PDA

View Full Version : Hair Routine Help: Healthy WL Here I Come!

Crumpet
September 3rd, 2013, 05:03 PM
Please help me think through my hair routine so I can achieve happy, healthy WL hair by the end of 2013!

Background:
I have fine hair that is i or ii in thickness. Its wavy but not curly and it holds waves well after buns or braids. I love the waviness in my hair! My hair has been rather dry over the past few years. I work outside in a desert for several months of the year and, until three weeks ago, my home base had really hard water. I also did highlights on my golden dark blonde hair, but I only did these every 6-9 months so I hope that they weren't too damaging. I've never used heat on my hair and I've been remarkably product-light. I switched to -cone free and sulfate free shampoos and conditioners some time ago. I've also been using small amounts coconut oil nearly every day for about two or three years now.

Now:
I wash every 4 days or so with -cone and sulfate free shampoo and condish and my city has soft water. I usually do a pre-poo treatment (SMT or extra coconut or other oil). I use a wide tooth comb and protective updos. I've picked up some CV shampoo bars to try. I've been using CV bars on my face for a while and I love them! I continue to use coconut oil in small amounts on my ends almost daily. I have silk and satin pillow cases and I just ordered a sleep cap, which should arrive soon.

Do you all have any suggestions for making my hair healthier (less dry!) and help it to increase thickness? I don't mind fairytale ends (I think they're pretty!) but I feel like I either have a lot of breakage or new growth, which means that I have a significant taper. I think my waves hide it, but I notice it and I want to bump my hair firmly into ii!!

AmyBeth
September 4th, 2013, 02:19 AM
It sounds like you have a really good routine. Maybe add in microtrims? If you just started this routine, it will take a few months to see results. You might also look into catnip rinses to help with any splits/breakage. Also check out the cassia threads. It might help bulk your hair up while helping to make it a little stronger and shinier.
I just received my first shampoo bar from CV yesterday. I can't wait to try it. I ordered the Marsh Mallow one.

Firefox7275
September 4th, 2013, 05:57 AM
Please help me think through my hair routine so I can achieve happy, healthy WL hair by the end of 2013!

Background:
I have fine hair that is i or ii in thickness. Its wavy but not curly and it holds waves well after buns or braids. I love the waviness in my hair! My hair has been rather dry over the past few years. I work outside in a desert for several months of the year and, until three weeks ago, my home base had really hard water. I also did highlights on my golden dark blonde hair, but I only did these every 6-9 months so I hope that they weren't too damaging. I've never used heat on my hair and I've been remarkably product-light. I switched to -cone free and sulfate free shampoos and conditioners some time ago. I've also been using small amounts coconut oil nearly every day for about two or three years now.

Now:
I wash every 4 days or so with -cone and sulfate free shampoo and condish and my city has soft water. I usually do a pre-poo treatment (SMT or extra coconut or other oil). I use a wide tooth comb and protective updos. I've picked up some CV shampoo bars to try. I've been using CV bars on my face for a while and I love them! I continue to use coconut oil in small amounts on my ends almost daily. I have silk and satin pillow cases and I just ordered a sleep cap, which should arrive soon.

Do you all have any suggestions for making my hair healthier (less dry!) and help it to increase thickness? I don't mind fairytale ends (I think they're pretty!) but I feel like I either have a lot of breakage or new growth, which means that I have a significant taper. I think my waves hide it, but I notice it and I want to bump my hair firmly into ii!!

Alkaline soap is damaging to both skin and hair http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/curl-products/curlchemist-porosity-and-curly-hair?page=4

Fine and damaged hair tends to do well with hydrolysed protein and can confer both strength and volume, maybe try a conditioner with that in? Other ingredients beneficial for damaged or colour treated hair include ceramides, 18-MEA, and panthenol. Several of these four are weak humectants so help the hair hold the right amount of water. I particularly like Komaza Care Matani repair treatment spray (ceramides protein panthenol), I haven't used it but Scientific Essentials hair conditioner looks very interesting (18-MEA protein panthenol).

Coconut oil is a wonderful ingredient for reducing porosity and increasing elasticity but it absolutely can be overused, and some report dry feeling, tangly or crispy hair. Also overusing the more potent humectants (glycerin, propylene glycol, honey, aloe) can be counter productive by attracting too much water to the hair or attracting water out of the hair, depending on dew points/ humidity and porosity. Both hydrolysed protein and coconut oil can protect hair from bleach damage.

Are you religiously protecting your hair from UV damage? Bleached hair is especially vulnerable. If you are not a UV Buff or two might be worth investing in.

spidermom
September 4th, 2013, 06:33 AM
It's a good idea to use a clarifying shampoo from time to time. I use it about every 2 months. Residue from conditioner, oil, and other products can build up on your hair. When my hair gets dry and tangly, a clarifying wash from scalp to tip ends usually brings it back to baseline.

Pay attention to the above link regarding alkaline products. Not a good idea - really.

Crumpet
September 4th, 2013, 10:02 AM
Thanks for the feedback -- especially regarding the soaps! I hadn't thought about that so I'm glad I asked and you all responded!

I'll start to throw in some microtrims as well, thanks AmyBeth. I had my last trim in May so I'll wait a bit longer (my ends look good) but that's a great idea. So is Cassia and catnip. I've been looking at both for a while and it might be time to take the plunge.

Firefox7275 -- thanks for all of your expertise! Its good to hear from you (I always appreciate your posts!). I use only a tiny amount of coconut oil when I use it and it seems fully absorbed when I apply again. I'll try to reduce it though...it just feels so nice on my length! I'm pretty good about protecting my hair. When I'm in the desert it is always in updos and under a UV hat. In normal life I always where a good UV hat when I go running (I run a lot) in order to protect my hair. I'll definitely look into that conditioner you suggest -- it looks amazing!

Spidermom -- thanks for the clarifying shampoo reminder. I always forget about those!

jacqueline101
September 4th, 2013, 12:09 PM
Sounds good to me you can use Monistat to boost growth.