PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone identify this mystery bun?

Eve 322
September 7th, 2013, 11:08 AM
Ok so about a week ago on YouTube, I found this really cute and simple bun. I thought I saved the video in a playlist, but apparently I was logged out at the time, so the video isn't even in my "recently watched" history.

I can only remember about half the steps, but was hoping one of the many bun masters on LHC could help me identify it through a description. I feel like it had a name that made it sound Asian-inspired, like Chinese ____ Bun, but I could be wrong.

so, here goes:

I remember you gather your hair into a ponytail, and split the ponytail into two sections and braid them to make two regular braids.

Then you insert a hair stick horizontally behind the ponytail, take the left braid and loop it behind the hair stick, do the same with the right.

Then she proceeded to wrap the braids in some way that made it bun-like...those steps I don't remember, which is why I wanted to view the video and try it today. :/

anyone know what bun this is, so I can look it up again? Any help is much appreciated.

Mindy
September 7th, 2013, 11:09 AM
Sounds to me like a braided Chinese bun.

Arien
September 7th, 2013, 11:20 AM
Sounds like a Chinese bun to me too! :)

Eve 322
September 7th, 2013, 12:55 PM
Found it! Chinese braided bun/braided Chinese bun, and...I suck at it. Lol. Do I not have enough hair? Mine looks absolutely lame. Maybe I'm just not starting the braid close enough to the base of my head. Man...I suck at braiding. I need to learn how to do these things better! I grew up tomboy, and times like these I feel my lack of girly skills...smh
lol

http://s24.postimg.org/voa9umsid/image.jpg

which.chick
September 7th, 2013, 01:04 PM
Eve322: Your hair is lovely! (Mine is very similar, so I am perhaps biased in this.) Braiding is a matter of practice, but as another owner of fairly straight, slippery hair, I've found that my braiding gets a little better with a small mist of water on the hair once it's detangled and before I start braiding. It makes it more well-behaved. I'm not talking wet, just a little damp.

TiaKitty
September 7th, 2013, 01:09 PM
Yeah, that's not bad for a first try, at all! Practice, practice, practice is what will get you updo skills. :D

Eve 322
September 7th, 2013, 03:00 PM
Thanks guys!! Here's the latest try...I think it's getting closer...but I feel like I need way longer hair to get this to look like the tutorial I've been using: http://youtu.be/n98D0j8Ypfg
http://s21.postimg.org/ge7buo8jb/image.jpg

Nae
September 7th, 2013, 03:02 PM
It is looking good! The second picture really shows you have been working on it.

MeowScat
September 7th, 2013, 03:52 PM
It looks great! Maybe try using hair friendly elastics and make two ponytails, then braid them? It'll help anchor it a bit more.

Eve 322
September 7th, 2013, 08:54 PM
It looks great! Maybe try using hair friendly elastics and make two ponytails, then braid them? It'll help anchor it a bit more.

Great tip, I'm gonna try that, it would definitely help secure it in place, which I think is my main problem.