives me mad! My 2nd day hair is much smoother and seems to even look shinier, I wash at night, wait for it to dry (my entire head dries in 15-20 mins lol) then I put it into a french braid and sleep on it. This way I get to skip my floofy day. Does anyone else have this problem? I'm hoping it will fix itself when I get some more length to weigh it down...

deja
September 12th, 2013, 02:56 PM
The day I was my hair is the best for me so were completely opposite lol

Nadine <3
September 12th, 2013, 02:59 PM
The day I was my hair is the best for me so were completely opposite lol

I would have thought I would hate 2nd day hair and love it when I wash...My thin, short hair is just wavy enough to make my look like a crazy person. LOL Should have never lopped it off and gotten layers...What was I thinking?!

sarahthegemini
September 12th, 2013, 03:00 PM
I think my hair looks best on wash day :o You're definitely not the only one with his concern though, I've seen it mentioned on here a fair amount of times that wash day = bad hair day for some people so youre not alone :p

Selchie
September 12th, 2013, 03:05 PM
Ugh, my hair is just like yours. I solve this with >>>> Braids. : (

meteor
September 12th, 2013, 03:06 PM
I notice the same thing as the OP.
My hair looks very dry and fly-away during the first 2 days after I wash it.
After learning to stretch my washes up to 10 days, my best hair days are on days 4-8.

goldcopperbrown
September 12th, 2013, 03:07 PM
I hate my hair on wash day.

I figured that would be the day I would love my hair the most, but it poofs out and I have a lot of little baby hairs that fluff and stick out everywhere. Why did I ever do this everyday?! It drives me mad! My 2nd day hair is much smoother and seems to even look shinier, I wash at night, wait for it to dry (my entire head dries in 15-20 mins lol) then I put it into a french braid and sleep on it. This way I get to skip my floofy day. Does anyone else have this problem? I'm hoping it will fix itself when I get some more length to weigh it down...

Wellll I wash my hair almost every day (it's seemingly mandatory because of all the sweat from working out) but I do notice that when I use more oils, or when I wash with conditioner my hair looks nicer.

Nadine <3
September 12th, 2013, 03:12 PM
I notice the same thing as the OP.
My hair looks very dry and fly-away during the first 2 days after I wash it.
After learning to stretch my washes up to 10 days, my best hair days are on days 4-8.

Trying to do the same! I went from every day, every other day, and now I'm working on stretching it to every third day. My hair seems to actually like it. My scalp gets itchy on the third day, but a nice scalp massage has solved that. I should just put it into a braid and forget about it for a week. lol

Firefox7275
September 12th, 2013, 03:56 PM
Used to have a really poofy/ fluffy day, until I quit shampooing with sulphates and other anionic surfactants that affect the electrical charge on hair. Since switching to Curly Girl first day is the best hair.

oktobergoud
September 12th, 2013, 03:57 PM
Same here! My hair is so fluffy and frizzy the first day, it simply can NOT be tamed, no matter how much I oil it etc. etc.

shutterpillar
September 12th, 2013, 04:04 PM
*raises hand*

I ike the volume I get on wash day, but my hair is fluffy and frizzy as well. Gels, creams, oils, and things of that nature just weigh it down since it's so fine. :( I just try to focus on conditioning well while in the shower and doing deep treatments every so often before I wash my hair. ACV does help a little, though.

I wish I could have wash day roots with the day after wash day length - then it would be perfect. :p

door72067
September 12th, 2013, 04:06 PM
depends on what I'm doing with it...down, it looks better freshly washed, wearing it up, second, third & 4th days are best...by the 5th I generally need to wash, but not always

NataschaB.
September 12th, 2013, 04:37 PM
My hair is exactly like yours. It poofs out and is quite frizzy. It gets a lot better after I've slept on it, like yours it's much more smooth and less frizzy :D

jacqueline101
September 12th, 2013, 04:45 PM
Mine looks okay I hate the hassle since I've been busy.

prettyinpink
September 12th, 2013, 04:51 PM
I just washed my hair today, and it feels so smooth! it gets rough after a few days of no shampoo

Kitten1030
September 12th, 2013, 04:56 PM
I too hate my wash day poofy hair.Day 2 and 3 are ok but then it's down hill from there again. I usually wash after 5 to 7 days. Oh well, my hair any day after finding LHC and hendigo instead of chemical dye is still way better than my best day pre LHC.Thanks to all of you!

Not Lynn Merely
September 12th, 2013, 05:05 PM
*raises hand*

I ike the volume I get on wash day, but my hair is fluffy and frizzy as well. Gels, creams, oils, and things of that nature just weigh it down since it's so fine. :( I just try to focus on conditioning well while in the shower and doing deep treatments every so often before I wash my hair. ACV does help a little, though.

I wish I could have wash day roots with the day after wash day length - then it would be perfect. :p

Maybe you could switch to just washing your scalp. That seems like it would suit your hair.

Anje
September 12th, 2013, 05:13 PM
Fluffy little baby hairs, yep!

I get them mostly when I'm shampooing rather than CO washing, though even CO can cause it to some extent. (Stupid fringe requires shampooing. Yet another reason I need to get it grown out!) Typically, it's a sign of having wavy or curly hair if you fight with this. Different wash methods can help, but I maintain that my baby hairs curl for about the first 4 inches of growth, then switch to being barely wavy. I've resigned myself to always having some frizz popping out because of this. :shrug:

jeanniet
September 12th, 2013, 05:14 PM
I wouldn't say I hate it, and it's usually the day it looks best, but it takes soooooo long to dry completely that it makes my head feel really humid and that's annoying.

XcaliburGirl
September 12th, 2013, 05:20 PM
For me, everyday is wash day. My hair does get poofy and frizzy, but I put it up, so I don't care too much.

shutterpillar
September 12th, 2013, 05:51 PM
Maybe you could switch to just washing your scalp. That seems like it would suit your hair.

I've tried. :( Right now I am washing my scalp only with shampoo every other day, and conditioning my length. My issue is that I don't want to wash my hair every day if I don't need to, and I don't. My scalp feels wonky if I wash every day... it seems to be happiest right now with my every other day routine. It really does look decent on the day after wash day, just a bit flat on top for my liking. I usually wear it up in some way or another that day anyway. :shrug:

Sharysa
September 12th, 2013, 06:34 PM
I hate my hair on wash day because it's limp, my frizz halo sticks out, AND it takes forever to dry. Day 2 hair means my hair is dry AND clean.

woodswanderer
September 12th, 2013, 06:35 PM
I'm only hating mine the first 3-4 hours to air dry.

Magalo
September 12th, 2013, 08:24 PM
I don't hate it the day I wash, but I prefer 2nd day hair. On the day I wash my hair is very sleek, so it looks thinner (both loose or bunned/braided). It's fluffier and look more voluminous on day 2 after I slept with my braid. :)

Kayla Nyx
September 12th, 2013, 09:26 PM
I love washing my hair, and the day after is always the best. (granted I dont often stretch my washes) When I do try stretching, my scalp gets really itchy and it looks very greasy so.. every day is fresh hair for me! :)

aisha.christine
September 12th, 2013, 09:35 PM
Ugh, I am with you.
My hair is a giant fluff ball after I wash it.
My roommate always sings the Lion King theme song (Circle of Life) after I wash my hair.
Day 2 and beyond is fantastic. I wash it about once a week, so it's nice up until day 6 when it becomes an oil slick.

kittykat86
September 12th, 2013, 09:42 PM
I really do not like my hair after it is washed because it is too sleek but also frizzy. I think I mistyped my hair. Day 2 hair for me is much better. Then again, my hair is really heavy when it is wet so I just bun my hair when it is wet. It usually dries before bed.

ProverbsGirl
September 12th, 2013, 09:59 PM
Back when I washed daily, blow dried and curled. I loved 'wash day' and hated day old hair. Now that I stopped doing all of that stuff..it is very different. I no longer wash during the day, only at night. Then I braid it. If I have to wash during the day and let it dry..I hate it. It gets pulled and tugged and just looks bad.

If I wash if at night and braid it I love the first day hair..the next day. Lol but the second day hair isn't too bad either.
Definitely do not like freshly washed first day hair. Ouch.

Crumpet
September 12th, 2013, 10:07 PM
Yup. Same here. And I always feel bad because everyone on the LHC has amazing hair. Mine is a blonde nightmare on washday, which is the only day I have it down for any length of time.

spirals
September 12th, 2013, 10:21 PM
Unless it's unbelieveably humid, it looks best on wash day. It's moisturized and as curly as it will get. But if I feel like wearing it up that day, it's a pain to tame it.

CurlyCap
September 13th, 2013, 01:55 AM
Wash = cowash? Fantastic day!

Wash = shampoo? $$%&^^%$!!!!

amalieDK
September 13th, 2013, 03:07 AM
I feel so too! On my washday many hairs sticks out everywhere like yours, so I definitely prefer the day that comes after the washday. I suppose it's the oil from the scalp that spreads in the hair, and therefore, it makes the hair more flat and calm on the 2nd day. So yes, I definitely recognize the issue :)

Ambystoma
September 13th, 2013, 08:47 AM
Yeah, I loathe washday mostly because my hair takes 8 - 12 hours to fully dry depending on the temperature, and turns into a weird frizzy mess while damp. I've had a lot of luck using the "twist your hair into coils/tubes" method, but if I need to do something then it has to go up and out of the way, and so takes even longer to dry :rant:. Day 2 and 3 are my good hair days.

Nope
September 14th, 2013, 03:32 PM
My hair looks best on wash day when it's long, but at pixie length it just looks like an Afro the first day :P

Carolyn
September 14th, 2013, 03:56 PM
Wash day is the only day it looks good. And it's the only day I like the way it looks. I simply tolerate it on other days.

BrendaLoan
September 14th, 2013, 07:55 PM
Me!! My hair looks much better the day after washing it

jupiterinleo
September 15th, 2013, 07:40 PM
Yes! It looks and feels way better after I've slept on it. It must smooth it down. After it dries on wash day it's so... puffy and frizzy.

MadameV
September 15th, 2013, 08:16 PM
I don't hate my hair on wash day. It feels just like it always did before I started really taking care of it. The difference is that now I LOVE how it feels the second day. It's more like wash day is an acceptable baseline and everything else is bonus awesomeness.

DreamWalker
September 15th, 2013, 08:33 PM
I don't hate it, but I don't like washing it in general, because it takes soooooo long to dry, and I cannot comb it out until it's totally dry because it'll just tangle. Usually though, it feels pretty nice on wash day (unless it's being ornery, in which case it's all clumpy and weird), I just have to be patient and let it air-dry for a few hours before I can touch it.

MaryO
September 16th, 2013, 06:36 AM
Mmm, I think I actually prefer my hair on wash day. I usually do a little spin pin bun and air dry. But I love it when the lottle hairs stick up and out, for some reason it looks ethereal to me, not sure where I get the idea from! ;-)

lapushka
September 16th, 2013, 07:07 AM
If it's floofy on wash day, you might be wavier than you think. What hairtype do you have? Are you in the 1s, 2s or 3s, possibly 4s?

Stray_mind
September 16th, 2013, 07:09 AM
Well, i don't "hate" my hair, but it gets difficult to manage, poofs out and tangles as crazy, so i have to be very patient to not rip all tangles off :D

Killahkurlz
September 16th, 2013, 08:30 AM
Hmm, I don't like my wash day because it's a long process. Wash day is also my detangle day so this could be the main reason...and then the sitting and waiting for oils and conditioners to set...and then needing to moisturize it before i need to protective style it....it's a long process lol.

merrow
October 25th, 2013, 02:21 PM
My hair only looks wacky if I sleep on it right after I've washed it/wet it.

summergreen
October 25th, 2013, 04:04 PM
I can't wash my hair and then go out the same day unless it's an emergency! It would be sooo frizzy. It needs to be slept on.

HintOfMint
October 25th, 2013, 06:04 PM
My hair isn't ideal immediately after I wash it, but I've found that a pre-wash oiling with coconut or olive oil helps with the "poof" immensely. That, combined with a really good leave-in, helps wash day hair become much more tolerable. It's still not as great as second day hair, but it's not a giant frizzball.

Marron
October 25th, 2013, 06:18 PM
I hate my hair when it's washed. It's poofy and frizzy and I have to take several measures to smoothen it and reduze my curls. Thus, I prefer scalpwash as it leaves my layers in a smooth condition :)

raej
October 25th, 2013, 06:21 PM
Same with me too! Wash day is fluff, fluff, fluff! If it wear it in a bun wash day, the next is a super shiny day!

Rio040113
October 25th, 2013, 07:22 PM
I love my hair on wash day(s) but being a 1a I can't say as I get much floofy-ness... ever! :lol:

Eniratak
October 25th, 2013, 07:50 PM
I'm the same way. I don't necessarily hate my hair on washday, but it isn't my favorite.

I came up with a solution. After I wash and comb through, I pull all my hair back into a damp bun and leave it. When I take it down, it will still be damp, but the frizz will be gone and it feels super smooth.
That's how I always turn my wash days around.

dwell_in_safety
October 25th, 2013, 08:19 PM
My hair is... okaaaaay on wash day. I like my third day hair the best. If I wore it down, that would be the day I'd pick to do so. It's perfect then.

Macaroni
October 25th, 2013, 10:09 PM
On the contrary, it's at its softest and most manageable the day of washing, still good the second day but by the third day, not so soft.

martyna_22
October 25th, 2013, 11:46 PM
I hate my hair straight after washing! These baby hairs keep floating all over the place and texture is horrible. I have to wait a lot of time before it behaves...

RubberDucky
October 26th, 2013, 03:35 AM
Before, when I had long hair, I absolutely hated washing day: my hair always dried into a huge triangle shaped "roof", no matter if I air dried or used a hair dryer. And air drying took ages - if I washed in the morning, some parts were still damp 8 hours later :( Second day hair always looked much better.

I'm growing my hair again and have started using CO washing - it's actually not that bad now. The layers are a bit messy at this stage (shaggy helmet hair), but I'm definitely seeing an improvement.

oktobergoud
October 26th, 2013, 03:37 AM
Yes! My hair is one big ball of fluffy fluff haha! It gets better after day 2 or 3, more smooth and flat I guess?

Hybris
October 26th, 2013, 05:22 AM
Once (some 10 years ago) I got called a Valkyrie by a bouncer in a club on my wash day. :D Fiery red hennaed hair and a lot of it (my hair had a completely different color with henna back then.
My hair can get so HUGE if I don't use oils just after washing it. It didn't bother me so much then, but now I make sure I tame it before going out of the house, unless I'm in a mood to scare little kids with it. :D

NaseberryPie
October 26th, 2013, 06:59 AM
I don't really hate my hair on wash day, but I hate how tangled my ends get after airdrying. I always airdry in 4 large plaits and when I undo them to style my hair, my ends just stick together. I keep on having to trim them.

Almendra
October 26th, 2013, 08:44 AM
Yes, my hair is unmanageable, fluffy and frizzy when I wash it :(
At least it is the only day my roots stay clean.

shola-faye
October 26th, 2013, 10:25 AM
Not really. It's a bit poofy but I can leave it in a braid for an hour (the longer the better) and it's smooth.

Johannah
October 26th, 2013, 11:46 AM
I only hate it the day before I wash it :hmm:

Robot Ninja
October 26th, 2013, 12:30 PM
Yep. It's frizzy and feels weird and kinda stringy...maybe because I use too much coconut oil, I don't know, but after I sleep on it it looks great.

nakima
October 26th, 2013, 01:25 PM
I use to love my hair the day I washed but now since joining this site and going longer in between washes I like my hair the second day better.

sumidha
October 26th, 2013, 04:47 PM
That used to happen to me all the time when I was working out what the best method for washing my hair was. Now I can usually avoid it.... I try and take advantage of the super volume to do big, poofy styles I wouldn't be able to accomplish with my 'normal' hair. It's kind of like damage free backcombing?

lapushka
October 26th, 2013, 05:07 PM
I'm thinking I'm the only exception here. :lol: I *love* my hair on wash day, precisely because it's so light and fluffy and wavy (not frizzy though, but after conditioning twice, a leave-in and serum, there's bound to be no frizz).

Kate_1221
October 26th, 2013, 05:10 PM
I don't like wash day either. My hair gets really poofy and only seems to behave again the day after washes. That's why I never washed my hair every day, even before I was aware of all the possibilities of 'alternative' haircare. I now usually only wash my hair once every three days.

Andeee
October 27th, 2013, 12:36 AM
My hair looks great when it's just been washed--thick, wavy, some spiral curls, full. Right *before* I wash it is another story altogether--since I've been stretching my washes, this time I've gone a week and two days and it was flat with halo frizz and all the waves and curls long since brushed out and it probably didn't smell too nice, either!

citywolfe72
October 27th, 2013, 06:49 PM
I hated washing my hair , but now I love washing it ! . . . For one , since I've started taking better care of it , and pampering it , it is silky , and feels wonderful . . . And for another reason , I love for wash day to roll around because my BH helps me with it . . . While it is drying , he combs it with a wide tooth comb till it dries . . . Which is our special time together . . . He loves helping me with it , and I love him helping with my hair , which is about an inch past my butt .