PDA

View Full Version : Autumn Shedding? (WORRY)

kiezel
September 4th, 2013, 12:38 AM
My hair is growing quite quickly, a sign that it's healthy, but recently (in a week) almost ALL my previously dye damaged hairs fell out!

My hair has thinned almost by a third of it's volume last month and I am extremely worried...

I asked a few of my friends and they said it's normal to shed during spring and autumn, similar to how animals shed for winter and summer coats.

Aside from the shedding, the remaining hair is healthier than ever, I don't know what to think....thoughts, guys? :(

Firefox7275
September 4th, 2013, 06:49 AM
Could it be related to the stress and scalp issue you reported a couple of weeks ago? Have you changed anything in your haircare routine and lifestyle as a result of that last visit to the dermatologist? If this shed is not normal for you each year it would be wise to see your dermatologist again.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=114673

kiezel
September 4th, 2013, 07:50 AM
I honestly can't remember if I have it every year....but I recall it happening a few times.

I don't think it has anything to do with my sores, because those are localised, I actually only have 3. Worth thinking about though...

spidermom
September 4th, 2013, 09:14 AM
I often see people getting worked up about shedding. Maybe I've never experienced a truly alarming shed before; I don't know. I don't pay any attention to this at all other than occasionally (usually in the fall), sweeping up my hair from the bathroom floor after combing and thinking "holy moly; what a lot of hair!" Then I throw it away and get on with my life. At most, I will evaluate my health care habits and decide to change something.

There's truly no point in stressing over this, especially considering that stress can result in more hair shedding. You can't un-spill milk and you can't un-shed hairs. Just take good care of yourself - see a doctor if there are enough symptoms to warrant it - and your hair will be fine.

meteor
September 4th, 2013, 12:38 PM
I agree with Firefox, you need to see a dermatologist, and if everything is really OK with your scalp, have your blood work done, too. Maybe some underlying condition is causing this. Shedding a third of your hair is NOT normal during seasonal sheds. I'm shedding tons right now seasonally (I think), but if it was a third of all my hair, I'd be at the doctor's office, for sure.

I honestly can't remember if I have it every year....but I recall it happening a few times.

I don't think it has anything to do with my sores, because those are localised, I actually only have 3. Worth thinking about though...
Sorry, when one gets sores on scalp, one usually experiences significant shedding in those areas until the sores are healed. You need to heal the scalp, and new hair should grow back in place of shed hair.

PolarCathy
September 4th, 2013, 12:44 PM
I'm in OP's shoes, more than a third of my hair is gone, although not in one month (it's about two months by now). I've gone to the doc early into it when it was getting scary but only I could see it (yet), and after my first blood test came back "textbook perfect" I went back to another doc and am waiting for the (more detailed) results again.

A third of your hair is a LOT of hair to loose (ask me how I know). I don't think it's normal to loose that much hair, no, it's not a normal seasonal shed, and when people tell me it is, and it's no big deal, we all shed, dogs shed too, etc, I just shake my head :no: I suggest going to the doc asap.

cosmic crusader
September 4th, 2013, 01:10 PM
Aw, I have been experiencing the same phenomenon the past three weeks or so. I'm not sure how much my overall volume has been affected, but there has definitely been an increase in the shed hairs, of which several seem to have a larger bulb than I'm used to. What is that?? Scalp residue? Of course I'm worried :/

Google says it could be a seasonal shed. I also had a pretty stressful summer, which doesn't help. How is your iron? I recently started a meal replacement/multivitamin and began eating a serving of dried seaweed each day, which is high in hair-friendly nutrients.

I feel for you. I've been sad every time I've finger combed or showered :[

shutterpillar
September 4th, 2013, 01:27 PM
A third of your hair seems like quite a large amount to be a seasonal shed... I shed every year in the beginning of fall (in fact, I currently am going through a shed) and I don't lose anywhere near that amount of hair, though everyone IS different. Either way, I would go to the doctor about it and try to get the sores on your scalp taken care of. They could be a symptom of an underlying problem.

kiezel
September 4th, 2013, 11:35 PM
Thank you so much for your support, guys. -hugs- I cant properly quote people due to the device I'm on right now, but I firstly, i will try to stop stressing out that much. I'm going to try to set up an appointment to have a blood test done next week. I suddenly recall a close relative being anemic. It's just really boggling to me, because of how healthy the rest of my hair is. It's certainly not a happy thing to be going through. Overall, my body has been extremely stressed out from pollution since I moved overseas, I was sick with a terrible intestinal infection for nearly a year...

kiezel
September 4th, 2013, 11:41 PM
PolarCathy--
Im so sorry that youre going through a similar thing. I also want to say that amongst my health problems, Ive often encountered 'perfect' results on tests, and the doctors choose to ignore my blatantly obvious and REAL symptoms in lieu of some figures on paper. It's your body, and you know when there's something up. Keep you chin up, and dont give up until you find the source of the problem! -big hugs-

Firefox7275
September 5th, 2013, 06:18 AM
Thank you so much for your support, guys. -hugs- I cant properly quote people due to the device I'm on right now, but I firstly, i will try to stop stressing out that much. I'm going to try to set up an appointment to have a blood test done next week. I suddenly recall a close relative being anemic. It's just really boggling to me, because of how healthy the rest of my hair is. It's certainly not a happy thing to be going through. Overall, my body has been extremely stressed out from pollution since I moved overseas, I was sick with a terrible intestinal infection for nearly a year...

Your hair is dead, some of that has been growing for years, it won't be affected by something that is going on internally or on the scalp. What is your diet like, is it nutrient dense, varied and balanced? Have you been able to work on the damage from the gut infection with freeze dried probiotic capsules and long chain omega-3s from plenty of oily fish? An imbalance in the gut flora or damage to the gut lining can affect your ability to absorb or manufacture certain nutrients, also certain minerals/ electrolytes can get out of whack if you sweat or otherwise get dehydrated (as you would with a gut infection), I think I said on your other thread magnesium is particularly important in stress management. Not every deficiency or imbalance can be tested for.

kiezel
September 5th, 2013, 08:38 AM
Your hair is dead, some of that has been growing for years, it won't be affected by something that is going on internally or on the scalp. What is your diet like, is it nutrient dense, varied and balanced? Have you been able to work on the damage from the gut infection with freeze dried probiotic capsules and long chain omega-3s from plenty of oily fish? An imbalance in the gut flora or damage to the gut lining can affect your ability to absorb or manufacture certain nutrients, also certain minerals/ electrolytes can get out of whack if you sweat or otherwise get dehydrated (as you would with a gut infection), I think I said on your other thread magnesium is particularly important in stress management. Not every deficiency or imbalance can be tested for.

My diet was pretty bad a couple of months ago, to be honest I've only started being able to feed myself and digest normally for a bit over a month, I think. That is probably definitely a large part of the issue. I was in terrible physical condition all over for a long time, and I never got proper treatment for it, only partial. (incompetent medical care where I live..) Recently though, I've been trying to eat a balanced and rich diet. I cook everything myself.

Here's a sample day:
toast OR oatmeal + omelet
rice + tomatoes + drumstick
potato + broccoli + pork/chicken/beef

I get oily fish, usually saury, twice a week.

I'm also just beginning to add this soymilk that has iron and probiotics that encourages gut flora.

Am I missing something that's glaringly obvious? What I do know is that I used to have a sodium deficiency, which I've fixed in the last 6 months.

I didn't know about the Mg, I'll look into what foods are rich in it.

Thank you so much, Firefox!

PolarCathy
September 5th, 2013, 08:42 AM
I would stay FAR away from soymilk if I were you, that alone can cause all sorts of things in the human body....

kiezel
September 5th, 2013, 09:40 AM
I've been drinking soymiilk all my life, and it's the only thing other than milk that doesn't upset my stomach. I wish I liked milk more...
I also love love LOVE tofu.

Beborani
September 5th, 2013, 01:15 PM
There is hair loss and there is hair LOSS. It is sometimes hard go distinguish between the two when posters post here. Sme may have just started monitoring their hair growth patterns and start worrying about little things that have always been there/happening. And there is massive shed that doesnt stop for a while and significantly thins the hair and leaves gaps. I have experienced both, the significant one when very young and I encourage those who experience it to be persistent in seeking medical help. I did not and lived with 1/5 to 1/6 less hair for three decades and am growing it all back with minoxidil and wondering why I didnt do this before!