PDA

View Full Version : A very rough single strand of hair. Tips?

daredevil14
September 4th, 2013, 03:55 AM
Ok so my wavy/curly hair has been behaving very well lately after I really started to finally understand it. My curls are shiny and I am achieving a 5th-day hair! Only that I do of course lose some definition and get some flyaways but I also learned how to "revive it" a bit on the 3rd, 4th and 5th day by NEVER wetting the ends (especially the length and back area as the perfect ringlets will DO lose their shape if they get wet, and I learned how to keep them defined from day to day by properly sleeping) and by only re-wetting and re-conditioning some front strands.

Anyway, my real issue is with a strand of hair which is at the back of my hair (nape area?), it is usually very rough, full of knots and lots of fairy-tale knots as well! I noticed that if I re-wet it, condition it, oil it, gently untie all knots and (this is new for me) trimming these single fairy-tale knots, it - most of the time - refrizzes again and knots come back (especially the fairy ones)! How in the world is this possible? This is especially happening when it rubs with the t-shirt or shirt I am wearing, it also gets stuck in the ponytail. It does rarely form a great strand of ringlets sometimes! This is only visible when I wear my hair in a ponytail but I do tame it anyway. The thing is, almost all the rest of my hair is knots-free and smooth, it does form regular curly hair knots but they are very easy to untie.

Why can't this strand of hair just behave like the rest of my hair? Despite fairy knots and roughness, it is still gaining length!

Also can fairy-tale knots prevent oil, moisturize and all the "good stuff" to reach the ends of the hair?

Firefox7275
September 4th, 2013, 04:18 AM
Try not constantly rewetting that section, water can be damaging (hygral fatigue). Be sure you are rinsing it thoroughly when showering, build up of oils, butters and conditioners can cause tangling, you definitely can have too much 'good stuff'. Have you clarified that section of hair recently?

Nape hair can be finer than the rest of the head, you might give that section more hydrolysed protein than the rest of your head for strength and film forming. Are you using super gentle tools to secure your ponytail, can you do braids sometimes you don't overly stress that one section with the same style?

daredevil14
September 4th, 2013, 07:51 AM
Thanks for the answer. I'll definitely consider clarifying it with a SLS (since I don't have other gentler options), it's not an issue since it's only 1 strand of hair and it's hidden.

Yes, if properly conditioned, it does feel "fine" and more soft despite the overall roughness if I run my fingers on it. Yes, I weekly do a protein treatment and especially on that area, the treatment is a mask which has many proteins inside including a few hydrolysed ones. My hair is also on the coarser side although the strand itself is soft!

One more question, can fairy-tale knots prevent oil, moisturize and all the "good stuff" to reach the ends of the hair?

Panth
September 4th, 2013, 11:42 AM
This is especially happening when it rubs with the t-shirt or shirt I am wearing, it also gets stuck in the ponytail. It does rarely form a great strand of ringlets sometimes! This is only visible when I wear my hair in a ponytail but I do tame it anyway. The thing is, almost all the rest of my hair is knots-free and smooth, it does form regular curly hair knots but they are very easy to untie.

I think this is your answer. That bit is just in the right position, and is the right length, to tangle. It may grow out of it. Nape hairs often have this problem.

(Also, to answer your other question, I don't think fairy knots would block the action of "good stuff" - if they did, it would only be on the tiny bit of the surface that is on the inside of the knot.)

jacqueline101
September 4th, 2013, 12:04 PM
It could just be a wiry hair.

Kaelee
September 5th, 2013, 03:58 PM
Do you literally mean one single strand, or a section? If it's just a single strand that's particularly bothersome, honestly I'd just pluck it out. :lol:

If however it's a lock of hair/section of hair, I'd be tempted to blame rubbing on your shirt as well. It could just be that section at the back of your neck that's a different hairtype (I think everyone has this) and more fragile than the rest. I have no idea how this section of hair behaves on curly hair, mine is pretty straight.