PDA

View Full Version : Is there any way my hairdresser can cut off the split ends without losing length ?

stephy190
September 7th, 2013, 06:06 AM
I heard about twisting the hair and cutting the bits that stick out as they are the split ends?
I have splits up the shaft of my hair and was advised to keep my hair the length it is (just above BSL) and get regular trims every month or two of like a tiny amount.
Thanks guys! xxx

sarahthegemini
September 7th, 2013, 06:24 AM
You can try the search and destroy method (S&D) Basically just trim the individual hairs with splits, that way you're only getting rid of what is absolutely necessary and still maintaining length.

Soltimus
September 7th, 2013, 06:41 AM
I think the S&D method might be a good way to deal with it as well. Plus you get to save some money by doing it yourself if you need it done that often. Just make sure you get a pair of salon scissors. They don't have to be super expensive, just remember to only use them on hair and nothing else.

blondecat
September 7th, 2013, 07:35 AM
Some will do a 'Dust' which is only the very end tips of your hair.
But, from what I understand, it isn't cheep.

S&D is efficient, cheep and you can do it yourself :)

(((((((((((Hugs)))))))))) Welcome and Good luck :)

lapushka
September 7th, 2013, 07:37 AM
I think first of all you need to see what a split end is. They're not just all the hairs that stick out when you twist individual strands of hair!

Look at these pictures:
https://www.google.be/search?q=split+ends&bav=on.2,or.r_cp.r_qf.&bvm=bv.51773540,d.d2k,pv.xjs.s.en_US.jkEW54nYU50.O&biw=1098&bih=619&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=DCwrUoeKEKXX7Ab0jYEQ#facrc=0%3Bwhat%20do%20spli t%20ends%20look%20like&imgdii=_&imgrc=_

Leeloo
September 7th, 2013, 08:11 AM
I heard about twisting the hair and cutting the bits that stick out as they are the split ends?
I have splits up the shaft of my hair and was advised to keep my hair the length it is (just above BSL) and get regular trims every month or two of like a tiny amount.
Thanks guys! xxx

The method you just described would get rid of your split ends and keep your length. Maybe your hair dress can do that method.

spidermom
September 7th, 2013, 08:29 AM
When I twist my hair, most of the bits that stick out are not split.

jacqueline101
September 7th, 2013, 09:34 AM
I agree make sure you have splits before you start cutting. If you have someone who has long hair does their own trims maybe the chances are good they s&d can help you. Show you a split and help go through your hair.

FuzzyBlackWaves
September 7th, 2013, 10:18 AM
Those short hairs that come out of the twist are just growing hairs. Hair does not grow as one entity, each individual strand grows at a different rate. The very long hairs you have now will fall out when those short hairs have grown into your new long hairs. Splits are when the end of the hair strand is not one continuous line. S and Ding is the only way I know of to get rid of these split ends without cutting (and thus reducing) the rest of your length. The other use for trims is getting rid of taper (when your ends get thin) and this does not warrant extremely frequent trims for most people.

BlazingHeart
September 7th, 2013, 10:16 PM
As Spidermom and FuzzyBlackWaves said, what happens when you twist a section of hair is that hairs that are perfectly healthy but not as long as your longest hairs stick out. If you do that, the majority of the hairs you cut will not have had split ends. You have 2 options that are better, though. The first is what we S&D (search and destroy). You need a pair of hair scissors for this, and they should only ever be used on hair. Then you just section your hair and go through each section looking for split ends. The other option is a small trim. You will lose some length, but statistically, the longest hairs are the most likely to have splits.

akilina
September 7th, 2013, 10:33 PM
I would just do it yourself :) I mean, it's very simple but I can imagine that some other hairdressers might not want to wrap their head around it. Plus, it would probably cost alot more than just a trim or cut.
Also, doing it yourself is free. I like to sit in a well lit area and just do thin sections at a time. No pressure to sit and do it for hours this way.
I would not assume that a hair needs to be cut unless the end has a white dot, or are obviously split in two or more ways. (Echoing spider mom here) just because it sticks out doesn't mean it's damaged.

PamelaViktoria
September 9th, 2013, 06:56 PM
I don't really do S&D. I just always have scissors at my desk, when I see a split, I chop it off:slap:

wrh452
September 9th, 2013, 07:14 PM
I can't search mine out because my hair is so prone to splits it would take me forever. I just try to keep mine trimmed.