PDA

View Full Version : Is putting water on your hair everyday a bad thing?

Fluffy01
September 3rd, 2013, 01:13 PM
My hair has been acting horrible lately. It is a big frizzy dry mess no matter how many oils, heavy conditioners, etc. I put on it. I don't use heat appliances, and I don't use sulfate shampoos. I only shampoo maybe twice a week if that. The rest of the time I hop in the shower and put conditioner on my hair then get out and wet bun it. I ran across something online, though, that says the mere fact of wetting my hair every single day can be damaging to it?! Has anyone ever experienced this? Thank you!

picklepie
September 3rd, 2013, 01:30 PM
There is such a thing as hygral fatigue, but many curlies (and others) wet their hair daily-- for me, it's preferable to the mechanical damage of trying to manipulate my hair while dry.

Have you clarified recently? Non-sulphate shampoo + lots of condish = dry hair caused by buildup, most likely.

gthlvrmx
September 3rd, 2013, 01:37 PM
If it doesn't need it, i wouldn't. Anything damages the hair even hair can damage hair.
Amazing world we live in right? That's because hair does not have living cells that grow upon each other and repair itself so it can get torn down just like rocks do or a dead twig after time it breaks down. Hair is strong but individual hairs can get damaged more than having a giant chunk of it. The conditioner may have built up maybe try claryfying and check when doing your conditioner on your hair really get it in there in your hair and scalp and spend a good amount of time lathering.

What are you using exactly?

Also, everyday? Check what you're using and the ingredients. Many oils can build up and conditioners and shampoos even build up over time. The more you use it the more likely you'll get build up faster. Even the suave naturals and even shampoo build up so does mineral oil though after a loooongggg time or if you use A LOT of it. :) Like i did i used like 20 drops...or more XD What a mess.

Gotta get the stuff out is what i say and start new. Maybe clarify with something like neautrogena anti residue? and then really use that conditioner well and leave it on for a good while at least 30 minutes to get more oils out. Sometimes heavy oils stay after using clarifying stuff but the clarifying shampoo is good for getting build stuff from like the regular shampoo and a little of the conditioner i think? And then use the regular conditioner, preferably something without silicones like Suave Naturals. That should help it helps me.

Really rinse it out really well just as good and a bit longer than you spent lathering that should help get out conditioners, oils, and some shampoo.
After that you can try shampooing slightly but remember to really RINSE. Too many people think since its shampoo and its super strong and can get stuff out fast, that it will fall out easily but trust me you NEED to rinse all that stuff out especially people with thicker hair! Conditioner is harder to get out and use when water is cold so try using warm water when CO washing and when rinsing out. Of course use cooler water when rinsing out eggs ;D That stuff actually turns into nice yummy eggs in your hair.

Conditioner needs good lathering and rinsing and warm water to get it to work better.

As a rule, i spend at minimum 5 minutes lathering in and 8 minutes lathering out. It works for me and i go for more. The more oil you use, the more time using the conditioner. Lather it in really well and with the length i try just separating it into sections and hold the hair between my palms and rub it back and forth not up and down since pulling up and down can damage too much.

Thing is if you wash everyday like this it can be too much sometimes so you have to be careful. Works for me i wash only once a week. It's always up.

What your scalp wants may be different as to what you hair wants. Sorry if this looks all out of order my eyes hurt and i haven't slept in hours i have had insomnia and a horrible hair month it's been quite a summer.

gthlvrmx
September 3rd, 2013, 01:38 PM
There is such a thing as hygral fatigue, but many curlies (and others) wet their hair daily-- for me, it's preferable to the mechanical damage of trying to manipulate my hair while dry.

Have you clarified recently? Non-sulphate shampoo + lots of condish = dry hair caused by buildup, most likely.

This is true but any hair can experience that. Curly haired people wet their hair more because it's easier to manage when wet and not dry and curly. I'd rather bun my hair after it's dry since i oil it right after i wash with damp hair and then it's not as curly.
Curly hair is tough but it's fun :P

picklepie
September 3rd, 2013, 01:42 PM

nobeltonya
September 3rd, 2013, 01:45 PM
Wetting it is good for moisture.. I used to do it when it was shorter w/o even realizing what it'd do for my frizzies (now I realize in hindsight). But when it's wet I generally bun or braid it for a bit rather than letting it dry loose.. and I'm washing every other day :O and wetting it in between.. also ditched the conditioners (so far) in favor of the Indian method of oiling after wetting or washing (my husband's request).. :disco:

Buddaphlyy
September 3rd, 2013, 02:15 PM
Water is the best moisturizer so I don't see how using it everyday could be bad. But everything doesn't work for everybody, so you never know.

Your regimen is exactly like mine, shampoo twice a week, co wash on the other days as need. I make sure to clarify at least twice a month with a sulfate based shampoo. That translates into roughly every 3-4 shampoos the sulfate shampoo. Also, check the ingredient lists on your conditioners and leave-ins if you use any. There's little point in using a sulfate free shampoo if you are still using cones in other areas of your routine.

Panth
September 3rd, 2013, 02:55 PM
Yes, as others have said, every wash damages a little due to hydral fatigue.

However, in your case I think it is FAR more likely to be a build-up issue, particularly if you've been putting lots and lots of oils and heavy conditioners on your hair in a hope of fixing it. Many things can build up, including: most 'cones (found in most conditioners and leave-in serum type things), oils, waxes and certain herbal rinses. Try clarifying (to remove product build-up) and chelating (to remove mineral build-up). You may want to do a moisturising treatment after those as they can be a bit harsh. However, that little bit of harshness is more than worth it.

Some people mix baking soda into their shampoo to clarify. I personally prefer to just buy a shampoo that is advertised as clarifying, as I find baking soda is incredibly harsh. If you do use baking soda, you MUST follow it up with an acid rinse (e.g. 1-2 teaspoons white wine, white, or apple cider vinegar in 1 glass water). To chelate you need a chelating shampoo, or one advertised as being for swimmers. You may be able to do a small amount of chelation with a very strong vinegar rinse (rinse it out well afterwards!) or with a club soda rinse.
Personally, I just use Pantene Clarifying shampoo as I know it both clarifies (says on the tin) and chelates (it removed all the limescale from my sink when I used it...).

spidermom
September 3rd, 2013, 02:59 PM
Wetting it is not good for moisture. Being wet makes the cuticle rise, and you lose a bit of moisture every time that happens.

Fluffy01
September 4th, 2013, 01:32 PM
Yes, after some research I definitely think it's hygral fatigue. I wet my hair every single day. I've tried clarifying it and all those other things mentioned. My hair is still a big poofy mess and now that I think about it....it's probably just way way too soft from all the water absorption and heavy conditioners, etc. So therefore it looks dry if that makes sense? I'm going to stop hopping in the shower every day and just try to manipulate my hair with aloe vera gel to put it up and maybe some flaxseed gel. I'm also going to start pre-pooing with coconut oil because it's supposed to stop the water from absorbing into the hair as much. I may also try some protein treatments to see what happens even though my hair in general has hated protein in the past.

glitterbug
September 4th, 2013, 02:24 PM
Wetting it is not good for moisture. Being wet makes the cuticle rise, and you lose a bit of moisture every time that happens.

What about when wanting to moisturise hair with oil after using water on the hair? Is that a good idea?