PDA

View Full Version : Should I start from scratch...again?!

Lachrymosa
September 10th, 2013, 02:09 PM
Hello ladies, its been quite a while since I've posted looking for advice...probably almost a year. At that time I cut my hair to about chin length to get rid of color damaged hair, and I started henndigoing to cover my grey which I wasn't ready to rock at 36.

Well, after a year(ish) my hair BSL and I'm just not happy with it at all. I haven't allowed a flat iron to touch my hair (it was a must in the past) but I have gone back to almost daily blow drying because my hair looks so horrible if I don't. I think part of the problem is that my wurly hair changed once I started using the henndigo...I can't get it really curl at all anymore and it just air dries so weird, no matter what I've tried. :( And I'm just sick of the henndigo process now, its a pain to do, I shed a TON with each application, the indigo only seems to stick for about a week before it fades and I'm left with orangey hair, especially in my grey areas, and unlike others who seem to get a wonderful conditioning from the henna, it often makes me feel like when I've over proteined my hair (and did I mention my wurls disappeared?!)

So...I'm actually contemplating cutting it all into a short pixie and regrowing again, this time without the henndigo. I have reservations because I hate even chin length hair on me and I'm sure a pixie will look even worse, I'm scared of the growing out phase, and I'm still left with the dilemma of how to cover my gray without damaging my hair. :( However, I see no other option since it appears henndigo can't be bleached out. Do I just bite the bullet, do the pixie, and get it over with...?

Panth
September 10th, 2013, 02:45 PM
I guess the question is two-fold: 1) do you plan to continue to colour your hair in some way? and 2) if yes/no, could you put up with the difference in colour, texture and general behaviour between your current hair and your re-growth?

I suspect the answer to the latter question will have a lot to do with whether you dye the new growth to something close to the henndigo or not, as harsh colour demarcation lines appear to be one of the major reasons for people to chop, as opposed to demarkation lines in texture or quality.

For damage-free or minimal-damage colouring you could try deposit-only dyes (e.g. manic panic). Yes, they're mostly in crazy colours but there are some more natural colours available there and you can blend all of the colours to get a custom colour if you desire. The main advantage is that they're basically damage-free if you don't bleach first and they can colour greys quite well. Main disadvantage is the lack of natural shades without blending and the fact that they don't last very long (though you may find this useful).

Alternatively, you could consider a SEMI-permanent dye. Unlike demi-permanent and permanent dyes, this won't contain developer (aka bleach) and therefore will be a lot less damaging. However, it would likely be longer-lasting than a deposit-only dye and they come in a greater range of 'natural' colours (though less crazy colours). I'm not sure how well those cover greys.

massivecnqstdr
September 10th, 2013, 02:56 PM
Maybe you could cut to shoulder length or so and phase the henndigo out gradually.. like more and more diluted mixes. Then you could decide what to do with it color-wise at a later time. I feel like you already know you don't like super short hair on yourself, so why go there?

Panth
September 10th, 2013, 04:11 PM
Maybe you could cut to shoulder length or so and phase the henndigo out gradually.. like more and more diluted mixes. Then you could decide what to do with it color-wise at a later time. I feel like you already know you don't like super short hair on yourself, so why go there?

(Bearing in mind I know nothing about henna...) This sounds like a super suggestion! You could also perhaps dilute the henndigo out with increasing proportions of cassia, to retain the strengthening properties while diluting out the colouring properties.

lapushka
September 10th, 2013, 04:12 PM
You could switch to a semi-permanent hair color, no problem. That would solve the gray issue. And then it's just a slow process of growing the henndigo out, I guess.

jacqueline101
September 10th, 2013, 04:38 PM
I'd try to remove the color gradually so you don't ruin your hair. Maybe a rinse for the gray hairs.

et--cetera
September 10th, 2013, 05:21 PM
As someone who just debated over this, I cut to shoulder because short hair would have looked awful and I didn't want to deal with the growing out phases. i had bleached my hair and have a very hard natural color to match (apparently) and so my hair dresser got as close as possible and salvaged to healthier parts of my hair. It could be the dye in the indigo has pulled out your wurls because it is made of heavy molecules. But, if you only cut to shoulder you could grow it out, keep is a reasonable length, and phase out the indigo.

Coolcombination
September 10th, 2013, 05:26 PM
If I was you I would make more dilute mixes and chop to shoulder

jeanniet
September 10th, 2013, 05:28 PM
I'd go the semi-permanent route. You won't have to lose length and your grays will be covered while you grow out your hendigo. This is what I did until I decided to bag it altogether and just grow it out.

spidermom
September 10th, 2013, 05:33 PM
If it were me, I'd go with the semi-permanent color. No use chopping shorter than absolutely necessary when long hair is what you like.

Lachrymosa
September 10th, 2013, 08:13 PM
Thanks for all the replies and advice ladies! You guys at least convinced me not to cut, since I was just at a point where I was ready to just make the appointment and chop. I really needed to be talked down from that!

One thing I absolutely hate is obvious demarcation, which is why I didn't even want to attempt the growing out process. I'd forgotten about dyes like manic panic...I actually have a tub of vampire red on hand from last year, when I was toying with the idea of trying henna. Maybe I could try that on for size and if I like the result, slowly grow out the henndigo that way. And if I hate it at least if won't be permanent.

fairview
September 11th, 2013, 08:41 AM
Before cutting I would suggest using a good clarifying shampoo and then do a few test strands for color. What little I know about henna is that you can go darker but it can not be lifted to a lighter color. Also it is my understanding that the hair may take color differently and it may appear blotchy particularly with any deposit only colors.

I would suggest trying a permanent color that is only slightly darker than what you currently have. If it works on the test strands and you like it then it is pretty much a safe bet those results will be dependable for a full application. Permanent color can be damaging if applied time after time incorrectly. During touch ups only the new growth is colored. Color is never pulled through mid shaft to ends and left to process for the entire time every time. During the last ten minutes the remaining color is diluted with about 40% clear shampoo and this is pulled through mid shaft to ends. This essentially makes it a demi color and it will fade over the next six weeks which is when you will need another touch up on the new growth.

Any permanent color can be converted to a demi color or semi permanent color by diluting the developer to 9 volume or 5 volume respectively.

If you have already made the decision to cut your hair then you can experiment with color but one of the best ways to make the decision is to apply a color to your hair without doing a test strand(s) first. The result may be exponentially less acceptable than the current appearance and give you no financially acceptable options

Anje
September 11th, 2013, 10:32 AM
I just want to add that it sounds like your hair's gotten really dried out from all the henndigo, and that's probably a lot of what's affecting your curls. If I were you, I'd clarify, then dig out the makings for an SMT and do several moisture treatments over a couple days. That's usually enough for me to really knock out any serious dryness/protein overload trouble, and for curly hair it'll probably really help reestablish your curl pattern.

Leeloo
September 11th, 2013, 05:14 PM
I agree with suggestions for semi-permanent colour and a trim. No need to cut it all off. And lots of moisture treatments for the curls.

Lachrymosa
September 13th, 2013, 09:12 PM
Well, I did do a test strand of Vampire Red manic panic and I actually quite like the color on me, as does my husband. Still waiting to see how well it stays in my hair or if it'll wash out super quick and not make it worth the trouble. It definitely feels better on my hair than henndigo does.

I still may go the semipermanent route if need be, but I really wanted to give a deposit only dye a try first. If only manic panic came in brown lol!

I also wanted to thank you ladies who mentioned doing a few SMTs. I honestly didn't think about the possibility of my hair being dried out from the henna...I'd thought it was supposed to be moisturizing for some reason. No wonder my hair has been feeling worse and worse over the last year! I clarified & did an SMT last night for about 2.5 hours and my hair feels loads better already. Didn't bring my wurls back yet, but it has a more consistent look about it now. I'm going to do another tonight! :)

Panth
September 14th, 2013, 04:55 AM
Before cutting I would suggest using a good clarifying shampoo and then do a few test strands for color. What little I know about henna is that you can go darker but it can not be lifted to a lighter color. Also it is my understanding that the hair may take color differently and it may appear blotchy particularly with any deposit only colors.

I've not heard of anyone reporting blotchy colouring when using deposit-only dye over henna - quite the opposite, there are several people here who use Manic Panic or similar over henna very successfullly.

I have heard of people having problems when trying to use semi/demi permanent or permanent colour over henna. YMMV.

Well, I did do a test strand of Vampire Red manic panic and I actually quite like the color on me, as does my husband. Still waiting to see how well it stays in my hair or if it'll wash out super quick and not make it worth the trouble. It definitely feels better on my hair than henndigo does.

I still may go the semipermanent route if need be, but I really wanted to give a deposit only dye a try first. If only manic panic came in brown lol!

If you're feeling adventurous/creative, you could always blend colours. Deposit-only dyes are fully blendable and you could attempt to mix some to get a brown (or browner) shade. Of course, strand testing would be a VERY good idea if you did this!

Barnet Girl
September 14th, 2013, 09:49 AM
I would try honey lightening myself. It has been reported to pull out indigo. Also henna + Amla results in a browner colour if you don't like the red of henna, and amla adds curl back. Honey lightening doesn't cause any damage and you can do this as often as you like. There's a huge thread on it! Another thought: If you are using lemon in your henna mixes this will leave your hair feeling dried out. Chamomile tea or just water works fine. HTH!