PDA

View Full Version : Hair in my local news

WaitingSoLong
September 12th, 2013, 05:35 AM
Below is a link to a local news story about a guy who was cut from his baseball team because of his long hair, and why he refuses to cut it (cultural). I don't see hair in my local news very often!

http://www.wthr.com/story/23398057/2013/09/10/marian-student-cut-from-baseball-team-over-long-hair?Clienttype=generic&mobilecgbypass (http://www.wthr.com/story/23398057/2013/09/10/marian-student-cut-from-baseball-team-over-long-hair?Clienttype=generic&mobilecgbypass)

Firefox7275
September 12th, 2013, 07:21 AM
The university seriously supported that?? The hair is neatly braided AND under his baseball cap so it's nothing do with appearance but prejudice. I would lodge a formal complaint, get politicians and charitable organisations involved. Will they next be telling natural redheads to dye their hair and naturally curlies to hit the relaxer?

WaitingSoLong
September 12th, 2013, 07:21 AM
What I don't get is how he made it so far already, just to be ousted now. Ridiculous.

embee
September 12th, 2013, 07:33 AM
Since he wears it tucked under his cap and invisible, I don't quite see how it is a problem - other than personal preference on the part of the coach/administration.

I wonder if they'd be as hard-line if he were black or Muslim. He'd then have "bigger guns" on his side.

However, private schools can enforce whatever rules they wish, and if one doesn't like them, then one can go elsewhere. Bet if he'd known about this "rule" ahead of time he'd have chosen a different school.

spidermom
September 12th, 2013, 08:02 AM
What a load of crap!

Naughtalee
September 12th, 2013, 08:18 AM
What a load of crap!

I second that!

Venefica
September 12th, 2013, 08:22 AM
That is crap, as long as the guy wear his hair neatly tied back and under his cap so it do not affect his play or get in the way then it is nothing but prejudice that guide this decision and that is quite sad to see in 2013.

woolyleprechaun
September 12th, 2013, 08:47 AM
That's just silly. I feel sorry for the lad, being victimised like that.

lapushka
September 12th, 2013, 08:49 AM
Dangerous territory. On the one hand I understand the school wanting to adhere to a certain policy. On the other I get why the guy doesn't want to cut his hair. I'd cave.

Crabbyco
September 12th, 2013, 09:05 AM
Sounds like a new coach and new policies. The female player had long hair. Many teams are required to dress up for games so when they arrive and leave the venue they are representing their school well. The public high schools in our area have the same types of policies. Although I have seen many male students with nice long hair dressed in suits or dress shirt and pants w/tie. Personally the dress code should be the same for men and women. Long neatly kept hair should be ok on men and women.

melusine963
September 12th, 2013, 10:41 AM
Before I clicked on the article I was expecting to see a huge afro, or perhaps frizzy dreadlocks. Something that looks unkempt, really. But his hair is pristine and pretty discreet. I hope the school comes to their senses.

deja
September 12th, 2013, 10:47 AM
That's terrible that he can go so far only to have it end over hair. If I were him, I would probably cut it, truthfully. I like that he stood up for himself, though!

humble_knight
September 12th, 2013, 11:03 AM
"Hair is your glory"<---------does this apply to men as well? Can any Christians clarify, please?

If family traditions really are that important, ditch the baseball. It's not like that is the only sport he can play. Why would it be any different if he were black, or Muslim? Race/religion card?

Ayjay
September 12th, 2013, 11:13 AM
Thats just crazy. I hope they back down or that he can find a more tolerant school.

On another note, he can braid so much better than I can.

leslissocool
September 12th, 2013, 11:17 AM
What a load of crap!

Yup, it is.

Leeloo
September 12th, 2013, 11:37 AM
Below is a link to a local news story about a guy who was cut from his baseball team because of his long hair, and why he refuses to cut it (cultural). I don't see hair in my local news very often!

http://www.wthr.com/story/23398057/2013/09/10/marian-student-cut-from-baseball-team-over-long-hair?Clienttype=generic&mobilecgbypass (http://www.wthr.com/story/23398057/2013/09/10/marian-student-cut-from-baseball-team-over-long-hair?Clienttype=generic&mobilecgbypass)

This should be illegal

Firefox7275
September 12th, 2013, 11:41 AM
Before I clicked on the article I was expecting to see a huge afro, or perhaps frizzy dreadlocks. Something that looks unkempt, really. But his hair is pristine and pretty discreet. I hope the school comes to their senses.

Unkempt?? Wow.

An afro is how certain hair types sprout out of the head if they are combed, locs are part of some ethnic group's culture/ heritage and often both formed and maintained!! What would you suggest someone with kinky coily hair do, relax it? I take it you missed the Tulsa story, school "came to their senses" thankfully
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/05/tiana-parker-dreads_n_3873868.html

Temme
September 12th, 2013, 01:56 PM
"Hair is your glory"<---------does this apply to men as well?

According to the Bible,
"Doth not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man have long hair, it is a shame unto him? But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her: for her hair is given her for a covering."
-1 Corinthians 11:14-15, King James Bible
I think the baseball player misinterpreted the Bible, unless he has a different interpretation besides the more commonly accepted ones. You can read 1 Corinthians 11 for yourself, almost the whole chapter is about how men and women should wear their hair.

melusine963
September 12th, 2013, 02:46 PM
Unkempt?? Wow.

An afro is how certain hair types sprout out of the head if they are combed, locs are part of some ethnic group's culture/ heritage and often both formed and maintained!! What would you suggest someone with kinky coily hair do, relax it? I take it you missed the Tulsa story, school "came to their senses" thankfully
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/05/tiana-parker-dreads_n_3873868.html

I meant 'unkempt' from the school's point of view. Obviously the new coach was concerned about the school's squeaky clean image, and I can see how someone like that would be prejudiced against hair that is out of the ordinary.

Of course I'm not saying that afros or dreadlocks are bad choices. But someone who is ignorant about anything other than caucasian hair could easily jump to the wrong conclusions. They might see an afro and think 'unkempt!', or dreadlocks and think 'dirty hippy!'. I'm very glad the school has reconsidered.

jacqueline101
September 12th, 2013, 04:44 PM
What a load of crap!
Sums it all up.

Firefox7275
September 12th, 2013, 04:57 PM
I meant 'unkempt' from the school's point of view. Obviously the new coach was concerned about the school's squeaky clean image, and I can see how someone like that would be prejudiced against hair that is out of the ordinary.

Of course I'm not saying that afros or dreadlocks are bad choices. But someone who is ignorant about anything other than caucasian hair could easily jump to the wrong conclusions. They might see an afro and think 'unkempt!', or dreadlocks and think 'dirty hippy!'. I'm very glad the school has reconsidered.

Might they?

Kaelee
September 12th, 2013, 05:35 PM
The university seriously supported that?? The hair is neatly braided AND under his baseball cap so it's nothing do with appearance but prejudice. I would lodge a formal complaint, get politicians and charitable organisations involved. Will they next be telling natural redheads to dye their hair and naturally curlies to hit the relaxer?

Agreed with this. I'm almost waiting for the day someone tells me my hennaed hair is unacceptable and I have to find some way to get it back to natural.

Can the discrimination against appearances just end already? :rant:

embee
September 12th, 2013, 05:46 PM
(snip) Why would it be any different if he were black, or Muslim? Race/religion card?

Because then it would indeed be a *bigger* race/religion card. Indians have gotten the short end of the stick for a very long time and as far as I can tell do not have the same clout or backing of powerful vocal supporters.

I hope the OP will keep us up to speed with what happens here. I'm impressed with the young man, don't know that *I* would have the guts to say "no".

WaitingSoLong
September 13th, 2013, 05:15 AM
I doubt I will hear any updates, this is probably as far as the story will go in the news.

I was a little disappointed about his misunderstood Bible reference. To me it seemed like he was trying to gain backing from Christians or something.

I am just shocked there is still this kind of discrimination going on, at least from an organization. I know people to people discrimination will likely never end :(

RavennaNight
September 13th, 2013, 07:36 AM
Wow. How incredibly sad, the school marginalized his culture for the "image they want to represent." Either protect all cultural appearance traditions or protect none. don't pick and choose. What if he was Sikh? A Muslim woman just won a lawsuit against Abercrombie for not allowing her to wear a headscarf. He has legal avenues he can take to fix this, and he should, as this is part of his culture. Can a Native American on the board chime in regarding the spiritual significance to long hair? :flower: