PDA

View Full Version : iii+s, what's the next comfortable bun?

darklyndsea
September 12th, 2013, 02:40 PM
For the longest time (BSLish to hip-ish), the only bun my hair was long enough to manage at all was the cinnabun. My hair's finally gotten long enough that I think I should probably be able to manage to do at least one other type of bun without pulling it too tight, but none of the ones I've tried have both stayed up and been comfortable. Sticks are not comfortable, except once in a blue moon when I get really lucky (and I have issues driving with them in). I can only get a Ficcare cinnabun to stay up with two Ficcares. Are there some sort of tricks I'm missing? I think I've tried every bun that seems popular around here, but they just don't seem to work for me.

I know a lot of people section their buns to make them work, but I'm too lazy to undo my sleep braid in the morning.

meteor
September 12th, 2013, 03:01 PM
Have you tried a braided bun? I think it helps to use a French braid as the base, because the braid "organizes" your thickness before you put it all up.

darklyndsea
September 12th, 2013, 03:07 PM
Have you tried a braided bun? I think it helps to use a French braid as the base, because the braid "organizes" your thickness before you put it all up.

I usually do a braided cinnabun because I'm too lazy to take out my sleep braid. My hair hates french and dutch braids with a passion, though, so I only ever do any hairstyle involving them when I feel like putting a lot of effort into my hair.

Vanilla
September 12th, 2013, 03:13 PM
I'm a thick ii, and I love the nautilus bun. You might have enough length for it.

jrmviola
September 12th, 2013, 03:14 PM
https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/546965_10100100063259931_2113365662_n.jpg

I use a hair toy that looks like this, it is lazyness personified. The number on the back is:PCTZA 2004/000068... If you look it up on the internet it will pull up a website where you can buy it, I got mine at a craftshow and i have worn it since 2006 or so until now almost every day. I dont know a formal name for it though.

meteor
September 12th, 2013, 03:16 PM
Yep, I also dislike doing French/Dutch braids, because I find them too difficult (my hair tangles while I do them). I may be bored with this style, but I find that braided buns create the sturdiest buns. I do think that sectioning hair (e.g. into smaller accent braids) before putting it all together helps too, but, you are right, it takes longer.
I still can't make lazy wrap buns or anything like that - for iii+ thickness, we need WAY more length to get them sturdy and secure.

You can also try chinese buns (because you split the ponytail into sections), rosebuns or tucked braid (the Masara - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ND5dJXnBs2k).

lapushka
September 12th, 2013, 04:44 PM
I have this bun "issue" as well. I've worn my hair in a peacock twist ever since it was about APL. I'm waist now (was an inch from TBL before) and the twist is actually doubly folded but it holds well. You basically just have to put a big claw clip over it or a Ficcare or Flexi8.

jeanniet
September 12th, 2013, 05:18 PM
I wore pencil buns from about BSL to past hip. Fast, easy, and comfortable.

Magalo
September 12th, 2013, 08:15 PM
Try the disc bun!! Basically it's a double lazy wrap. Since you split the hair in two it's very do-able for thick hair.

dwell_in_safety
September 12th, 2013, 09:18 PM
Try the disc bun!! Basically it's a double lazy wrap. Since you split the hair in two it's very do-able for thick hair.

This was my suggestion. I wore one today and it was the most comfortable bun I've ever worn. 0_0

BlazingHeart
September 12th, 2013, 09:30 PM
Pencil bun or nautilus would be my suggestions. Those are the only ones I can get even semi-reliable beyond the cinnabun right now because of thickness.

LornaDoone
September 12th, 2013, 09:33 PM
I second the nautilus bun. That is my go to I-only-have-5-seconds-to-do-my-hair bun.