PDA

View Full Version : Another reason to avoid Parabens?

Allychan
September 6th, 2013, 10:40 PM
Hope this hasn't already been posted, please move if it has.

It's an article about parabens "Recently, the synthetic preservative in many beauty and cosmetic products – parabens – has been under intense scrutiny due to its hormone mimicking properties in the body. In fact, researchers from the University of Reading in the UK discovered an astonishing link between breast cancer and parabens"

http://purehealthgirls.com/Rresorcinol-the-parabens-of-hair-color-products

sofo
September 7th, 2013, 12:08 AM
I would prefer parabens considering what else is out there as preservatives. Parabens are well tested and considered safe. Ther are a few different parabens and all of them does not behave the same way in the body. Of course you have to be careful when introducing chemicals to the body (synthetic or natural). But from my point of view parabens are to prefer from other options like sodiumbenzoate (which I think is the most common cheap replacement). Parabens cause less allergic reactions than any other preservatives. My scalp itches from some products and I would guess I'm well off avoiding sodium benzoate, but it gets harder and harder since the "paraben scare". If estrogen makes breastcancer grow and the tumour wants estrogen and absorbs parabens instead, does it grow from the parabens like it grows from the estrogen or does it slow down the growth?

With cancer that grows on estrogen I would suspect body fat in excess (that produces estrogen) to be a worse feeder than schampo and other products.

I guess we could treat cosmetic products in another way, buy smaller bottles and store them in the fridge, but I don't see that happening any time soon.

Firefox7275
September 7th, 2013, 05:13 AM
What do you mean by 'another reason' what are the other reasons?

Read the study itself not one blogger's potentially biased opinion of it, the PDF is free online if you Google. Also note that the study is NINE YEARS old, it's pretty likely there has been subsequent research as well as an official safety assessment (review of the published research).