PDA

View Full Version : Went to the salon. What can I do to make my hair forgive me?

Rilig
September 4th, 2013, 06:03 PM
Long time no see, ladies!

So, long story short, I [F] ended up going to the salon cuz someone else was paying and decided I needed a trim. It was true, so I let it happen, and my wife wanted it, so yeah.

Anyway, I've never gone to a salon before, and since someone else was paying, I got the normal stuff without making a fuss. I got shampooed (minty, with sulfatey stuff, I'm sure), conditioned (fruity, again sulfates), and a really short warm product treatment (no smell, god knows what was in that! All I know is she put some stuff on my hair and put a warm towel over it and rinsed it after 2-3 minutes).

Then she trims my hair. After that, she asks if I want it blown out. I tell to if she wants to. So she puts some mousse in my hair and blows it dry (the dryer was hot, like the water came off as steam).

After all that, I feel bad for my poor hair. It's a bit tacky and dry, and all that heat probably did a number, microscopically. It also smells like makeup (you know that foundation smell). What're some nice, natural treatments I can do to make my hair forgive me? Like a clarifying, heat-recovering, moisture-restoring procedure? I know it'll be more that one thing, and I don't want to wash it like normal because, even diluted, my Dr. Bronners is too stripping to do more than once every 4-5 days.

Also, unfortunately, I'll have to wait to do all this until tomorrow evening at the earliest, more like Friday evening. I have to go out tomorrow and won't have time.

akilina
September 4th, 2013, 06:40 PM
I see no true harm here.
Wash it, oil it, and move on :) I don't say that in a mean way though. It's over and done...try not to dwell.

Can't wash till Friday? Oil it and wear it up until then. Your hair isn't going to snap off after this one time. Is there any way you can rinse it or do a co wash? Washing is quick for me and can be done in the kitchen sink. 5 to 10 mins tops.
When you can, just clarify (if you think it even needs it) and do a nice deep treatment of your choice. Most likely there were no sulfates in the conditioner. Maybe try an SMT...conditioner, aloe, and honey. I like conditioner, aloe, and oil myself.

Also, many products are going sulfate free so I wouldn't assume it had sulfates(unless you know this for Fact). The deep treatment with a warm towel was probably not too different than any other deep treatment. It was probably a mix of protein and moisture. I wouldn't go assume that it was some terrible thing! If you are so concerned, call the salon and ask what each product was.
I'm guessing your hair might not have liked the mousse then blow drying which might result in the sticky feeling.

MidnightHowl
September 4th, 2013, 06:43 PM
Aw, sorry you had such a poor experience. My SO's hair hates the salon (3a/b curls) and will throw a massive revolt for days. He has since started letting me trim his hair. What has helped for us both if something like that happens is use something to get all the product off to get rid of that yucky/tacky feeling first of all. I hate for my hair to feel like that. You don't have to use something too harsh, I honestly wouldn't since you mentioned that they probably used sulfates and I wouldnt want to shampoo twice so close together unless I had to. Shampoo in general upsets SO's hair to no end, it just makes mine dry and straightens any curl my hair has. Since odds are your hair lost moisture from the shampoo and the blow drying, a moisturizing deep
treatment could probably help your hair a lot. Coconut oil is another thing that you might wanna try.

jacqueline101
September 4th, 2013, 10:15 PM
I'm sorry your hair turned out sticky.

blondecat
September 5th, 2013, 01:39 AM
I see no true harm here.
Wash it, oil it, and move on :) I don't say that in a mean way though. It's over and done...try not to dwell.

Can't wash till Friday? Oil it and wear it up until then. Your hair isn't going to snap off after this one time. Is there any way you can rinse it or do a co wash? Washing is quick for me and can be done in the kitchen sink. 5 to 10 mins tops.
When you can, just clarify (if you think it even needs it) and do a nice deep treatment of your choice. Most likely there were no sulfates in the conditioner. Maybe try an SMT...conditioner, aloe, and honey. I like conditioner, aloe, and oil myself.

Also, many products are going sulfate free so I wouldn't assume it had sulfates(unless you know this for Fact). The deep treatment with a warm towel was probably not too different than any other deep treatment. It was probably a mix of protein and moisture. I wouldn't go assume that it was some terrible thing! If you are so concerned, call the salon and ask what each product was.
I'm guessing your hair might not have liked the mousse then blow drying which might result in the sticky feeling.

I agree, it's not so bad. Give it a gentle wash, a good dollop of olive oil, let it sit for 5 minutes, rinse out. using a hairdryer Once, isnt going to make you bald (aka hair ran way from you screaming lol)

Rilig
September 5th, 2013, 10:16 AM
Lol, I didn't mean for this post to sound so melodramatic.

Anyone have a recommendation for clarifying? I know we have some Suave around here somewhere, but is there another, non-sulfatey option?

For now I'll oil it, since I'm wearing it up today anyway.

sakuraemily
September 5th, 2013, 10:20 AM
How about an SMT? People here have great results with it.
My personal favourite is this mask:
1/2 an avocado
olive oil- 6tbsp
1/2 cup yoghurt
Wash off with some very mild shampoo and condition.

sakuraemily
September 5th, 2013, 10:21 AM
sorry! Double post

PamelaViktoria
September 5th, 2013, 02:24 PM
how's your hair now?

alexis917
September 5th, 2013, 03:23 PM
My go-to clarifier is the VO5 Kiwi one, but it does have sulfates. I'm sorry! Hopefully someone will have other suggestions!
Meanwhile, I hear bananas are very nourishing in masks.
But as a precaution, I'd go for banana babyfood, or toss some in the blender and be VERY thorough.
Lots of people end up with chunks!

Firefox7275
September 5th, 2013, 04:41 PM
Long time no see, ladies!

So, long story short, I [F] ended up going to the salon cuz someone else was paying and decided I needed a trim. It was true, so I let it happen, and my wife wanted it, so yeah.

Anyway, I've never gone to a salon before, and since someone else was paying, I got the normal stuff without making a fuss. I got shampooed (minty, with sulfatey stuff, I'm sure), conditioned (fruity, again sulfates), and a really short warm product treatment (no smell, god knows what was in that! All I know is she put some stuff on my hair and put a warm towel over it and rinsed it after 2-3 minutes).

Then she trims my hair. After that, she asks if I want it blown out. I tell to if she wants to. So she puts some mousse in my hair and blows it dry (the dryer was hot, like the water came off as steam).

After all that, I feel bad for my poor hair. It's a bit tacky and dry, and all that heat probably did a number, microscopically. It also smells like makeup (you know that foundation smell). What're some nice, natural treatments I can do to make my hair forgive me? Like a clarifying, heat-recovering, moisture-restoring procedure? I know it'll be more that one thing, and I don't want to wash it like normal because, even diluted, my Dr. Bronners is too stripping to do more than once every 4-5 days.

Also, unfortunately, I'll have to wait to do all this until tomorrow evening at the earliest, more like Friday evening. I have to go out tomorrow and won't have time.

TBH Dr Bronners is as damaging as anything you've had done in the salon.
http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/curl-products/curlchemist-porosity-and-curly-hair?page=4

Rilig
September 6th, 2013, 07:10 PM
TBH Dr Bronners is as damaging as anything you've had done in the salon.
http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/curl-products/curlchemist-porosity-and-curly-hair?page=4

Well, if the main issue the writer has with Bronners is that it's alkaline, what if I neutralize it with diluted ACV (and a cold water rinse for good measure) to smooth the cuticle?

Rilig
September 6th, 2013, 07:15 PM
Hey ladies, just got out of the shower. Washed with Godfrey Fitzgerald clarifying shampoo. Gonna put a bit of coconut oil in once it dries a bit, then I might do a deep moisture treatment next week, around Wednesday. It's too soon to have to wash after a treatment, but I'm moving on Monday including a 8 hour flight, so I'll just keep it oiled and up/out of the way until I can do something deeper.

Any recommendations on a deep moisturize treatment? I'm liking Sakuraemily's (although, I don't know what SMT means) :

How about an SMT? People here have great results with it.
My personal favourite is this mask:
1/2 an avocado
olive oil- 6tbsp
1/2 cup yoghurt
Wash off with some very mild shampoo and condition.

Wildcat Diva
September 6th, 2013, 07:24 PM
Here's the SMT thread. It's wonderful, you might be surprised at the result.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=128

LaurelSpring
September 6th, 2013, 09:07 PM
I second the SMT which stands for Snowy's Moisture Treatment. Here is how I do it: I squirt at least a cup or more of cheap VO5 conditioner in a microwaveable container. Then I add some aloe vera gel and honey ( I would say about a TBSP of each) in there. I stir it and microwave it just enough to get it warm (maybe 10 seconds). I put it on my head and then put a shower cap over it (you could use saran wrap) and then a wool cap over that and keep it on at least an hour or as long as you can stand it. Then I just rinse it out really well. I have been putting it on dry hair and using it as a CO wash when I do it. I love the way it feels afterwards.

Firefox7275
September 7th, 2013, 05:48 AM
Well, if the main issue the writer has with Bronners is that it's alkaline, what if I neutralize it with diluted ACV (and a cold water rinse for good measure) to smooth the cuticle?

Did you read the link? Vinegar does not repair the damage done to skin or hair.