PDA

View Full Version : Please help if you can. I have a bird's nest on top of my head!!

BeckiKinsella
September 7th, 2013, 11:19 AM
I Have wanted to grow my hair for a long time. Unfortunately, I decided to put blonde highlights in it a few weeks ago, and it is in terrible condition now :( come her for some help on how to get it in good condition. I wash it most days, condition it 2-3 times per week with Aussie hair (the moisturising one I think, with macademia oil). But nothing I can do helps. It gets so greasy within 24 hours. I have been trying to leave it up more for the last few days without washing it, to try to let it recover a bit. It looks like I have dipped it in a chip fryer it is that greasy. Lol. But that is not the main problem. It is just so damaged, it looks and feels like straw, soo frizzy. Is there any way I can get rid of these highlights without causing more damage and without having to cut it all off??? I regret doing it so much, it doesn't even look good :( I don't know what possessed me to do it. And it just doesn't seem to hardly grow at all. I want really really long, healthy hair, but nothing I can do seems to work!!!

PLEASE HELP!!!

PS, sorry if I have posted this in the wrong place, I am new here and this is my first post.

samanthajenalyn
September 7th, 2013, 11:43 AM
I know that pure organic coconut oil helps with damaged hair. You can usually get it at your local supermarket. It's mostly a solid, but it will melt when you touch it. I had damaged hair, and I started putting a small amount on my hair every few days, and that has helped a lot. I don't know anything about removing highlights, or anything like that. But I'm sure other people on this forum will have better advice for you. Sorry you're having such trouble.

Also, for most people washing with shampoo every day can be very drying to you hair, which in turn makes it produce more oil. You may want to try to stretch out your washes more, and just wear your hair up so it doesnt look so greasy. You could also look into CWC washing, or CO washing. It will take your scalp some time to adjust and to stop making so much oil, but it will more than likely help your hair in the long run.

Here's the link to the CO washing thread : http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=2898
And to the CWC washing thread: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=53421

Firefox7275
September 7th, 2013, 12:04 PM
I Have wanted to grow my hair for a long time. Unfortunately, I decided to put blonde highlights in it a few weeks ago, and it is in terrible condition now :( come her for some help on how to get it in good condition. I wash it most days, condition it 2-3 times per week with Aussie hair (the moisturising one I think, with macademia oil). But nothing I can do helps. It gets so greasy within 24 hours. I have been trying to leave it up more for the last few days without washing it, to try to let it recover a bit. It looks like I have dipped it in a chip fryer it is that greasy. Lol. But that is not the main problem. It is just so damaged, it looks and feels like straw, soo frizzy. Is there any way I can get rid of these highlights without causing more damage and without having to cut it all off??? I regret doing it so much, it doesn't even look good :( I don't know what possessed me to do it. And it just doesn't seem to hardly grow at all. I want really really long, healthy hair, but nothing I can do seems to work!!!

PLEASE HELP!!!

PS, sorry if I have posted this in the wrong place, I am new here and this is my first post.

Welcome! You cannot get rid of highlights, bleach permanently removes the melanin pigment, some of the structural protein and lipids from your hair: highlights are not something added to the hair but something subtracted. Unfortunately that damage is permanent because hair is dead, however it is possible to 'patch repair' (temporary and ongoing) so improving the condition and strength. Do condition every time you wet or wash your hair.

Proven beneficial ingredients for damaged hair include coconut oil, hydrolysed protein, ceramides, 18-MEA and panthenol. Try applying coconut oil to dry hair, leaving overnight then washing out with conditioner the following day. Alternate that with a light hydrolysed protein treatment. You might get wonderful results from the first treatments, more likely you will have to do a series of treatments, instant gratification really only comes from silicones coating the surface. I really like Komaza Care Matani repair treatment spray (ceramides, panthenol, protein), they also have Matani leave in conditioner; not tried it but Scientific Essentials hair conditioner has good ingredients (18-MEA, panthenol, protein).

Do use a super gentle cleansing product - ideally no anionic sufactants and no alkaline soaps, pH ~4.5 which will help the cuticle lay flat making hair feel softer, slippier and less tangly. Gentle surfactants include the betaines and glucosides. Harsh shampoos can strip the scalp causing it to produce more sebum. Greasy appearance can be build up, are you using a lot of silicones? Silicones are suffix -cone, -conol, -xane.
http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/curl-products/curlchemist-porosity-and-curly-hair
http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/celebrities/ingredients-commonly-found-in-hair-care-products

Also be super gentle when handling your hair, when combing/ brushing/ detangling, when sleeping (silk or satin pillowcase), when doing up dos (loose, only gentle tools), no heat styling only air dry, protect religiously from sunlight.