PDA

View Full Version : Type 3s: Is there such a thing as too much product?

CurlyCap
September 6th, 2013, 01:56 AM
Hiya folks!

I'm just curious for the type 3s (and up?) out there, have you ever actually managed to put too much conditioning/moisturizing product in your hair?

I'm always amazed because each time I think I've gone to far, my hair just slurps it up and keeps on rockin'.

I've over oiled, but never over moisturized!

Quixii
September 6th, 2013, 02:06 AM
Well, I think it depends on what you mean by too much product. Has my hair ever felt over moisturized? I don't think so, though I haven't really tried. Has my hair ever felt over-product-ized? Yeah. It gets kind of stringy and less cooperative, whereas less of the same product makes it less frizzy and better looking.

DarkCurls
September 6th, 2013, 02:24 AM
Definitely!
But then, I'm in the low 3s, not as curly as you are. I've never had a gel overload (I don't usually use gel), but I have definitely overdone it on the leave-in (conditioner or oil) at times. Those experiences have really made me cut down on the amount I use, and sometimes I feel like my best days are the "naked" days. In most of my pictures on here, there's nothing in my hair (and we all know that the pictures posted on LHC are our best hair days).
In one of the first threads I posted here, I remember I'd gone too far with co-washing and my hair was flat, stringy, and unpleasant to touch. Not particularly fun.
For me, yeah, it's possible.

SoftCurlyHair
September 6th, 2013, 12:18 PM
It is entirely possible, especially a for a fine haired lady.

jeanniet
September 6th, 2013, 02:07 PM
Yes, although for me it's more too much of the wrong product, usually leave in. I seem to be able to use gobs of gel with no problem, but too much of a too-heavy leave in weighs my hair down too much.

kitschy
September 6th, 2013, 02:13 PM
I'm the opposite. I can use TONS of oil, and leave in LOADS of conditioner, but I can get over-gelled making my hair stick to my head and take for.ever. to dry.

AMD
September 6th, 2013, 06:39 PM
I'm a 3c and so far while in its natural state I've never encountered too much product (except oil). Eventually it works itself out.

Although when stretched, I have seen it get stringy and clumpy from too much product.

Hootenanny
September 6th, 2013, 06:55 PM
The only thing I seem to be able to overdo is oil. I can use gel and leave-in by the handful. This is such an interesting thread; we are all so different!

Beborani
September 6th, 2013, 07:19 PM
Oil needs to be used sparingly but any amount of leave-in when applied soaking wet disappears. But only products I like--some products can feel like buildup and icky and I cant wait to wash it off.

Marbid
September 6th, 2013, 07:26 PM
hmmm. I have never overdone a product. At least I don't think so. I leave in my conditioner everyday. My hair loves it. And I clarify once a week. Helps clear out all the conditioner. I also wash my hair every day, well, not really was it, just wet it, makes it easier to manage. Then I leave in the conditioner to tame the curls down. (I do let my hair rest once a month by spending a whole week without anything or wetting). It's a pattern i've stuck to for many years.

My hair loves this. It absorbs all the conditioner after it dries as if it never had conditioner on it. And it does not friz. Usually. Any change in my hair care causes catastrophe thou. Even a change in conditioner and it seems I either frizz out or dry out or clumps together into one big giant barrel curl. I can't say that is over doing a product. At least i don't think so. I just think my hair reacts badly to a change in my routine.

McFearless
September 6th, 2013, 07:26 PM
If my hair is compatible with the product, it can take on any amount. When I have negative reactions to products it often doesn't matter whether it is a dime sized amount or a whole lot.