PDA

View Full Version : how old were you when you started loving long hair?

PamelaViktoria
September 9th, 2013, 07:28 PM
I had long hair when I was 4, and my dad cut it off and traumatized me:(
Around that age, I saw bionic woman, and have been in love with her color ever since.
And then in grade 1, a girl had long blonde hair that I used to braid. I was hooked!:joy:

chen bao jun
September 9th, 2013, 07:37 PM
I always loved long hair.
I just didn't always love it on ME. I kind of thought of it as something to get to when I became an old lady. I felt I had to 'style' because I was young.
I remember actually once saying that to a friend. We were about twenty. I said that when i was old, I wanted long, natural hair. she looked sort of shocked and then said, "But even when you are old, you might want to look nice."
lol

jacqueline101
September 9th, 2013, 09:29 PM
I've always loved long hair and regret cutting mine into a shag.

emilylightning
September 9th, 2013, 09:38 PM
Im not sure but it's been years and I'm only 17 so... lol. I loved short hair for the first like 2 years after chopping it all off... but then I started missing it long again. I've attempted and failed at growing my hair out for like the last 5 years... So I'd have to say no later than 12. I've moved on from loving long hair... now I'M OBSESSED WITH IT! :lol:

Noctifer
September 10th, 2013, 12:13 AM
For as long as I can remember, but it wasn't until I was about 20 i did understand that shorter then shoulder wasnt anything for me. I might looked cute but just did not feel right

Merlin
September 10th, 2013, 12:30 AM
My last year at middle school there were two girls with hair which was waist length + when it was up in a high ponytail (they never wore it any other way) - I think I was probably hooked then! In retrospect I wonder how they got it to stay up all day like that!

woolyleprechaun
September 10th, 2013, 01:15 AM
Always. For as long as I can remember, I've adored long hair. The only reason I've ever cut mine is due to poor condition or growing out dye, not because I've actually wanted it shorter.
I could have sat and stared all day at some of the long hairs in my primary school :)

TenaciousTangle
September 10th, 2013, 01:33 AM
I think my mother used to tell me that having long hair made me look like a princess. That, along with all those Disney movies I watched during my childhood, seemed to result in me just growing up thinking that long hair was the coolest thing. I guess I still think that way!

Purdy Bear
September 10th, 2013, 03:29 AM
Initially my mother made me have short hair and then my lovely Aunt told me I should grow it long as it was more lady like, so as a strong minded 4 year old I did just that. It wasn't until I started to loose my hair at 13 years old did I really become to appreciate it though.

FuzzyBlackWaves
September 10th, 2013, 04:27 AM
On men? About 13 ;) On me? I've always liked to keep it long-ish, but I only wanted it*really* long (in my opinion) when I turned 20.

labailaora
September 10th, 2013, 04:38 AM
Since I was little! My mother had mid-thigh-length hair when I was tiny (though she chopped it off to shoulder-length for a while when I was a kid), and I always was fascinated with the pictures of Crystal Gayle on my parents' 8-track tapes and cassettes - the one where she's in a white nightgown thing in particular sticks in my mind. So I always wanted long hair, and as soon as I was allowed to grow out my awful bangs/bob combination (age 11), that's what I aimed for. I'm not quite there yet :p but I like to think that I'm a proper longhair now!

XcaliburGirl
September 10th, 2013, 05:48 AM
Probably elementary school age. I remember thinking that if only I hadn't had a chin-length cut in Kindergarten, I would have knee length hair.

MaryMarx
September 11th, 2013, 03:31 AM
On men? About 13 ;)
Agreed. :D

Me, I've always loved long hair. I have no idea why I waited until 26 to start growing it out though.

Emanuelle
September 11th, 2013, 03:43 AM
Since kindergarten ^-^

shutterpillar
September 11th, 2013, 04:50 AM
I've loved long hair for as long as I can remember, but there was a time in high school where I preferred the short, choppy haircuts. I always thought long hair was not the right option for me since I've always been fairly active, but it turns out it's easier to manage than short hair when it comes to keeping it out of the way during exercise/activities.

NuclearApple
September 11th, 2013, 05:41 AM
I always loved long hair but my mom always chopped it off to shoulder length,I was admiring at kindergarten these girls with long hair and I never had it as long as them,three years ago though I told I wanted to grow my hair out and this is it :o

rose313
September 11th, 2013, 01:44 PM
Since I was born lol. I've never wanted my hair short. I had almost waist length hair as a child until I was 10, then down my back as a teenager. Mine is still too short for my tastes.

Rtzgrl
September 11th, 2013, 02:06 PM
I've preferred long hair ever since I can remember, probably partly because of my Grandmother. She had hair down to around her knees and wore it up in a bun during the day. My sister and I loved watching her brush it at night and do it up in a long braid down the back to sleep in. Funny, almost 40 years later, I wear my hair in a bun all day, and braid it at night, just like her!

My Mom kept my hair around shoulder length up until I was old enough to wash it myself. (around the age of 11) She said it was too thin to be long, and I believed her. It didn't help much that my sister had super thick, wavy hair. She got to have long hair, even when she was really little. NO FAIR!

sarahthegemini
September 11th, 2013, 02:11 PM
Hmm, well let's see. I'm 23 now so probably since I was ... 22 and a half :p

panffle
September 11th, 2013, 03:01 PM
About 6 or 7. My mother never let me grow long hair, I always had hair above my shoulders. Once she stopped controlling how long my hair should be, I let it grow to hip before being annoyed with caring for it lol. Silly young me. But I never stopped liking long hair, obviously. That time I just wanted it to be easier for me.

hikarilu
September 11th, 2013, 03:04 PM
Always loved it but always thought it made me look bad and fat (i used to be overweight and really depressed about my looks) so i only began to grow it when i lost weight...
Too bad i couldn't ignore all those people saying it wouldn't suit me because my face is too chubby and my hair too thin...

ChristineB
September 11th, 2013, 04:44 PM
Since I was like...5. I have almost always had long hair, and always wanted to have "princess Jasmine" hair. The longest I had it was classic length. It's *almost* back there. :) Trying to grow out these damn layers!

Amygirl8
September 11th, 2013, 04:49 PM
Ever since I was little, I guess. I was tired of the pixie my mom always forced me to have, and I wanted to grow my hair out to replicate a style from a storybook I owned. I think maybe when I was 3 or 4 I consciously started growing it.

Kwantslonghair
September 12th, 2013, 06:26 AM
When I was about 6. My great grandma always wore her hair in raids criss crossed on top of her head. The last time I saw her she was sick in bed. I was in awe at her braids hanging down her body. I had never seen them down before. I have loved it ever since.

lulana
September 12th, 2013, 07:03 AM
I was about 5 years old because i had a friend at the kindergarten with long beautiful red hair and i felt instantly in love with it but at that time my parents find it more comfortably to cut me a boyish hairstyle :rolleyes:

deja
September 12th, 2013, 09:00 AM
I didn't want long hair until I was sixteen. I loved long hair as a little girl but I never wanted it for myself with it until I was fifteen.

deja
September 12th, 2013, 09:03 AM
I didn't want long hair until I was sixteen. I loved long hair as a little girl but I never wanted it for myself with it until I was fifteen.

My first post and I messed up like a hundred times. I loved long hair when I was little. I didn't want my hair to be long until I was fifteen and I started intentionally growing at age 16 :)

ositarosita
September 12th, 2013, 11:00 AM
When I was 16 or so I read a book I forget which one and there was a line about her long flowing mahogany hair falling down her back.. ever since then I loved long mahogany textured hair. Keep in mind my hair was HL I just desperately wanted to dye it brown so I could be like the woman in the book and when that couldn't happen I chopped it all off

Agnes Hannah
September 12th, 2013, 11:37 AM
Ive always loved long hair, and always wanted it. When I was at nursery school, one of the helpers had long blonde hair and I used to stare at it in wonder, it was beautiful. My hair, being so fine, was slow to grow and nits/head lice loved it. My mother always kept it short and wouldnt let me have it long. She complains now when I put it up, she says I look like an old woman. She doesnt understand how I feel about my femininity and hair in particular. my great grandmother had long thickhair which she used to wear up in braided coils over each ear. I wish i had met her, I think she would have understood me.
I used to stare in wonder at people with long hair especially when they had a pretty clip in it, Iused to think they were born with these clip in, Ididnt know you could buy them, but I was very young then.
Today, my hair is just above BSL and is growing well, I have changed someof my destructive hair habits to encourage healthier growth.
I did have it long in my twenties, probably about the same length it is now, but have also had it really really short, in a bob, but didnt really like it.

lapushka
September 12th, 2013, 12:19 PM
About 6 years old, when I started growing it out to classic because I wanted to (I was (and am) strong willed).

lazuliblue
September 12th, 2013, 12:50 PM
22. Up until then I had never even appreciated my own hair, let alone anyone else's. Now I love long (healthy) hair!

rosemilk
September 12th, 2013, 12:51 PM
Hello I'm new :)
Back to topic probably when I was 7 and at that time I actually had very long hair.

HintOfMint
September 12th, 2013, 03:27 PM
Aside from a spell as a 4 year old hooked on Sleeping Beauty, not until 18/19. I adored short hair and unconventional, "emo" cuts. I received a lot of positive feedback on my short hair because it suited my build and my personality quite a bit.
Unfortunately, it wasn't the best for my face and ultimately I decided to grow it long.

Funkyfish
September 12th, 2013, 03:37 PM
I have a boring, flat hairtype with little volume. I started loving it after henna. It must feel great having big long shiny hair, I always loved that!

xoam0re
September 12th, 2013, 03:38 PM
ive gone through phases my whole life.... i'll love long hair, then hate it... but after seeing tangled (yes the disney movie!) i knew i wanted Rupunzel.. or almost Rupunzel hair. :crush:

PamelaViktoria
September 17th, 2013, 03:00 PM
For as long as I can remember, but it wasn't until I was about 20 i did understand that shorter then shoulder wasnt anything for me. I might looked cute but just did not feel right

ahh the word cute. I don't know if it's just me, or... I've always found that word not to be a compliment. Cute outfit is ok, but I want people to say "wow, you're hair is beautiful!" not cute haha

PamelaViktoria
September 17th, 2013, 03:04 PM
Initially my mother made me have short hair and then my lovely Aunt told me I should grow it long as it was more lady like, so as a strong minded 4 year old I did just that. It wasn't until I started to loose my hair at 13 years old did I really become to appreciate it though.

ouch! Why were you losing it?

PamelaViktoria
September 17th, 2013, 03:08 PM
Since I was little! My mother had mid-thigh-length hair when I was tiny (though she chopped it off to shoulder-length for a while when I was a kid), and I always was fascinated with the pictures of Crystal Gayle on my parents' 8-track tapes and cassettes - the one where she's in a white nightgown thing in particular sticks in my mind. So I always wanted long hair, and as soon as I was allowed to grow out my awful bangs/bob combination (age 11), that's what I aimed for. I'm not quite there yet :p but I like to think that I'm a proper longhair now!
You made me just remember something! Because I have a high forehead, my mom always gave me bangs. But if your face is long, bangs and long hair can make you look even more thin. So growing up, I always kept it mid-back. But now that I don't have bangs, super long hair looks great on me! Oh, and I was always fascinated by Crystal Gayle's hair as well. It looked like every single strand reached the floor!

PamelaViktoria
September 17th, 2013, 03:32 PM
Always loved it but always thought it made me look bad and fat (i used to be overweight and really depressed about my looks) so i only began to grow it when i lost weight...
Too bad i couldn't ignore all those people saying it wouldn't suit me because my face is too chubby and my hair too thin...

I think long hair makes a rounder face look thinner.

PamelaViktoria
September 17th, 2013, 03:34 PM
Since I was like...5. I have almost always had long hair, and always wanted to have "princess Jasmine" hair. The longest I had it was classic length. It's *almost* back there. :) Trying to grow out these damn layers!

Wow I feel old! My long hair love was bionic woman from the 70's, and yours was Jasmine? hahaha

PamelaViktoria
September 17th, 2013, 03:37 PM
When I was 16 or so I read a book I forget which one and there was a line about her long flowing mahogany hair falling down her back.. ever since then I loved long mahogany textured hair. Keep in mind my hair was HL I just desperately wanted to dye it brown so I could be like the woman in the book and when that couldn't happen I chopped it all off

Are you happy with your color now?

PamelaViktoria
September 17th, 2013, 03:40 PM
ive gone through phases my whole life.... i'll love long hair, then hate it... but after seeing tangled (yes the disney movie!) i knew i wanted Rupunzel.. or almost Rupunzel hair. :crush:
I still haven't seen that movie! tsk tsk loving long hair and all...