PDA

View Full Version : Will purple shampoo dye hair if left overnight on bleached hair?

ladyfenix
September 3rd, 2013, 07:38 PM
Hi, I'm new here and I have a couple questions about purple shampoo.

I want to grow my hair to HL and then ombre it myself with L'oreal's Wild Ombre. I've always wanted lavender hair but I didn't want to bleach my hair or anything. So I came up with ombre as an alternative so I would only lighten a small portion of my hair. However, I don't really want to buy purple dye because it would probably come out too dark. I know there's a way to dilute the dye for a more lavender look, but I'm just curious about purple shampoo. I read on somebody's blog that their hair came out barney purple after leaving it in too long, but that sounds like a huge exaggeration. Would it be too damaging to leave purple shampoo in my dyed hair overnight?

Sorry this post was really scattered, any information/experiences about purple shampoo would be greatly appreciated!

ejking2
September 3rd, 2013, 08:03 PM
Yes, I think it would be very damaging to both your hair and skin to leave the purple shampoo on overnight. If you're talking about Shimmer Lights, that stuff is really harsh! Why not just use Manic Panic or Special Effects dye and dilute it with conditioner if you want to make it more pastel? That would cause virtually no damage.

10000days
September 3rd, 2013, 08:07 PM
If you sleep in any kind of shampoo your hair will become horribly unmanageable and form dreadlocks. Don't do it.
You can buy purple toner (the conditioner sort; Swarzkopf sells one) and leave it on over night. If you hair is very bleached then you'll most definitely have lavender-toned hair but I suspect it will be a lavender colour tending to grey, not necessarily the pretty lavender sort. You might be better off buying an actual semi permanent lavender coloured cream.

AmyBeth
September 4th, 2013, 02:10 AM
Those so called "colored" shampoos are not very pigmented. They would not make much difference in the color, even if you did leave it in all night.

Firefox7275
September 4th, 2013, 05:12 AM
Hi, I'm new here and I have a couple questions about purple shampoo.

I want to grow my hair to HL and then ombre it myself with L'oreal's Wild Ombre. I've always wanted lavender hair but I didn't want to bleach my hair or anything. So I came up with ombre as an alternative so I would only lighten a small portion of my hair. However, I don't really want to buy purple dye because it would probably come out too dark. I know there's a way to dilute the dye for a more lavender look, but I'm just curious about purple shampoo. I read on somebody's blog that their hair came out barney purple after leaving it in too long, but that sounds like a huge exaggeration. Would it be too damaging to leave purple shampoo in my dyed hair overnight?

Sorry this post was really scattered, any information/experiences about purple shampoo would be greatly appreciated!

Welcome!

Leaving shampoo on overnight is damaging to both skin and hair: just use a lavender or purple semi permanent dye (Mani Panic, La Riche Directions), they are non damaging and you can dilute them with conditioner to achieve the shade you want. Loads of tutorials on YouTube showing how little dye to use for a pale shade.

spidermom
September 4th, 2013, 07:10 AM
Or see a hair stylist. I saw a woman at the salon this past Saturday with pretty lavender hair.

ladyfenix
September 4th, 2013, 09:50 AM
Thank you all so much for the advice! I'm gonna go with the dye and also get the purple shampoo just to tone my hair if I get tired of the purple lol

Panth
September 4th, 2013, 10:45 AM
Note: that pretty lavender shade is only achievable if you bleach to practically white, then use diluted purple deposit-only dye (Manic Panic or similar). Unless you naturally have white-blonde hair, you are not going to be able to achieve it without some serious bleach and thus some serious damage.

ladyfenix
September 4th, 2013, 03:36 PM
Note: that pretty lavender shade is only achievable if you bleach to practically white, then use diluted purple deposit-only dye (Manic Panic or similar). Unless you naturally have white-blonde hair, you are not going to be able to achieve it without some serious bleach and thus some serious damage.

Thanks for the tip - How would light purple look on light ash brown? Or should I just go with a darker purple/another color?

YamaMaya
September 4th, 2013, 03:54 PM
Purple shampoo is meant to fight off brassy tones and turn bleached hair into "ice blonde". It's not meant to dye your hair. I'd go with others and say use manic panic with conditioner.

battles
September 4th, 2013, 05:50 PM
Thanks for the tip - How would light purple look on light ash brown? Or should I just go with a darker purple/another color?

I managed a dark purple on my blonette/light ash color, but Atomic Pink from special effects dye (http://www.specialeffectsusa.com/hair_dye.html) showed up the best without any bleach.

Natalia
September 4th, 2013, 06:30 PM
First yes extremely damaging! Second there are many options outside of dye. Try hibiscus and bluberry juice on a test hair ball to see if you can get a purple you like. Or look at manic panic or similar veggie deposit dye

katiebeans
September 4th, 2013, 07:27 PM
I agree with everyone else, dilute some purple hair dye with conditioner. Manic Panic is pretty but I have used 'N Rage and it lasts a lot longer. Despite which brand you use, chances are you will only need SMALL amount of dye and lots of conditioner. Also, use silicone free conditioner. Supposedly the silicone coats your strands and prevents the dye from sticking better. V05 or suave naturals in coconut are good and cheap options. Alternatively, ion color brights also makes a pastel collection that won't need to be diluted.

Syaoransbear
September 4th, 2013, 09:35 PM
Use purple conditioner, not shampoo. I like AG Sterling Silver.

I have left purple conditioner in my hair overnight and it did end up being a sort of pastel purple color but it washed out very fast.

ladyfenix
September 15th, 2013, 05:48 AM
Thanks again all! I'll keep everything in mind when I get the chance to dye my hair! :)