PDA

View Full Version : Well that didn't work!

spidermom
September 4th, 2013, 09:05 AM
This happened to me about half an hour ago. I finally completed a crown braid after several false starts. The braid itself looked fine - nice and even. But ick! It made the back of my head look flat, and I felt soooooooooooo old with it.

I realize this is highly subjective. If I hadn't been in such a hurry to take it out but had gotten a picture to post instead, I'm sure there are some who would say "oooh, so pretty!" But for me - total fail.

Have you ever taken more than your usual time to do a hair style, and although the style itself looked fine, you hated how it looked on you?

RedNymph
September 4th, 2013, 09:10 AM
LOL that's my life story in regards to my hair. Back when I had much longer hair, I had absolutely no idea how to do a fishtail braid properly. I would spend ages just trying to make it look neat, it would look fine, but I hated by stray layers that would poke out of the braid, I would seriously do it at a snail pace. Got wrist aches and everything.

dulce
September 4th, 2013, 10:42 AM
I've done styles that looked so good on others but sadly didn't look good on me.So,yep!!!

shutterpillar
September 4th, 2013, 11:05 AM
It's the same with me and the crown braid. I adore it on most other people, but it looks ridiculous on me. Maybe i'm just not doing it right.

neko_kawaii
September 4th, 2013, 11:12 AM
My hair is thinner in front than in back (always has been, don't worry) so crown braids look pretty pathetic on me. I love the look, but it just doesn't deliver when done with my hair.

AMD
September 4th, 2013, 11:33 AM
I too worked for so long to get a good crown braid, then didn't like the way it looked on me. At all. Lovely hairstyle, not for me.

MidnightHowl
September 4th, 2013, 11:40 AM
Mine was just a regular French braid, idk why my body just refused to cooperate but that took forever for me to learn. And then I realized that I hate the look of a single French braid on myself. I like it with other styles, but not alone. I'd hoped for a sporty/ more stable gym or strenuous activity look, but that just was not it.

spidermom
September 4th, 2013, 11:40 AM
It was pretty disappointing. Before I checked on how it looked, I was prepared to like it. It was comfortable, not pulling anywhere, not heavy. I thought "yes!" then went into the bathroom and picked up the mirror to check the back and immediately thought "no". I tried to talk myself out of that "no", then it became "hel no!"

jacqueline101
September 4th, 2013, 11:49 AM
Yes I have I hated the way my thin ends looked braided so I trimmed. It set me back on my goal but my ends are thicker and my braids look better. My braids with thin ends looked sickly.

kitschy
September 4th, 2013, 11:54 AM
I got my hair flat ironed once. It took probably 45 minutes. Everyone in the room oohed and aahed over the results, but to me my hair just looked thin and flat. Didn't like it at all (thank goodness because had I liked it I would have done it often and ruined my hair!)

KittyBird
September 4th, 2013, 11:59 AM
I can't do anything that involves putting hair on top of my head. Crown braids, milk-maid braids, and braids that start at the front of the hairline just make my already huge head look enormous. It looks ridiculous.

Peggy E.
September 4th, 2013, 12:11 PM
Mine was just a regular French braid, idk why my body just refused to cooperate but that took forever for me to learn. And then I realized that I hate the look of a single French braid on myself. I like it with other styles, but not alone. I'd hoped for a sporty/ more stable gym or strenuous activity look, but that just was not it.

What you might try is Heidi braids, or any other across/around the head braids, that are then either taped in place or are sewn. This holds it safe and secure forever and so comfortably you don't even know it's there. Great for the gym.

That said, I am constantly doing styles that I spend forever getting to work and then hating the look and out it goes. Then the frustration begins, as having decided on what I was doing that day, I manage to have no "go to" alternative. So I'm throwing together styles that actually end up looking worse than the original that I thought looked so bad in the first place.

It's often such a good thing that I don't really have to face the world with the mess I have on my head! :o(

But if I stick one of my gorgeous hair combs in, it will draw the eye away from the disaster!

BLove
September 4th, 2013, 12:40 PM
I find myself watching videos on YouTube and they look ok at first but by noon they are falling because my hair is to heavy and straight fot the style.

meteor
September 4th, 2013, 12:51 PM
A big factor here could be not being used to a new look. It may take a while before you figure out if it's objectively looking nice or not.

I'm sure I really don't like my hair with layers and straightened. I was told it looks great, but I hate how it looked on me. I had layers done multiple times and it took me years to grow them out, I just felt like somebody randomly pulled out chunks of my hair or I survived somebody attacking me with scissors. Layers look gorgeous on many women, but I like one length, non-choppy hair on myself.

door72067
September 4th, 2013, 01:10 PM
actually, that's the very reason I haven't even tried to do a crown braid....I think I'll feel *old* in it

which is odd, because when I see them on others, I think they look youthful and lovely

Jenny31557
September 4th, 2013, 01:43 PM
I'm kind of the opposite. I see some styles on YouTube and I think they wouldn't look good on me, but sometimes when I'm bored (at night, usually) I try them and I love how they look on me. Too bad it's usually at night though because then I have to take it down soon after and I can never get it to look the same again! :)

spirals
September 4th, 2013, 02:03 PM
It's so weird that a crown braid looks terrible with my bone structure, but I look cute in a topknot. Of course, I have to balance it out with HUGE hoop earrings because I have freakishly tiny ears and a small jaw. But a crown braid looks bad. I believe it's because the front hair is pulled straight up to the middle top of my head. With a topknot, it's a little more to the side, the temple area, if that makes sense. I haven't tried milkmaid braids. Maybe I'll do that today. But I believe it's all in which direction the root hair is going, when it comes to complimenting your bone structure.

schweedie
September 4th, 2013, 02:18 PM
Spidermom, I have the same thing with the crown braid. I love the style, but it just doesn't look good on me - I don't seem to have the face OR head shape for it. I was also really disappointed when I realised that, because finally pulling it off had been such a feat! But hey, my back is grateful that I'm no longer trying to make it work for me, so there's that. :P

proo
September 4th, 2013, 08:07 PM
I wear a crown braid alot and sometimes I feel grannyish -
but I'm a hot granny.

spirals
September 4th, 2013, 10:58 PM
Haha, proo! Hot as in good-lookin', or hot as in flashes? :p

Allychan
September 5th, 2013, 01:43 AM
Back in my early 20's I was dating a guy who was a hairdresser. For a short stint I had healthy waist length hair from benign neglect and using henna. Anyways, he spent an hour 'doing my hair' into a braid. But he started it too high and too tight. I looked like a conehead from the big bump on top of my head. My roommates loved it, I on the other hand hated it so I jumped straight in the pool and then took it out.:shrug:

Kittybird and I seem to have the same problem

stachelbeere
September 5th, 2013, 07:25 AM
yes! I don't think I look good with a crown braid either, I have the same problem with it - making my head super flat...

HylianGirl
September 5th, 2013, 08:17 AM
I also don't like crown braids on myself, feels like I have very little hair.... but half up crown braids are very cool ^-^

spidermom
September 5th, 2013, 09:13 AM
This morning I french-braided across the low back of my head, then through to the ends, looped the braid back on itself and across the top of my head. It's a crown braid/Heidi braids combination but looks all right. The back of my head doesn't look flat like it did with the full-on crown braid. Weird.