PDA

View Full Version : Lil over 2 months, took advice from LHC *pics*

Sinthia
September 11th, 2013, 07:30 PM
I have always had issues with my hair. Mostly for my LOVE for chemical dyes, hairsprays, teasing etc etc. All the bad stuff!!

I wrote a post a little over 2 months ago asking for help, and the advice I received was so wonderful, and I am so thankful for it! Thank you.

Since posted, I have layed off of the box dye, no longer use hairspray, no longer tease my hair, and no longer use sulfate shampoo. I also no longer flat iron or curl my hair.

Instead I use a demi dye from sallys (wella) on my roots, and use veggie dyes for the length. I conditioner wash, and use a sulfate free shampoo every once in a while. I sometimes use a light cone conditioner as well. I will use a clarifying shampoo maybe once a month.

I do the SMT about twice a week, and use coconut oil on my entire head about twice a week as well. I also use black castor oil, and a blend of essential oils as a scalp massage every once in a while. I also use a silk pillowcase now, and wear my hair up when I go out. I cut off the ends also.

These were photos posted roughly two months ago.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y252/morbidgrotesque/hair_zpsae313410.jpg (http://s7.photobucket.com/user/morbidgrotesque/media/hair_zpsae313410.jpg.html)
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y252/morbidgrotesque/aug32013_zps1cc53031.jpg (http://s7.photobucket.com/user/morbidgrotesque/media/aug32013_zps1cc53031.jpg.html)

And these were taken tonight

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y252/morbidgrotesque/91213two_zpsc097c61f.jpg (http://s7.photobucket.com/user/morbidgrotesque/media/91213two_zpsc097c61f.jpg.html)
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y252/morbidgrotesque/91213_zps08ad83d3.jpg (http://s7.photobucket.com/user/morbidgrotesque/media/91213_zps08ad83d3.jpg.html)
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y252/morbidgrotesque/91213three_zpsf432f3d3.jpg (http://s7.photobucket.com/user/morbidgrotesque/media/91213three_zpsf432f3d3.jpg.html)

What do you think? Please be honest. I feel like there is definitely much improvement, and I am hopefully that I can grow my hair out longer now. I am thinking about adding in a protein treatment, what do you think? My hair still feels dry, but WAY less dry than it used to.The length in the before shots were the longest my hair ever got, and stayed at for about 2 years.

Thanks for looking!

Naughtalee
September 11th, 2013, 07:44 PM
Congrats! I see an improvement! Your hair looks shiny and less pouffy. I would defiantly recommend a protein treatment (personal experience). There are a couple of threads here with reviews. Aphogee 2 step seems to get good reviews, it does contain cones though. Its great to see such a change in just two months, gives me hope that I will notice a difference in my hair, I just started the CGM.

longNred
September 11th, 2013, 07:46 PM
I think you're going to see that thickness travel down in no time, it's looking great!

teddygirl
September 11th, 2013, 07:46 PM
the ends look great, and in only two months! Great progress!

WilfredAllen
September 11th, 2013, 07:49 PM
Wow! Your hair is lovely in the new pics - such an improvement!

Here is a topic on protein:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=55829

Sinthia
September 11th, 2013, 07:49 PM
Thanks so much! I am really hoping things only get better!! What is the CGM? And can you purchase aphogee two step anywhere, or does it have to be at a place like sallys?

Naughtalee
September 11th, 2013, 08:02 PM
I bought my Aphogee 2 step on amazon. Honestly 90% of my hair "stuff" comes from there, can't beat free 2 day shipping! CGM- Curly Girl Method, I just clarified my hair and bought Trader Joe's conditioner as a staple. No sulfates, no cones, and no stiff brushes. I've been stalking this board for two years soaking up everything I can about hair! First thing that really stood out was permanent dye and flatironing/curling is a SIN, lol. Just stopping these two things seems like half the work, so it should be easy street from now on. :o

Quixii
September 11th, 2013, 08:42 PM
There's definitely a visible improvement! It looks like it would feel better now. :)

velorutionista
September 11th, 2013, 10:03 PM
I think there's a noticeable improvement for sure!

velorutionista
September 11th, 2013, 10:09 PM
I think there's a noticeable improvement for sure!

Anje
September 11th, 2013, 10:34 PM
Definitely looks better. I can still see past damage (only trims will fix that, but if it's not getting worse, there's no rush), but your hair is starting to look downright silky now.

Oh, and I agree, protein will likely do you good, given your past routine. Just be sparing with it (too much makes hair feel nasty!) and immediately follow protein treatments with a good moisture treatment like an SMT.

PraiseCheeses
September 11th, 2013, 11:19 PM
It is much improved - good work! You've done a wonderful job with damage control and rehabilitation. :) I bet your ponytail circumference is going to increase dramatically with your new routine!

Not to be all hairtype-nazi, but are you sure you're a 1A? I'm pretty sure I see some wave in there, and if you felt like you had to flatiron, well.... Have you done a real hairtyping yet? It could give you some valuable insight on how to best treat your hair. :flower: I look forward to more updates from your hair-story!

spidermom
September 12th, 2013, 08:16 AM
Very nice, definite improvement. You aren't 1a though; there's wave. I'd say 1c if not 2a.

Warda
September 12th, 2013, 08:36 AM
Wow, GREAT progress specially for two months, congratulations!! :)

earthybee
September 12th, 2013, 08:44 AM
That's a big improvement! It has to feel much better.

lapushka
September 12th, 2013, 08:47 AM
That's amazing improvement in just 2 months' time! I say keep it up! :D

Crabbyco
September 12th, 2013, 09:33 AM
Looks good! You may be surprised as your undamaged hair gets longer what texture you have. Many of us wavys thought we had straight hair when we were combing straight when wet and using sulfate shampoo.

deja
September 12th, 2013, 09:52 AM
Wow, the ends look beautiful! I love it :)

Sinthia
September 12th, 2013, 10:23 AM
Thanks so much for the replies! My hair is damaged all the way up I think, but it seems to be getting a lil more manageable. I am also seeing a lot of tiny hairs around the top, that I am not sure is breakage or new growth. I am hoping new growth lol.

Could someone please point me in the direction of proper hair typing? I put that in when I first came here and cant seem to find the instruction page. Thanks!

Naughtalee
September 12th, 2013, 10:31 AM
Thanks so much for the replies! My hair is damaged all the way up I think, but it seems to be getting a lil more manageable. I am also seeing a lot of tiny hairs around the top, that I am not sure is breakage or new growth. I am hoping new growth lol.

Could someone please point me in the direction of proper hair typing? I put that in when I first came here and cant seem to find the instruction page. Thanks!

I second this! Is there a LHC PRO we can send our pictures to who can tell us what types we are?

Sinthia
September 12th, 2013, 11:36 AM
Also, could someone recommend a less intense protein conditioner or treatment than aphogee 2 step? I am scared to try the aphogee, I read a lot of bad reviews, and do not want my hair to get any worse.

Sinthia
September 12th, 2013, 12:41 PM
I got a sample pack of the two step will let Ya know how it goes

Naughtalee
September 12th, 2013, 03:54 PM
Also, could someone recommend a less intense protein conditioner or treatment than aphogee 2 step? I am scared to try the aphogee, I read a lot of bad reviews, and do not want my hair to get any worse.

Maybe you could water it down so the protein isn't as concentrated. Good luck and don't forget the deep conditioner treatment after.

Leeloo
September 12th, 2013, 04:17 PM
Your hair looks so much more shiny and healthier! Just so pretty. Have you considered herbal rinses? Catnip rinses suppose to be very good for preventing taper and split ends and some use it instead of conditioner. There is a wonderful thread here about catnip rinses, but here is the summary so you don’t have to look through it: 1 level tea spoon of pet store bought catnip to 250-300 ml of boiling water, cover, leave till cool, tap condensation back into container, strain (can keep in refrigerator for up to 10 days), pour over freshly washed with shampoo only hair, leave on for an hour under a shower cap, rinse and optional use conditioner.

jacqueline101
September 12th, 2013, 04:37 PM
Looks great it's improved a lot.

prettyinpink
September 12th, 2013, 04:53 PM
Congratulations! It looks much thicker! Keep us updated =D

Anje
September 12th, 2013, 04:54 PM
I've actually heard decent things about diluting about a Tablespoon of low-sodium soy sauce in about a cup of water and pouring it over freshly shampooed hair. Let it sit for a while, rinse it out, and condition. It's definitely an easy one to try, though probably a lot less intense.

sarahthegemini
September 12th, 2013, 05:13 PM
I can absolutely see an improvement! :)

sarahthegemini
September 12th, 2013, 05:14 PM

Could you dilute it with a protein free conditioner? I've never tried doing that (hopefully someone else will chime in!) but I'd have thought that'd lower the intensity.

RavennaNight
September 12th, 2013, 05:19 PM
Definitely noticeable shine and improvement :flower:

Sinthia
September 12th, 2013, 05:41 PM
Ohhh yah now that you mention it, I have been doing catnip rinses about twice a week as well :)

AmyBeth
September 12th, 2013, 05:46 PM
Honestly, my first thought was "Wow!" It is amazing what true hair care, as opposed to hair processing, can do. And in only 2 months!

Sharysa
September 12th, 2013, 06:55 PM
Definite improvements. Your hair's so shiny now!

Squiggy
September 12th, 2013, 07:58 PM
Definitely better! It looks so much shinier, smoother, and less frizzy. Keep up the good work!

PraiseCheeses
September 12th, 2013, 08:33 PM
Honestly, my first thought was "Wow!" It is amazing what true hair care, as opposed to hair processing, can do. And in only 2 months!

Bolding mine - I really like the way you express that!

As far as protein treatments go, Joico K-Pak Reconstructor is something that I've heard good things about 'round the boards. It works more like a deep conditioner or mask - leave on for 5-15 minutes and rinse out. Aphogee is fabulous when done correctly, but that depends on letting it dry completely until it's hard without disturbing your hair, which without special salon equipment takes hours upon hours.

PraiseCheeses
September 12th, 2013, 08:33 PM
Oops, double post. Sorry.

Crabbyco
September 13th, 2013, 08:10 AM
This is the gelatin protein treatment that I use.

1 pouch plain gelatin dissolved 1/4 cup boiling water. Let cool enough to touch and add 1 teaspoon ACV. Apply to hair and cover for 5minutes to 2 hours depending on how strong of a treatment you want. I also like to add honey and conditioner for moisture.

Start with a short treatment and see how your hair likes it. For a quick protein boost I will apply this is the shower and let sit while I do my shower stuff. For a stronger treatment use 2 pouches of gelatin and leave on for 2 hours.

koko
September 13th, 2013, 08:21 AM
Nice work! It is so shiny now ! :)

Tattersail
September 13th, 2013, 08:58 AM
I think your hair looks in much better condition, congrats!
But, and this is just my opinion, I think you should cut off about the last 10cm/3inches, because:
- it would give you a much more even, thick hemline
- those last couple of inches look very straggly (no offense) and no amount of pampering in going to fix that, they'll just keep getting worse
- their 'thin-ness' is in contrast to the rest of your hair, making them look even thinner
Here's a thread where someone cut off 5 inches and it looks so much better, and you can hardly tell she's lost any length; its just an all-round improvement http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=115273
I hope you don't mind me being blunt about my opinion, but you asked for honesty, so there you go :thumbsup:

Sinthia
September 13th, 2013, 01:14 PM
I dont mind at all! I cut off a bit of the ends before I took those photos, and I am going to have my hair stylist cut off a lil more eventually, I dont want to press my luck with a good trim twice lol! I do agree that they are scraggly!

Tattersail
September 13th, 2013, 08:30 PM
lol, i know exactly what you mean. i'm currently trying to grow out to my natural colour and the last time i went to a haidresser i was praying he knew what he was doing. i was very clear with him as to how much i allowed him to take off and what i wanted the end result to be. i was very lucky and he did a great job :) my hair always feels in much better condition after a small trim by a professional, they just take off the bad ends and leave the better hair on your head :cool:

Sinthia
October 3rd, 2013, 03:44 AM
I have a question. Can I slowly cut off the ends? Maybe an inch or two trim every few months? I really hate the thought of going in and getting a 3-4 inch chop at once :(. If I don't do it all at once will my ends just get worse and the length thickness won't grow down? Thanks.!

CurlMonster
October 3rd, 2013, 03:59 AM
I have a question. Can I slowly cut off the ends? Maybe an inch or two trim every few months? I really hate the thought of going in and getting a 3-4 inch chop at once :(. If I don't do it all at once will my ends just get worse and the length thickness won't grow down? Thanks.!

I think smaller trims are definitely the way to go! Micro-trimming is very promoted on this forum. :) The thickness will still travel down if you're trimming a little at a time!

Deloria87
October 3rd, 2013, 04:16 AM
Bolding mine - I really like the way you express that!

As far as protein treatments go, Joico K-Pak Reconstructor is something that I've heard good things about 'round the boards. It works more like a deep conditioner or mask - leave on for 5-15 minutes and rinse out. Aphogee is fabulous when done correctly, but that depends on letting it dry completely until it's hard without disturbing your hair, which without special salon equipment takes hours upon hours.

I use joico's k pak reconstructor once a week, clarify shampoo my hair, soak in k pak for an hour under cling film and a beanie hat to keep warm, rinse, then leave in their intense hydrator for another hour (again under cling film and a beanie hat, rinse and air dry; since doing this my hair feels the thickest it's ever been especially considering I had quite a bit of bleach damage a month ago. I'm growing out the cut due to the bleach damage as well but if you're looking for a protein treatment I 100% recommend joico - smells delicious too!!

Federica
October 3rd, 2013, 05:03 AM
Sinthia it seems you're doing a really good job! Your hair appears really much more healthy and shining, and in only two months!
I think that small trims are the way to go, it will take longer to see your ends thick, but you won't lose the lenght (which can be upsetting) and see the thickness travel down to your ends in no time.
You can ask someone you trust in to cut it for you, or use the Feye's method for self trimming: http://feyeselftrim.livejournal.com/
I also recommand you to use a pure boar bristle brush: it's much more delicate on your hair and scalp and reduces A LOT fizzyness and mechanical damage.
If you're still looking for the typing thread, here's the link: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=115859
And wear it up! It will be much helpful to preserve your already stressed ends :)

Happy growing!

Glass Spires
October 3rd, 2013, 09:26 AM
It looks great! Congratulations. :)

Sinthia
October 3rd, 2013, 12:39 PM
Thanks so much!! I am SO happy that it will be alright to just do small trims :) Federika, thank you for the links!!

cathair
October 3rd, 2013, 05:54 PM
Was gonna post you the same link as Federica :) If it's not annoyingly tangly, don't chop it is my motto, but I don't like blunt ends. Looking loads better than your first picture for sure, keep up the good work :) Is that your natural colour?

heidi w.
October 3rd, 2013, 06:08 PM
Oil your hair length from the earlobes on down, not the scalp hair. Use expeller pressed coconut oil which doesn't smell like coconut.
Works wonderfully to get hair length to be the same wetness factor as scalp hair which is helped by sebum.
heidi w.

Sinthia
October 3rd, 2013, 07:08 PM
Cathair- Oh how I wish!!!!!! My natural color is light blonde.

Heidi w. - Thanks for the tip! Is that for before washing, or to leave in?

mysecretnights
October 4th, 2013, 05:39 AM
wow, looks lovely. especially the ends. they are much fuller, and shiny and full of life. well done

Alexblue
October 5th, 2013, 12:40 AM
Your improvement is fab after two months. My hair was very similar to your a couple years ago (and I did all the damaging things like harsh chemical dyes and straighteners). However, for me I didn't feel the softness return until about month 5 after going heat- and sls-free. Your hair is bouncing back fast :joy:

...my hair also prefers jojoba over other oils. I also really recommend Nightblooming's hair salve on etsy (https://www.etsy.com/shop/NightBlooming?section_id=12807124). Her products smell divine and are still my go-to product when I went to pamper my ends.

By the way, what brush do you use? If it's gentle like a wide tooth comb or BBB then the little hairs are probably new growth!

Totty
October 5th, 2013, 09:05 AM
Very big improvement. You go girl

Isilme
October 5th, 2013, 09:10 AM
You can use oil whenever you like, either as a pre-wash treatment heavy in oil (don't slip in the shower!) or a small amount when you feel the need. Just a few drops, rub between your hands and stroke on the hair. If the oil is gone before you get to your hair your hands are dry and you can use the oil as a hand moisturizer, preferable on damp hands :)
I see a huge improvement in your hair!

Soltimus
October 5th, 2013, 09:14 AM
Wow, that's quite an improvement in only two months! Your hair looks very vibrant, and also much fuller. Very, very lovely indeed!