PDA

View Full Version : Dyeing my hair tomorrow - questions

nena_shawty
September 5th, 2013, 07:34 PM
Ok, I'm dyeing my hair tomorrow a dark ash blonde to try to even out my hair color. I have half virgin roots and half henna on my ends , my roots are dark ash blonde. I have a evoo on my hair right now so that the chemicals won't fry my hair so bad. Is that a good idea will the color take good to my hair after the oil treatment? I hate using a chemical dye , but I'm tired of the uneven color on my hair and the red is just not me. Another question is, if I used honey lightning on my hair over my dyed hair would it be mess up the hair color? I mean besides it making it lighter? Thanks :)

nena_shawty
September 5th, 2013, 09:13 PM
Anyone?!! :I

Quixii
September 5th, 2013, 09:34 PM
Have you checked out the thread about lightening or removing henna? I've heard that just trying to dye over henna is unlikely to work, especially if you're trying to go a lighter colour.

Angelair
September 5th, 2013, 10:37 PM
There is a long thread in the henna section, started by Nightshade, about lightening some of the henna with Sun-In. I agree with Quixii - i don't think you can remove the red by applying the lighter color over it.

10000days
September 5th, 2013, 11:26 PM
I wouldn't use hair dye because from experience (mine and my sister's) any dye with peroxide damages the cuticle and when it fades make hair coppery/redish. I would recommend a colour gloss made with conditioner instead. A member on here had a similar issue and she did that; have a look at pages 1 and 2: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=114220

lapushka
September 6th, 2013, 01:32 AM
I second that the dark ash over the henna is unlikely to turn out as light as you want it (rather darker). To grow your hair out you might better have used a semi-permanent in the same color as your henna.

Firefox7275
September 6th, 2013, 04:58 AM
Ok, I'm dyeing my hair tomorrow a dark ash blonde to try to even out my hair color. I have half virgin roots and half henna on my ends , my roots are dark ash blonde. I have a evoo on my hair right now so that the chemicals won't fry my hair so bad. Is that a good idea will the color take good to my hair after the oil treatment? I hate using a chemical dye , but I'm tired of the uneven color on my hair and the red is just not me. Another question is, if I used honey lightning on my hair over my dyed hair would it be mess up the hair color? I mean besides it making it lighter? Thanks :)

It's coconut oil that is used to protect from peroxide damage, there isn't any evidence for olive oil having an affinity for structural proteins AFAIK. Hydrolysd protein can also protect from damage.

Have you run strand tests on shed plughole hair to see if the ash blonde will take over the henna you have? You might be better trying to lift the henna with a peroxide free colour remover like Color Oops or Colour B4. Henna does not normally bleach/ peroxide out, you can lift the hair's natural underlying melanin pigments but that can leave you with a paler red/ orange and is damaging to the hair. Possibly the alkalinity can weaken the bonds between the henna and hair, but you could achieve the same with the colour remover since they are alkaline.

nena_shawty
September 6th, 2013, 09:38 AM
Well the dye I have is a professional permanent hair dye and it doesn't have any peroxide in it. I'm not so much looking for lighter hair than evening the hair color out. Then I will go from there if I want it lighter...that's why I asked about the honey lightner .

jacqueline101
September 6th, 2013, 09:54 AM
I'd try to remove the henna.

nena_shawty
September 9th, 2013, 11:39 AM
Guess what guys I did the dirty deed of dyeing over henna ! And it evened out my hair color . It is now a strawberry blonde and the bottom is a deeper shade of strawberry blonde but its a nice kind of subtle ombré . I like it :).

nena_shawty
September 9th, 2013, 11:58 AM
I knew I was risking messing up my hair but I just needed a change.

PamelaViktoria
September 9th, 2013, 06:32 PM
How did it go?