PDA

View Full Version : Please help! I'm desperate!

danceri110
September 11th, 2013, 03:46 PM
I've returned with hair woes. This summer, in a fit of spontaneity and stupidity, I bleached the crap out of my hair. 4 times. FOUR! No wonder my hair is fried. So here's some history:
My natural color is dirty blonde, but for the past 2 years i have been dying it dark brown. I have wavy hair, and in the recent months it would be considered a solid 2c, especially underneath. It's about waist length right now.

I hate the color that my hair is, and hate the condition even more. When I first bleached it, I gave myself a self-trim of about a centimeter cause I just couldn't deal with the velco-y ends, but they have persisted. When my hair first dries out of the shower, no product just a little oil, it is VERY frizzy, but still wavy and not too puffy. But as it dries it becomes VERY tangled, and I can't run my hands through it. There's no slip to my hair anymore whatsoever. It only gets worse when I try to de-tangle, whether with a brush or a comb. I've been using SLS shampoo (bad, I know :x) and plan to start CO-ing, which I used to do a few years ago when my hair was in it's prime condition. I don't have too too many split ends, but it's very badly damaged and feels brillo-pad-esque on the ends. As for the color, it is a honey-blonde that is too close to orange for my skin tone, I was trying to get it platinum so I could be Danerys Targaryen for Halloween, but I've given up on that in hopes of salvaging my hair. Please help me! I want my soft hair back, I regret bleaching it so much. I can provide pictures if it would help, but please help me get my hair back.

samanthajenalyn
September 11th, 2013, 03:55 PM
I know that organic coconut oil helps a lot with damage.If you don't already, you could buy some at your local grocery store and start putting it on the damaged parts of your hair several times a week. The night before you wash your hair, you could put a good amount on your hair, sleep with it in a bun or braid and wash it out in the morning. It has done wonders for my heat damaged hair.

spidermom
September 11th, 2013, 04:03 PM
I agree with the coconut oil, also suggest COing. And trim-trim-trim little bits at a time until damage is gone, which will take years. Or rock a new short hair cut.

Halloween? Wigs.

goldcopperbrown
September 11th, 2013, 04:17 PM
I also suggest coconut oil (try brahmi oil) and maybe even a dusting.

As for your hair color, I had the same issue a while ago and I actually covered it up with Herbal Essences hair dye. It's technically not permanent, but my hair was so porous from bleaching that it really held onto the color.

Leeloo
September 11th, 2013, 04:19 PM
Protein treatments, coconut oil over night before wash, protective styles and no hair dyes any more. I agree with Spidermom, trim a little at a time till damage is gone.

sarahthegemini
September 11th, 2013, 04:30 PM
Omg, you bleached it 4 times?! Next time, buy a wig :p Honestly, I hate hair that is so massively damaged, I'd cut it off if it was me. If you don't want to do that, try coconut oil, lots of deep treatments (protein AND moisture) and trim the ends regularly.

rose313
September 11th, 2013, 04:31 PM
No more dye! If you must dye, use a veggie dye which does not contain peroxide or lighteners so your hair won't take more damage. I have always been a fan of Joico K-Pak and reconstructors, just don't overdo it with the protein. If you have split ends they will need to be cut off, splits can't be repaired, they will keep traveling up your hair shaft unless you trim them above the split.

Anje
September 11th, 2013, 04:44 PM
You probably are going to need regular protein and moisture treatments for quite a while, and it's going to be an interesting balancing act. When in doubt, I'd start with moisture such as an SMT, but you might as well pick up a heavy protein reconstructer conditioning treatment like the Aphogee 2-step treatment soon.

If your hair feels dry even after moisture treatments, or if it starts feeling limp, mushy, or stretchy, do a protein treatment. Afterward, your hair might feel hard, crunchy, velcro-y, or dry. that's typical, and is why the usual recommendation is to immediately follow a protein treatment with a moisture treatment. So alternate the two and go by feel.

Good luck!

Firefox7275
September 11th, 2013, 06:23 PM
I've returned with hair woes. This summer, in a fit of spontaneity and stupidity, I bleached the crap out of my hair. 4 times. FOUR! No wonder my hair is fried. So here's some history:
My natural color is dirty blonde, but for the past 2 years i have been dying it dark brown. I have wavy hair, and in the recent months it would be considered a solid 2c, especially underneath. It's about waist length right now.

I hate the color that my hair is, and hate the condition even more. When I first bleached it, I gave myself a self-trim of about a centimeter cause I just couldn't deal with the velco-y ends, but they have persisted. When my hair first dries out of the shower, no product just a little oil, it is VERY frizzy, but still wavy and not too puffy. But as it dries it becomes VERY tangled, and I can't run my hands through it. There's no slip to my hair anymore whatsoever. It only gets worse when I try to de-tangle, whether with a brush or a comb. I've been using SLS shampoo (bad, I know :x) and plan to start CO-ing, which I used to do a few years ago when my hair was in it's prime condition. I don't have too too many split ends, but it's very badly damaged and feels brillo-pad-esque on the ends. As for the color, it is a honey-blonde that is too close to orange for my skin tone, I was trying to get it platinum so I could be Danerys Targaryen for Halloween, but I've given up on that in hopes of salvaging my hair. Please help me! I want my soft hair back, I regret bleaching it so much. I can provide pictures if it would help, but please help me get my hair back.

Firstly don't try to run your hands through wavy/ curly hair, any friction is damaging and it's not straight hair - it is not 'designed' to be totally tangle free. Also try to limit detangling to when it the shower coated in a slippy conditioner and forget brushing entirely: that causes frizz as well as breakage. Consider doing a chelating wash, if that does not fix your ends bite the bullet and trim them off so they don't damage healthier hair higher up.

Proven beneficial ingredients for patch repairing and penetrating bleach damaged hair include coconut oil, hydrolysed protein, ceramides, 18-MEA and panthenol. You will probably also want some water soluble silicones and one of the behentrimoniums for slip. Use a leave in not just a wash out conditioner containing some of these. Do be aware all hair is dead so fried hair cannot every be permanently repaired, it's just patching over the cracks as you grow or cut out the damage.

goldcopperbrown
September 12th, 2013, 11:45 AM
You probably are going to need regular protein and moisture treatments for quite a while, and it's going to be an interesting balancing act. When in doubt, I'd start with moisture such as an SMT, but you might as well pick up a heavy protein reconstructer conditioning treatment like the Aphogee 2-step treatment soon.

If your hair feels dry even after moisture treatments, or if it starts feeling limp, mushy, or stretchy, do a protein treatment. Afterward, your hair might feel hard, crunchy, velcro-y, or dry. that's typical, and is why the usual recommendation is to immediately follow a protein treatment with a moisture treatment. So alternate the two and go by feel.

Good luck!

Ah, I remember Aphogee...used to use this all the time when I bleached my hair.