PDA

View Full Version : Gah. I can't find a hair routine to help me grow healthy hair. HELP

Marbid
September 11th, 2013, 10:25 PM
ah... so disappointing.

I have a washing routine of CO washing only. That has been established a long time ago.

My hair routine used to be whatever. I would leave my hair down. and the put it up without detangling it because I was too lazy (this is very recently too, like a week ago recently). but that probably damages my hair quite a bit. I'm trying to grow it out to terminal. I need a new hair routine that wont damage my hair. Normally I want to let it loose and curly. Then put it up into some twisty bun thing with a night cap to sleep. But the letting my hair down thing, it being so curly and what not, is not the best idea. I need to keep it protected and all. But dang. I just can't seem to maintain my hair in an updo. I would have to do the updo while my hair is wet. Allowing it to dry loose would equal massive curls below the canopy that would end in massive tangles. But I just can't stand having my hair wet for long periods of time. And if I put it in a down braid, the least one I can do. It would still take for ever to dry.

ah. I don't know what to do. I can't leave it down, that is tangle endlessly. I can't put it up when wet. It just won't dry (and I mean I would put up my hair at 4pm and wake up the next morning at say 11 pm and there would still be wet patches where the hair is under other hair.) I don't really want to manipulate my hair too much, switching around my braids so that other hairs can dry too. But I can't let it dry naturally. gah....

What do I do? I don't know how to develop a hair routine that would make me happy. Any one here with long curly hair.... That you just cant let loose and air dry because of the curly tangles... what do you do?

I mean, I know I should not brush it while it is wet. But it is much better than brushing dry curly hair and ending up with an afro and tons, TONS of breakage. \

I can't wait for it to be really long and the weight of my hair can straighten out these curls. I just don't know how to deal with them so that my hair is not damaged. I could just let them free, sure. But then the tangles I would have to get rid of would kill my hair.

Perhaps I just have to deal with re-braiding the braid so that hairs under hair would dry. There are a couple of hair styles/updos on youtube that straighten/waive your hair as it dries. I tried them. Yeah they work. Without heat too. It's cool. But there is a lot of brushing hair while it's wet and manipulating wet hair. I heard a lot of snaps when I did it. It works. But not really a good idea. And I used a boar bristle brush and wide tooth comb too. My hair is between fine and medium fine mind you. What wont break thick hair, will break my hair.

Ah, my current idea is to but my hair in 6 bubble braids with scrunchies..... It leaves my hair wavy, but it's heavy manipulation of my wet hair. So I am not entirely happy with it. But out of all the things I have come up with to keep my hair protected, it is ok so far.

Sigh....

Help..

Please.

Anje
September 11th, 2013, 10:48 PM
With curly hair, absolutely you can comb it wet! I'd suggest you never comb/detangle, except when your hair is soaked with conditioner. (Yeah, your hair is weaker wet, blah blah, but when you have curls, lubrication is more important.) Let it dry, wear it down when the curls are fresh and nice, then put it in updos later til you wash again. Or put it up once it's dry.

Have you looked at the Curly Girl method yet? It sounds like you have, but are questioning it. (If you haven't, go look into it!) Don't sweat it too much; some longhair advice is really directed at the straight-haired, and does not make sense for curls.

jeanniet
September 11th, 2013, 10:57 PM
You really shouldn't brush curly hair wet or dry (except maybe with a Tangle Teezer). Use a wide-toothed comb, or fingers, in the shower while your hair is soaked in conditioner. That's the only time I detangle, and it's only every 3 days or so. I agree with Anje that CG might be a good routine for you. Using even a light styler may help your curls hold together enough that you don't have a problem with tangling. When I was combing my hair dry, I had constant tangles because I kept breaking up the curl pattern. Now, even though I detangle much less often (every 3 days vs. twice a day) I have far fewer tangles. It takes me literally 30 seconds to detangle in the shower. Using leave in, if you don't already, may also help with curl condition and clumping.

furnival
September 12th, 2013, 03:43 AM
I think you may be worrying a bit too much about manipulating your hair whilst wet. I don't think putting wet hair into several bubble braids would be damaging at all. Thirding the CG method :)

Firefox7275
September 12th, 2013, 05:02 AM
Brushing curly hair is hugely damaging, period, wet or dry, boar bristle or Tangle Teezer. Curly hair is not made to be tangle free, that means all hairs lying neatly side by side and separate, in other words massive frizz. Switch over to finger detangling only, when in the shower head slathered in conditioner. Try to limit formation of tangles between showers with loose up dos, gentle hair ties and a satin pillowcase. Ignore those that do form.

There is often a trade off between healthy growth and aesthetics, few heading for terminal can wear their hair loose much of the time and most do need to invest time in hair care. Curls can be controlled with the Curly Girl method - try piles of leave in conditioner in dripping wet hair, squeeze the excess water out, do not touch until bone dry, stay as still as you can whilst it air dries (evening when relaxing, at calm office job, overnight in scrunchie pineapple above head), diffuse on tepid part way if wished, no brushing or combing between washes.

lapushka
September 12th, 2013, 07:42 AM
I would try and stick with the curly girl method, but try a diffuser to get it to dry faster (why not, it's not going to hurt).

Marbid
September 12th, 2013, 10:20 AM
ah. I think I did not explain too well for understanding.

I don't have frizy hair. My curls form cleanly. But they are very tight below the canopy (the outer layer of my hair does not curl nearly as tightly as the rest of my hair).

The problem is, I cannot let my hair dry loose. They way it curls is not straight down, they curl within curls, the tangles is inevitable if my hair dries loose because of the way they curl. I want to avoid tangles, which means stopping my curls from forming.

I have to put up my hair into some sort of constricting hair do while it is wet. before it curls. I detangle in the shower with conditioner. So that I don't pull my hair. They break easily under stress because my hair is medium fine. I also CO wash only, and used to not brush my hair and just let it dry loose without too much manipulation. Then just put it up on the top of my head for sleep. (p.s. I also sleep with a silk night cap to keep my hair from rubbing on the pillow) The curly girl way. I just can't do that anymore. I can't just bunch my hair while it is curly, and twist it on top of my head, the curls bend in awkward angles and the hair strands gets kinks. I just can't see how that is a good idea. My hair is getting long, and the curls are not getting weight down.

Also, my hair is waist length when dry and curly. It's pretty long for curly hair. I just can't get away with letting it dry loose anymore. There is no way for me to avoid the tangles. Even if I have to detangle in the shower with conditioner on, some knots, especially at the nape of my neck, just wont untangle even with conditioner. It gets that bad. I don't think I would be able to reach term if my hair keeps tangling up like this.

I have to put it up while wet. But when I do put it up when wet, It does not dry. Say I put it up in a wet braid. The hair inside the braid, will not dry, I wash my hair and put it up in a braid at 3pm one day, wake up the next day and take out the braid, there are still patches of wet hair. It's that ok? For the hair to remain wet that long?

I just don't know what to do to keep it from tangling up without letting it loose and having it dry at a normal pace. I don't want to have to re-braid my hair every hour so that I expose the rest of my hair so that it dries. I would have to brush it to re-arrange the hair each time also.

Reaching term for me at 4ft 11" would likely mean having my hair at drag length (I have a good hunch I have genes for long hair because my ma and grandma from my dads side both grew ridiculously long hair when they were young, and I timed my hair cycle as best I could by keeping track of some newly formed baby hairs back in 2009 (I bleached them blond when they just formed). They are still growing even. )

I don't think my hair will be able to last long if I keep having to deal with the tangles.

What I want to know, is if it is ok, or is there a way for it to be ok. For me to put my hair up right after shower while it is still wet. And I also know if there is a way for me to help my hair dry faster while it is wet. I don't think it is healthy for the hair to stay moist for such extended periods of time. This is why I am lost. I can't find a solution. I can't let it just be loose. What routine should I adopt after washing my hair?

Anje
September 12th, 2013, 10:53 AM
I definitely think you want it to dry, and using a blowdryer on a cool setting is definitely an option that can be damage-free. Would you consider doing that?

Another option, depending on how your hair reacts to it, is to keep combing your hair as it dries, so it dries with less curl. It'll probably frizz, but if you're going to be putting your hair up anyway, that might not be a problem.

Failing that, start looking at how the folks with 4-texture hair do things, because they often end up employing some special techniques to dry hair in a contained manner that will stretch the coils of their hair out, when they want to avoid some shrinkage or want to prevent the tangles that shrinkage causes.

ETA: Another thought... Maybe the methods from Tightly Curly would be more suited to your hair than CG?

Coolcombination
September 12th, 2013, 11:03 AM
Why don't you braid it into smaller looser braids (like 9 little braids) and run a hair dryer down each braid to dry it?

spidermom
September 12th, 2013, 11:13 AM
If you've got something to do that keeps you sitting or standing still for awhile, you could get one of those bonnet hair dryers. Use a shower comb to detangle thoroughly in the shower, then wind your hair around one hand and drop the hair into the back of the bonnet as you put it on, then sit still and let the dryer do the work. (It's not very good for watching TV, though; too loud.)

I do medical transcription (with earphones), and this is how I dry my hair in cold weather. I've also used the bonnet dryer while washing a mountain of dishes or ironing. I sometimes blow-dry my hair, but that takes an hour. I'd rather multi-task while my hair dries.

By the way, I often don't detangle my hair before I put it up for the day. It actually holds better if it's not combed smooth. I don't see how it's more damaging. In fact, I think the less I comb or brush my hair, the less damaging. I can sometimes hear snaps when I detangle.

Panth
September 12th, 2013, 12:54 PM
I'm afraid I can't help with most of your issues. I agree that you may need to find a Tightly Curly thread or forum to get good advice. Unfortunately, most of us 1s/2s just don't know what works with really curly hair. However, I do have some experience with this:

I have to put it up while wet. But when I do put it up when wet, It does not dry. Say I put it up in a wet braid. The hair inside the braid, will not dry, I wash my hair and put it up in a braid at 3pm one day, wake up the next day and take out the braid, there are still patches of wet hair. It's that ok? For the hair to remain wet that long?

Personally, this happens to me, even as a 1b/F/ii. If I towel-dry my hair for 5-10 mins, detangle with a wide-toothed comb and plait, then leave it overnight (maybe 9-10 hours?) it will still be wet on the inner folds of the plait. Sometimes I leave it in longer and it is still wet. I've never had any problems with this whatsoever. If anything, it makes it softer and nicer (lots of people like damp bunning for this reason).

The typical (non-LHC) criticism of having hair wet for a long time is that it will grow mold. But seriously? I don't know of anyone who has had that problem. Also, that problem won't happen if it is constantly wet from regular washes - you'll be washing away any mould spores away faster than they would grow.

Having constantly wet hair is obviously not a barrier (or, at least not always a barrier) to super-long hair. CinammonHair (http://www.beyondclassiclength.com/) does daily CO washes, damp buns daily and has knee-length hair.

Firefox7275
September 12th, 2013, 01:55 PM
ah. I think I did not explain too well for understanding.

I don't have frizy hair. My curls form cleanly. But they are very tight below the canopy (the outer layer of my hair does not curl nearly as tightly as the rest of my hair).

The problem is, I cannot let my hair dry loose. They way it curls is not straight down, they curl within curls, the tangles is inevitable if my hair dries loose because of the way they curl. I want to avoid tangles, which means stopping my curls from forming.

I have to put up my hair into some sort of constricting hair do while it is wet. before it curls. I detangle in the shower with conditioner. So that I don't pull my hair. They break easily under stress because my hair is medium fine. I also CO wash only, and used to not brush my hair and just let it dry loose without too much manipulation. Then just put it up on the top of my head for sleep. (p.s. I also sleep with a silk night cap to keep my hair from rubbing on the pillow) The curly girl way. I just can't do that anymore. I can't just bunch my hair while it is curly, and twist it on top of my head, the curls bend in awkward angles and the hair strands gets kinks. I just can't see how that is a good idea. My hair is getting long, and the curls are not getting weight down.

Also, my hair is waist length when dry and curly. It's pretty long for curly hair. I just can't get away with letting it dry loose anymore. There is no way for me to avoid the tangles. Even if I have to detangle in the shower with conditioner on, some knots, especially at the nape of my neck, just wont untangle even with conditioner. It gets that bad. I don't think I would be able to reach term if my hair keeps tangling up like this.

I just don't know what to do to keep it from tangling up without letting it loose and having it dry at a normal pace. I don't want to have to re-braid my hair every hour so that I expose the rest of my hair so that it dries. I would have to brush it to re-arrange the hair each time also.

Reaching term for me at 4ft 11" would likely mean having my hair at drag length (I have a good hunch I have genes for long hair because my ma and grandma from my dads side both grew ridiculously long hair when they were young, and I timed my hair cycle as best I could by keeping track of some newly formed baby hairs back in 2009 (I bleached them blond when they just formed). They are still growing even. )

I don't think my hair will be able to last long if I keep having to deal with the tangles.

What I want to know, is if it is ok, or is there a way for it to be ok. For me to put my hair up right after shower while it is still wet. And I also know if there is a way for me to help my hair dry faster while it is wet. I don't think it is healthy for the hair to stay moist for such extended periods of time. This is why I am lost. I can't find a solution. I can't let it just be loose. What routine should I adopt after washing my hair?

I understood: you are referring to tangling due to shrinkage, but I still hold there are variations within the Curly Girl method to address this, Tightly Curly method absolutely is another option. There are many curlies in the 3s and 4s using these methods on the Naturallycurly, CurlyNikki and Longhaircare forums and on YouTube: both methods would have you using way more leave in conditioner than you appear to be using in your avatar, pretty as your hair looks. That helps weigh the hair down, gives slip, holds clumps together so individual hair don't escape and tangle. I've never seen a full on curly attempt to keep their hair tangle free between washes, and all the long hairs and ultra long hairs spend a LOT of time detangling in the shower, it is the nature of the beast.

Leaving your hair wet for hours on end keeps it in the weakened state with structural bonds broken and cuticle swollen - ultimately this is damaging to skin, hair (hygral fatigue) and nails.
http://www.thenaturalhavenbloom.com/2012/10/do-you-need-to-deep-condition-your-hair.html
http://www.thenaturalhavenbloom.com/2013/08/could-air-drying-actually-damage-your.html

lapushka
September 12th, 2013, 02:35 PM

If it's soaking wet, or very damp and you put it in a braid, it's not gonna dry properly. You have to wait at least a few hours until your hair is slightly damp. Then it might work. Also, try and use a microfiber (turbie) towel, if you're not using that already to get most of the wetness out and leave it on at least 15 minutes.

Untangling once in the shower with conditioner in it is *enough*. If it curls up after that, it's basically fine! That's what your hair does. It doesn't mean it's "tangled" again! It's just your natural curl pattern that you have to accept.

jeanniet
September 12th, 2013, 02:41 PM
Brushing curly hair is hugely damaging, period, wet or dry, boar bristle or Tangle Teezer. Curly hair is not made to be tangle free, that means all hairs lying neatly side by side and separate, in other words massive frizz. Switch over to finger detangling only, when in the shower head slathered in conditioner. Try to limit formation of tangles between showers with loose up dos, gentle hair ties and a satin pillowcase. Ignore those that do form.

There is often a trade off between healthy growth and aesthetics, few heading for terminal can wear their hair loose much of the time and most do need to invest time in hair care. Curls can be controlled with the Curly Girl method - try piles of leave in conditioner in dripping wet hair, squeeze the excess water out, do not touch until bone dry, stay as still as you can whilst it air dries (evening when relaxing, at calm office job, overnight in scrunchie pineapple above head), diffuse on tepid part way if wished, no brushing or combing between washes.

Brushing wet with either a Tangle Teezer or Denman is no more damaging than using a comb. Both methods are common with more tightly curled hair (Tightly Curly method). You have to have a lot of conditioner in to do it, though.

Firefox7275
September 12th, 2013, 02:59 PM
Brushing wet with either a Tangle Teezer or Denman is no more damaging than using a comb. Both methods are common with more tightly curled hair (Tightly Curly method). You have to have a lot of conditioner in to do it, though.

Actually I suggested finger detangling, I didn't mention the Denman nor a comb.
http://journal.scconline.org//pdf/cc2006/cc057n03/p00233-p00243.pdf
http://journal.scconline.org//pdf/cc2006/cc057n03/p00245-p00257.pdf
http://journal.scconline.org//pdf/cc2007/cc058n04/p00477-p00484.pdf
http://journal.scconline.org//pdf/cc2007/cc058n06/p00629-p00636.pdf
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=679723

meteor
September 12th, 2013, 03:09 PM
I hope I'm not hijacking the thread, but is it really safe not to detangle every serious knot/tangle you see, regardless of your hair type? I tried leaving some tangles untouched and I thought they only got worse. :(

Leeloo
September 12th, 2013, 03:10 PM
I was thinking you should look up the Curly Girl method (unless you tried it already).

Marbid
September 12th, 2013, 03:17 PM
hmmmmm...

I read a comment about putting my hair in small braids and then trying to dry them with the blow dryer on cold. Going to go try that out. Will report how it came out.

Also, I have not read tightly curly. Going to go do that too.

Also, having constantly wet hair, ummm... I am very unsure of that. I have been brain washed the thought that always wet hair will smell like an over used towel.. They get this really metalici smell from the deposits of water. Well, it's what I have heard anyhow. But I do not want to have moist hair so much, I am very uncertain about it. Non the less, I will go ask cinammon....

Also, I have always had a tough time accepting the nature of my hair. It's such hard work. But I guess it is right that avoiding the tangles completely is next to impossible. Especially in the direction I am heading to. I will achieve terminal length, regardless of the hard work. But it seems I am not entirely aware of what I am in for.

Thank you very much. You have given me ideas on how to proceed. Now I am going to go research some more on how to deal with this. And find out the truth behind this wet hair contradiction. :)
.................................................. .................................................. ......................

So... I read tightly curly (buying the book) she has just become my new role model.

According to what I read, I don't need to put my hair up other than for sleep. And I can put it in a braid for sleep without having to brush it, just as the curls are. And It is not damaging. It will tangle. "That is the nature of the beast" but not in the sense of knot. Just curls within curls. They will let loose with the CO only washing and the insanely heavy conditioning suggested.

It said never to brush curls dry. Never ever.

Also suggested to do "doodles" to define the curls and help keep them separated. Pretty much, is curl is like a single strand of hair and to be treated as an individual. Not as a lot of hairs. Each curl is to be brushed independently and styled independently. A curl will not tangle within itself. cool.

If I can do this, and separate the curls, maybe I can keep my hair from tangling. Or having to put it up while wet. Maybe I can keep it healthy and grow it out long. But it looks like my hair will be worn down most of the time. Lets see how that goes. I will post pictures.

Marbid
September 12th, 2013, 04:02 PM
I hope I'm not hijacking the thread, but is it really safe not to detangle every serious knot/tangle you see, regardless of your hair type? I tried leaving some tangles untouched and I thought they only got worse. :(

Detangle the hair. Just do it with a lot of conditioner (it makes it slippery, even with wavy/straight hair) If you can brush your hair dry, then detangle from bottom to top.
I Would not leave any tangles on my hair. And it's curly. This problem is the center point of this thread. If you can detangle your hair without problems, by all means, do so.

Firefox7275
September 12th, 2013, 04:17 PM

What do you mean by serious? Best thing to do is find ways to avoid or limit tangling in the first place, as long hairs and curly girls do alike - protective styles, satin pillowcases, no loose hair in windy weather, and so on.

In my head there is a difference between the sort of tangle that stays the same or only slowly worsens and the sort of serious knot that is about to turn into dreadlock that would have to be cut out. You may know yourself being a weak wavy, you can detangle our hair and it will seem tangled again shortly afterwards - properly curly hair or fine wavy hair or longer hair is arguably higher risk. All brushing and combing is damaging, some tools mess with the electrical charge on hair too which can worsen the chances of tangling.

If hair is 'glued' in clumps with conditioner and/ or styler it can't easily be brushed or combed through so might seem tangled to straighties but hairs are facing roughly in the same direction, those separate with patience when we shower. Some wavies and curlies run their wash schedule according to the 'dirtiness' of their hair but others do it according to their detangling needs. Some do minimal dry finger detangling to get hair into an up do say, so might take that opportunity to break up a 'high risk' knot.

meteor
September 12th, 2013, 04:27 PM
Thanks so much, Marbid and Firefox! :) I get it now. :blossom:

Great points about trying to keep hair strands within the curl alone and letting them clump together while gently detangling.

lapushka
September 12th, 2013, 04:34 PM
Tightly curly has a website as well, FYI:
http://www.tightlycurly.com

Marbid
September 12th, 2013, 06:20 PM
Just read it. It's on the update. I shall post pictures once my hair dries.

This is my hair from the canopy. It is not too bad, it waves quite a bit and curls madly at the tips. I suspect it is because it is exposed to the elements more.
https://scontent-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/p200x200/1238779_596136733776579_602752838_n.jpg

This is what is beneath the thin layer of the canopy.
https://scontent-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/p200x200/998099_596136740443245_1693082236_n.jpg

I tried the tightly curly method. I can't run my fingers thru my hair. But that is to be expected. I will try to get used to wearing my hair down to minimize manipulation. At least untill it is long enough to pull down these curls into waves. But for now, I guess this is all I can do. I will put it into a braid for sleep, curl and all, without detangling. Brushing this hair is hairicide. But I can brush it like the website says. Which is to dampen the hair and the conditioner on it will become slippery, if needed add some more conditioner to help you brush it. Just never brush hair when dry.

Kimberly
September 13th, 2013, 02:39 AM
Marbid, my hair isn't as curly as yours, but I get what you mean. My hair is curly and fine, and it curls around itself and tangles, and if I don't detangle frequently it forms knots that cannot be undone. If I only detangled in the shower I'd have to wash my hair every day, and even then I'd sometimes have to cut out snarls. This isn't just a curly texture to learn to live with -- big clumpy knots that look like giant spiders and which cannot be untangled regardless of how much time, tools, or conditioner you put in are not what anyone grows out their hair to have or learn to love.

I recommend cocoanut oil, and lots of it. Start with a nice heavy oiling before a wash and see if that helps. If that doesn't do enough, try putting a tiny bit in your hair after you wash it. It can make your hair tangle less, and easier to detangle. A little more can weigh it down some and take out some curl, if that is a goal.

You may find your hair dries faster with a shampoo bar and vinegar rinse instead of shampoo and conditioner. Conditioner sure makes my hair dry slower. Of course, using CV bars isn't part of the CG plan. I tried CG and didn't like it, and find my hair likes a lot of things that are supposed to be terrible for curlies -- my hair is definitely pretty weird. Everyone's is different, even within a general hair type.

Your hair is pretty, btw. :-)

Marbid
September 13th, 2013, 12:10 PM
Thank you Kimberly for saying my hair is pretty. I think I have the hang of managing it for now. I'm using the tightly curly method of styling the curls independently with tons of conditioner to try and keep them from mixing and tangling up. I managed to wake up today and brush my hair damp without any tangles. It takes a bit of time to style the curls independently, curl by curl, instead of just finger brushing all of my hair. But when they dry, the dry separately. Which helps with the tangles immensely. I f I can maintain this routine, I might be able to deal with my hair much easily. So far it is working well.

Just CO washing by the way. I don't use shampoo. My hair does not like oils. They separate my curls and it makes even smaller curls. Oil, unlike conditioner, does not clump. If my hair is held with just oils, my curls separate and become a million super curly tiny thin curls. which is a million times harder to manage than less and fatter curls.

Kimberly
September 13th, 2013, 03:54 PM
It is so interesting what different needs everyone's hair can have. When I do CO I look like an otter that just came out of an oil slick, yet actual oil works great for me. I'm glad Tightly Curly is working for you, Marbid!

Kimberly
September 13th, 2013, 04:00 PM
Firefox, thank you for all of the interesting links.

jeanniet
September 13th, 2013, 06:19 PM
Actually I suggested finger detangling, I didn't mention the Denman nor a comb.
http://journal.scconline.org//pdf/cc2006/cc057n03/p00233-p00243.pdf
http://journal.scconline.org//pdf/cc2006/cc057n03/p00245-p00257.pdf
http://journal.scconline.org//pdf/cc2007/cc058n04/p00477-p00484.pdf
http://journal.scconline.org//pdf/cc2007/cc058n06/p00629-p00636.pdf
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=679723

My experience is that finger detangling, while I do it from time to time, is a less effective and more damaging detangling method than combing--and brushing doesn't appear to be any more damaging (to my hair) than combing, although it takes longer. It may be my individual hair, but in general people need to use whatever method is most effective for them.

Marbid
September 18th, 2013, 07:59 PM
For all of those who cared and advised me on what to do to manage my hair now that it is getting longer. Here is my update! I changed my routine again.

I think I finally found a way to put up my hair that I am happy with. I washed my hair today. Then I separated it into 4 sections, braided 3 sections wet. Blow dried the loose section with cold air. It made my hair ultra fuffy. It was a cloud. I brushed this dry section and braided it. Then moved next to the next wet braid, unbraided it, blow dried it, braided it. Repeat 2 more times. I managed to blow dry my hair, and control the fuffy ness and the tangles. Now I just unbraid all my hair, and put it up into some fancy braided bun. After a night I might get braid waves. Or fuffy braid waves. I'm guessing fuffy braid waves. But I put up my hair dry, without tangles, without brushing out the curls and ripping it. I can brush fuffy hair, Just not brush curls into fuffy hair.

So I have the option of letting it air dry and wearing it loose. After which I cannot comb the curls. They will just remain until I wash my hair the next day most likely.
And I can also blow dry it on cold and sectioned to manage the foof. Then I can put my hair up, untangled and not wet. My hair will mostly likely be up for at least 3 days, I don't want to wash it and blow dry it every day. But I am happy. I think I am satisfied now. I get both the loose hair, and the protective styling. Cool. Yup. I think I can keep this up for years to come as my hair gets much longer.