PDA

View Full Version : When do they headaches go away?

kysgrl
September 7th, 2013, 12:19 AM
I am trying to be good and wear my hair up but when do these headaches go away!

ETA: I dont wear my hair up tight :)

ExpectoPatronum
September 7th, 2013, 12:27 AM
If you have a headache, that might mean however you have your hair is pulling too tightly on your scalp. Try loosening your style and see if that prevents headaches. :)

kysgrl
September 7th, 2013, 12:30 AM
If you have a headache, that might mean however you have your hair is pulling too tightly on your scalp. Try loosening your style and see if that prevents headaches. :) Oh no, its not pulled tight. I NEVER wore my hair up so I suspect its from the follicles being pushed the opposite way of where they have been hanging for years.

FireFromWithin
September 7th, 2013, 12:50 AM
Make sure to drink lots of water too as it could be that your hair isn't the main reason for your headache. Stress is also a big factor especially in tension headaches. If they become unmanageable go to your dr.

Sarahlabyrinth
September 7th, 2013, 01:07 AM
Maybe just try having your hair up for a short time each day and gradually lengthen the time you have it up. That way your hair follicles will gradually get used to the different direction. You will be training them to obey little by little.

kysgrl
September 7th, 2013, 01:20 AM
Maybe just try having your hair up for a short time each day and gradually lengthen the time you have it up. That way your hair follicles will gradually get used to the different direction. You will be training them to obey little by little.that sounds like a good idea.

Sarahlabyrinth
September 7th, 2013, 01:23 AM
I'm sure that will be a help to you. It worked for me. Let us know how you get on.

Narya
September 7th, 2013, 02:40 AM
Well, I've had to cut because of those headaches event though my follicles and I were used to up-dos: it was just too much weight. I don't know how long is your hair, but keep in mind that maybe its weight + hair toys (if you use any, or if you use many pins to hold it in place) is too much for your follicles right now. Sarahlabyrinth's suggestion should work well for this.

Also, try different updos. If you usually do ponytail based buns, try some without ponytails; try top-knots, low buns, braided buns... Different buns tend to hold the weight differently, and if that doesn't work either you can try twin buns. Braids are another option: crown braids and such usually work well, though they can give headaches too if they're tight. And, of course, try different hair toys (for example, at first, if I tried the same bun with a fork or a flexi, even though they would hold, then a monster headache would follow. If I used two sticks or spin pins then no headache... or, at least, not a monster one)

I wish you find something that works for you, those headaches are not fun!

jacqueline101
September 7th, 2013, 03:36 AM
I agree training your hair might work. You might try it.

Firefox7275
September 7th, 2013, 05:22 AM
Maybe try half ups.

browneyedsusan
September 7th, 2013, 07:18 AM
Maybe just try having your hair up for a short time each day and gradually lengthen the time you have it up. That way your hair follicles will gradually get used to the different direction. You will be training them to obey little by little.

^This works.^

At first I could only tolerate an updo for 10 minutes, but after a week, I could manage a couple of hours.

dulce
September 7th, 2013, 11:31 AM
Hubbie cut my one length tailbone hair
to a sharp v with the shortest layers at collarbone and slowly graduating to the longest layers at tailbone,no more headaches and I can wear a pony again[not all the time though]sometimes the length is just too heavy and layers can help .

chen bao jun
September 7th, 2013, 05:59 PM
kysgirl, is it actual headaches or scalp pain? And how long/thick is your hair?
Mine hurt when I started bunning (about two months ago) a lot, though my hair is not long (brastrap). But I now have little trouble. In my case, it was getting used to buns. However, it might be different for you if you have really long, heavy hair.
I had been doing a faux crown braid and had no trouble with that. It spread the weight out. Are there some updoes you can do without hair toys like that, or is your hair very slippery?
If its not being accustomed, then with practice things do get better. It happened gradually for me and now I can wear a bun in the same place all day, which was impossible back in July.
Are there certain hair toys you're using? Some hairtoys are in themselves heavy. Last year my ficcares hurt a bunch. This year they don't, I think not only because I have more hair to distribute the weight of them, but also because I tried the ficcare recommended hairstyles from their own pamphlet. those didn't hurt and then later I found I could do other kinds of styles without pain.
But you might need to change one kind of hair toy to another, some styles of sticks, fork, jsut hurt some people.

VixenWolfMare
September 7th, 2013, 06:51 PM
when you put your hair up it should never hurt. you should never feel pain or pulling on one part of your head. if you do then you did your updo wrong and you have to redo it. if you don't then you can create balding patches. There is a learning curve with hair toys. they all take time. you might wan't to watch some videos on how to put your hair up with said toy. it took me a year to get really good with hair sticks. yes a year! (by that i mean i can put my hair up right with one try.) sometimes I just have days where my hair hurt to begin with. those are pony tail/down hair days. don't give up! it will get better!

heidi w.
September 7th, 2013, 06:58 PM
Wearing hair up always is a bad idea. Hair needs time to relax. Pulling the hair up at all can pull against the way hair grows which is often either side of the head on down. Sleep with hair taken out and not pulled up. Or at least sleep in it intensely relaxed such as loose pigtails that are lightly braided, and take it out in the opposite order the hair was put up in. This avoids tangling and big knots.
Wear hair up in a looser or easier updo when you wear it up, and the headaches will go away.
heidi w.

kysgrl
September 8th, 2013, 12:29 AM
It seems like its both headaches and scalp pain. BSL and its not heavy thick hair. Super fine. I have used bobby pins (4 not digging into the scalp) and have used a soft stretchy headband to bun it. Dont have anything else at the moment I think its the buns that are doing it because I put them o the top of my head and Im not used to it. Claw clips and pony's dont hurt but My hair is used to those. I wish I could braid but I am not capable of anything but a simple braid and that takes effort lol
kysgirl, is it actual headaches or scalp pain? And how long/thick is your hair?
Mine hurt when I started bunning (about two months ago) a lot, though my hair is not long (brastrap). But I now have little trouble. In my case, it was getting used to buns. However, it might be different for you if you have really long, heavy hair.
I had been doing a faux crown braid and had no trouble with that. It spread the weight out. Are there some updoes you can do without hair toys like that, or is your hair very slippery?
If its not being accustomed, then with practice things do get better. It happened gradually for me and now I can wear a bun in the same place all day, which was impossible back in July.
Are there certain hair toys you're using? Some hairtoys are in themselves heavy. Last year my ficcares hurt a bunch. This year they don't, I think not only because I have more hair to distribute the weight of them, but also because I tried the ficcare recommended hairstyles from their own pamphlet. those didn't hurt and then later I found I could do other kinds of styles without pain.
But you might need to change one kind of hair toy to another, some styles of sticks, fork, jsut hurt some people.

kysgrl
September 8th, 2013, 12:32 AM
Its not from pulling. The bun is loose. I believe its from the follicles being moved in a way they arent accustomed to.
when you put your hair up it should never hurt. you should never feel pain or pulling on one part of your head. if you do then you did your updo wrong and you have to redo it. if you don't then you can create balding patches. There is a learning curve with hair toys. they all take time. you might wan't to watch some videos on how to put your hair up with said toy. it took me a year to get really good with hair sticks. yes a year! (by that i mean i can put my hair up right with one try.) sometimes I just have days where my hair hurt to begin with. those are pony tail/down hair days. don't give up! it will get better!

kysgrl
September 8th, 2013, 12:33 AM
^This works.^

At first I could only tolerate an updo for 10 minutes, but after a week, I could manage a couple of hours.
Oh I'm glad I'm not the only one this has happened too!

browneyedsusan
September 8th, 2013, 02:30 PM
Nope, you're not alone.
I thought something was wrong with me when I couldn't stand one teensy, bobbypin in my bangs for 10 minutes. But then again, I'd worn my hair "down" for 20 solid years. The weight of that dinky pin felt like a brick. I can wear several bobbypins now; in fact I often miss some when I take my hair down! You'll get used to it, just keep after it.

Panth
September 10th, 2013, 01:22 PM
Its not from pulling. The bun is loose. I believe its from the follicles being moved in a way they arent accustomed to.

Personally, I find loose buns much worse than fairly tight buns. Of course, you should not wear your buns so tight that they start to pull out the hairs (i.e. threaten traction alopecia). However, in my experience loose buns "sag" a lot and therefore pull a lot more, plus bounce more with normal movement (e.g. walking), which results in slipping, sagging and more pulling. I cannot wear loose buns, but I wear fairly tight ones daily.

Another thing that can help is using more points to hold up the hair. I.e. use more, light weight pins rather than one or two big ones to spread the tension. Also, try two or three small buns rather than one big one. Or, you can make two ponytails tight next to each other, bun one and then wrap the second one around the bun of the first to make a single big bun - it spreads the tension points like two buns would, but looks like just one.

meteor
September 10th, 2013, 01:44 PM
Yes, I agree. I had the exact same problem at BSL when I first tried bunning. It went away only after a couple months.
My hair is getting longer and heavier, but my scalp is used to new updos now.
Try bunning for a short while, then taking it down or putting in braids instead. Slowly increase the time you keep hair up. It gets better!
Hang in there! :)