PDA

View Full Version : Calling all WEIRD SLEEPERS!

LAG93
September 3rd, 2013, 02:59 PM
Hello everyone! So I know that it is a basic fact on lhc that sleeping on cotton pillowcases with your hair down is a no no. But for those of us that..lets say..sleep like vampires, is it that big of an issue? I literally wake up everyday in the exact same position I went to sleep in...so I never saw the point in investing in nice pillow cases or putting the time in to put my hair up and be uncomfortable!

If you are a vampire sleeper, or a toss and turner, what are your experiences with the pros of silk pillowcases/sleep caps and wearing hair up?

YamaMaya
September 3rd, 2013, 03:01 PM
I am the worst for tossing and turning. Poor hubby, I'll snuggle up to him one minute then push him off the bed the next. I must be so difficult to sleep next too :lol:.

LAG93
September 3rd, 2013, 03:04 PM
That is hilarious! Has he ever grabbed your hair as a reflex for not falling off the bed?!

Lady Mary
September 3rd, 2013, 03:04 PM
Ugh, I sleep so weird. Always tossing and turning, sometimes my knees are bent, sometimes not, legs crossed, crazy stuff. I wish I could sleep still, even tried to teach myself to years ago but it never worked. I'm sure I am ruining my hair because of it.

sarahthegemini
September 3rd, 2013, 03:05 PM
I toss and turn so much, and I've found success with wearing a sleep cap. My hair never really tangled when I wore it loose and free but I worried about friction damage.

YamaMaya
September 3rd, 2013, 03:11 PM
That is hilarious! Has he ever grabbed your hair as a reflex for not falling off the bed?!

Haha, no, I think that would be more than his life is worth :twisted:

hafattack
September 3rd, 2013, 03:13 PM
Toss and turner here, cotton pillowcase. I have been putting my hair in a bun on the very top of my head with a fork but I am switching to spin pins because I toss the fork out in the middle of the night. I never had a good experience with slick pillow cases because my head slips right off. If I wear it in a bun during the night, I dont have any problems with tangles or dryness in the morning, so I'm not going to mess with an apparently winning system :)

LAG93
September 3rd, 2013, 03:17 PM
YamaMaya I know what you mean! Men know the wrath they release when they pull, mess up, sit on, step on, or rip our hair!

YamaMaya
September 3rd, 2013, 03:19 PM
YamaMaya I know what you mean! Men know the wrath they release when they pull, mess up, sit on, step on, or rip our hair!

Yes, totally :hifive:

LAG93
September 3rd, 2013, 03:21 PM
hafattack that is great! I've tried the bun thing but I find it tangles more than when I leave it loose, since I don't move, and then my hair looks bad in the morning from the bun kinks and waves

Night_Kitten
September 3rd, 2013, 03:22 PM
I toss and turn all through the night, so when my hair started wrapping around my arms, neck and head I started braiding it for sleep, and then "upgraded" to a folded braid... Even with a regular pillowcase I found a braid does wonders for my hair - no more crazy tangles or waking up in the middle of the night all wrapped in hair like a cocoon, LOL :D
Sleep caps never worked for me - they fell off my head after the first 2-3 tosses/turns... I keep meaning to try silk pillowcases, but after 2 and a half years I still haven't :rolleyes:

If you don't toss or turn at night, then there shouldn't be any friction as your head and hair don't move on the pillow, and therefore there shouldn't be mechanical damage, so I'd say in your case sleeping with the hair loose and not bothering with silk pillowcases isn't an issue :)

hafattack
September 3rd, 2013, 03:23 PM
There are definitely disadvantages.. I hated the lump feeling, which is when I started wearing it right on the top of my head (looks ridiculous). My SIL is knee length and wears her hair in an english braid everynight. Her hair is in great condition.

stachelbeere
September 3rd, 2013, 03:25 PM
my fav position is on my belly... <3 I also wake up that way.

hafattack
September 3rd, 2013, 03:27 PM
my fav position is on my belly... <3 I also wake up that way.

Me too! I like using my arm under my pillow, and almost face down in the pillow

woodswanderer
September 3rd, 2013, 03:28 PM
Vampire sleeper here! :pumpkin: I put my loose hair out to the side, and since I almost always stay put, tangles aren't an issue at night. I tried a satin pillowcase once, but it didn't seem worth the trouble. I couldn't possibly sleep with my hair in a bun.

LAG93
September 3rd, 2013, 03:33 PM
Vampire sleeper here! :pumpkin: I put my loose hair out to the side, and since I almost always stay put, tangles aren't an issue at night. I tried a satin pillowcase once, but it didn't seem worth the trouble. I couldn't possibly sleep with my hair in a bun.

I don't notice tangles either I sleep the same way. But I do have some damage, like mostly on my ends, but I doubt that that is from the cotton pillowcase? I want to get rid of damage but I really don't want to switch my sleep routine, I'd sweat up a storm on silk!

millyaulait
September 3rd, 2013, 03:34 PM
I don't so much toss & turn as sort of.... flip myself over. It's as if I can't be bothered to move my arms. I am like a flopping fish out of water, just flipping from side to side throughout the night, always taking the covers with me.

My boyfriend hates me.... :lol:

(I keep my hair in a topknot for sleeping & I have no damage from the hairstyle or the flipping!)

TiaKitty
September 3rd, 2013, 03:37 PM
I am an extremely active sleeper. Arms and legs everywhere, sheets torn off the bed. I usually sleep with my hair in a bee-butt-ish bun high on my head, using amish pins. Sometimes I wear twin english braids, but they pull and become uncomfortable part way through the night. If I have a terrible migraine, I have to wear it down. It tangles right around the middle from the ears to the shoulders; plus it is hot and uncomfortable that way.

Marbid
September 3rd, 2013, 03:40 PM
Hello. I'm a fighter in my sleep. I kick and push and shove and claim the whole bed for myself. According to the husband anyhow. (I'm sure he exaggerates some of the stuff). I sleep with a silk handkerchief wrapped around my head and kept in place with bobby pins and a rubber band. Stays on thru out all my kickboxing sleeping. Hair on a bun thou. I could not possibly sleep with my hair loose. Too many curls, way too many. I used to sleep with my hair loose and wet and let my tossing style it for a bed head style. lol. But the tangles would take hours to finger comb thru. So bun and handkerchief it is now.

stachelbeere
September 3rd, 2013, 03:50 PM

yes! that's exactly how I sleep! With my cheek on the pillow :)

luster
September 3rd, 2013, 04:00 PM
I am the queen of tossing and turning. Sometimes I even roll off my bed. I've been sleeping with the satin bonnet on it for a few years and its been a whole new world for me. I just wake up and take my hair out of the bonnet and it looks the same as how it did the day before or whatever. The con is it looks pretty unattractive when you have it on, not seductive at all.

LAG93
September 3rd, 2013, 04:12 PM
These comments are all hilarious!

Jenny31557
September 3rd, 2013, 05:11 PM
I think the main reason people here reccommend a silk or satin pillowcase is because I've heard that a cotton pillowcase sucks moisture out of your hair.

PrincessIdril
September 3rd, 2013, 05:17 PM
Not sure how much I toss and turn (ah the benefits of sleeping alone, more space in the bed and no one to complain! lol) while asleep but I sure as hell fidget a lot when I'm settling down to sleep.
I keep my hair in a regular English braid and use a cotton pillowcase and I think my hair is doing ok :) I refuse to get a silk pillowcase as it won't match my duvet cover and my perfectionist nature means that everything must match! I'm also very temperature sensitive when I sleep and I have a feeling that a sleep cap would make me too hot so that option is out to!

Magalo
September 3rd, 2013, 05:26 PM
I fell asleep on a lot of different positions (everything is comfortable lol) but I almost always wake up laying on my back, legs straight, with my hands crossed over my stomach. Like if I was dead. LOL. My father do the same. I guess it's not very damageable for the hair.

me every morning
http://content.cdlib.org/ark:/13030/kt929023t1/hi-res.jpg

leslissocool
September 3rd, 2013, 05:30 PM
Weird sleeper check in!

I sleep like the dead! No, seriously, I don't move after I fall asleep and me breathing gets really slow. I also talk during my sleep, I tried the sleep training for Latin and I often freak out and speak/shout in Latin when I sleep. It freaks people out, specially DH, the contrast between being so still and then freaking out in an obscure language just gets him scared :lol:.

sparrowswing
September 3rd, 2013, 05:53 PM
I toss and turn constantly, yet my hair doesn't tangle so badly while down. I think it's a combination of it finally being long enough that it mostly behaves and the fact that even in my sleep I tend to maneuver it whenever I move. I almost always leave it down if it's still wet or even damp when I go to bed, so it can finish drying.

If I put my hair in a braid before bed, I get awful tangles at the back of my head. French braids help this, but the bump on the back of my head bothers me and wakes me up then. Still, sometimes I sleep with my hair braided just out of habit.

If I use a satin pillowcase, the pillow disappears in the middle of the night. If I use a sleep cap, it slips off either entirely or about halfway, causing weird bumps and kinks in my hair. The only real way to keep my hair out of the way and tangle-free is with a nautilus bun on top of my head, but about 10% of the time it falls out at some point during the night and needs redone, no matter how well I secure it initially. A braided nautilus has a higher success rate, about 98%, but leaves my hair a bushy mess that's almost impossible to work with the next day.

So really I just change things up from night to night and hope for the best.

Wasy
September 3rd, 2013, 06:03 PM
i seriously can't be doing with the silk pillowcase thing. I find them seriously uncomfortable and they make my hair go static which drives me nuts. To be honest i don't think it makes that much of a difference anyway, as long as your hair is healthy

LAG93
September 3rd, 2013, 07:43 PM
I'm glad to hear it is not just me who sleeps like a vampire! And finds no need for silk pillowcases....

Still maybe I will give them a try and see if there is any difference...but I can't see paying 70 bucks for a pillowcase!

Squiggy
September 3rd, 2013, 07:56 PM
I would have to sleep on satin sheets, not just a pillowcase. Because I spend most of the night sleeping about halfway down the bed, on my stomach, with my feet and ankles hanging off the end. No kidding. The rest of the night I pretty much toss and turn.

A single braid usually works for me, since I rarely sleep on my back (yet do sleep in every other position imaginable).

ProverbsGirl
September 3rd, 2013, 09:28 PM
I only have a couple positions that i really sleep in at night. However, i co sleep with my toddler, and she is a crazy sleeper some nights. she likes torun me out of bed some nights.
If I have just washed my hair that night..I will do two braids. If it is second night hair..it right goes on top of my head in a top knot/bun or back into two braids.
Now that it is getting longer it is a mess and feels very dirty when i leave it loose at night.

jacqueline101
September 3rd, 2013, 09:47 PM
I toss and turn then fall asleep. It's like I have to get comfortable to sleep. I use a cotton pillow case. I do wear my hair up in a sleeping cap.

Kome
September 3rd, 2013, 10:29 PM
It is a must that I wear my hair up. Otherwise, I will wake up with my hair is a giant tangle mated ball. Okay, it's not that bad, but it's bad. I have mine in little braids right now, but I usually do a bun or a single braid. The braid can get in the way too though. I'd rather sleep with it down, but it gets in the way because I toss and turn a lot too.

lillithnight
September 4th, 2013, 12:28 AM
I wake up to move. I've also been known to hog blankets, nuzzle into my gfs back till were in the same position, have my arm slung across her back, or turn around and sleep on the other of the bed. I've been keeping it in an english braid to sleep and doesn't look as crazy as it use to. Id say skip the pillow case, I wrap a satin scarf over my normal pillow case and call it a night.

Darkessa
September 4th, 2013, 12:48 AM
I almost ALWAYS wake up either just in the morning, or several times throughout the night, with ENTIRELY numb limbs...
Usually one of my arms, but a leg has betrayed me a few times as well.

Im pretty sure its just how I end up primarily on top of an arm, or angled all sorts of wrong....
Its pretty great.
Waking up thinking you lost an arm in the night.
Almost unable to move due to the fact that you cant push yourself upright with your arm... Because its DEAD.

Yeah. Haha.
Pretty awesome. :P

Sweet_Decadence
September 4th, 2013, 01:36 AM
Lots of tossing and turning here, I'm a terrible sleeper. I wear my hair in a bun right on top of my head. For the most part, this has been effective and I don't wake up with tangles however, I am finding that the finer hair on the edge of my hairline is suffering for it and has become very damaged. Regardless of anything else in my hair routine.

So, I will try satin pillowcases since I'm convinced having that finer hair exposed while i toss and turn at night is a a part of the problem.

TheVegan6
October 5th, 2013, 03:05 PM
I sleep with my face under my pillow, and the pillow is often under 1 or more cats. But for some reason I can breathe while sleeping!:magic:

Unzadi
October 5th, 2013, 07:02 PM

Same here. One arm under pillow, one under, um, the girls, face turned enough to the side to not be breathing in my pillowcase, and I'm out. Flannel pillowcase and sheets now that it's fall, and hair in braid or loose bun.

WilfredAllen
October 5th, 2013, 07:28 PM
cotton seems to dry my hair out, even cotton scrunchies, so that's why I started sleeping on satin instead

door72067
October 5th, 2013, 08:24 PM
I've been told I am a *violent* sleeper...always use cotton pillowcases...only braid my hair on really warm nights (and, in fact, notice more issues with my hairline hair when I do this than when I sleep with it loose)

lately, my dusting-waist length hair has been trying to strangle me in my sleep...maybe it's trying to tell me something?

also, I'm a tummy-sleeper

Saldana
October 5th, 2013, 08:53 PM
I am a very mobile, 'starfish' style side and tummy sleeper, and do best sleeping alone, even when I have a romantic partner. :) That being said, I have used satin pillow cases for years, and cotton ones feel scratchy to me now. When my hair was long, I wore it in a single French braid every night. I tried a satin sleep cap a couple of times, I couldn't make it work for me.

nuvola
October 5th, 2013, 09:08 PM
Haha I so totally understand you all :D :D
I am everything but not a vampire sleeper. So: toss and turner plus cotton pillowcase :wannabe:
I make a braid every night because it hurts really much when my husband is lying on my hair or (that really happened!) my cats start to play with it :p

0xalis
October 6th, 2013, 12:00 AM
I only toss and turn when I'm awake, most of the time! I do wake up a lot in the middle of the night for a few min each though. I almost always wake up in the position I actually fell asleep in, but during the process of trying to fall asleep I'm tossing and turning all over the place!

Crumpet
October 6th, 2013, 12:51 AM
I'm a serious tosser-turner-get-upper. I wear a sleep cap and it makes everything better. If you don't move much and your hair seems fine, then don't worry about it too much!

stachelbeere
October 6th, 2013, 02:09 AM
I sleep with my face under my pillow, and the pillow is often under 1 or more cats. But for some reason I can breathe while sleeping!:magic:

adorable! <3

Stray_mind
October 7th, 2013, 07:59 AM
Just like emilylightning i toss around only when i'm trying to fall asleep. Must be because my bed is not the most comfortable. Good thing i have my satin pillowcase and blanket.

höpönasu
October 7th, 2013, 08:16 AM
I once pushed my hubby off the bed. But that was on purpose because he was snoring. I didn't mean to åush him off the edge, just give a little nudge. That was unusual because he always sleeps next to wall. Apart from that, I'm pretty much vampire sleeper.

Bagginslover
October 7th, 2013, 08:35 AM
I toss and turn, and wear a sleep cap. I've learned to roll my head, and not to slide it, that way my cap doesn't come off ;)

Emanuelle
October 7th, 2013, 08:43 AM
I toss and turn. I use a silk pillowcase. I've noticed I've gotten less tangles since I started sleeping on a silk pillow case. :) I have more tangles when I'm at my boyfriend's, where I sleep on a cotton pillow case.

I never wear my hair up when I sleep though.

But lately, as it's getting longer, it's getting more and more in the way - especially when I'm with my boyfriend - so I'm thinking I should start wearing silk bonnet, or maybe put my hair in a simple ponytail.

Ms. Littlefish
October 7th, 2013, 08:47 AM
I'm a full blown sleep walker and I do it often. My SO doesn't even get spooked by it anymore. So I move a lot in my sleep. Even if I don't sleep walk on a given night, I usually end up kicking all the blankets and pillows off the bed. Sleeping caps almost always fall my head. Fancy pillow cases would probably be more useless. I'm thinking sheets would do me good but with my nocturnal movements I'm afraid I may just slide off the bed.

And yes, I've had several sleep studies. They say I'm normal, but heh.

breezefaerie
October 7th, 2013, 09:58 AM
I sleep all over the bed, flailing about as I go.
Satin pillowcase with a topknot works for me.

TrapperCreekD
October 7th, 2013, 10:15 AM
Wow, this is a really interesting thread! I sleep on my side and sometime during the night I roll over and face the the other way. I toss and turn if I'm uncomfortable but I'm not a super active sleeper, at least I don't think so :shrug: I love my cotton pillowcase and I've always slept on loose hair (it's never tried to attack me or strangle me, though) but since finding LHC I've been making an effort to leave my hair up for bed.

velorutionista
October 7th, 2013, 11:38 AM
I toss and turn a bit, and pretty much have to sleep with my hair in a braid...if I leave it loose, hubby rolls over on it, and if I put it in a bun on top of my head, the cat pounces on it (why? why? why?!) all night! So french or dutch braid for my own sanity!

LAG93
October 8th, 2013, 12:38 PM
So this past month or so, since I have moved away to school, I have noticed a lot of thinning on the edges of my hair, like my temples and whatnot, also refer breakage. At home like I said I don't move, but I think with the new positioning of my bed not being able to be against the wall it must make me nervous or something because I wake up and my blankets have slid down my bed and my pillow has slid up, even though I myself wake up in the same position still. I've been having shedding in general what with fall and the stress of starting life at a new place, but I think maybe I rub around at night..as weird as that sounds, while staying in the same position. So I got a satin pillowcase, I'll see how it does and then maybe I'll invest in a good silk one. The satin one was only four bucks at KMart...so I got two. I was surprised it was so cheap compared to silk!

spirals
October 8th, 2013, 04:43 PM
I think it would be fairly easy to make a satin pillowcase. You only have to sew straight lines. But I like how cotton feels on my face. I start out on my side and end up on my back. I don't know what happens in between, but throughout my life I've been known to sleepwalk, sleeptalk, have night terrors, etc. My braids are fuzzy and my hair tangled most every morning.

MidnightSunlite
October 8th, 2013, 06:43 PM
Hmm I been a vampire a few times, but I'm one of those cuddlers LOL I will push myself upon you hug you in my sleep.. if you pull away I will follow lol.

I have slept on a satin case, it was marvelous but LOL the first time I got it, I woke up with it on the floor.. it just slipped off the bed I guess. I had a satin cap, first day that slipped right off too. But I like them even though I don't use them anymore really.

Ashflower89
October 8th, 2013, 06:50 PM
I flail around a lot, and shove my face into my pillow. I'm brand new to the site and just now bought a satin hair cap, and I can already see a difference. I didn't wake up with a rats nest :P

beautifulending
October 9th, 2013, 09:14 PM
I'm a stomach sleeper so I make sure to move my hair to the side and its usually not tangled when I wake up but as far as sleeping with silk pillow cases I just don't care......I like my neon pink cotton pillow cases. lol

Sakuracha
October 9th, 2013, 09:17 PM
One vote for being a toss and turner while sleeping. I use a sleeping cap, it helps kept things contained a lot. When hair is in cap it doesn't attack or get attacked by fiance or kitties.

caren
October 10th, 2013, 08:39 PM
I flip like a fish until I fall asleep. Satin pillowcases were nice, but they coated with my hair oil and then, as I would turn into my stomach with cheek on oily pillowcases, give me wicked acne. I wear a sleep cap most nights and love it.

Neneka
October 11th, 2013, 04:24 AM
I sleep like a vampire too. I wake up to change my position if I need to and immediately fall back to sleep too. I like to sleep on my back but very often I experience sleep paralysis that way so I usually I just sleep on my side. My cat has developed a habit of sleeping on me. Usually on my legs. I think it's because I don't move. He never sleeps on my SO. Couple of days ago my both arms were numb when I woke up because he slept on them.

I use cotton pillow cases and I haven't noticed damage. I love my pillow cases too much to give up with them anyway! They contain nice memories of people who gave them to me and those I bought myself remind me of happy and exciting times. I can remember how I got each one. There was one set of sheets that I hated though because one of my exes used to sleep with them when he was visiting me and things with him ended badly so I agreed with my SO that we gave those sheets away. :lol: Usually I hate throwing things away because it's like throwing those memories away.

MidnightSunlite
October 11th, 2013, 01:22 PM
Oh! Neneka, your just like me.. if I sleep on my back I'll get sleep paralysis and that's no fun at all :[

magfish
October 18th, 2013, 04:27 PM
I'm still trying to decide if it's a worthwhile investment. I think my hair was nicer when I used a satin-ish scarf over my pillow, because I toss and turn a LOT, but I split my nights between my place and my partners, and I doubt he'd understand me trying to buy him pillowcases, and then is it worth it if I only do it half the time?? I sleep with my hair in true unicorn-fashion in a pony on the top of my head but it tends to all get pulled out when I sleep anyways...