PDA

View Full Version : Scabs on scalp?

sagremus
September 7th, 2013, 12:46 AM
My scalp has a lot of build up and gets oily. It also has a lot of dandruff and gets itchy if I don't wash it for a while. I use sulfates to keep it clean, which seems to work for my hair. I wash my hair every 4 days. About the 3rd day my scalp gets even more itchy and flaky. I also notice some areas of "scabs" and I have a bad habit of scratching them and they flake off (no bleeding or anything). There are many 5-10 of these areas throughout my hair. They are all over, some near my hairline and some all over my scalp.

Should I wash my hair more often? I am going to try jojoba oil soaks to the scalp.

kiezel
September 7th, 2013, 01:18 AM
For your current problem, I suggest you wash more. I have the same problem. I find that washing more may dry out my hair, but it usually keeps my scalp healthy. Make sure to use something that's anti-dandruff. Try to aim to wash before your head starts itching. Over time, mine got worse and turned into bleeding spots. I now have to apply ointment to kill the infection, and wash my hair even more. I also got some hair loss from it.

jacqueline101
September 7th, 2013, 03:43 AM
I'd go to the doctor see if it's not an allergic reaction.

Firefox7275
September 7th, 2013, 04:19 AM
My scalp has a lot of build up and gets oily. It also has a lot of dandruff and gets itchy if I don't wash it for a while. I use sulfates to keep it clean, which seems to work for my hair. I wash my hair every 4 days. About the 3rd day my scalp gets even more itchy and flaky. I also notice some areas of "scabs" and I have a bad habit of scratching them and they flake off (no bleeding or anything). There are many 5-10 of these areas throughout my hair. They are all over, some near my hairline and some all over my scalp.

Should I wash my hair more often? I am going to try jojoba oil soaks to the scalp.

If you run a search there are many threads on various scalp disorders. The best piece of advice anyone can give you is to see your family doctor or dermatologist for a diagnosis since few here have any medical qualifications: you can easily do more harm than good amateur treating an amateur diagnosis.

XcaliburGirl
September 7th, 2013, 06:09 AM
I too wash more which seems to help my scalp issues. I generally just get flakes and itching. I shampoo my scalp daily, I keep conditioner away from my scalp, and when it flares up, I use Nizoral dandruff shampoo. That seems to be the best routine for my head, though as they say, your mileage may vary.

Good luck figuring it out.

lapushka
September 7th, 2013, 06:26 AM
I generally just get flakes and itching. I shampoo my scalp daily, I keep conditioner away from my scalp, and when it flares up, I use Nizoral dandruff shampoo.

Seconding the Nizoral shampoo. I have it in the 2% strength.

Good luck from me too!

blondecat
September 7th, 2013, 07:46 AM
I get something like that too.

Mine is the Adult equivalent of 'cradle cap' aka Dermatitis/ mixed with a odd dose of psoriasis.

Anywho. I dab my scalp with tea tree / peppermint Eo's and Castor oil mix. (1 tble castor/2 drops of each Eo's) When needed. massage in, try not to pic, even tho I know its a habit (one I share when stressed)

Also diluting my shampoo 1 - 3 parts water helped as well.

Good luck

In2wishin
September 7th, 2013, 08:20 AM
If you run a search there are many threads on various scalp disorders. The best piece of advice anyone can give you is to see your family doctor or dermatologist for a diagnosis since few here have any medical qualifications: you can easily do more harm than good amateur treating an amateur diagnosis.

I agree. Also, take all of your current haircare products with you so he can check for possible allergy or comedogenic triggers. Some have found that they needed to wash more, some wash less. Some have needed to use a prescription shampoo, some didn't need to change a thing, and others just needed to change to a stronger or milder shampoo. All we can give you are anecdotes regarding what has worked for each us as individuals (for example, my scabs were caused by an allergy to certain preservatives).

fairview
September 7th, 2013, 10:18 AM
I agree. Also, take all of your current haircare products with you so he can check for possible allergy or comedogenic triggers. Some have found that they needed to wash more, some wash less. Some have needed to use a prescription shampoo, some didn't need to change a thing, and others just needed to change to a stronger or milder shampoo. All we can give you are anecdotes regarding what has worked for each us as individuals (for example, my scabs were caused by an allergy to certain preservatives).

Agreed also. You can go from bad to worse to hair loss pretty quickly. There is no law that say you need to follow the doctor's treatment plan but having a confirmed diagnosis by a professional is the first step in making an informed decision about what to do. Making a decision from what you read or is recommended on a forum could be considered uninformed and perhaps not so intelligent. FWIW when I was in the Corps and just finished out deployment I developed a very similar problem from your description. That's was 30+ years ago and I have forgotten what the doc diagnosis was but I vividly remember the coal tar shampoo I used to get rid of it. Very nasty stuff. Probably solves every problem of the scalp, known, unknown and imaginary. I hope that is not your solution.