PDA

View Full Version : I can't NOT wash my hair every day...

goldcopperbrown
September 3rd, 2013, 02:23 PM
I know most of the girls here wash their hair only every other day, or less often than that...but I'm starting to think this isn't an option for me, unless I only wear my hair up (and when I only wear my hair in a bun, my self esteem suffers...I just don't look good that way at all, and I feel matronly and de-sexualized).

I don't use sulfates or silicones usually, but is there any conceivable way that it can be OK for me to wash my hair every day or close to it? If I co-wash every other day, will that help? I just need SOME kind of water on my hair every day (although washing with water alone does not work for me...I'm an oily person all over).

If I use oils or deep condition regularly, will this counter-act the drying effect of shampoo?

woodswanderer
September 3rd, 2013, 02:31 PM
I washed my hair every day for most of my life....and I used cones and sls. And hey, it looked really good. Don't feel like you are obligated to do something you don't want to because it is popular on the forum. I don't wash it every day anymore, but that is more because I am embracing the convenience of washing every couple days and trying to minimize shedding. I try different techniques from the forum all the time. Some I stick with, and some I decide aren't for me.

raingirl
September 3rd, 2013, 02:39 PM
I wash daily. I just do a light scrub with a small dab (size of a quarter?) of SLS free shampoo and I only scrub the scalp. I basically lather up the shampoo on my hands/fingertips and then scrub the scalp. That washes the rest of my hair just enough without actually intending to do so. Then I use a coney condish and I'm fine. I tried CO but my fine hair didn't like it. I tried stretching as well and no-go. My thin/fine hair was too oily and limp to go more than a day between washes.

sarahthegemini
September 3rd, 2013, 02:40 PM
If this is any help, I was shampooing & conditioning daily as my scalp got oily (though my length didn't) and I switched to CWC daily. Initially my length got greasier quicker (which I didn't mind as I was washing daily anyway due to my scalp) After a few weeks, my hair (scalp + length) just stopped getting greasy and I was able to wash every other day. I dunno why that happened, it just did :)

goldcopperbrown
September 3rd, 2013, 02:40 PM
I wash daily. I just do a light scrub with a small dab (size of a quarter?) of SLS free shampoo and I only scrub the scalp. I basically lather up the shampoo on my hands/fingertips and then scrub the scalp. That washes the rest of my hair just enough without actually intending to do so. Then I use a coney condish and I'm find. I tried CO but my fine hair didn't like it

Exactly, I have fine hair too. It's BSL now, and I remember I once grew it from shoulder to mid-back in like 1-2 years...and I was washing it every day without conditioning! My "wash" was also just Burts Bees Soap!!!

goldcopperbrown
September 3rd, 2013, 02:41 PM
If this is any help, I was shampooing & conditioning daily as my scalp got oily (though my length didn't) and I switched to CWC daily. Initially my length got greasier quicker (which I didn't mind as I was washing daily anyway due to my scalp) After a few weeks, my hair (scalp + length) just stopped getting greasy and I was able to wash every other day. I dunno why that happened, it just did :)

This is a good idea. I'm very physically active so I need SOME kind of cleansing and I think that's why this would work for me- I'll give it a try :)

Panth
September 3rd, 2013, 02:48 PM
Daily washing can be perfectly fine for some people. E.g. Cinnamonhair does CO washes daily and has knee-length hair (http://www.beyondclassiclength.com/).

No one can tell you if your hair will be able to tolerate daily washing, or what is the best method to use. You're just going to have to chose something gentle and experiment.

sarahthegemini
September 3rd, 2013, 02:53 PM
This is a good idea. I'm very physically active so I need SOME kind of cleansing and I think that's why this would work for me- I'll give it a try :)

It's defo worth a try! I was very pleasantly surprised that I was able to wash less, especially as it seemed to happen overnight! I woke up, took my hair down and thought "my hair isn't greasy, why is it not greasy?!" :p Keep in mind, when I cwc, I don't let any shampoo suds touch my length, so my length is effectively co-only. Hence why, initially the length got greasier :)

spidermom
September 3rd, 2013, 03:03 PM
You could try diluting the shampoo in warm water for washing. I use a squirt bottle for this because it makes application a lot easier; I can get right down to the scalp as I run lines of the solution from forehead to nape (or vice versa if I'm washing upside down; I like to change my routine around from time to time).

goldcopperbrown
September 3rd, 2013, 03:06 PM
You could try diluting the shampoo in warm water for washing. I use a squirt bottle for this because it makes application a lot easier; I can get right down to the scalp as I run lines of the solution from forehead to nape (or vice versa if I'm washing upside down; I like to change my routine around from time to time).

That's cool! I hadn't even considered this. I might try it :)

YamaMaya
September 3rd, 2013, 03:07 PM
I had this problem for a long time. I went no poo for a stretch and my hair got greasy and limp on the 2nd or 3rd day. But I stuck with it and suffered through the grease, and eventually my hair stopped being so greasy all the time. I eventually had to give up no poo as it was causing my hair to be brittle, but I carried over the stretching of washes, and even with a once a week wash my hair doesn't get too greasy until the last day. The moral of this story is, sometimes you have to suffer through a little bit of ugly to get to the beautiful :)

shutterpillar
September 3rd, 2013, 03:13 PM
I used to have to wash my hair everyday as well - especially when I had bangs. They would get greasy within 12 hours. Anyway, I wash every other day now since I don't mind using a scarf, or wearing my hair in a bun or braid on day 2, but when I didn't, washing with diluted shampoo (similar to what Spidermom suggested, only I would wash around my hairline) or dry shampoo worked for me. Be careful when choosing a dry shampoo, though... some of them have really crappy stuff on their ingredients list. Unfortunately I have not used a dry shampoo since I began to take better care of my hair, so I cannot give you any good recommendations.

I honestly don't think there is anything wrong with washing daily anyway... there are quite a few members here who wash daily and have long, gorgeous hair. :)

MiaBeth
September 3rd, 2013, 03:32 PM
My scalp seems to prefer daily washes -- if that keeps my hair from growing uber-long, then so be it!

Wasy
September 3rd, 2013, 06:05 PM
don't worry. some of us can't. try dry shampoo, but seriously i don't think it matters. In fact i get dandruff if i don't wash often enough

see_turtle
September 3rd, 2013, 06:18 PM
It's okay! I wash practically daily I NEED to for my hair not to be disgusting! I have fine hair like you.

Vivalagina
September 3rd, 2013, 06:25 PM
I will use coconut oil as a pre-wash and that helps me. I use to wash every 2 or 3 days, then I cut in some bangs and I now I am back to washing daily. I've been cowashing and my hair/scalp are happy.

akilina
September 3rd, 2013, 06:27 PM
I got over it and moved on.
What else can one do??....

It felt stupid and trivial to spend so much of my brain power on hair washing and wishing i could stretch washes. I would stretch washes but then I'd feel like I looked disgusting with dirty hair and it also makes me have no self confidence when I have dirty greasy looking hair. Wearing it up and grudging thru it wasn't/isn't an option for me.
Some days ill use diluted shampoo, or co wash. I don't think you should waste time tripping out on it being *soo badddd*. There are so many worse things you could be doing to your hair. If what you are doing works for YOU then keep it up.

trolleypup
September 3rd, 2013, 06:47 PM
I will note that if you exercise pretty hard and your scalp gets sweaty, a water rinse works remarkably well if wash before you cool down. Or use very dilute shampoo.

Second this! Or if you try water rinses, use a nozzle that penetrates your hair to reach the scalp.

goldcopperbrown
September 3rd, 2013, 06:52 PM
I will use coconut oil as a pre-wash and that helps me. I use to wash every 2 or 3 days, then I cut in some bangs and I now I am back to washing daily. I've been cowashing and my hair/scalp are happy.

I find my hair looks great (and thicker!) if I use coconut oil (well, brahmi oil so it's coconut oil with other stuff added to it) about 2 hrs before washing my hair. Luckily this usually takes place at the gym, so if I have oily hair at the gym I don't mind :)

maborosi
September 5th, 2013, 10:49 PM
I wash daily with shampoo. I use a sulfate-free one. I just wash at the scalp to get the dirt off from the day- I try to go for something gentle enough that it won't strip my hair dry, but I like to get a clean scalp/roots area.

When I try Co-washing or stretching washes, I get extremely painful acne on my scalp.
My hair is in amazing shape, so I think it's totally possible to wash daily as long as you're cautious.

~maborosi~

spirals
September 5th, 2013, 11:04 PM
Well, I'm still dealing with dry hair. It does better when washed every day, as that somehow infuses it with water without creating too much frizz like a spray bottle does. I stopped detergent shampoo because it was drying. I replaced it with castile soap because I liked the idea of one product for face/hair/body. Of course I needed an acidic rinse to counteract the alkaline nature of it. So I developed an acidic rinse with marshmallow root decoction to provide some slip. It's ok, but I've been thinking of trying conditioner only every day with a conventional conditioner, though I'm wary of the chemicals in those. I think maybe I will try my own version of that: washing every day or every other day with water and then using my rinse. I don't know if my scalp will get greasy, though.

Aemelia
September 6th, 2013, 12:13 AM
I have tail-bone length hair and I'm like you, I have to wash everyday and it certainly hasn't stopped my hair from growing long. My shampoo is in one of those pump bottles, I get one pump and slap it onto the top of my head and another and smear it under at the back, scrub my scalp and let it run through the length in the rinse.

XcaliburGirl
September 6th, 2013, 06:09 AM
I too am a daily washer. I've seen people mention "hydral fatigue" as water exposure damaging the hair, but my hair doesn't seem any worse for it.

I wash my scalp with full-strength sulfate shampoo. Then I condition the length. If I put conditioner on my scalp, I get dandruff. If I stretch washes, I get dandruff.

Also, I just like washing daily! My daily routine is set. My hair feels clean and goes up in a damp bun smoothly.

jacqueline101
September 6th, 2013, 10:11 AM
I had oil issues too when my hair was transitioning from washing regularly to stretch washes. Wear it up helps also try dry shampoo to help the extra oiliness.

Wildcat Diva
September 6th, 2013, 10:31 AM
I prefer washing once to twice a week. For me, I love it right after washing, and this is a good time to wear my wavy hair down. I only fingercomb at first. Then, buns come into favor the next day or two, and then I start messing with buns and different (lots) hairtoys. I then use my tangle teezer to brush through my hair. Then about four days in it starts to get a bit more oily, and I do some buns which are easier with more slick hair instead of poofy wavy tresses. I might enjoy wearing one of my hair parandas about this time to make it one more day. Then it's wash day again, and it's time to start the journey all over again!

Nique1202
September 6th, 2013, 05:39 PM
If you can use sulfates (no allergies or other objections), the Lush shampoo bar called Jumping Juniper has helped me stretch my washes further. It has juniper and lavender to help balance oily scalp problems. It's very good at getting the oil off every inch of the scalp. The first time I used it was the first time my hair was squeaky clean since I used a salon-brand clarifying shampoo several years ago. However, hair is pretty resilient stuff, so if you do have to wash every day with a milder shampoo, well, hair can handle one or two bad hair habits generally without too much ill effect, except for intense heat styling. lol