PDA

View Full Version : What's wrong with hairspray?

littlemonster
September 11th, 2013, 03:19 PM
I've done several searches for threads on this but I'm coming up somewhat empty. I'm changing to CO-washing but with or without that, I know hairspray is disliked. But I can't find anything explicit on what is wrong with it.

Taking my tresemme ingredients as an example:

Alcohol Denat, Butane, Isobutane, Octylacrylamide/Acrylates/Butylaminoethyl Methacrylate Copolymer, Propane, Vinyl Caprolactam/Dimethylaminoethyl Methacrylate Copolymer, Benzo-phenone-4, Aminomethyl Propanol, Aqua, Geraniol, Amyl Cinnamal, Citronellol, Butylphenyl Methypropional, Linalool, Hexyl Cinnamal, Limonene, Parfum.

Now, I know alcohols can be drying, which isn't ideal, but other than the drying aspect is there anything particularly harmful in this (or any standard) hairspray for occasional use? Does it cause some kind of damage, is it just terrible for build up?

I know this is a basic question, I just can't seem to find a straight answer :confused:

lapushka
September 11th, 2013, 03:20 PM
This is what's wrong with it (scroll on the page to the last picture):
http://www.pgbeautygroomingscience.com/hair-spray-accumulation.php

shutterpillar
September 11th, 2013, 03:28 PM
I use hair spray on occasion (a couple times a month) and have not had any problems so far. I use an alcohol free hairspray - this one (http://www.ulta.com/ulta/browse/productDetail.jsp?productId=xlsImpprod4130135). To prevent damage, I also make sure not to brush or comb my hair until the hairspray has been washed away since hairspray pretty much just glues the strands together and raking a brush through it is damaging.

I wouldn't recommend it for daily use, though.

Leeloo
September 11th, 2013, 03:29 PM
I've done several searches for threads on this but I'm coming up somewhat empty. I'm changing to CO-washing but with or without that, I know hairspray is disliked. But I can't find anything explicit on what is wrong with it.

Taking my tresemme ingredients as an example:

Alcohol Denat, Butane, Isobutane, Octylacrylamide/Acrylates/Butylaminoethyl Methacrylate Copolymer, Propane, Vinyl Caprolactam/Dimethylaminoethyl Methacrylate Copolymer, Benzo-phenone-4, Aminomethyl Propanol, Aqua, Geraniol, Amyl Cinnamal, Citronellol, Butylphenyl Methypropional, Linalool, Hexyl Cinnamal, Limonene, Parfum.

Now, I know alcohols can be drying, which isn't ideal, but other than the drying aspect is there anything particularly harmful in this (or any standard) hairspray for occasional use? Does it cause some kind of damage, is it just terrible for build up?

I know this is a basic question, I just can't seem to find a straight answer :confused:

Hair spray is damaging for hair because it binds hair and makes it easier to break it off. If you use a firm hold spray then it makes easy to snap hair off when adjusting the hairdo. Then when you take the hair style down and try to brush through “sticky” hair, you break off even more hair. So lots and lots of mechanical damage (just like back combing).

torrilin
September 11th, 2013, 03:59 PM
Depending on your goals and hair type, hairspray may be ok. Maybe you do stuff for community theatre and you use hairspray a few times a year to set your hair for performances, with no attempts at combing after and a careful washing out before you comb. That might work well for most hair types... not ideal, but there aren't a whole lot of ideal solutions. The old school 1980s ideal of lots of hairspray as part of building a towering pile of curls... much less of a good scene.

On my fine hair, hairspray doesn't actually do much of anything to hold a style in place. It doesn't really work to keep wispies down or give any particular look. Alcohol free gels like a lot of curly haired women use tend to work much better.

goldcopperbrown
September 11th, 2013, 04:18 PM
Whenever I wear it, it makes my hair really tangled the next day (provided I don't wash it out before sleeping)

Anje
September 11th, 2013, 04:57 PM
Alcohol Denat Drying, evaporates.
Butane drying, evaporates.
Isobutane drying, evaporates
Octylacrylamide/Acrylates/Butylaminoethyl Methacrylate Copolymer Basically, this is Superglue.
Propane Drying, evaporates.
Vinyl Caprolactam/Dimethylaminoethyl Methacrylate Copolymer More superglue.

The trouble with hairspray is how strongly it holds combined with the fact that lots of people think they can brush it out (breaking bits off the hair shafts) rather than heading straight for the shower and washing it out.

littlemonster
September 11th, 2013, 06:33 PM
I seeee - hmm no not for anything special, just about twice a year I want to do a hairstyle that stays in place and requires hairspray to work. My hair doesn't seem overly stuck with it in honestly, but I didn't do much with it until washing it out. I'm moving to CO washing and have some curly friendly stuffs, maybe I need to experiment with the gel spray next time I want to keep a style in place :)

Firefox7275
September 11th, 2013, 06:56 PM
Alcohol is drying at best and can actually eat through the hair if soaked. Also it 'glues' the hair together, then you have to use harsh shampoos to wash it out or rip the hairs apart when brushing.
http://www.pgbeautygroomingscience.com/hair-spray-accumulation.php

TenaciousTangle
September 11th, 2013, 08:45 PM
This is what's wrong with it (scroll on the page to the last picture):
http://www.pgbeautygroomingscience.c...cumulation.php

:shocked: Ohmygoodness. I don't use hairspray very often and it's a good thing I don't! I had no idea.

littlemonster
September 12th, 2013, 10:12 AM
Yea, those photos are scary...

But not as scary as the backcombing ones!!! http://www.pgbeautygroomingscience.com/hair-damage.php Under "Mechanical Damage".

I may still use it if I ever need to but I'll be very careful to wash it out the same night. I don't use it frequently as it is!