PDA

View Full Version : Microscopic comparison of bleached and unbleached hair

Aliped
September 6th, 2013, 07:23 PM
This is really interesting!

The images below show the difference between natural (left) and heavily bleached hair (right). On the untreated hair you can see layers (cuticles) separated by steps like overlapping roof tiles. Bleaching erases these steps, damaging the hair and leaving behind a rough surface. Photograph: National Physics Laboratory found in a Guardian newspaper article http://www.theguardian.com/science/gallery/2013/sep/06/nanotechnology-world-pictures#/?picture=416023246&index=2

http://i488.photobucket.com/albums/rr243/aliped99/bleached.png (http://s488.photobucket.com/user/aliped99/media/bleached.png.html)

Marbid
September 6th, 2013, 07:30 PM
oh god! Thank god I have never bleached my hair. But long long ago, I used to dye it black. I wonder if it causes the same deformities as bleaching. brrrrrr..... How horrible.

Nope
September 6th, 2013, 09:11 PM
I'm SO glad all of my bleached hair is gone. :P

Leeloo
September 6th, 2013, 09:48 PM
That is interesting to see the difference. Thanks for posting.

Aliped
September 6th, 2013, 10:09 PM
It's just a shame we can't see similar images of hair bleached with coconut oil as a pre-treatment.

Allychan
September 6th, 2013, 10:14 PM
Wow that's awesome. I found an image once of the seasalt on a hair shaft and it looked like it was covered in small barbs, no wonder beach hair has so much volume. Will have to try and find it

icallitbliss
September 6th, 2013, 10:33 PM
Yikes. Thank god I'm growing all that bleach out.

10000days
September 7th, 2013, 01:25 AM
Very interesting- thanks!

Zindell
September 7th, 2013, 01:50 AM
Very interesting picture! Thank you. :)

Years ago I used to bleach highlights, but my hair is all virgin now and when I look at the pic above it only strengthens my resolve.

Majormiles
September 7th, 2013, 02:14 AM
Wow. Thanks for that! Really interesting

CurlMonster
September 7th, 2013, 02:26 AM
It's really interesting to see the difference on such a small scale. :) Thanks for the link!

martyna_22
September 7th, 2013, 03:03 AM
Wow! That is some damage... I'd never do it to my hair ;)

jacqueline101
September 7th, 2013, 03:32 AM
That's interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Firefox7275
September 7th, 2013, 05:34 AM
Great images, thanks!

chen bao jun
September 7th, 2013, 05:49 AM
Would be curious to see one of relaxed or permed hair compared to untreated.
I relaxed my hair for about 20 years and I'm sure the damage was similar.

Lady Mary
September 7th, 2013, 07:58 AM
Holy damaging... Thanks for sharing!

Paraply
September 7th, 2013, 08:10 AM
This is very interesting. Thanks for sharing! I'll enjoy my hair's natural blonde shade :)

In2wishin
September 7th, 2013, 09:16 AM
oh god! Thank god I have never bleached my hair. But long long ago, I used to dye it black. I wonder if it causes the same deformities as bleaching. brrrrrr..... How horrible.

Was it a "color lift" dye? Color lift is a fancy name for bleaching and most dyes lift your original color, then deposit the new color. What you should look for are "deposit only" dyes.

Crumpet
September 7th, 2013, 09:32 AM
Thanks! I only got highlights a handful of times spread out over a few years...I had already decided to go natural, but this cinches it!

fairview
September 7th, 2013, 10:54 AM
For that amount of damage you don't need to have a microscope to see it. When it is that over processed you can see it with your eye. We all know hair is dead before it even emerges from the follicle but hair that has been so damaged acts dead. It has no movement. It just hangs there flat. It has no volume. When it is wet it feels nasty. Like overcooked refrigerated thin spaghetti. You don't want to put your hands in it, at least I don't.

Lightening the hair damages it. Time and exposure to the environment damages hair. What would also be interesting to know and would provide a balanced perspective to this comparison is how many levels was the bleached hair lifted or how many times was it bleached to obtain the white blonde look because for the cuticle to be stripped as shown all the melanin has been lifted off. Not only has the cuticle been removed but also the structure that holds the melanin itself has been destroyed. What your seeing in the bleached hair is the cortex.

A more meaningful and reasonable picture would be a comparison of hair at different levels that had been lifted by a responsible, ethical and licensed stylist to a normal highlight. Not a level 1 or 3 that has been lifted by some lab rat to beyond a platinum blonde.

PamelaViktoria
September 9th, 2013, 07:20 PM
Thanks so much for this! This gives me even more reason to grow out my bleach!

clioariane
September 10th, 2013, 06:45 AM
I'm SO glad all of my bleached hair is gone. :P
Same here!

Emanuelle
September 10th, 2013, 11:55 AM
This is so interesting! Thanks for posting!! :D

thankyousir74
September 10th, 2013, 11:58 AM
That explains how uncooperative the bottom half of my length is :/

Neecola
September 10th, 2013, 12:08 PM
How interesting! Thanks for sharing!

Misschilly
September 10th, 2013, 12:23 PM
Science is great! Very interesting to see, wounder if you can google up "hair damage picture"..

HylianGirl
September 10th, 2013, 04:28 PM
Cool, thanks for sharing!

Maktub
September 10th, 2013, 04:35 PM
Thanks for sharing !

dreamingstar
September 10th, 2013, 04:45 PM
Yikes. I'm so happy I've never bleached - and now I certainly won't! Thanks for the link.