PDA

View Full Version : Critique my new hair regimen!!!

goldcopperbrown
September 10th, 2013, 03:26 PM
Okay, so I have a new hair regimen. my original one involved WAY too many oils and my hair just felt lifeless all the time...and didn't even look better at all. I realize I really do need to wash my hair every day...I sweat from my hairline and I am an athlete.

Anyway...

Intense Treatments:
ayurvedic oils overnight (sometimes castor oil on scalp) or several hour oil treatment, about 3x/week (sometimes I'll just wear hair oil for my workouts)
Phyto keratine mask once per 1-2 weeks
Redken diamond oil intense mask once per 1 week

For washing hair:
Condition first with SheaMoisture conditioner, then wash with Redken diamond oil shampoo, then condition again with Redken diamond oil conditioner

For leave-in:
Redken Diamond Oil serum (no silicones- the entire line is cone free, it's basically just oils)

Panth
September 10th, 2013, 04:07 PM
Honestly? It still seems like far, far too much work.

Try something simple - it's much easier to maintain a simple routine long-term and, let's face it, growing long hair is a long-term project! Also, if you have a very simple routine you can then try extra things one by one and have a much better idea of whether or not they are beneficial. Doing 100 things at once means you'll never know which is the culprit if your hair starts to be unhappy.

E.g. I just S&C 2-3 times a week. Detangle with a wide-toothed comb daily. Plait daily. Bun the plait daily. Try to eat fairly well and exercise at least a bit. Very simple - just like the vast majority of the other classic+ individuals here.

IMO, hair is much more about what you don't do to it (i.e. don't damage it with dye, heat, chemical straightening or aggressive manual styling) than what you do to it. Most people here who have complicated routines are either a) newbies who are being over-enthusiastic and think that if something is good then MORE must be better, or b) people who like complicated routines for their own sake as a pampering thing, rather like one would do weekly fancy manicures as a feel-good thing rather for its effects on nail growth. Patience is going to grow you a lot more hair than doing special "intense treatments" 3 times a week.

WilfredAllen
September 10th, 2013, 04:17 PM
If it works for you, then that's all that matters. Everyone's hair is different, so the only way to judge a hair care routine is by whether or not it's working, IMO (: It does seem like a lot of product, but some people's hair does well with lots

You can just wash your hair with water or a vinegar rinse if you don't want to use shampoo/conditioner every single day

spidermom
September 10th, 2013, 04:21 PM
It would be way too much oil for my hair, but if it's just right for you then keep on keeping on and enjoy the results.

My routine (just for comparison)
Coconut oil to length only an hour to a day before washing.
Diluted shampoo wash to scalp, conditioner soak/rinse to length (to condition and remove oil).
My current favorite leave-in (continues silicones and argan oil).

And that's it other than a clarifying wash when my hair gets either tangly and dry or dull and limp followed by a deep conditioning treatment (once every couple of months, give/take a week).

goldcopperbrown
September 10th, 2013, 04:22 PM
Honestly? It still seems like far, far too much work.

Try something simple - it's much easier to maintain a simple routine long-term and, let's face it, growing long hair is a long-term project! Also, if you have a very simple routine you can then try extra things one by one and have a much better idea of whether or not they are beneficial. Doing 100 things at once means you'll never know which is the culprit if your hair starts to be unhappy.

E.g. I just S&C 2-3 times a week. Detangle with a wide-toothed comb daily. Plait daily. Bun the plait daily. Try to eat fairly well and exercise at least a bit. Very simple - just like the vast majority of the other classic+ individuals here.

IMO, hair is much more about what you don't do to it (i.e. don't damage it with dye, heat, chemical straightening or aggressive manual styling) than what you do to it. Most people here who have complicated routines are either a) newbies who are being over-enthusiastic and think that if something is good then MORE must be better, or b) people who like complicated routines for their own sake as a pampering thing, rather like one would do weekly fancy manicures as a feel-good thing rather for its effects on nail growth. Patience is going to grow you a lot more hair than doing special "intense treatments" 3 times a week.

The thing is, my hair really does need to be washed every day in order to be anywhere near presentable, lol. Otherwise I would be fine just leaving it alone and occasionally washing it, but honestly I'd look like Snape if I did that. I don't do much heat styling (okay, maybe the occasional curling iron or hot rollers but RARELY) and I don't dye it...I think for me I like to use all the deep conditioners because I know I'll be washing it every day, and I feel like I need to replenish moisture.

So what I'm saying is, should I actually use less oils/conditioners, if I'm still washing my hair every day? Because I've tried other routes not involving daily washing and they all sucked for me, lol

goldcopperbrown
September 10th, 2013, 04:23 PM
If it works for you, then that's all that matters. Everyone's hair is different, so the only way to judge a hair care routine is by whether or not it's working, IMO (: It does seem like a lot of product, but some people's hair does well with lots

You can just wash your hair with water or a vinegar rinse if you don't want to use shampoo/conditioner every single day

Water would definitely not work for me, but I have heard of the baking powder/vinegar thing...when you do that, do you also need conditioner?

jacqueline101
September 10th, 2013, 04:40 PM
If it works for you continue to do it.

WilfredAllen
September 10th, 2013, 04:57 PM
Water would definitely not work for me, but I have heard of the baking powder/vinegar thing...when you do that, do you also need conditioner?

I think you heard of baking soda ... I haven't yet heard of using baking powder, but baking soda is fairly common. I find baking soda to be very harsh, and also alkaline, so I only use it when I need to clarify, and very, very diluted then

As far as vinegar goes, some people find it to be drying, some people find it to be conditioning. You really have to try it to find out for yourself.

Honestly, if what you have is working, just keep doing it. If you want to use less product you could try diluting what you have... mix up your products with water in old shampoo bottles or travel sized shampoo bottles (from the drugstore) and try different dilutions until you find one that you like, or figure out that diluted products aren't good for you

Keep an eye out for build up, because of all the products, and also possibly protein overload from your keratin treatments (everyone needs different amounts of protein, so no one else can say how much you need)

akilina
September 10th, 2013, 05:10 PM
Honestly? Do what you want. If you try this and it works for you then I'd say you don't really need a green light from anyone but you. There's no way for us to tell if this regimen is going to work for you personally. (:

battles
September 10th, 2013, 05:12 PM
The deep oiling and deep treatments combined with an oil based leave in seems like overkill, especially on fine hair. You could probably reduce the frequency of your treatments, especially when you're using products that heavy.

I agree with Panth, simple is best. :)

goldcopperbrown
September 10th, 2013, 05:13 PM
The deep oiling and deep treatments combined with an oil based leave in seems like overkill, especially on fine hair. You could probably reduce the frequency of your treatments, especially when you're using products that heavy.

I agree with Panth, simple is best. :)

It is a lot for fine hair, but I feel like I need it because I do wash daily? or is washing not that big of a sin?

battles
September 10th, 2013, 05:17 PM
It is a lot for fine hair, but I feel like I need it because I do wash daily? or is washing not that big of a sin?

A lot of people choose to stretch washes because it works for their hair, but only you can decide what works for yours. Luckily you can always tweak what you're doing along the way.

I tend to wash every day or every other day, and I just stick to sulfate free shampoo and silicone/protein free conditioner. It works for me, but what works for you may be entirely different.

goldcopperbrown
September 10th, 2013, 05:22 PM
A lot of people choose to stretch washes because it works for their hair, but only you can decide what works for yours. Luckily you can always tweak what you're doing along the way.

I tend to wash every day or every other day, and I just stick to sulfate free shampoo and silicone/protein free conditioner. It works for me, but what works for you may be entirely different.

Well Redken Diamond Oil does have sulfates but I do dilute it...and then sometimes I use a sulfate free shampoo. And OH NO don't get me started on silicones. I hate them! I went so many years without realizing how much my hair did not like them.

jeanniet
September 10th, 2013, 05:31 PM
I agree it would be far too much work for me. I just don't like doing DTs, at least not that often. Personally I would see if I could get away with CO every other day, or if you have to shampoo dilute it heavily. Usually you can use a lot less than you think you need. Then use a good conditioner, rinse it lightly so some stays in, and then use a bit of oil to seal.

spidermom
September 10th, 2013, 05:37 PM
It seems a kind of catch-22. You're using oils and deep treatments because you wash your hair often, and you certainly need to wash your hair more often when you're using oils and deep treatments. Maybe don't use oil after washing and try an every-other-day washing with diluted shampoo schedule instead, with oil applied at least an hour before washing.

evb
September 10th, 2013, 05:57 PM
my routine is vastly different than yours.... I wash my hair sometime in the 2nd week. I used to wash every 2 or 3 days and slowly stretched that out. I can go 14 days before I start feeling like it is getting greasy near scalp. I use bar shampoo and ACV rinse. Sometimes I do and sometimes I do not oil the length {ears down} prior to washing. Sometimes I do and sometimes I do not add some sort of oil on the length {ears down} post washing. The pre washing can be anything from coconut oil to ojon. The post can be a leave in conditioner, coconut oil, ojon, nightbloomings shea based conditioner, or diamond oil. Or even a silicone based scented hair gloss.

When I started on here I used my usual shampoo and conditioner and did the CWC method. I have, over the decades, done all of the above either alone or in tandem. I have had hair past my waist before so shrugs. My biggest change since joining the forum has been prolonging the hair washing. I just waited until my scalp felt scritchy and the time that took slowly extended over the years. My hair is beyond waist at the moment and I think at high hip. The longer my hair has gotten the more I appreciate having stretched out my washings. I have degenerative spine disease and the weight of it when wet, keeping my arms up to lather my scalp, and all the other things that go with washing border on painful. You may want to consider simplifying your routine instead of adding more and more since when your hair gets to your goal length, and that goal length becomes longer due to great heads of hair on here, it will require more time to do any of those things.

Benign Neglect can be a good thing. Of course if you find your hair loves oiling keep doing so but perhaps consider doing it less frequently. Far be it for me to say don't condition your hair.

Anje
September 10th, 2013, 07:35 PM
Do what sounds good to you. If it's not working, tell us why is not working and we'll suggest changes. But it's not like we can say, "you're applying about 4 teaspoons of oil to your hair per week, and hair is always best when you apply exactly 2.5 teaspoons of oil per foot per 11 day period."

Try it out, adapt as needed.

Panth
September 11th, 2013, 01:34 AM

IMO, if you're washing gently then washing daily is fine for most people at most lengths. Or, you could wash super-gently (e.g. WO or heavily diluted shampoo) on most days and then do more cleansing washes (e.g. undiluted shampoo) once or twice a week.

All the deep treatments etc. are not just intended to make up for washing damage, but also for all other damage (e.g. from manual handling) and the damage that just naturally occurs from the hair aging. You're only increasing one part of that damage (washing) but not the rest, so you shouldn't really need to increase your product/leave-in/deep-treatment/etc. usage proportionally to your washing. Not only are you likely to cause build up, but the physical act of putting in each treatment is going to cause a small amount of mechanical wear, particularly if you massage it in. So, less really is more.

I think you've summed up your problem with your language - no, washing daily is not a sin. Nothing is. Basically, LHC encompasses a wide range of hairtypes in a wide range of environments/climates with a wide range of previous damage and a wide range of growing aims. Thus, the advice tends towards massive overkill, because some things are fine for some people/hair/routines/climates/lengths and really problematic for others. So, you get warned off anything that has ever caused problems in anyone.

No one can tell you what is going to be best for your hair and routine. Only trial and error will do that. It may be that your hair tolerates daily washing very well. It may be that your hair hates that. No one can tell you.

However, what we can say is this:
- simple routines are easier to maintain long-term, and growing hair is a long-term thing
- simple routines with extra things added one by one make it easier to tell if those extra things are beneficial or detrimental
- on the hypothetical average person the routine you suggest sounds like overkill with too much deep treatments which are liable to risk build-up

A final thing: how much damage you can tolerate will also vary wildly depending on your length goal. If daily washing causes your hair to become damaged after 6 years of that routine (e.g. hair 6 years old or older, treated with that routine, will split enough to loose all growth) and you grow 0.5" a month and your goal is 20" ... well, you're never, ever going to see that problem (3 yrs = 0.5" x 12 mo x 3 = 36" hair, so you'll trim those ends before you ever see a hint of a problem). This is why bleaching and straightening are deemed particularly "sinful" - because they cause damage that builds up to a visible/problem-causing level before about waist on most hair types, and most people here are growing to at least waist. In contrast, daily washing (if done gently, with good product choice) might cause damage that gets to a visible/problem-causing level by (I guess) classic or longer - not really a problem for most people.

koko
September 11th, 2013, 03:32 AM
It looks like too much work. I would do less oil if I were you.

sarahthegemini
September 11th, 2013, 04:05 AM
That sounds like a very complicated routine! Which might be hard to maintain. Could you try to find parts that you can simplify? I had a complicated routine when I was washing daily and honestly it felt like such a chore after a while. I started to resent my hair! :p I think simple routines are better, less hassle, easy to maintain and you can gradually add new treatments if needed and you can see more clearly what works and what doesn't. If you're happy washing daily, then don't worry! It's not the end of the world!

lunalesca
September 11th, 2013, 04:24 AM
My hair is also 1b and very fine, and such a routine would be the absolute overkill!!

Maybe you could reduce the deep treatments to one protein treatment every 2 weeks, and use oil as leave-in only - just 2 drops every 2 or 3 days.
Also, try to use conditioner just immediately BEFORE shampoo only (kind of CW wash, haha), my hair really likes it. Ohterwise, it would soon feel coated and look greasy.

Do you blow-dry? If not, washing every day should not be a big problem. I know some 1b ladies that wash every day, or every 2nd, and still have beautiful healthy hair! :flowers:

aksown
September 11th, 2013, 01:41 PM
Because this is a new routine I would suggest only washing and conditioning for awhile. If you find that your hair is dry, add the leave-in. If it's still not right, add in one oil/DT at a time so you know exactly what works and what doesn't. It could be that something in the middle of your routine is throwing everything else off and you'd not be able to find the culprit unless you stopped everything and added them back in one at a time anyway.

goldcopperbrown
September 11th, 2013, 02:11 PM
I agree it would be far too much work for me. I just don't like doing DTs, at least not that often. Personally I would see if I could get away with CO every other day, or if you have to shampoo dilute it heavily. Usually you can use a lot less than you think you need. Then use a good conditioner, rinse it lightly so some stays in, and then use a bit of oil to seal.

One of the reasons for the DTs is that I used to dye my hair a lot (2 years ago) so I probably still have some damage. It isn't visible, but I really want to pamper my ends. Do you think this isn't necessary?

goldcopperbrown
September 11th, 2013, 02:13 PM
My hair is also 1b and very fine, and such a routine would be the absolute overkill!!

Maybe you could reduce the deep treatments to one protein treatment every 2 weeks, and use oil as leave-in only - just 2 drops every 2 or 3 days.
Also, try to use conditioner just immediately BEFORE shampoo only (kind of CW wash, haha), my hair really likes it. Ohterwise, it would soon feel coated and look greasy.

Do you blow-dry? If not, washing every day should not be a big problem. I know some 1b ladies that wash every day, or every 2nd, and still have beautiful healthy hair! :flowers:

Whew, good to know! I USED to have super-long, gorgeous waist-long hair but it was so long ago that I forgot what I did! I know I didn't do much, but then again, I hadn't ever dyed it so I had less damage (I dyed my hair for the last time 2 years ago but I probably still have damage).

I think I washed it every day, and it looked good, but honestly I'm not sure if I skipped a wash here and there.

goldcopperbrown
September 11th, 2013, 02:16 PM
IMO, if you're washing gently then washing daily is fine for most people at most lengths. Or, you could wash super-gently (e.g. WO or heavily diluted shampoo) on most days and then do more cleansing washes (e.g. undiluted shampoo) once or twice a week.

All the deep treatments etc. are not just intended to make up for washing damage, but also for all other damage (e.g. from manual handling) and the damage that just naturally occurs from the hair aging. You're only increasing one part of that damage (washing) but not the rest, so you shouldn't really need to increase your product/leave-in/deep-treatment/etc. usage proportionally to your washing. Not only are you likely to cause build up, but the physical act of putting in each treatment is going to cause a small amount of mechanical wear, particularly if you massage it in. So, less really is more.

I think you've summed up your problem with your language - no, washing daily is not a sin. Nothing is. Basically, LHC encompasses a wide range of hairtypes in a wide range of environments/climates with a wide range of previous damage and a wide range of growing aims. Thus, the advice tends towards massive overkill, because some things are fine for some people/hair/routines/climates/lengths and really problematic for others. So, you get warned off anything that has ever caused problems in anyone.

No one can tell you what is going to be best for your hair and routine. Only trial and error will do that. It may be that your hair tolerates daily washing very well. It may be that your hair hates that. No one can tell you.

However, what we can say is this:
- simple routines are easier to maintain long-term, and growing hair is a long-term thing
- simple routines with extra things added one by one make it easier to tell if those extra things are beneficial or detrimental
- on the hypothetical average person the routine you suggest sounds like overkill with too much deep treatments which are liable to risk build-up

A final thing: how much damage you can tolerate will also vary wildly depending on your length goal. If daily washing causes your hair to become damaged after 6 years of that routine (e.g. hair 6 years old or older, treated with that routine, will split enough to loose all growth) and you grow 0.5" a month and your goal is 20" ... well, you're never, ever going to see that problem (3 yrs = 0.5" x 12 mo x 3 = 36" hair, so you'll trim those ends before you ever see a hint of a problem). This is why bleaching and straightening are deemed particularly "sinful" - because they cause damage that builds up to a visible/problem-causing level before about waist on most hair types, and most people here are growing to at least waist. In contrast, daily washing (if done gently, with good product choice) might cause damage that gets to a visible/problem-causing level by (I guess) classic or longer - not really a problem for most people.

This is very interesting, I think I'm so worried about damage because my hair was in such bad condition for years- but I was also dying it EVERY WEEK! Sometimes, more often. Going 5 weeks without dying it as like a huge deal for me back then.

Leeloo
September 11th, 2013, 02:36 PM
Okay, so I have a new hair regimen. my original one involved WAY too many oils and my hair just felt lifeless all the time...and didn't even look better at all. I realize I really do need to wash my hair every day...I sweat from my hairline and I am an athlete.

Anyway...

Intense Treatments:
ayurvedic oils overnight (sometimes castor oil on scalp) or several hour oil treatment, about 3x/week (sometimes I'll just wear hair oil for my workouts)

For washing hair:
Condition first with SheaMoisture conditioner, then wash with Redken diamond oil shampoo, then condition again with Redken diamond oil conditioner

For leave-in:
Redken Diamond Oil serum (no silicones- the entire line is cone free, it's basically just oils)

I would just recommend to clarify once in a while if you feel your hair is getting coated because of all the masks and conditioners that you use (they might build up)

Barnet Girl
September 11th, 2013, 03:20 PM
Here's my 2p's worth: I used to be a total salon product junkie before joining LHC. One of the biggest discoveries for me was that more expensive products really don't mean better hair care. I was so conditioned (if you'll pardon the pun) into believing that. My hair budget is now a tiny fraction of what it was and the hundreds of bottles that jostled for attention in my bathroom have now been reduced to a tub of coconut oil for prewash, shikakai powder wash and argan oil for post wash oiling. That's it. The condition is hugely better than it ever was on salon products. I guess all I'm saying is that simple and cheap has worked pretty darn good for me and may be worth a try!

Panth
September 11th, 2013, 03:25 PM
This is very interesting, I think I'm so worried about damage because my hair was in such bad condition for years- but I was also dying it EVERY WEEK! Sometimes, more often. Going 5 weeks without dying it as like a huge deal for me back then.

Basically, you are going to need to pamper any hair that is still damaged. You need to worry somewhat less about fresh growth (depending on your hair type, of course), though gentle washing and handling is still a good idea. No one is saying that deep treatments are not a good idea, what we are saying is you're just doing too much.

Here let me summate:

Intense Treatments:

For washing hair:

For leave-in:

That is:
3 heavy oil treatments PER WEEK
AND a mask (heavy treatment) EVERY WEEK OR FORTNIGHT
AND another mask (heavy treatment) EVERY WEEK
AND two conditioners DAILY
AND serum DAILY

So, on a monthly basis you are planning on doing 18-20 heavy treatments (heavy oiling or masks) AND 60 light conditionings (with your washes) AND 30 serum (leave-in) treatments. This is to counter-act the effect of 30 washes. Can you not see that that might be a bit overkill?

ExpectoPatronum
September 11th, 2013, 03:42 PM
I think you would be alright with doing one deep treatment per week, maybe two max.

Honestly, with hair care, I'm discovering that less is definitely more. The less stuff you coat your hair in, the more it's going to shine on its own. For example, my entire current hair care routine involves just three products. My sulfate free shampoo, conditioner, baby oil (works really well at calming my frizz down and it eliminated my velcro ends), and the oil I use for my once a week oil treatment. My hair has never looked or felt better, even when I was doing constant pre-oiling before my shower and conditioning treatments and rinses. Seriously...I was probably doing something every other day and my hair received no benefit from it.

For the record, I wash my hair every other day so washing your hair often isn't bad for it at all. It all depends on what your hair and what your scalp likes.

But, if this routine works for you, go for it! It does seem like a lot of work though. I find routines are easier to stick to for the long term if they're short and easy.

Using the products you have, I would do the following:
One Keratine mask every other week.
One deep conditioning treatment every other week.

CWC every other wash.

I think you're fine with your leave-in.

goldcopperbrown
September 11th, 2013, 04:08 PM
Here's my 2p's worth: I used to be a total salon product junkie before joining LHC. One of the biggest discoveries for me was that more expensive products really don't mean better hair care. I was so conditioned (if you'll pardon the pun) into believing that. My hair budget is now a tiny fraction of what it was and the hundreds of bottles that jostled for attention in my bathroom have now been reduced to a tub of coconut oil for prewash, shikakai powder wash and argan oil for post wash oiling. That's it. The condition is hugely better than it ever was on salon products. I guess all I'm saying is that simple and cheap has worked pretty darn good for me and may be worth a try!

I'm normally not a fan of high end salon products...in fact I don't even normally like Redken products. I only like this one because it's silicone free and so moisturizing. I got some kerastase mask a while ago and found it SO disappointing!

goldcopperbrown
September 11th, 2013, 04:09 PM
I think you would be alright with doing one deep treatment per week, maybe two max.

Honestly, with hair care, I'm discovering that less is definitely more. The less stuff you coat your hair in, the more it's going to shine on its own. For example, my entire current hair care routine involves just three products. My sulfate free shampoo, conditioner, baby oil (works really well at calming my frizz down and it eliminated my velcro ends), and the oil I use for my once a week oil treatment. My hair has never looked or felt better, even when I was doing constant pre-oiling before my shower and conditioning treatments and rinses. Seriously...I was probably doing something every other day and my hair received no benefit from it.

For the record, I wash my hair every other day so washing your hair often isn't bad for it at all. It all depends on what your hair and what your scalp likes.

But, if this routine works for you, go for it! It does seem like a lot of work though. I find routines are easier to stick to for the long term if they're short and easy.

Using the products you have, I would do the following:
One Keratine mask every other week.
One deep conditioning treatment every other week.

CWC every other wash.

I think you're fine with your leave-in.

Hm cool! As I said, I used to have really long hair and I did almost nothing to it, but one reason I pamper it so much now is that it probably has some invisible damage from prior dye jobs.

goldcopperbrown
September 11th, 2013, 04:10 PM
Basically, you are going to need to pamper any hair that is still damaged. You need to worry somewhat less about fresh growth (depending on your hair type, of course), though gentle washing and handling is still a good idea. No one is saying that deep treatments are not a good idea, what we are saying is you're just doing too much.

Here let me summate:

That is:
3 heavy oil treatments PER WEEK
AND a mask (heavy treatment) EVERY WEEK OR FORTNIGHT
AND another mask (heavy treatment) EVERY WEEK
AND two conditioners DAILY
AND serum DAILY

So, on a monthly basis you are planning on doing 18-20 heavy treatments (heavy oiling or masks) AND 60 light conditionings (with your washes) AND 30 serum (leave-in) treatments. This is to counter-act the effect of 30 washes. Can you not see that that might be a bit overkill?

LOL. Can't argue with math! I see your point. That is a bit much...

Firefox7275
September 11th, 2013, 06:47 PM
The thing is, my hair really does need to be washed every day in order to be anywhere near presentable, lol. Otherwise I would be fine just leaving it alone and occasionally washing it, but honestly I'd look like Snape if I did that. I don't do much heat styling (okay, maybe the occasional curling iron or hot rollers but RARELY) and I don't dye it...I think for me I like to use all the deep conditioners because I know I'll be washing it every day, and I feel like I need to replenish moisture.

So what I'm saying is, should I actually use less oils/conditioners, if I'm still washing my hair every day? Because I've tried other routes not involving daily washing and they all sucked for me, lol

Moisture = water: your hair is getting 'moisturised' (soaked) every time you wash regardless of what products you use. Your routine still seems very oil/ butter heavy which don't moisturise they are occlusives/ anti humectants/ sealants. For dye damage proven beneficial ingredients include coconut oil, hydrolysed proteins, ceramides, 18-MEA and panthenol.

Consider working with your hair properties and wave pattern when choose products, ingredients and techniques, maybe that is why you need to wash daily. The more waxy and buttery build up you have the more lank/ frizzy or otherwise unattractive your hair can look.Wetting and soaking are damaging to hair, sulphates are damaging to both skin and hair, the longer the hair spends wet the more vulnerable it is.

Most deep treatments do very little other than coat the surface of the hair: that Redken is laden with waxes that can build up (cetyl esters, candellila) and non penetrating sunflower oil. Overall looking at the largely basic/ cheap ingredients that Redken line is a massive rip off! Shea butter can easily build up and again does not penetrate. Fine hair tends to do well with lighter leave in conditioners and regular hydrolysed protein.

jeanniet
September 11th, 2013, 09:21 PM
I try to focus more on conditioning/moisture/protein (depending on what's needed) on a wash-to-wash basis rather than doing much in the way of DTs. This is mostly because I'm busy and can't remember to do treatments, so it has to happen when I'm washing. If I feel like I need a little more conditioning in between, I just use a bit of leave in. I don't use a whole lot of oil except for a bit of shine and smoothness. I'd say my hair is in very good condition as it is, without the treatments.

animetor7
September 12th, 2013, 12:09 AM
Hey look we appear to be hair twins, or nearly so at any rate! In any case your routine as everyone else has said does seem to be awfully complicated and expensive! As a fine hair I do understand the concern with lank and/or greasy hair, however it is possible to stretch washes some even as a fine hair. One thing that helps a lot with this is dry shampoo. Now you have to be careful with store bought dry shampoos, but there are many good recipes for natural and home made recipes. I like to use cornstarch with a few drops rosemary and lavender and sometimes tea tree EO in it and I only use a bit at the roots where it is greasy. This can really help make your "dirty" day or two look a lot better. As for your ends, just baby them as much as possible but know that to have the most healthy hair you can the dye damage will eventually need to be cut out. My exact routine can be found in my profile, however a general outline is this, CO wash at least every other wash with a cheap and light conditioner, then on more cleansing washes either a shampoo bar followed by ACV or a sulfate free shampoo, with a clarifying wash thrown in about every three months. I sometimes let my hair soak in coconut oil and sometimes do some sort of leave in but that depends on my mood and how my hair is feeling. So in summation, it is possible to stretch washes as a fine hair, and simple routines are usually easiest.