PDA

View Full Version : DIY hair tints

tiger_greeneyes
September 11th, 2013, 09:18 AM
I'm looking for something I can use to tint my (dyed) dark blonde hair. I'd love some natural looking pink/lightish burgundy and copper coloured highlights and I wondered if anyone has any ideas on products or diy rinses that won't fade too fast.

My hair is all one length - waist length - and I dye it to cover the grey. I'm going through a bored patch, my natural hair wasn't too far off what it is now, except more copper blonde with natural blonde highlights. I recently used a wash in wash out pink hair colour and it was fab so I wanted to do it again to last a bit longer. I added a sachet when I next dyed my hair and it didn't last long - it also wasn't a great coverage. I've been looking for a tone on tone product that I can use or tailor make to my colour wish but I can't find anything - and I'm too chicken to go for a permanent (bright) pink because I'm 46.

Maybe I could mix some henna colours or something?

Anje
September 11th, 2013, 09:59 AM
DO NOT use henna unless you want to be stuck with it. For most people, it's absolutely permanent. It also has a tendency to be quite orange for the first application on light hair.

My recommendation would be to get some dye like Manic Panic or Special Effects. (The Special Effects brand is reputed to last longer, but pinks and reds tend to stick around for a LONG time on light hair anyway.) These should be totally non-damaging, come in a range of fun colors, and should fade out on their own over the course of a few months, but they can be bleached out pretty effectively.

ETA: If you want to make it more subtle, diluting the dye in conditioner is an easy option. Streaks are also fun and less obvious.

Panth
September 11th, 2013, 11:47 AM
DO NOT use henna unless you want to be stuck with it. For most people, it's absolutely permanent. It also has a tendency to be quite orange for the first application on light hair.

My recommendation would be to get some dye like Manic Panic or Special Effects. (The Special Effects brand is reputed to last longer, but pinks and reds tend to stick around for a LONG time on light hair anyway.) These should be totally non-damaging, come in a range of fun colors, and should fade out on their own over the course of a few months, but they can be bleached out pretty effectively.

ETA: If you want to make it more subtle, diluting the dye in conditioner is an easy option. Streaks are also fun and less obvious.

This!

Also, if you do decide you like the tint from the deposit-only dye, you can then transition to a semi (NOT demi) permanent dye in a similar shade to have a more permanent result. Semi-permanent dyes, unlike demi-permanent and permanent, don't contain developer (aka bleach) so will not be as damaging.

tiger_greeneyes
September 13th, 2013, 06:59 AM
Hiya, thank you for your advice, I will steer clear of henna! I found something called Crazy Colour (in the absence of the colour I'm looking for in Manic Panic and Special Effects) and found a gorgeous subtle Aubergine shade. I shall be highlighting as soon as it arrives. It's a semi permanent dye and if it goes well, I'll invest in a few more different colours (reds and pinks) to make my hair slightly more lively. Looking forward to playing now!

Panth
September 13th, 2013, 12:41 PM
Hiya, thank you for your advice, I will steer clear of henna! I found something called Crazy Colour (in the absence of the colour I'm looking for in Manic Panic and Special Effects) and found a gorgeous subtle Aubergine shade. I shall be highlighting as soon as it arrives. It's a semi permanent dye and if it goes well, I'll invest in a few more different colours (reds and pinks) to make my hair slightly more lively. Looking forward to playing now!

I am in no way an expert, but I believe Crazy Colour is one of the cheaper varieties of deposit-only dye and generally lasts for less time.

A good place to look that has a large selection is Beeunique (http://www.beeunique.co.uk/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=132&zenid=2a21eb9aa5c94ff0d389f514fa3e2d5b).

Also, remember that deposit-only dyes are completely blendable. So, if there isn't a colour you like then you can mix colours. Also, you can reduce the colour saturation by mixing with conditioner (though, of course, if you dilute it too much and put it on non-bleached hair then the colour won't show through over your natural hair colour). You can also use conditioner-diluted dye instead of conditioner to help maintain colour.

Have a play on shed hair or on a thin streak in an inobtrusive place until you find a shade you like. (You can also test how quickly the dye fades and whether it fades to a nasty colour by doing the latter - it'll save you some money before you commit to dying your whole head with something that could end up only looking nice for one wash).

Oh! And final thing - whatever you do, remember to PATCH TEST. This is super-super important as allergies can develop to dyes at any time, even if you've already used it and been fine. Clean and dry a thin, delicate bit of skin (e.g. the inner elbow), put a small spot of dye on it and cover it with a plaster so it doesn't rub/wash off. Leave it there for 48 hours. Remove the plaster and check for any redness or swelling. (Of course, if you develop systemic effects (e.g. pain, nausea, headaches, etc.) then wash the dye off immediately and see your doctor/A&E.)

Panth
September 13th, 2013, 12:53 PM
Other things I just remembered:
1) the dye will work best if you shampoo your hair with clarifying shampoo, rinse well and then apply the dye without applying any conditioner.
2) you can leave the dye on a lot longer than the pot suggests (all day, or even over night is fine - just make sure the dye doesn't dry out, so wrap your head in clingfilm or a shower cap).
3) the dye will deposit better if you keep your head slightly warm (e.g. wrap a towel over the clingfilm/shower cap, or use a heat cap if you have one).
4) the dye will stay better if you rinse it out initially with an acidic rinse (e.g. 1-2 tablespoons vinegar to 1 glass water).
5) they dye will stay for longer if you subsequently try to wash your hair as little and possible and as gently as possible.

tiger_greeneyes
September 14th, 2013, 08:47 AM
Panth - thank you, that's great advice. I've always been a bit too shy of big colours in my hair but now I don't have to be sensible for work, I'm going to have some fun.

One question, with the patch test, would I need to do that even if the dye wasn't going anywhere near my scalp? If I was going to do a dip-dye, for instance. Thanks again!

Panth
September 14th, 2013, 09:59 AM
Panth - thank you, that's great advice. I've always been a bit too shy of big colours in my hair but now I don't have to be sensible for work, I'm going to have some fun.

One question, with the patch test, would I need to do that even if the dye wasn't going anywhere near my scalp? If I was going to do a dip-dye, for instance. Thanks again!

Personally, I would always patch test. A lot of people only do it before the first use of any product/formulation. However, as I said, allergies can develop at any time even after repeated trouble-free usage. I would still patch test with a dip-dye as a) it's better to be safe than sorry but also b) it's liable to get everywhere during applying anyway and again if it's a colour that comes off on your pillows, etc. so it's entirely possible that you'll end up with at least a little bit on your skin at some point.

I've done a narrow streak before (Direction's Apple Green) with my husband's help. I've never dyed hair before, but he has and said that doing a streak was actually more fiddly & messy than a whole head as you have to fuss to keep the dyed bit away from the rest. I'd imagine dip-dyed ends might have similar mess issues.

You can make streaks/dip-dyes, etc. easier by coating the hair you don't want to dye in conditioner. You can also cover the hairline in conditioner or vaseline to prevent too much staining. Wear gloves on your hands. Wash off drips on the floor/skin/bath/shower/etc. immediately with lots of water. Lay down newspaper on the floor if you're paranoid. Chose a towel to sacrifice and wear it around your shoulders to protect your skin/clothes.

tiger_greeneyes
September 14th, 2013, 10:13 AM
Fair enough, I will do one, even though I'm going not going to touch my scalp with it (my scalp blisters easily) but as you say, accidents happen. Dying hair is extremely messy isn't it. I have a few sacrificial towels, I dye to get rid of my greys - I'm about 60% grey now. If the worst comes to the worst I can always do my usual dark blonde colour over the colour dye. I love the Beeunique website, I adore the Cleo Rose colour by Manic Panic. I'm going to two weddings next year, I think that would look really nice in half a dozen narrow streaks on long wavy hair with the odd flower clip here and there.