PDA

View Full Version : Hair Shedding: I just need someone to calm me down!

Oramus
September 11th, 2013, 12:01 AM
Alright so here's the thing: In July I was freaking out about the fact that I thought I was losing too much hair, however come August I was able to tell myself otherwise.. Well, now I'm freaking again.
I haven't really noticed a loss in inches or pony size, but now I'm losing up to 3 hairs at once, 10-20 hairs a day! This is really shocking for someone who hadn't ever really 'shed' before. My hair has just reached waist and I'm really scared that I'm going to lose it all :(.
Does anyone have any advice or kind words? I'm only 17 and I'm really freaked. My mom and sister say they see nothing and no change and that this is normal, but after losing chunks of hair a few years back I'm really sensitive to this kind of thing!

Thanks ahead of time,
Em.

Flor
September 11th, 2013, 12:10 AM
Err, what do you mean you never shed before? ;) That's very unlikely! Chances are you weren't paying much attention. For example, if I wear hair up the whole day, I notice more shedding when I take it down at night to brush it, just because it finally has a chance to escape. If I wear it loose, I don't see any shedding, but doesn't mean that it doesn't happen, it just sneaks out unnoticed. Also, it's easier to notice long hair shedding than short.

10-20 hairs a day is absolutely nothing! It's normal to shed 50-150 a day.

YamaMaya
September 11th, 2013, 12:18 AM
10-20 hairs a day is a very low amount to be shedding. On average it's between 50 and 100 hairs. It's not a big deal and what you're talking about seems like natural shedding. See your doctor if it starts coming out in large chunks or you notice thinning on particular parts of your head.

henné
September 11th, 2013, 12:23 AM
Sweetie pie, everyone sheds, all the time. You probably just never paid attention to it. It's ok, don't worry. 10-20 hairs per day is nothing. Average for a grown human being is 100. Bless your little heart.

sarahthegemini
September 11th, 2013, 04:09 AM
Agree with others that 10-20 hairs a day is nothing to worry about. Chances are you she just as much before but didn't notice. I would say worry only if you notice thinning overall.

Oramus
September 11th, 2013, 12:43 PM
Thank you all so much for your kind and quick replies. It's true, I probably just hadn't noticed my hair fall before and now it just seems like so much thanks to the length. You're all so sweet to put up with my paranoia, thank you again!!!
Also sarahthegemini and henné your hair is so pretty! I wish mine was that colour!

melusine963
September 11th, 2013, 12:49 PM
When I thought I was shedding more than normal I just measured my ponytail circumference and was able to reassure myself that nothing had changed. It's a useful tool for monitoring your thickness. Welcome to the LHC! :)

sarahthegemini
September 11th, 2013, 12:51 PM
Thank you all so much for your kind and quick replies. It's true, I probably just hadn't noticed my hair fall before and now it just seems like so much thanks to the length. You're all so sweet to put up with my paranoia, thank you again!!!
Also sarahthegemini and henné your hair is so pretty! I wish mine was that colour!

Aww, you're so sweet, I've never had compliments about my hair colour! :)

spidermom
September 11th, 2013, 01:08 PM
I was about to start worrying that you aren't shedding enough. haha

I never noticed shedding before I got involved with LHC, other than in my hair brush or while cleaning the vacuum cleaner roller.

rose313
September 11th, 2013, 01:24 PM
I've been shedding like crazy ever since I passed BSL. It seems like the longer it gets the more it sheds. It's normal. My guy friends find my hair all over the place and wonder how I even have any hair left.

Panth
September 11th, 2013, 01:35 PM
When I thought I was shedding more than normal I just measured my ponytail circumference and was able to reassure myself that nothing had changed. It's a useful tool for monitoring your thickness. Welcome to the LHC! :)

This.

Measuring ponytail thickness is a far superior method of monitoring thickness as a) it's easy and can be done monthly and b) if done monthly or so it averages out hair shedding throughout your washing routine - you will always shed more on days when you manipulate your hair more, as hairs that are already shed but are just sitting bunched-in next to the rest move out into your comb/shower/hands. Conditioner or other slip-producing treatments will also result in greater apparent shedding as they make it easier for the already-shed hairs to move out of the mass of the rest of your hair.

Also, remember - the longer your hair gets, the bigger lump a single hair makes when it's scrumpled up. So, longer hair = bigger clumps in your hairbrush or shower, not necessarily with any increase in shedding.

breezefaerie
September 11th, 2013, 01:48 PM
I totally agree that it's the length making it look like you are shedding more than normal.
You are fine :)

henné
September 11th, 2013, 01:51 PM
Thank you sweets and welcome to the boards :blossom:

Leeloo
September 11th, 2013, 03:17 PM
Alright so here's the thing: In July I was freaking out about the fact that I thought I was losing too much hair, however come August I was able to tell myself otherwise.. Well, now I'm freaking again.
I haven't really noticed a loss in inches or pony size, but now I'm losing up to 3 hairs at once, 10-20 hairs a day! This is really shocking for someone who hadn't ever really 'shed' before. My hair has just reached waist and I'm really scared that I'm going to lose it all :(.
Does anyone have any advice or kind words? I'm only 17 and I'm really freaked. My mom and sister say they see nothing and no change and that this is normal, but after losing chunks of hair a few years back I'm really sensitive to this kind of thing!

Thanks ahead of time,
Em.

If you’re really worried you should consult a doctor, but I think since you’re 17 years old this could be fluctuations in your hormones. If you had a really stressful event a few months back or if you were on a diet then that could be the reason for the shedding. Try to eat as healthy as possible and reduce stress.

jeanniet
September 11th, 2013, 04:51 PM
10-20 hairs a day is nothing! If I shed that little, I'd be shocked--I don't think I've ever shed as little as even 50 hairs a day. Most people don't pay attention to their sheds, but everyone sheds hair all the time. The amount varies, but some people easily shed five times the amount you do (ahem, me). So don't worry unless the rate changes dramatically and stays that way for some time.

Silverbrumby
September 11th, 2013, 11:58 PM
75 in my morning comb out snd and another 60+ During the day.

MissAlida
September 12th, 2013, 12:07 AM
I shed 50 strands at once, two or three times a day. 20 strands is a small amount, less then what an average person sheds. Nothing to worry about. I'm told shedding is a sign of illness, but I couldn't find the cause of it. I was told by the doctor, that it's stress. But I shed even when I'm not stressed. I cut my hair from BSL to chin, I just couldn't take it anymore. But this will not happen in your case ;) . Not with 20/day, you can rest assured.