PDA

View Full Version : Long hair in the World of Business (Professional Issues with Long Hair?)

LAG93
September 10th, 2013, 06:38 PM
Hello everyone!

I started this thread because I could not find any related to this question...Is it acceptable for a professional businesswoman (manager, CEO, accountant, marketing executive, or any executive type position) to have long hair? Not BSL long, but like TB or Classic length?

Some background information on myself:
I'm 19, currently going to university, most likely majoring in marketing and management, and I would like an executive position at a big corporate business.
I have been growing my hair from SL for 2 1/2 years. It is now WAIST! (yay :D)
But I would like to continue to grow my hair possibly to tailbone. However, since I am a sophomore in college, and I wish to have a professional, office type of job, I am wondering if it may be inappropriate to have such long hair? (Along with many of my other current habits, like not wearing a bra, fashionably sexy clothes)
I want to be highly respected and taken seriously. I also want really long hair, can the two go together? And if so are there certain styles that may be more suitable than others?
I like to wear my hair down, or half up, and with long hair that may not be the most professional style...

I'd love to hear you ladies' opinions on this topic! Also I mean no offense to anyone by asking this question. It's just a curiosity of mine!

MeganE
September 10th, 2013, 06:50 PM
I avoid the discussion with anyone at work by never wearing it down. Buns, braided buns, and twists keep it up and nobody knows how long it is. Keep in mind that you are already developing your professional reputation with colleagues and professors. Use good sense and you'll be fine.

massivecnqstdr
September 10th, 2013, 06:53 PM
I totally agree that just keeping it in tidy updo's is the way to go. I actually think a neat updo is even more professional looking than a bob or similar.

Crumpet
September 10th, 2013, 06:54 PM
Keep it up in buns and it will look professional. In the professional world, it is generally accepted that it most appropriate for hair to be up if it is beyond shoulder-length anyway. No-one will know how long it is and you will look sleek and professional.

kaydana
September 10th, 2013, 07:03 PM
In my opinion, loose long hair does not look professional. If you want it long, keep it up in a tidy updo with discrete/invisible hair toys.

teddygirl
September 10th, 2013, 07:05 PM
I agree with kaydana. Long hair to me doesnt look very professional. Even my hair (waistish) I know doesnt look professional. It looks fun and sexy, not business-ey. But keep it up and no one will know.

trolleypup
September 10th, 2013, 07:37 PM
Depends on the industry. If you go someplace where ability is truly valued over appearance and how well you play the game, then your hair choices and other personal habits may count less...but in general, the business world, especially the marketing/mgmt side is extremely conservative, especially when faced with a skilled, confident woman. In my company, there are a number of people in positions equivalent to VP sorts of jobs with long hair (I think the longest is near classic, longest haired male is past shoulder somewhere)...but this is not the corporate world (big city transit agency).

I think "the uniform" is most required in the middle ranks...once you get to the highest ranks, you can be your own person again.

The ugly truth about the corporate world is...a woman has to be at least twice as good as the males she is competing with, and a long haired woman would likely increase the multiplier.

Unless you find the right place, wear the uniform. Good luck on finding a place that doesn't have a strict "dress code".

trolleypup
September 10th, 2013, 07:41 PM
Depends on the industry. If you go someplace where ability is truly valued over appearance and how well you play the game, then your hair choices and other personal habits may count less...but in general, the business world, especially the marketing/mgmt side is extremely conservative, especially when faced with a skilled, confident woman. In my company, there are a number of people in positions equivalent to VP sorts of jobs with long hair (I think the longest is near classic, longest haired male is past shoulder somewhere)...but this is not the corporate world (big city transit agency).

I think "the uniform" is most required in the middle ranks...once you get to the highest ranks, you can be your own person again.

The ugly truth about the corporate world is...a woman has to be at least twice as good as the males she is competing with, and a long haired woman would likely increase the multiplier.

Unless you find the right place, wear the uniform. Good luck on finding a place that doesn't have a strict "dress code".

eta: personally, I hate it when people choose the safe, comfortable, doesn't rock the boat, good-old-boy type decision so they can avoid facing the hard truths. I'm good with whatever the boss looks like, so long as they have the skills, abilities, and strength to do the damned job.

Lindseyh
September 10th, 2013, 07:51 PM
I might not have a corner office type business person, but I'm a manager over appx 300 ppl including 10 other/subordinate managers and I tend to keep my hair put up. It's not hugely long, mid back, but I feel more capable (cause its out of the way)if its put up. But I do put it up with almost any hair toy I have, that's my "rebellion".

LAG93
September 10th, 2013, 08:00 PM
Thanks everyone for the feedback! I'm not used to doing updos really since my hair has just recently become "long". So I'm not used to what my face looks like with them!

And trolleypup I think you're right about the type of industry, and location! As well as that it is just harder for women in general especially long haired ones in the business world.

I can't imagine wearing my hair up everyday :(

I keep thinking of Sandra bullock in the proposal, she was so high fashion businessy and sleek but she had reasonably long hair, it looked great and professional in a pony! But maybe much longer and it would not have...

LAG93
September 10th, 2013, 08:01 PM
If anyone has personal good/bad experiences in the business world/actually awesome fun jobs with their long hair do share!

CurlyMopTop
September 10th, 2013, 08:14 PM
I work as a general manager in the accounting/tax industry. My hair is just past bsl and I intend to grow it to tailbone-ish. I once thought it would look unprofessional but came to realize that as long as I keep it clean and it looks good, my clients and boss don't care. It's my ability that matters! I do however believe that first impressions matter. I wear my hair up for business meetings with new clients and would wear it back for a job interview. :D

EdG
September 10th, 2013, 08:15 PM
At my work, I see a lot of women engineers with BSL or longer hair. They're almost always Indian or Chinese (cultures where long hair is traditional).

I'm not sure if this helps in your case. Engineers tend to get a lot of leeway for doing good engineering.
Ed

woodswanderer
September 10th, 2013, 08:35 PM
I am wondering if your dislike of wearing a bra might hurt you more in a professional setting than the long hair. I don't personally know anyone in a professional setting who is visibly not wearing one. It wasn't clear to me in your post if you intend to see if you can get accepted in the business world without one or if you are just curious about the hair issue. I think most people I know don't consider loose long hair to be professional, but maybe if you are really talented you will just be viewed as different/eccentric and still accepted.

Crumpet
September 10th, 2013, 08:39 PM
I have a professional career that puts me in front of other professionals all day long. No-one has ever had a problem with my hair (the occasional complement from friend/colleagues though). When I work abroad, which is frequent, I usually get complements because I work in cultures where long hair on women is the norm. If anything it has helped my career in those cases. I always wear my hair up at work in simple buns with spin pins and my simpler hair sticks. I may get crazy and wear one of my more decorative hair sticks one of these days though.

Not Lynn Merely
September 10th, 2013, 09:04 PM
Depending on which industry you go into, hair up is generally the way to go. Length doesn't matter, as long as your hair is out of the way. Anything significantly past shoulder-length starts to get in the way and looks less mature (in the eyes of others). Hair down means that it is easier to start fidgeting with the ends, needing to constantly readjust it, etc. which has the added disadvantage of looking like flirting in the wrong context.

I love long hair, but it does not fit a professional environment. Business-casual clothing is accepted in offices long before casual hair. If you can, take attire and hair cues from your superiors.

If anyone has personal good/bad experiences in the business world/actually awesome fun jobs with their long hair do share!

I am also an accountant. At the office of one client, I had been spending two-plus weeks visiting for the past three Tax Seasons. One Friday, I was invited to join the owners, office staff, and crew out for drinks. The head owner was talking to me a lot, and after having a few asked how long my hair was (as I had been careful to always wear it bunned). I ended up taking it down and finger-combing it. He got a ride home, and I sat with the bookkeeper (with whom I have become close) for a long time talking. She told me that my physical type and long hair make me very similar to that owner's wife, and that he had been flirting that night... She said he wouldn't remember any of it come Monday.

It was just really awkward. I think I should have kept my hair up.

LAG93
September 10th, 2013, 09:33 PM
woodswandererThe bra thing is a habit of mine as of now, especially with this hot weather. However I don't intend to not wear one with business clothing I think it'd be very obvious! Unless i wear a suit jacket? I don't know! But I hope that someday in my career I will be able to wear my hair how I like and still be considered talented. Boo on society for so quickly judging everyone constantly!

And Not Lynn Merely it is interesting to hear your experience, I can see myself having that same awkward issue with male coworkers/bosses. I think it must happen to many women especially when the business gets taken to dinners/drinks outside the office, even if the conversation is still business related!

And EdG thank you for that observation! I know a lot of engineering companies and other companies in general are hiring more women these days, one would think talent would matter more than appearance. That just doesn't seem to be the case with all types of businesses, i worry that appearance matters a lot in lets say the fashion industry! It is interesting to see that different types of businesses have different expectations or are open to everyone's own personality/appearance

samanthaj08
September 10th, 2013, 09:42 PM

I work in corporate headquarters of one of the top five insurance companies in US. I'm at waist with natural hair, hip with straightened hair and never wear my hair up because my face looks weird without hair. I've gotten everything from compliments, to people insisting I cut it, to some random guy asking if he can touch it.

Breakdown -
direct superiors and colleagues generally are complimentary
higher people aren't necessarily rude, but I get a weird vibe
passing by strangers from standard women and men are usually nice, women with short hair generally say it's too long

LAG93
September 10th, 2013, 09:46 PM
I work in corporate headquarters of one of the top five insurance companies in US. I'm at waist with natural hair, hip with straightened hair and never wear my hair up because my face looks weird without hair. I've gotten everything from compliments, to people insisting I cut it, to some random guy asking if he can touch it.

Breakdown -
direct superiors and colleagues generally are complimentary
higher people aren't necessarily rude, but I get a weird vibe
passing by strangers from standard women and men are usually nice, women with short hair generally say it's too long

Do you think that it has hurt your career at all? Or that people, although they may not like it, do not consider it when they are assessing your ability? That they still see you as credible and reliable as you are?

Magalo
September 10th, 2013, 09:49 PM
Putting your hair up at work is not hard and it's definetly not a very hard sacrifice... keep your hair loose when you're at home and going out.

AmyBeth
September 10th, 2013, 09:55 PM
My daughter, who is a very young looking 26, works in a very conservative marketing firm as an analyst. She has TBL blonde hair. She usually wears it up by twisting it until it coils and wrapping an elastic around it! She has no patience to do more elaborate dos. Although, I recently gave her some hair sticks which she loves. Whenever she wears her hair down at the office (not very often and not for very long) she gets compliments, compliments and more compliments.

samanthaj08
September 10th, 2013, 09:59 PM
Do you think that it has hurt your career at all? Or that people, although they may not like it, do not consider it when they are assessing your ability? That they still see you as credible and reliable as you are?

I haven't had any personal issue. But this company also has an extremely relaxed dress code called 'dress for your day', aka you only have to dress up if you feel like you should so most everyone wears jeans. There's an older woman here with classic length thick straight blonde hair that she puts in elaborate braids. One of my guy friends has hair longer than mine that he always keeps down and gathered at a low ponytail.

I'd say that if it was a more rigid dress code, I'd keep it up.

LAG93
September 10th, 2013, 10:03 PM
samanthaj08 great to know some companies are more laid back while still doing great work! Maybe a place like that would be best for me as well!

samanthaj08
September 10th, 2013, 10:05 PM
samanthaj08 great to know some companies are more laid back while still doing great work! Maybe a place like that would be best for me as well!

Sure :) If you have any State Farm office near you, check it out

LAG93
September 10th, 2013, 10:12 PM
Sure :) If you have any State Farm office near you, check it out

Will do! That is actually the insurance I use for my car, and I've had great experiences with my agent, very friendly and makes me want to continue my plan with the company. Great indicator of a great business!

truepeacenik
September 10th, 2013, 10:16 PM
I was a reporter for a decade, and my hair length was never an issue.
One supervisor was a jerk to redheads, but length, not a big deal.
I did wear it up a lot, and never loose.

lulana
September 11th, 2013, 01:41 AM
A lot of our female CEO's cut their hair short even if there is no rule to do so, i find it more confident to wear your hair as you like it if there is no special rule about it. I wonder if it is a more female habbit to worry about Updo's :confused:

Bambi
September 11th, 2013, 03:16 AM
I have to wear my hair up everyday at work, so I would say that you get used to it..then when I meet my colleauges in private they always compliments my MBL lenght wurls, and I do the same for them.
A nice updo with a well put together outfit can never go wrong in my book.

höpönasu
September 11th, 2013, 03:18 AM
To me it's sad that even your hair style / lenght defines how professional you look. ):

Becky9679
September 11th, 2013, 03:25 AM
In an ideal world it wouldn't matter at all what you looked like and once your co-workers and superiors get to know you it usually won't, but unfortunately when people are first getting to know you it might make a difference.

I'm a legal secretary and I also happen to be a goth/metal fan with multiple piercings and tattoos as well as long hair. When I first started at my current job I toned down my usual appearance rather a lot, however now I've got a few years behind me and my bosses know that I'm good at my job I can afford to let a little more of my own personality creep into my work attire. I still look smart but I don't bother to try and hide my tattoos or piercings, or the fact that my dress sense is a little different than most and will occasionally wear my hair down (though to be honest in an office chair it usually gets very annoying after a while and I end up putting it up anyway!)

koko
September 11th, 2013, 03:25 AM
I see no reason why should your hair effect on how good are you at what you do( there are some exeptions- I will work in a lab when I graduate, so my hair HAS to be covered with a cap. also, the complete food industry-no reason to explain). But in a office bussines, it is discriminating.

daredevil14
September 11th, 2013, 03:52 AM
I always thought that, for women, it wouldn't be much of an issue! (Even for high positions, I mean they wouldn't force you to get it cut to get the job you know...)

I work as a procurement administrator in the headoffice of a very large group, I have APL wavy/curly hair and I always wear it in a ponytail! For us (guys with long hair), it can sometimes be considered a miracle to get accepted in such office positions without asking to get our hair cut.

I wouldn't even dare to wear my hair down lol since, even for a ponytail, I do get some weird looks (mainly from passing by people and strangers) but my colleagues and my managers are now familiar with my appearance and some even complimented me for my hair texture and length!

breezefaerie
September 11th, 2013, 06:48 AM
While my hair is not long by LHC standards, it is long where I work. I am an admin which means I am a desk jockey and gatekeeper for my manager. It's part of my job to look professional and I knew that going into this.

My hair is always up at work. I will occasionally wear a ponytail but never down. My tattoos are covered and my nose piercing is very small and discrete.
Those who know me outside of work are always surprised when I "let my hair down" so to speak. :)

What is the saying - dress for the job you want, not the job you have?

humble_knight
September 11th, 2013, 07:08 AM
A friend down in the south of England has beyond-floorlength hair, which she always wears up in a massive bun each time she steps out of her home. Co-workers needle her all the time about how long her hair is and she always smiles, or laughs it off. They can ask to see it down, but it's her prerogative to decline their request, and she always does. She only lets it down for her fiance, her family, or close friends.

woolyleprechaun
September 11th, 2013, 07:38 AM
My hair is always up in public, but when I wish to look professional I make a length eating bun and hold it with spin pins, a very short, plain stick or amish pins. Nobody would know how much hair I have.
I doubt very much if your length could be an issue if nobody knows how long it is ;)

Bagginslover
September 11th, 2013, 07:44 AM
Office work is not the only type of job where wearing your hair up is neccisary- manual jobs with machinery, jobs in retail, and the food production and retail sector all requre hair to be worn up (in this country at least). I've worked in food retail for most of my working life so far (only been ou of it a few years) and my hair was bunned every day, and under a hat. It was just part of the uniform.

Try to see wearing your hair up that way, as part of your uniform, or professional persona ;)

goldenlady
September 11th, 2013, 07:46 AM
As a trainee teacher I got told I looked soft with my long blonde hair loose.. But I think a bun is very professional and always looks better with long hair!

LAG93
September 11th, 2013, 08:52 AM
Everyone has had such good insights here! Thank you all for your opinions. It seems to be common thought that a sleek bun is the most professional for any length! I'm also so happy to hear that all of you have been so successful with your long hair in the professional business world! Congrats to you all and thanks for the advice and insights!:flower:

lunalocks
September 11th, 2013, 12:04 PM
I have my hair up for work. I have to, being in the medical field. Last week, for an informal meeting, I wore it down. I had so many comments and compliments that it made me uncomfortable. I wished I had kept it up. Will do from now on.

Viscountess
September 11th, 2013, 12:14 PM
The only job I see long hair as problematic is that of a police officer or prison guard, and only then for officer safety reasons alone.

My job is very professional. I wear my hair up or down as I choose and I have never had an issue. I work in the criminal justice world, am frequently in court and deal with everyone from judiciary on down.

Alun
September 11th, 2013, 12:22 PM
In an ideal world it wouldn't matter at all what you looked like and once your co-workers and superiors get to know you it usually won't, but unfortunately when people are first getting to know you it might make a difference.

I'm a legal secretary and I also happen to be a goth/metal fan with multiple piercings and tattoos as well as long hair. When I first started at my current job I toned down my usual appearance rather a lot, however now I've got a few years behind me and my bosses know that I'm good at my job I can afford to let a little more of my own personality creep into my work attire. I still look smart but I don't bother to try and hide my tattoos or piercings, or the fact that my dress sense is a little different than most and will occasionally wear my hair down (though to be honest in an office chair it usually gets very annoying after a while and I end up putting it up anyway!)

I work in a law firm, but I'm a patent agent, so not an attorney but not staff either. I wear my hair loose and (obviously) I'm a guy, and my hair is (barely) waist length.

The only male attorney I've known who had 'long' hair had only SL hair, although he wore Hawaian shirts to the office! He was a partner, though, which more or less meant he could get away with anything. I've met a couple of male paralegals with waist length hair, although one of them was the son of one of the partners in that firm, and the other was a very camp gay guy, and incidentally he was black with dreadlocks.

As for women attorneys with long loose hair, it's not even an issue. There aren't that many with really long hair, but nobody seems to mind.

I knew one goth girl attorney. She really toned things down for work, though. The one thing she couldn't easily change, though, was that her hair was dyed blacker than any shade that occurs naturally. She did come to work in a leather jacket, but a brown girly looking one, not black with studs, LOL! I think I would describe her makeup as a bit goth too. I saw her in court one time, and she wore less makeup and no leather in front of the judge. I have seen at least one long(ish) haired male attorney in court too.

I wonder if perhaps there's too much self censorship?

Viscountess
September 11th, 2013, 12:28 PM
I work in a law firm, but I'm a patent agent, so not an attorney but not staff either. I wear my hair loose and (obviously) I'm a guy, and my hair is (barely) waist length.

The only male attorney I've known who had 'long' hair had only SL hair, although he wore Hawaian shirts to the office! He was a partner, though, which more or less meant he could get away with anything. I've met a couple of male paralegals with waist length hair, although one of them was the son of one of the partners in that firm, and the other was a very camp gay guy, and incidentally he was black with dreadlocks.

As for women attorneys with long loose hair, it's not even an issue. There aren't that many with really long hair, but nobody seems to mind.

I knew one goth girl attorney. She really toned things down for work, though. The one thing she couldn't easily change, though, was that her hair was dyed blacker than any shade that occurs naturally. She did come to work in a leather jacket, but a brown girly looking one, not black with studs, LOL! I think I would describe her makeup as a bit goth too. I saw her in court one time, and she wore less makeup and no leather in front of the judge. I have seen at least one long(ish) haired male attorney in court too.

I wonder if perhaps there's too much self censorship? Alun, I could not agree more! Too much self censorship!

Granted, at certain level our courts we are gowned so that removes some clothing issues but I've never seen anyone look twice at long haired female lawyers, or long haired male lawyers. Funny story - one locally infamous female Judge asked the lady Crown to take her hair down from its updo as it 'bothered' her. Crown counsel removed the rubber band, shook her hair out and kept going with her submissions without missing a beat.

So - in the legal world, yes to long hair!

gingerclip
September 11th, 2013, 03:06 PM
So - in the legal world, yes to long hair!

I think that this varies greatly depending on your job in the legal field and where you live.

I am an attorney and I have worked at several different law firms. Plus almost all my friends are lawyers - at large firms, small firms, solo practitioners, prosecutors, and judicial clerks. Plus I live in Texas, where it is the norm for women to have BSL hair. I can tell you that everyone I know agrees that anything longer than APL (or maybe an inch or two longer) should be kept up, otherwise it is considered unprofessional or juvenile.

In my career, I've only ever seen one partner with hair longer than mine - it was almost WL - and no one would ever say anything to her because she's a Big Deal, but it was definitely noticed and unusual that she wore it down. It seems that once you want to be taken seriously, you need to put it up or chop it off. That's just my experience.

Viscountess
September 11th, 2013, 04:37 PM
Wow, the hair thing in the legal world must be American for sure. We have long hair lawyers, of both genders!

ChristineB
September 11th, 2013, 04:41 PM
I have never had problems with them. So long as the hair is tied back, looks clean, and is kept...you won't get bothered about it.

Saldana
September 11th, 2013, 05:24 PM
My hair is too short right now to wear up, but when it was TBL, I almost always wore it up. Then (as now), I was the executive asst to a high-visibility manager. No one ever said anything bad when I wore my hair down, but my sense was that it was much more professional appearing when I wore it up (which I almost always did). In addition, wearing it down felt good, but I always ended up putting it back up because it got in my way. I've almost gotten it to stay neatly in a half-up now...and as soon as it's long enough to put completely up....up it goes, at least when I am at work.

Leeloo
September 11th, 2013, 05:38 PM
Hello everyone!

I started this thread because I could not find any related to this question...Is it acceptable for a professional businesswoman (manager, CEO, accountant, marketing executive, or any executive type position) to have long hair? Not BSL long, but like TB or Classic length?

Some background information on myself:
I'm 19, currently going to university, most likely majoring in marketing and management, and I would like an executive position at a big corporate business.
I have been growing my hair from SL for 2 1/2 years. It is now WAIST! (yay :D)
But I would like to continue to grow my hair possibly to tailbone. However, since I am a sophomore in college, and I wish to have a professional, office type of job, I am wondering if it may be inappropriate to have such long hair? (Along with many of my other current habits, like not wearing a bra, fashionably sexy clothes)
I want to be highly respected and taken seriously. I also want really long hair, can the two go together? And if so are there certain styles that may be more suitable than others?
I like to wear my hair down, or half up, and with long hair that may not be the most professional style...

I'd love to hear you ladies' opinions on this topic! Also I mean no offense to anyone by asking this question. It's just a curiosity of mine!

I don’t see what length of your hair have to do with looking appropriate at the job. I think you can make any hair length look appropriate. You’ll have to look appropriate as in cover up your body so not to be offensive to others though.

RavennaNight
September 11th, 2013, 06:42 PM
I manage in corporate retail and I have yet to be told anything about my hair length or how I style my hair. It's mostly in a bun with a nice hair stick 90% of the time. My hair is tailbone length, and the staff actually wants me to put my hair down because they think (jokingly) it will bring in the customers.
I think it's how you carry it. Are you confident enough to sport the hair? It shouldn't be an issue as long as it is neat and well maintained. And if you think length will really be an issue, bun it.

As an aside, I have read many threads and posts on this site in the past about professionalism and hair. I have yet to encounter a negative comment about my hair in the workplace. Ever. Meaning, a comment by someone higher up that can weigh influence over my progress and position. This is from a retailer who is very conservative about appearance stuff like tattoos and piercings. So, I think it also depends somewhat on the business.

littlemonster
September 11th, 2013, 06:42 PM
Learning to wear a bra will matter more to you than hair (Tip: buy a good brand, it'll just save you so much money and hassle long term) - these things like ahh bras which are basically modern versions of the crop tops we wore as pre-teens may be enough though.

If anything I'd say long hair would be an advantage. Your average above shoulder length hair female often straightens her hair, has a style that needs restyling carefully, can often be easily messed up and any grease shows. If you're APL-BSL+ you can shove it up in any matter of buns and twists that look professional. In fact, it can look neater as it's totally out of the way. You also have the option to change your look more to match your clients. Those neat, no clips showing twists always look amazing to me.

Viscountess
September 11th, 2013, 06:56 PM
In all honesty, your professionalism, or lack thereof will not be dependant on your hair. It will be on you and only you. Get that professional degree, be honest, work hard, stay true to yourself and define success on your own terms.

velorutionista
September 11th, 2013, 09:16 PM
I work for a large publishing company managing a small team--I've not got super long hair (yet!), just APLish, but I'd agree with others...as long as your hair is not distractingly unkempt or underfoot, it shouldn't matter how you wear it. But it definitely depends on the office--you just have to use your best judgement!

spirals
September 12th, 2013, 12:26 AM
I think anything that marks you as female in conservative fields (in the US) is going to be suspect. That includes long hair, which is tradtionally considered feminine. The reason? We're still suffering the fallout of women entering the workplace. There is still subtle sexism out there. I work retail; no one cares about my hair unless it's a safety hazard. If I worked within the legal system or corporate business or some areas of the medical profession, my hair would be up every day in some kind of bun with conservative, neutrally-colored clips or hidden pins.

gossamer
September 12th, 2013, 07:52 AM
I study/work at a major university and the last time I wore my hair down - well, in a half up - was in March 2009. After the head of my department, a professor who's kind of a sleeze anyway, stopped whatever he was doing to gush over it, I decided it was probably more important to keep my hair contained. The length of my unbunned braid also made it into a student evaluation - which may follow me for the rest of my career - and so that's now a hairstyle I avoid too. In my field, I don't want my appearance to be the focus of people's attention, I want it to be the quality of my work. Long hair seems to be very distracting.

LAG93
September 12th, 2013, 07:53 AM
My hair is reasonably straight, at waist length it has minimal wave, and with more and more length I get that wave gets less and less, I can see myself having stick straight hip length hair, also my hair stays pretty smooth unless it rains or is super hot and humid! I may be able to get away with wearing it down certain times of the year and have it look professional still...we will see!

About the bra thing, I just haven't needed to wear one with my current wardrobe, I plan to change that along with my wardrobe for work! When I was like ten I dreamed about wearing pantsuits and pencil skirts, businessy clothes! A lot of shirts that you wear underneath a suit jacket seem to be silky or white cotton, which would not go well braless...

Any brand suggestions? I have one from Victoria secret called incredible that I like its really comfy but it has too much padding I think for a professional shirt

I think anything that marks you as female in conservative fields (in the US) is going to be suspect. That includes long hair, which is tradtionally considered feminine. The reason? We're still suffering the fallout of women entering the workplace. There is still subtle sexism out there. I work retail; no one cares about my hair unless it's a safety hazard. If I worked within the legal system or corporate business or some areas of the medical profession, my hair would be up every day in some kind of bun with conservative, neutrally-colored clips or hidden pins.

I agree there is still sexism out there and there probably always will be, but maybe by the time I am in the office...three or four years probably, things will only be better in that sense. One can only hope anyways!

LAG93
September 12th, 2013, 07:58 AM
I study/work at a major university and the last time I wore my hair down - well, in a half up - was in March 2009. After the head of my department, a professor who's kind of a sleeze anyway, stopped whatever he was doing to gush over it, I decided it was probably more important to keep my hair contained. The length of my unbunned braid also made it into a student evaluation - which may follow me for the rest of my career - and so that's now a hairstyle I avoid too. In my field, I don't want my appearance to be the focus of people's attention, I want it to be the quality of my work. Long hair seems to be very distracting.

I see what you mean, in middle school I had a teacher who had a braid that was past her butt, it was distracting, although I loved and admired it, i dont rmember anything from that class except for her beautiful hair! She only wore it down maybe twice in that year and I remember one boy made a sleazy comment..a middle school boy!

I worry most about how my future clients and superiors will view me professionally more so than colleagues or direct reports

sourgrl
September 12th, 2013, 08:55 AM
The double standard with long hair in the professional field can be frustrating. My husband and I work in the legal field. Long haired male attorneys are generally accepted more so than long haired women. Tis the way of the "brotherhood" I guess...

gingerclip
September 12th, 2013, 08:59 AM
I think anything that marks you as female in conservative fields (in the US) is going to be suspect. That includes long hair, which is tradtionally considered feminine. The reason? We're still suffering the fallout of women entering the workplace. There is still subtle sexism out there.

Well said!

deja
September 12th, 2013, 10:31 AM
As unfair as it is, the business world is just beginning to accept woman. I wish I could say it didn't matter what your hair looked like, but I suggest keeping it up. I think ponies are fine, though, even if it's long.

spidermom
September 12th, 2013, 10:58 AM
I think that safest is up and out of the way, but once you're hired, you can observe everyone else and get a feel for what is acceptable. The hospital that I work for has a male American Indian doctor who always wears a single tailbone-length braid. I've seen a female doctor with her hip-length hair loose in the cafeteria, but I certainly hope she puts it up on the job because having it down around illnesses and injuries just doesn't seem very sanitary to me. And we have a female accountant with about hip-length hair who always wears it down.

I'm sure you'd never see that in other professional positions, however. You have to go with the flow when it comes to career, I think. Each company can set its own standards.

chen bao jun
September 12th, 2013, 01:00 PM
In my career, I've only ever seen one partner with hair longer than mine - it was almost WL - and no one would ever say anything to her because she's a Big Deal, but it was definitely noticed and unusual that she wore it down. It seems that once you want to be taken seriously, you need to put it up or chop it off. That's just my experience.
Yes, if you want to do what you want--you have to become a 'Big Deal' in some way. Or be very, very needed. (Or own the company).
One problem with being in an entry level job is that you may be pushing the boundaries and no will tell you. They will just let you keep doing it and lose any chance of promotion. So much is unspoken in business.
I have worn my hair how I like to for a long, long, including wearing some very 'out to there' natural hair as a black woman. But I have established myself, I have a very unusual skill base and credentials that would be difficult to find, especially if they wanted someone else black, I have a very lowkey and unconfrontative personality which most people find agreeable (although I can't be pushed) and what shouldn't be important, but probably is, I look so non-ethnic that it's hard to tell I'm black unless I have a very aggressive hairstyle. some of this applies to being a woman who is very feminine (which is how people 'read' long hair) and some does not.
the important thing--if you want to do what you want, make sure you are irreplaceable (or at least, not very easily replaceable. have a strong skill set with something that sets you apart),

donnalouise
September 12th, 2013, 01:08 PM
I've never encountered problems in business because of having long hair, but i do always keep it tied up when working. I did feel pressure to maintain a certain look though when i was working for others, which included hair tied back neatly, smart clothing, etc. Nowadays, i have my own business so i am the boss and get to do whatever i like. I often wear my waist length hair loose for business meetings and get people watching my hair more than my face (which is fine, i'd rather them gawp at my hair than my chest!), but i also do other 'different to norm' things like turn up in casual clothes - for no other reason than just because i can and because they least expect it, catching people off guard is a great way to break the ice and get past 'corporate' boundaries with folk, even if it does make me appear a little eccentric... at least they'll remember me ;).

Panth
September 12th, 2013, 01:16 PM
About the bra thing, I just haven't needed to wear one with my current wardrobe, I plan to change that along with my wardrobe for work! When I was like ten I dreamed about wearing pantsuits and pencil skirts, businessy clothes! A lot of shirts that you wear underneath a suit jacket seem to be silky or white cotton, which would not go well braless...

Any brand suggestions? I have one from Victoria secret called incredible that I like its really comfy but it has too much padding I think for a professional shirt

You need this thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=22292)!

As for the hair, I agree with everyone else - wear it up. Bunned, very plain. Very plain hair toys or invisible ones (e.g. spin pins). Once you get settled wherever you are you can start to look about and see how much everyone else generally gets away with and take cues from there. However, particularly as a junior member of staff, I'd start out very prim, proper, traditional and conservative. Loose, long hair (or even ponytails or plaits past a certain length) can be distracting, attract unwanted comments and (as someone has mentioned) be constituted as "sexy" or "flirting", particularly if you touch it a lot (which, lets face it, with TBL hair you would do a fair bit).

You can't be discriminated against for your super-long hair, or for the femininity many will think it represents, if no one knows that you have super-long hair. (Of course, you're quite probably going to be discriminated against as a woman, though... sad though it is.)

velorutionista
September 12th, 2013, 01:38 PM
Yes, if you want to do what you want--you have to become a 'Big Deal' in some way. Or be very, very needed. (Or own the company).
One problem with being in an entry level job is that you may be pushing the boundaries and no will tell you. They will just let you keep doing it and lose any chance of promotion. So much is unspoken in business.
I have worn my hair how I like to for a long, long, including wearing some very 'out to there' natural hair as a black woman. But I have established myself, I have a very unusual skill base and credentials that would be difficult to find, especially if they wanted someone else black, I have a very lowkey and unconfrontative personality which most people find agreeable (although I can't be pushed) and what shouldn't be important, but probably is, I look so non-ethnic that it's hard to tell I'm black unless I have a very aggressive hairstyle. some of this applies to being a woman who is very feminine (which is how people 'read' long hair) and some does not.
the important thing--if you want to do what you want, make sure you are irreplaceable (or at least, not very easily replaceable. have a strong skill set with something that sets you apart),

(Bolding mine)

This ^ is very good advice!

prettyinpink
September 12th, 2013, 01:41 PM
I used to work as a CNA in a nursing home. My boss would always yell at me and tell me I need to cut my hip length hair (which I kept tied back) Strange, because other CNA's would wear jeans, vampire teeth, too much perfume, but god forbid anyone have long hair!

Vrindi
September 12th, 2013, 01:55 PM
I'd say look for an office that best suits your personality and goals. Then, if that office has a more conservative, traditional vibe, wear it up and keep it neat. Just put it out of the way, and look clean and put-together. Then, focus like mad on your work. Let your work speak for your professionalism.

There are all kinds of companies out there, and all kinds of opportunities for marketing. If you can get work in a marketing dept. now, even a startup company, do it. Your personal style can be whatever you like, but now is a good time to start developing one or more "work styles" as well. Wear them to class to. Not all the time if you don't want to, but often enough so that your professors and classmates know that you have that look and capability. This is a good time to start figuring all that out.

LAG93
September 12th, 2013, 04:22 PM
Your personal style can be whatever you like, but now is a good time to start developing one or more "work styles" as well. Wear them to class to. Not all the time if you don't want to, but often enough so that your professors and classmates know that you have that look and capability. This is a good time to start figuring all that out.

Thank you! I literally never thought of doing this. I planned to go invest in a good pant suit/ pencil skirt and jacket for interviews and things, I'm also thinking about joining a coed business fraternity, I would assume they will dress business casual on a daily basis and more formal for mock interviews and the like. I feel like I will have to buy a whole new wardrobe, and business clothes seem much more expensive than street clothes. Although maybe people have only one outfit for everyday of the week and its okay? I'm used to having one outfit for everyday for like three months so that would be a change

jacqueline101
September 12th, 2013, 04:35 PM
I wore mine up all the time and no one asked me why.

Tapioca
September 15th, 2013, 11:47 AM
I work in a professional accounting department, and I've never gotten anything but compliments on my long hair. When it was hip-length, I'd wear it down, half-up, bun, whatever. Nobody cared.

Kibeth
September 15th, 2013, 08:53 PM
I work in a large insurance company and I have classic length hair. I wear my hair in buns and braids. It's more of a personal choice to wear my hair that way (I use the same styles at home, it keeps my hair out of the way). There's another woman at work who has hip length hair that she always wears down. She doesn't seem to have any issues with it. Personally, I feel that it causes too much of a distraction when I wear mine down. It also gets in my way. In my experience, long hair isn't an issue. It's more of a curiosity.

DreamWalker
September 15th, 2013, 09:23 PM
I work as a music librarian for a symphony orchestra. We musicians are allowed to do crazy things like wear our classic length hair down whenever we want. People in an art-centered profession tend to be able to get away with more unusual choices, like very long hair. But if I were in an office setting, I would wear it up most of the time. A more standard business context would, I imagine, dictate more traditional hairstyles. You could also do some faux-short hairstyles. Those can be fun, and still look very neat and professional.

Nightshade
September 16th, 2013, 01:22 AM
I work in the corporate headquarters of a Fortune 500 company and at least where I am, long hair (past waist) is best kept up. That said, I will occasionally wear mine down on casual Fridays/Friday before a holiday weekend and then it's often complimented. I think it's best worn down seldom and up 99% of the time.

Mayihuan
September 16th, 2013, 07:37 AM
Once you get settled wherever you are you can start to look about and see how much everyone else generally gets away with and take cues from there. However, particularly as a junior member of staff, I'd start out very prim, proper, traditional and conservative. Loose, long hair (or even ponytails or plaits past a certain length) can be distracting, attract unwanted comments and (as someone has mentioned) be constituted as "sexy" or "flirting", particularly if you touch it a lot (which, lets face it, with TBL hair you would do a fair bit).This would have been my advice. :)

Of course it's understandable to want to be different, to not want to take the good-boy decision, following the ruleset and so on. But as others have already said here, like it or not, most of the rules are unsaid, and you may not be fired for not conforming to the expected appearance, but you may be simply passed over for promotion.

The tip of getting used to your professional appearance now, as opposed to a 'rough' transition on the first day at work, is excellent, too! :)

LAG93
September 16th, 2013, 09:16 AM
I just went out and got a few business outfits, from White House black market or black house white market...I don't know! And I'm very happy with them, and they are so crisp and well cut that it really looks good with my hair in a bun, or down as long as its first day hair that isn't frizzy, I plan to wear it up until I get the feel for what everyone else is doing!

Mustang Suzy
September 16th, 2013, 09:18 AM
... I feel like I will have to buy a whole new wardrobe, and business clothes seem much more expensive than street clothes.

LAG93 check out this video, it will assist you in building a wardrobe with a few key pieces. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMf3zrAkY3E
Good luck as you transition from student to business professional! :cheer:

blondzai
September 16th, 2013, 09:25 AM
yeah i think around waist you can get away with a ponytail that is sleek and sits at the back crown. down you could wear it in sock curls/waves and i think it will still look professional. once you get to tailbone it might need to go in a bun depending on whether or not you have layers. for some reason the difference between these 2 lengths looks the most drastic, even though i have the same goal as you ^^

longhairedwolf
September 16th, 2013, 11:24 AM
Good for you, LAG 93. When do you start your new job?

Alun
September 16th, 2013, 11:48 PM
I think that this varies greatly depending on your job in the legal field and where you live.

I am an attorney and I have worked at several different law firms. Plus almost all my friends are lawyers - at large firms, small firms, solo practitioners, prosecutors, and judicial clerks. Plus I live in Texas, where it is the norm for women to have BSL hair. I can tell you that everyone I know agrees that anything longer than APL (or maybe an inch or two longer) should be kept up, otherwise it is considered unprofessional or juvenile.

I think that it's very telling that you are in Texas.

At the same time, it's also true that short hair on guys and BSL or shorter on female lawyers is the norm here too. BUT, I think the driving force behind that is that the lawyers themselves feel that their ambition to make partner or WHY is more important to them than self expression. They probably think I'm crazy to even suggest it wouldn't be. When you do come across the occasional lady lawyer who has really long hair and wears it down the negative reactions are notable by their absence. Nobody cares. Well, maybe other women, but not the men who decide whether they make partner, and mostly they are still men I'm afraid. That's why I think it may be down to self censorship. Of course, if you are in corporate law, dealing with big corporations, your firm may be infected with the same attitudes as their clients, LOL!

I'm not sure I can really quite say the same for guys, but even there the prejudice I am most likely to encounter is not against my long hair. Instead I am far more likely to encounter prejudice for being a patent agent and not a patent attorney. In the US we both study for the same registration exam and have the same right to represent clients before the patent office, but the attorney may have done a 4 credit course on IP Law, LOL! (FYI: that's 60 hours) Studying for the exam takes longer than that. I jest, but the ABA syllabus for the JD degree is so sewn up that it's not possible to fit in more than 4 credits. I don't expect to get paid as much as someone who has done a (mostly irrelevant) graduate degree, but attorneys get hired easier. To some extent, firms don't want a cheaper employee, because they are more interested in how much they can bill you out at than in what they have to pay you, which makes financial sense to them, if not to their clients. Attorneys also tend to have misguided ideas about what patent agents can legally do, as ironically none of them seem to have read Sperry v Florida, but should before they open their mouths on the subject.

Apologies for the non-hair related rant!

LAG93
September 17th, 2013, 07:59 AM
yeah i think around waist you can get away with a ponytail that is sleek and sits at the back crown. down you could wear it in sock curls/waves and i think it will still look professional. once you get to tailbone it might need to go in a bun depending on whether or not you have layers. for some reason the difference between these 2 lengths looks the most drastic, even though i have the same goal as you ^^

I agree! I think it is just more common to have waist length hair that its not as noticeably long

LAG93
September 17th, 2013, 08:00 AM
Good for you, LAG 93. When do you start your new job?

Well im still a sophomore at university so i am just starting to think about applying for an internship and hopefully a job could stem from that!

jrmviola
September 17th, 2013, 12:09 PM
About the bra thing, ...

Any brand suggestions? I have one from Victoria secret called incredible that I like its really comfy but it has too much padding I think for a professional shirt...

If you are still worried about the bra thing, if you are going to err on the side of caution, then as long as you cant see the outline of the bra from underneath the clothing i dont think it matters one way or the other what you wear. Victoria's Secret makes a no line bra i think...

alexis917
September 17th, 2013, 01:24 PM
Whether you think it's appropriate or not, I'd wear your hair up.
I figure an office job is a lot of desk work, and you don't want your lovely hair getting tangled in a keyboard, stuck in coffee, etc....
As for bras, I like aerie! Their stuff is on sale most of the time (cheaper than VS).
They have everything from lightly-lined bras (which I love!) to memory lift super-pushups.

LAG93
September 17th, 2013, 01:39 PM
Whether you think it's appropriate or not, I'd wear your hair up.
I figure an office job is a lot of desk work, and you don't want your lovely hair getting tangled in a keyboard, stuck in coffee, etc....
As for bras, I like aerie! Their stuff is on sale most of the time (cheaper than VS).
They have everything from lightly-lined bras (which I love!) to memory lift super-pushups.

Right I didn't even think about the damage I could do sitting down! My hairs at waist so it doesn't get too terribly in the way yet but I can imagine with 10 more inches of hair I'd sit on it and all sorts of terrible things!
And I love aerie underwear! I haven't tried one of their bras yet but I will thank you for the tip!

alexis917
September 17th, 2013, 01:41 PM
Right I didn't even think about the damage I could do sitting down! My hairs at waist so it doesn't get too terribly in the way yet but I can imagine with 10 more inches of hair I'd sit on it and all sorts of terrible things!
And I love aerie underwear! I haven't tried one of their bras yet but I will thank you for the tip!

Welcome!!
The only reason it came to mind was a girl at my school was running an errand for a teacher and had to copy papers.
She got her TB length braid trapped in the machine, somehow!

LAG93
September 17th, 2013, 01:45 PM
Welcome!!
The only reason it came to mind was a girl at my school was running an errand for a teacher and had to copy papers.
She got her TB length braid trapped in the machine, somehow!

Ahhh oh my goodness! That is so scary, I can only imagine there are some terrible horror stories of hair getting caught in scary contraptions :O

Tea Lady
September 17th, 2013, 05:15 PM
I always wear my hair up, but I am a nurse and it is important not to have hair flying around while doing patient care! The only time people realize my hair is super long is when I wear a faux Heidi bun wrapped around my head. I do remember years ago when I worked in the NICU at our hospital (and ironically may be working at again now that the clinic I currently work at in the hospital is closing), one of the nurses had ankle length hair. Once she was ready to go to work, she always had it up in some interesting style or another. But during report she would have it down in all its glory. It was my first encounter with extreme length!

I think one thing to consider is that you may get some unwanted attention, which is one of the last things you need at work. Granted it is on the people bestowing the attention, whether positive or negative, but there it is and your hair is what is the source. I'm not saying it is right, but it can be the nature of people. And you don't want that getting in the way of your career, or having people make judgments about you that might be unfair.

For me, even if I was not concerned about the nursing care aspect or the unwanted attention, the simple fact is that my long hair can get in the way when I am trying to do something else! Especially since I can sit on it now.

Tea Lady