PDA

View Full Version : Coconut Oil experiences

lemur530
September 10th, 2013, 11:57 AM
Hi!

A while ago I posted here and got some great advice to use coconut oil to nourish my dry ends. I used it once, overnight, and while it did leave my hair incredibly soft the next day, it also caused a big shower shed.

Has this been anyone else's experience? I'll keep using it to see, maybe I just used too much?

sarahthegemini
September 10th, 2013, 11:59 AM
Did you use it on your scalp? I've only ever used it on my length and ends.

Squiggy
September 10th, 2013, 12:45 PM
If I put it just on my ends my hair turns out soft and shiny. But if it touches my scalp I shed like crazy! I know some people use it on their scalps with no ill effect, but I (and others) don't fall in that category.

meteor
September 10th, 2013, 01:14 PM
Hi!

A while ago I posted here and got some great advice to use coconut oil to nourish my dry ends. I used it once, overnight, and while it did leave my hair incredibly soft the next day, it also caused a big shower shed.

Has this been anyone else's experience? I'll keep using it to see, maybe I just used too much?

This can happen with ANY oil applied directly to scalp. It's very normal reaction. If you are only beginning oiling & massaging your scalp, you'll notice more hair shed than usual. This goes away after 2 or 3 applications, as your roots are getting stronger and used to the massaging action.
I think, it can happen if you apply it just to your length too, first, because oil can travel up the hair shaft a little and, second, because it just gives an appearance of shedding hair, while it's just the hair that's already shed that's coming out or also hairs nearby that get entangled and coming out with the shed hairs stuck to them.
Check your overall shedding rate. If it's the same as before, you can safely keep oiling. My hair sheds more during oilings, but doesn't appear to shed at other times. It's a bit like washing: you'll see more hairs coming out in the shower just because you are manipulating hair more and old shed hairs are being removed, but it doesn't necessarily mean that there's a problem.

jacqueline101
September 10th, 2013, 04:50 PM
If its causing a major shed I'd try to not use it or see if it's an allergic reaction.

akilina
September 10th, 2013, 05:59 PM
Oil on scalp can cause alot of shedding for some. I would do a search if you want hundreds of extensive answers :agree: sometimes not many people will reply, but there's more info if you're not finding what you're looking for.

https://www.google.com/search?q=coconut+oil+and+shedding+long+hair+commun ity+site:forums.longhaircommunity.com&client=safari&hl=en

This search on google came up with many results. If link doesn't work try a google search like "coconut oil and shedding long hair community"

panffle
September 10th, 2013, 06:45 PM
If you applied it to your scalp as well, yes, it can cause a bit of increase to your daily shedding. I, personally, don't leave coconut oil for longer than a couple of hours when I apply it on my scalp for scalp massages. When I apply it to the length, I use very little oil.

Crumpet
September 10th, 2013, 06:56 PM
There shouldn't be a relationship between what you do to your ends and your scalp, so yes, applying to your scalp could be the problem. If you have not applied it to your scalp, something else may be responsible.