PDA

View Full Version : Non-sulfates not cleansing enough?

Frostfen
September 10th, 2013, 08:47 PM
Hello all!

I've been using non-sulfate shampoos for the past year or so, and while my hair seems to be in better condition (especially the new growth), I've noticed that I still have a continual problem with oiliness. The very top layers look fine and perfectly clean, but once you inspect the lower layers, it looks like I haven't washed my hair in days, weeks even! It's so oily it almost looks like it's wet underneath. And, it's very difficult to clean it out. The last time I was able to wash away all the oiliness was when I scrubbed my scalp thoroughly with non-sulfate shampoo 3 times... while letting it sit on my scalp each time for several minutes! And I used a TON of it. I swear that I get my fingers all up in my scalp and massage it thoroughly each time I wash my hair, and I use a large amount of shampoo, but it still does not get to all of it. I have VERY thick hair--I'm the classic type iii in terms of hair thickness where my ponytail circumference is a little bit over 4 inches, so my hair density is outrageous and maybe that's perhaps why the shampoo doesn't thoroughly move throughout my scalp to clean it. I never had a problem with the sulfates getting to every nook and cranny of my hair because 1. they're stripping, and 2. they foam up so they spread out. I never had to use such a large quantity of sulfates to wash my hair as I do with the non-sulfates, and believe me.... diluting it hasn't helped.

While on one hand the oily underlayers cut down on my enormous hair volume quite nicely, it's not exactly something I'm looking for either. I'm also pretty convinced that I have a buildup of malassezia on my scalp, because my itchiness and dandruff has increased since I switched to non-sulfates, and guess what? The oils in sebum feed malassezia! So, all the excess oil sitting on my scalp constantly is essentially a huge buffet for the dandruff, and it's quite annoying. The thing is, I don't really want to switch back to sulfates, but I'm getting a bit fed up with it so I may cave in to an occasional clarifying. I don't think I have seborrheic dermatitis, because I'm pretty sure I don't have angry red patches on my scalp, but my mother has it and I know that I inherited her oily scalp. I also have PCOS, so the oiliness can only be helped so much by adjusting to non-sulfates and by stretching washes. I have done both, and while it's definitely cut down on the oil production.... it's obviously not getting rid of all of it! Yes, I know we shouldn't strip all the sebum away... but I'm rather frustrated. I know it's not just me adjusting to non-sulfates: I've already been through that, and like I said, the top layers are clean and don't get oily fast... it's only everything underneath that refuses to get completely clean.

Has this ever happened to any of you? Are perhaps non-sulfates just not cleansing enough for some people? What should I do?

WilfredAllen
September 10th, 2013, 09:49 PM
could you use a dry shampoo to soak up the oil and then wash that out?

That's the only idea I have. :(

LAG93
September 10th, 2013, 09:58 PM
I feel you on the non sulfates not cleaning very well....I chose to stay with sulfates or low sulfate shampoos. Like tresemme naturals, it has less sulfates than most sulfates brands but still does just as well at cleaning! Maybe my happy medium will help your hair too

sparrowswing
September 10th, 2013, 11:33 PM
I've had the same problems. For a year and a half now I've bounced from one sulfate-free shampoo to the next, hoping to find that perfect balance of gentle-yet-cleansing. Some of them I can make work by doing a double-wash (usually just a quick rub-over for the first and then a full massage for the second), but at that point you have to wonder if it's really being that much more gentle. And I hate walking around with hair that literally just finished drying that already looks like it hasn't been washed in a week. It feels great, and it usually looks fine in updos, assuming I don't do too much brushing and redistribute those annoying oils that seem to spring up like mushrooms after a rain the moment I finish a wash. But I'm on the verge of giving up and going back to sulfates (which will mean a whole new search for the gentlest sulfates I can find that do what I want) and probably cones too.

teela1978
September 10th, 2013, 11:40 PM
That's part of why I use sulfates. I also get buildup and an itchy scalp without some als or sls in my shampoo. Have you tried flipping your hair over to wash from both sides? Or pulling half of it up so you can really get soap to the bottom layer? Sometimes that will help.

ositarosita
September 11th, 2013, 12:25 AM
I didn't exactly go sulfate free I went CO and I found that it made my scalp incredibly itchy. Just this week in fact I found that herbal essences totally twisted shampoo did WONDERS .. my hair has not felt this amazing in over a year. Try a low sulfate shampoo that's meant to be moisturising, I find that they're gentler. That's all I can think of at the moment, I hope it helps.

Nini
September 11th, 2013, 12:52 AM
Clarify with a SLS-shampoo that works for you. I have to do this maybe four or five times a year. But it depends on your hair and your water. I often find I need to do it more often if I travel.

I don't usually lather up my length, but when I clarify I use a generous amount of shampoo, twice, all over.

Arien
September 11th, 2013, 01:11 AM
I find that non-sulphate shampoos dont wash my hair very well. I never get that squeaky clean feeling, even after 2-3 shampoos. I was having to use a sulphate shampoo for my 1st shampoo before swapping to my non sulphate one. However, I have just bought the Pureology Purify shampoo and it is absolutely fantastic and sulphate free. I went camping and came back with several days worth of batiste, silicones, grease and god knows what else in my hair and it cut through all of that and left my hair lovely. Completely squeaky clean! I quite often do my first shampoo with this and then a second shampoo with one of their more moisturising shampoos.

lulana
September 11th, 2013, 01:20 AM
I have exactly the same problem and additional the seb. dermatitis Problem so i gave up using sulphate free shampoo and just do a diluted Sulphate Shampoo wash only on the scalp and try to protect the length with conditioner.
It works and sometimes i can skip a wash with just CO without my scalp getting nuts.

henné
September 11th, 2013, 03:03 AM
Many folks actually need an occasional clarification with full-strength SLS laden shampoo. I do, about once per month. There is a poll on the topic on the mane forum I created not long ago. My scalp can't take SLS, but my hair being of low porosity as it is partly due to henna, requires it. Good luck finding the optimal solution!

Firefox7275
September 11th, 2013, 04:34 AM
Which sulphate free shampoo, what are all the ingredients? Are you using any natural oils or butters rich in oleic, stearic or palmitic acids? What is the medical diagnosis for your scalp problem? Are you sectioning your hair to wash and rinse each time? Are you eating a very low glycemic index anti inflammatory diet for your PCOS?

SD can be mild or severe and different people get different symptoms, IF you have a problem with malassezia you have SD. However there are always differential diagnoses, self treating a self diagnosis can do more far harm than good.

sourgrl
September 11th, 2013, 09:36 AM
I have found that not all sulfate free shampoos are created equal. It took several trial and errors for me to find one that worked well for me. I'm one of those girls that has oily roots naturally. With sulfates I had to was everyday. The sulfate shampoo I use now allows me to stretch to every other day.

Frostfen
September 22nd, 2013, 08:19 PM
Which sulphate free shampoo, what are all the ingredients? Are you using any natural oils or butters rich in oleic, stearic or palmitic acids?

Oh goodness, this may become a long response, because I've tried a good handful! The first I used was Shea Moisture Curl and Shine shampoo, which does indeed have a lot of natural oils and butters in it, and eventually I stopped using it (at least regularly) because it eventually made me feel like I had a helmet of oil on my head at all times! Plus it made my dandruff go completely nuts. Ingredients are:

Deionized Water, Decyl Glucoside (Sugar Beets), Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil (Certified Organic Ingredient), Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter) (Certified Organic Ingredient), Aloe Vera Leaf Juice, Vitamin E, Melia Azadirachta (Neem) Seed Oil, Sodium Lauroyl Lactylate (Coconut Oil), Panthenol (Vitamin B-5), Rosemary Extract, Silk Protein, Lonicera Caprifolium (Honeysuckle) Flower (and) Lonicera Japonica (Japanese Honeysuckle) Flower Extract.

I also tried the whole no-poo baking soda and vinegar thing.... it didn't even clean my scalp at all, and the oil and dandruff just built up until it was horribly itchy and flakes pretty much rained down. I also tried yucca root powder, and that also didn't clean my scalp at all.

Then I used Aubrey Organics Green Tea Clarifying shampoo, which left my hair righteously frizzy, dry, and crunchy. But, I couldn't afford to try more then, so I stuck with it. Ingredients are:

Aqua, decyl glucoside, alcohol denat. (38b, lavender*), aloe barbadensis leaf extract*, glycerin, hydrolyzed sweet almond protein, betaine, glucose, xanthan, citrus medica limonum (lemon) peel oil*, citric acid, camellia sinensis (green tea) leaf powder*, prunus amygdalus dulcis (sweet almond) oil, urtica dioica (nettle) leaf*, citrus grandis (grapefruit) extract, glucose oxidase, lactoperoxidase, tanacetum annuum (Moroccan blue camomile) oil*, tocopheryl acetate, hamamelis virginiana (witch hazel) water, ascorbic acid, glycine soja (soybean) oil, daucus carota sativa (carrot) root extract, beta-carotene.

Realizing that it also didn't clean my scalp very well as well as the fact that my dandruff and itchy scalp were driving me nuts, I decided to try Nature's Gate Tea Tree and Blue Cypress shampoo, along with Desert Essence Lemon Tea Tree conditioner because my hair was very dry and needed legit conditioner (I was using ACV as a conditioner until that point). The former's ingredients are:

Water, Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Flower/Leaf/Stem
Extract*, Disodium Laureth Sulfosuccinate (Coconut Derived), Cocamidopropyl Betaine (Coconut Derived), PEG-120 Methyl Glucose Dioleate, Decyl Glucoside (Vegetable Derived),Melaleuca Alternifolia (Tea Tree) Leaf Oil*, Callitris Introtropica(Blue Cypress) Wood Oil, Mentha Piperita (Peppermint)Leaf Extract*, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract*, Hyssopus Officinalis (Hyssop) Extract*, Mentha Viridis (Spearmint) Leaf Extract,* Glycyrrhiza Glabra (Licorice) Root Extract*, Urtica Dioica
(Nettle) Leaf Extract*, Rosa Canina (Rosehips) Fruit Extract*, Thymus Vulgaris(Thyme) Leaf Extract*, Panthenol, Soyamidopropalkonium Chloride (Vegetable Derived), Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Hydrolyzed Wheat Starch, Isoceteth-20, Polysorbate 80, Disodium EDTA, Polyquaternium-10 Plant Derived), Alcohol*,Glyceryl Undecylenate (Vegetable Derived), Phenoxyethanol, Citric Acid (Vegetable Derived), Fragrance**.

The latter's ingredients are:

Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice *, Citrus Limon (Lemon) Peel Extract*, Cetearyl Alcohol, Glycerin (Palm), Behentrimonium Chloride, Leuconostoc/Radish Root Ferment Filtrate, Caprylic/Capric Triglycerides, Hydrolyzed Jojoba Esters, Jojoba Esters, Leptospermum Petersonii Oil, Melaleuca Alternifolia (Tea Tree) Leaf Oil*, Panthenol (Pro-Vitamin B-5), Salix Alba (Willow) Bark Extract*, Lepidium Meyenii Root Extract (Maca Root)*, Yucca Brevifolia Root Extract (Yucca Cactus)*, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter, Symphytum Officinale Leaf Extract (Comfrey)*, Urtica Dioica (Nettle) Leaf Extract*, Macrocystis Pyrifera Extract (Sea Kelp)*, Potassium Sorbate, Citric Acid, Water (Aqua)

I even tried cowashing with the Desert Essence for a little bit, because I was working in a hot humid warehouse over the summer and I didn't want to fry my hair by washing it with shampoo everyday... but it just made my scalp terribly oily, itchy, with more dandruff. The Nature's Gate also didn't clean the scalp enough or alleviate the dandruff, and it left my hair frizzy as well, presumably from the protein.

Then, I tried Jason's Dandruff shampoo, which does clean better, but it also makes my hair still a bit frizzy and I hate the smell. Ingredients are:

Ingredients: Active Ingredients: Sulfur 2% - Controls Dandruff
Salicylic Acid 2% - Controls Seborrheic Dermatitis.

Other Ingredients: Aqua (water, sodium cocoyl isethionate, disodium cocoamphodiacetate, stearic acid, potassium cocoyl glutamate, glycerin, sodium lauroyl sarcosinate, cetyl alcohol, cocamidopropyl betaine, hydrolyzed wheat protein, olea europaea (olive) fruit oil(1), pogostemon cablin (patchouli) oil, rosmarinus officinalis (rosemary) leaf oil, simmondsia chinensis (jojoba) seed oil(1), camphor, dimethyl sulfone(2), menthol, methyl salicylate, potassium hydroxide, sodium PCA, xanthan gum, benzyl alcohol, capryloyl glycine, undecylenoyl glycine, amyl cinnamal, benzyl benzoate, hexyl cinnamal, hydroxycitronellal, linalool, limonene, fragrance (parfum)
(1)Certified Organic Ingredient: (2)MSM

What is the medical diagnosis for your scalp problem?

I'll admit: I don't have a medical diagnosis. I just suspect yeast buildup on my scalp, because the products I used rich in oleic aids and butters made it far, far worse, which I learned feeds malassezia, and the fact that the dandruff gets worse in summer, and not winter like dandruff associated with dry scalps does, the fact that my mother has seborrheic dermatitis, and the fact that since I've clarified with sulfates lately, my scalp has looked and felt loads better (not necessarily my hair though). But no, I can't make any definite assumptions as to what EXACTLY the dandruff is because I have no medical diagnosis.

Are you sectioning your hair to wash and rinse each time?

Nope! I didn't even know that was a thing! I never heard of that until now, but seems silly that I've never thought about it! Maybe that's part of the problem. I can't but help to think, however, that it would take up too much time in the shower, as I already spend too much time in there due to my thick hair...

Are you eating a very low glycemic index anti inflammatory diet for your PCOS?

Yes, I eat a pretty good diet, very low in refined carbs and a goodly amount of protein, with lots of fruit and veggies :D

Liz_park
September 22nd, 2013, 09:12 PM
I mostly do co-washing, however, I do wash my hair with a sulfate-free shampoo once a week to clarify.

I have tried several, and this is the best I've found: It's called L'Oreal Everpure Sulfate Free Shampoo. I love it so much! It's very gentle and cleans well.

Ingredient list: Aqua/Water, Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate, Sodium Lauryl Sulfoacetate, Disodium Laureth Sulfosuccinate, Sodium Lauroyl Sarcosinate, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Glycol Distearate, Divinyldimethicone/Dimethicone Copolymer, Glycereth-26, Decyl Glucoside, Parfum/Fragrance, PPG-5-Ceteth-20, Amodimethicone, Polyquaternium-10, Methylparaben, PEG-55 Propylene Glycol Oleate, Propylene Glycol, Carbomer, C11-15 Pareth-7, Benzophenone-3, Benzyl Salicylate, Hexyl Cinnamal, Glycerin, Trideceth-12, Laureth-9, C12-13 Pareth-23, Linalool, Tocopherol, C12-13 Pareth-3, Limonene, Benzyl Alcohol, Juniperus Communis Fruit Oil, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Rosmarinus Officinalis Oil/Rosemary Leaf Oil, Methylisothiazolinone, Sodium Hydroxide, Citric Acid

http://img4-1.realsimple.timeinc.net/images/0911/shamp-und-loreal_300.jpg

Note: I would not recommend the conditioner in this line at all. It's much too heavy. I'm not sure what is in it but it makes my hair feel awful. I just use my regular conditioner instead.

Firefox7275
September 23rd, 2013, 12:55 AM
Oh goodness, this may become a long response, because I've tried a good handful! The first I used was Shea Moisture Curl and Shine shampoo, which does indeed have a lot of natural oils and butters in it, and eventually I stopped using it (at least regularly) because it eventually made me feel like I had a helmet of oil on my head at all times! Plus it made my dandruff go completely nuts. Ingredients are:

Deionized Water, Decyl Glucoside (Sugar Beets), Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil (Certified Organic Ingredient), Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter) (Certified Organic Ingredient), Aloe Vera Leaf Juice, Vitamin E, Melia Azadirachta (Neem) Seed Oil, Sodium Lauroyl Lactylate (Coconut Oil), Panthenol (Vitamin B-5), Rosemary Extract, Silk Protein, Lonicera Caprifolium (Honeysuckle) Flower (and) Lonicera Japonica (Japanese Honeysuckle) Flower Extract.

I also tried the whole no-poo baking soda and vinegar thing.... it didn't even clean my scalp at all, and the oil and dandruff just built up until it was horribly itchy and flakes pretty much rained down. I also tried yucca root powder, and that also didn't clean my scalp at all.

Then I used Aubrey Organics Green Tea Clarifying shampoo, which left my hair righteously frizzy, dry, and crunchy. But, I couldn't afford to try more then, so I stuck with it. Ingredients are:

Aqua, decyl glucoside, alcohol denat. (38b, lavender*), aloe barbadensis leaf extract*, glycerin, hydrolyzed sweet almond protein, betaine, glucose, xanthan, citrus medica limonum (lemon) peel oil*, citric acid, camellia sinensis (green tea) leaf powder*, prunus amygdalus dulcis (sweet almond) oil, urtica dioica (nettle) leaf*, citrus grandis (grapefruit) extract, glucose oxidase, lactoperoxidase, tanacetum annuum (Moroccan blue camomile) oil*, tocopheryl acetate, hamamelis virginiana (witch hazel) water, ascorbic acid, glycine soja (soybean) oil, daucus carota sativa (carrot) root extract, beta-carotene.

Realizing that it also didn't clean my scalp very well as well as the fact that my dandruff and itchy scalp were driving me nuts, I decided to try Nature's Gate Tea Tree and Blue Cypress shampoo, along with Desert Essence Lemon Tea Tree conditioner because my hair was very dry and needed legit conditioner (I was using ACV as a conditioner until that point). The former's ingredients are:

Water, Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Flower/Leaf/Stem
Extract*, Disodium Laureth Sulfosuccinate (Coconut Derived), Cocamidopropyl Betaine (Coconut Derived), PEG-120 Methyl Glucose Dioleate, Decyl Glucoside (Vegetable Derived),Melaleuca Alternifolia (Tea Tree) Leaf Oil*, Callitris Introtropica(Blue Cypress) Wood Oil, Mentha Piperita (Peppermint)Leaf Extract*, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract*, Hyssopus Officinalis (Hyssop) Extract*, Mentha Viridis (Spearmint) Leaf Extract,* Glycyrrhiza Glabra (Licorice) Root Extract*, Urtica Dioica
(Nettle) Leaf Extract*, Rosa Canina (Rosehips) Fruit Extract*, Thymus Vulgaris(Thyme) Leaf Extract*, Panthenol, Soyamidopropalkonium Chloride (Vegetable Derived), Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Hydrolyzed Wheat Starch, Isoceteth-20, Polysorbate 80, Disodium EDTA, Polyquaternium-10 Plant Derived), Alcohol*,Glyceryl Undecylenate (Vegetable Derived), Phenoxyethanol, Citric Acid (Vegetable Derived), Fragrance**.

The latter's ingredients are:

Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice *, Citrus Limon (Lemon) Peel Extract*, Cetearyl Alcohol, Glycerin (Palm), Behentrimonium Chloride, Leuconostoc/Radish Root Ferment Filtrate, Caprylic/Capric Triglycerides, Hydrolyzed Jojoba Esters, Jojoba Esters, Leptospermum Petersonii Oil, Melaleuca Alternifolia (Tea Tree) Leaf Oil*, Panthenol (Pro-Vitamin B-5), Salix Alba (Willow) Bark Extract*, Lepidium Meyenii Root Extract (Maca Root)*, Yucca Brevifolia Root Extract (Yucca Cactus)*, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter, Symphytum Officinale Leaf Extract (Comfrey)*, Urtica Dioica (Nettle) Leaf Extract*, Macrocystis Pyrifera Extract (Sea Kelp)*, Potassium Sorbate, Citric Acid, Water (Aqua)

I even tried cowashing with the Desert Essence for a little bit, because I was working in a hot humid warehouse over the summer and I didn't want to fry my hair by washing it with shampoo everyday... but it just made my scalp terribly oily, itchy, with more dandruff. The Nature's Gate also didn't clean the scalp enough or alleviate the dandruff, and it left my hair frizzy as well, presumably from the protein.

Then, I tried Jason's Dandruff shampoo, which does clean better, but it also makes my hair still a bit frizzy and I hate the smell. Ingredients are:

Ingredients: Active Ingredients: Sulfur 2% - Controls Dandruff
Salicylic Acid 2% - Controls Seborrheic Dermatitis.

Other Ingredients: Aqua (water, sodium cocoyl isethionate, disodium cocoamphodiacetate, stearic acid, potassium cocoyl glutamate, glycerin, sodium lauroyl sarcosinate, cetyl alcohol, cocamidopropyl betaine, hydrolyzed wheat protein, olea europaea (olive) fruit oil(1), pogostemon cablin (patchouli) oil, rosmarinus officinalis (rosemary) leaf oil, simmondsia chinensis (jojoba) seed oil(1), camphor, dimethyl sulfone(2), menthol, methyl salicylate, potassium hydroxide, sodium PCA, xanthan gum, benzyl alcohol, capryloyl glycine, undecylenoyl glycine, amyl cinnamal, benzyl benzoate, hexyl cinnamal, hydroxycitronellal, linalool, limonene, fragrance (parfum)
(1)Certified Organic Ingredient: (2)MSM

I'll admit: I don't have a medical diagnosis. I just suspect yeast buildup on my scalp, because the products I used rich in oleic aids and butters made it far, far worse, which I learned feeds malassezia, and the fact that the dandruff gets worse in summer, and not winter like dandruff associated with dry scalps does, the fact that my mother has seborrheic dermatitis, and the fact that since I've clarified with sulfates lately, my scalp has looked and felt loads better (not necessarily my hair though). But no, I can't make any definite assumptions as to what EXACTLY the dandruff is because I have no medical diagnosis.

Nope! I didn't even know that was a thing! I never heard of that until now, but seems silly that I've never thought about it! Maybe that's part of the problem. I can't but help to think, however, that it would take up too much time in the shower, as I already spend too much time in there due to my thick hair...

Yes, I eat a pretty good diet, very low in refined carbs and a goodly amount of protein, with lots of fruit and veggies :D

I see a lot of oils and butters, plant extracts and protein, any or all of which could be worsening the issues you describe on this and your other thread.

You would be wise to seek a formal diagnosis for your scalp issue, you might have contact dermatitis given you don't feel you are washing or rinsing effectively enough and have previously used baking soda. It's also possibly a symptom of poorly controlled PCOS, your doctor may wish to address the scalp issue via that route. If you do have seborrhoeic dermatitis Regenepure is a sulphate free option (contains proven anti fungal ketoconazole). Salicylic acid can be effective but is very drying. http://www.regenepure.com/our-ingredients.html/#NO
If you have contact dermatitis the best solution would be a simple shampoo 'base' and conditioner 'base' from a cosmetics base company because these have few ingredients - cocoamidopropyl betaine is an effective alternative to sulphates, ideally choose products at pH 4.5 to 5.5 which respects the skin barrier.

Whichever scalp disorder you have thorough rinsing is key, you won't get a healthy scalp if you leave shampoo residues on it. It doesn't take long to roughly divide your hair into two or three sections. If you followed the Curly Girl method you would leave some of your conditioner in as you rinse, which is time saving. I actually only use leave in conditioner much of the time no rinse out, tho I do co-wash.

Excess protein is pro inflammatory it's more important to have it little and often starting at breakfast than a large quantity, sugary fruit can also be inflammatory. Are you eating plenty of oily fish, mineral rich foods like seeds, beans and lentils?

SleepyTangles
September 23rd, 2013, 01:44 AM
Do you diluite your shampoo in water? I find that most sulfate free shampoos don't work or cleanse at all if they aren't correctly diluited in water (many producers are super careful to stress this point, when you buy their products...). It seem silly, but otherwise hair turns out dirtier.

I'm sorry for your bad experience, mine was very positive: I use sulphate free everything from two years, now.

lapushka
September 23rd, 2013, 02:23 AM
The very top layers look fine and perfectly clean, but once you inspect the lower layers, it looks like I haven't washed my hair in days, weeks even! It's so oily it almost looks like it's wet underneath. And, it's very difficult to clean it out. The last time I was able to wash away all the oiliness was when I scrubbed my scalp thoroughly with non-sulfate shampoo 3 times... while letting it sit on my scalp each time for several minutes! And I used a TON of it. I swear that I get my fingers all up in my scalp and massage it thoroughly each time I wash my hair, and I use a large amount of shampoo, but it still does not get to all of it. I have VERY thick hair--I'm the classic type iii in terms of hair thickness where my ponytail circumference is a little bit over 4 inches, so my hair density is outrageous and maybe that's perhaps why the shampoo doesn't thoroughly move throughout my scalp to clean it.

I'm a (wavy) iii as well, and for that reason, what we do here is take 3 big blobs (palmful) of shampoo, one for the back, one for the top of the head, one (divided) for both the sides. That makes sure every single spot is coated with shampoo. I am also oily and use sulfates, the harsher ones even, for cleansing. It's the best for me, I find, and I see no adverse effects from it, so why should I not continue to use it? Besides the milder shampoos aren't cleansing enough for me. Same issue!

Nique1202
September 23rd, 2013, 06:54 AM
I also find sulfate-free shampoos to be not nearly cleansing enough. I have tried the Body Shop's formulation, but I had to use a LOT of it just to make my hair feel somewhat clean. I'll stick to my full-of-sulfates Lush solid shampoos, because my scalp gets really greasy and I need to be able to cut through that efficiently. Also, I find the solid shampoo helps me get the shampoo very close to the scalp, somehow it never seemed to penetrate when I used liquid shampoo before.

teela1978
September 23rd, 2013, 08:34 AM
I've pretty much given up on sulfate-free shampoos. They just don't work on my scalp, it's greasier than I like it after a wash and I develop little scalp pimples. Bring on the SLS.

kmcg
September 23rd, 2013, 11:47 AM
I'm sure the malassezia dermatitis is causing an over production of oil. I would focus on getting that under control first. You might look into tea tree essential oil and/or neem oil for it. Neem oil is one of those oils that does everything: anti fungal, antibacterial, antiviral, etc etc. People have mixed feelings about the neem oil smell so tea tree oil might cover the smell nicely. Plus TTO is antibacterial, prevents lice and fights dandruff (it does more but that's what I remember off the top of my head). Tamanu oil also has many of the same beneficial properties as neem. I think it smells a little like maple syrup but maybe that's just me. It is a nut oil so beware if you have allergies to nuts.
Otherwise, have you tried regularly redistributing the oils with a boar bristle brush? I know the no 'poo baking soda and vinegar didn't work for you but have you tried adding a little baking soda to your shampoo? I've read this helps to clarify. Clay or activated charcoal could also be a good option for a once in a while clarifying treatment if you want to continue using your old shampoo.
Feel free to disregard my input, I'm coming from a very different, hippy-ish perspective. Bottom line is that we all must do what works for us. I hope you find the best solution quickly!

Liz_park
September 23rd, 2013, 02:07 PM
I just wanted to post one more suggestion for those who are frustrated with non-SLS shampoos. Kiehl's has an excellent sulfate-free shampoo. I used this one for a while and I really loved it. The only reason I switched to l'Oreal Everpure was that it was cheaper and I wanted to save money. But this one smells wonderful, it's really gentle, and it cleans wonderfully, definitely worth a try:

http://www.allure.com/images/beauty-products/hair/2010/kiehls-sunflower-color-preserving-shampoo-en.jpg