PDA

View Full Version : My new an improved hair routine! What do ya think?

Nadine <3
September 3rd, 2013, 04:35 PM
Hi all!

So in my journey to long healthy hair I've changed up what I've been doing to it. Feel free to offer more advice or tips :)

Before: Wash every day with whatever shampoo was cheap and smelled good in boiling lava hot water, towel dry with my head hanging upside down, blow it dry while brushing it out upside down. (gave great volume at least...)

Now: Wash every three days in warm water, using diluted Tresseme and the matching conditioner. Apply argon oil while hair is damp, Deep condition using honey once a week. No heat styling, no towel drying. I don't brush through it until its mostly dry. Two french braids to sleep in and a bit of argon oil on the ends. I give myself scalp rubs once a day to try and move the oils through my hair and to my ends as well.

I want to try coconut oil but the only stuff I can find around here costs 12 bucks! I can't afford that, I'm a starving college student! lol

Sound good?
THANKS!
Nadine

sarahthegemini
September 3rd, 2013, 04:46 PM
Sounds good to me! I'm curious as to why the coconut oil is so expensive though? Have you tried supermarkets? It's usually in the ethnic food sections.

hafattack
September 3rd, 2013, 04:47 PM
hopefully you will see some good results and some healthier hair!

Nadine <3
September 3rd, 2013, 04:49 PM
The only store I have near me is a little Market. I live on campus, and parking around here is terribly expensive so I don't even have a car, I just walk everywhere. If I wanted to go to Walmart or any other super market I would have to walk along the free way lol

stephy190
September 3rd, 2013, 04:50 PM
Hi all!

So in my journey to long healthy hair I've changed up what I've been doing to it. Feel free to offer more advice or tips :)

Before: Wash every day with whatever shampoo was cheap and smelled good in boiling lava hot water, towel dry with my head hanging upside down, blow it dry while brushing it out upside down. (gave great volume at least...)

Now: Wash every three days in warm water, using diluted Tresseme and the matching conditioner. Apply argon oil while hair is damp, Deep condition using honey once a week. No heat styling, no towel drying. I don't brush through it until its mostly dry. Two french braids to sleep in and a bit of argon oil on the ends. I give myself scalp rubs once a day to try and move the oils through my hair and to my ends as well.

I want to try coconut oil but the only stuff I can find around here costs 12 bucks! I can't afford that, I'm a starving college student! lol

Sound good?
THANKS!
Nadine

Hey :) I wouldnt use honey to deep condition, its very thick and heavy on its own! I would go for coconut oil or almond oil instead! It would be much lighter and wouldnt weigh down your hair and coconut oil is the best oil for penetration and its great for deep conditioning or just 15 mins before shampooing. Every 3 days washing sounds good! And instead of a brush just get a wide tooth comb so the hair shaft doesnt get damaged with a brush . Good luck with your hair journey! :)xx

sarahthegemini
September 3rd, 2013, 05:15 PM
Hey :) I wouldnt use honey to deep condition, its very thick and heavy on its own! I would go for coconut oil or almond oil instead! It would be much lighter and wouldnt weigh down your hair and coconut oil is the best oil for penetration and its great for deep conditioning or just 15 mins before shampooing. Every 3 days washing sounds good! And instead of a brush just get a wide tooth comb so the hair shaft doesnt get damaged with a brush . Good luck with your hair journey! :)xx

I would say use honey but add it with some conditioner so it's easier to distribute. Perhaps even some AVG, results will depend on how your hair reacts to humectants though. Also, I don't think coconut oil penetrates the hair shaft in just 15 minues? Correct me if i'm wrong though ...

melusine963
September 3rd, 2013, 05:18 PM

Actually, honey is a key ingredient in many moisure treatments. You warm it up so it's runny, and mix it with conditioner and aloe (I don't remember the exact proportions, but there are different recipes). Honey is a huectant, meaning it will draw moisture from the rest of the treatment into your hair.

Nadine <3
September 3rd, 2013, 07:47 PM
I love using honey :) I mix it up with my Burts Bees conditioner and slather it in my hair, then I sit and watch netflix for and hour with a shower cap on while my roommate laughs at me. Then I shower. It makes my hair SOOOOO soft and shiny!

Maybe I can get my mom to check walmart for coconut oil for me then come for a visit lol Hmmm...

jacqueline101
September 3rd, 2013, 09:52 PM
Sounds like a good routine to me.

Deekers
September 4th, 2013, 12:02 AM
in boiling lava hot water

Nadine

I just had to comment that when I read this part of the OP, I laughed out loud. ;) hilarious

coffinhert
September 4th, 2013, 12:49 AM
Might be $12 but Coconut oil will last you for YEARS... I have this one (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000Q43UTS/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1) and it's taken me two years to use 1/10th of the bottle, putting it on my ends almost every day.

Firefox7275
September 4th, 2013, 06:41 AM
Hi all!

Sound good?
THANKS!
Nadine

Try Asian grocery stores for well priced refined coconut oil or order from eBay or Amazon, you don't need fancy virgin stuff for dead hair. If you have porous hair it's worth it's weight in gold anyway, don't bother if you have low porosity, and a tub will last ages. Should be cheaper and better penetrating than argan oil - you could economise on the argan oil by using a cheaper oil rich in the 'active' component oleic acid (olive, avocado, sweet almond, canola, etc).

Honey is not a deep conditioner it's a potent humectant and slightly acidic so may help the cuticle lay flat, by all means use it as an ingredient but it's not penetrating and cannot be classed as conditioning when used alone. If you have fine hair or damage you might do a hydrolysed protein treatment, gelatin is easy to get and cheap. Another way to save money is to use your conditioner as a leave in instead of a wash out, many conditioners lend themselves to that - you use much less and don't need to oil afterwards. L'Oreal Elvive Full Restore 5 conditioner has surprisingly decent ingredients for the price: hydrolysed protein, ceramides, palm oil, water soluble silicone.

mscm
September 20th, 2013, 12:00 PM
Your routine sounds much better now! I have to try the honey thing:) cheap virgin cocomut oilmyou can actuallynfind at iherb.com :) you can find anything at iherb! You can use this giftcode for upto 10% discount: and here is all of their coconut oils and other coconutstuff :) http://www.iherb.com/search?kw=coconut+oil&x=0&y=0

mscm
September 20th, 2013, 12:02 PM
Oh, sorry for all the wrong spelling! I use my mothers ipad and I am not used to it yet :rolleyes:

sandigrl117
September 20th, 2013, 12:43 PM
I think Amazon would be your best friend to find coconut oil that's affordable. I got this one (http://www.amazon.com/Nutiva-Organic-Extra-Virgin-Coconut-Ounce/dp/B004NTCE1M/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1379702414&sr=8-3&keywords=nutiva+coconut+oil) for $7.50 (though it was an add-on item to an order...) My hair loves it.