PDA

View Full Version : Ease my fears?

et--cetera
September 10th, 2013, 05:10 PM
Hello,
I want to try a purple shampoo to take some of the gold out of my ash blonde hair, only I'm afraid it might tint the already ash parts purple. If this happens does it fade fairly quickly? I have a job that probably is against it (I haven't actually been given any rules, haha) and if it does happen I'd like to be able to tell my boss it was a surprise to me but it is temporary.

akilina
September 10th, 2013, 05:15 PM
This happens usually when the hair is already basically white to start.

Just use your shampoo. You will blatantly notice if it turns purple. I've only seen it turn super white highlights purple after several weeks of it on porous damaged hair. If it happens, just wash it with something different or maybe use the shampoo only every other wash...i can't really see it just sneaking up on you one day. You'll definitely notice before it even gets bad.

et--cetera
September 10th, 2013, 06:01 PM
This happens usually when the hair is already basically white to start.

Just use your shampoo. You will blatantly notice if it turns purple. I've only seen it turn super white highlights purple after several weeks of it on porous damaged hair. If it happens, just wash it with something different or maybe use the shampoo only every other wash...i can't really see it just sneaking up on you one day. You'll definitely notice before it even gets bad.

Thank you!

Macaroni
September 10th, 2013, 06:10 PM
Try it on a very small strand of hair. If you like the results, do your whole head.

teddygirl
September 10th, 2013, 07:03 PM
My hair has some very blonde areas, that are very damaged/porous and i shampoo twice a week with joico violet shampoo, and havent noticed any purple tinges. I wouldnt worry too much about it, but i wouldnt use it every day or anything!

AnqeIicDemise
September 11th, 2013, 12:47 AM
I recently got travel sized Blondeshell Keratin Complex shampy and conditioner from work. I gave it to my platinum blonde roomie. She'd told me she had accidentally used too much purple shampoo and her hair turned gray. (Well, it'd gone purple and all that washing to make it fade made it gray). She tried the shamppo and condish I gave her and she said she liked it better than the purple shampoo she's accustomed to. Its also paraben, sulfate and chloride free, which was a bonus for her.

ETA: I did see the gray when she pointed it out to me and it was about....a week ago since I last saw her. Her hair is now back to the Christina Aguilera platinum/white. She said she wasn't washing it as frequent though, so I'm sure it would have faded faster.

I guess the key thing is to not OD on the purple shampoo! Use a little bit as it goes a long way.

ps: I've only used it on my ends since I haven't done the red yet and the blonde balayage was starting to turn a little brassy. It is a little less gingery, but again, I'm not terribly blonde.

fairview
September 11th, 2013, 08:23 AM
Just read the label. There are two types of purple shampoo. One is for blondes to take the brass out which is what you want. The other is for enhancing the blue black appearance of black and dark brown hair. It will say not foor use on blonde hair. It will leave a definite purple tone on your hair that will require a lightner soap cap to remove unless you want to live with it for a couple three weeks.

rose313
September 11th, 2013, 01:43 PM
You should be fine to use it. It should not turn you gray or purple, it's not strong enough. Toner on the other hand, will!