PDA

View Full Version : Long hair and volume at the roots: mission impossible?

meteor
September 3rd, 2013, 12:08 PM
I am wondering if there is any way of getting volume at the roots as hair grows longer and heavier.

So far, nothing works as well as hair spray and skipping conditioner - both are bad practices that tend to dry out hair.
Is there a healthier alternative? Maybe some special way of setting/styling hair?

Thank you, guys! :D

HintOfMint
September 3rd, 2013, 12:11 PM
Damp bunning with the bun on top of your head helps. I've also found that L'oreal makes a root volumizing spray without alcohol that works alright. But honestly, the only thing that has kept my hair from being flat at the top has been layers. Lots of them. My hair was at hip when I realized that my hair was just too heavy to work the no-layers thing.

Anabell
September 3rd, 2013, 12:35 PM
I get volume from pre oiling the roots. I use a very small amount for the scalp oiling- just enough to make my hands shine and then massage my scalp with my hands. I did a bun after that and that looked like I back comb my hair and then put hair spray on it.

Firefox7275
September 3rd, 2013, 12:49 PM
Everything upside down, from washing to drying. Bun on the top of the head, root clipping. The more you smooth hair downwards, the flatter it is likely to be.

Hootenanny
September 3rd, 2013, 03:18 PM
I agree with Firefox's suggestions: root clipping my hair while it is drying has helped enormously with increasing root lift and avoiding the dreaded "triangle head" that many of us wavies and curlies face. I just use claw clips to grab and lift my roots along my part, and leave them in until my hair is dry, then remove them and gently shake my hair upsidedown to make it look more natural. Works great! Layers will help also, if you are willing to forgo some density at your ends.

goldenlady
September 3rd, 2013, 03:20 PM
I found that after doing a scalp massage (without oil) I have crazy volume in my otherwise flat hair..

YamaMaya
September 3rd, 2013, 03:24 PM
I agree with Firefox's suggestions: root clipping my hair while it is drying has helped enormously with increasing root lift and avoiding the dreaded "triangle head" that many of us wavies and curlies face. I just use claw clips to grab and lift my roots along my part, and leave them in until my hair is dry, then remove them and gently shake my hair upsidedown to make it look more natural. Works great! Layers will help also, if you are willing to forgo some density at your ends.

:rollin: I had that triangle head once when I was in High School, after a bad haircut. Growing that out was a nightmare let me tell you :p

fairview
September 3rd, 2013, 03:39 PM
Also having interior (invisible) layers helps a lot also Short hairs push long hairs so by having interior layers between the crown and parietal ridge will help give you added volume. It certainly will not solve your problem but along with the other suggestions will enhance your lift.

meteor
September 3rd, 2013, 03:49 PM
Great advice, guys! Thank you so much! :D
I can already see what I was doing wrong: I always comb hair down, wash it down, dry it down and then I was surprised why I get that "triangle head".

And yes, whenever I do a head massage with oil I get great volume, but I always comb after :doh:

I'll try root clipping and doing high buns. Thank you! :flowers:

LAG93
September 3rd, 2013, 04:29 PM
As for a volumizing style, what I do instead of back combing is I take the hair at my crown, like top of my head and pull that back and braid it all the way down. I then put my hair in a pony tail or bun, all of it including that little topofthehead braid. Once my pony tail/bun is in place I carefully pull the braid out of the tie just a little to pouf up the hair at the top of my head. Sounds confusing I guess but looks cute!no crossing of bobby pins needed!

jrmviola
September 3rd, 2013, 08:20 PM
The Thin/Fine Hair Thread has alot of posts about how to thicken up thin fine hair. Maybe some of those will help... even if your hair is neither thin nor fine...

&rea
September 3rd, 2013, 11:10 PM
I use a little bit of dry shampoo (I just use cornstarch because it's cheap and works better than other kinds I've tried) at the roots and it give my hair a bit more lift. I also heat that dry shampoo is good to use when doing an updo because it seems to give the hair more grip.

dulce
September 4th, 2013, 10:49 AM
I had pretty much one length tailbone hair,the weight made the roots very flat and ponytails a headache.
My hubbie cut a sharp v with layers starting at collarbone and my longest at tailbone v hem. Hello ponytails again!my curls came back and my roots are not nearly as flat,so layers[if you like them] can help by reducing the weight and bulk of the hair.

jacqueline101
September 4th, 2013, 12:07 PM
You could try rollers and see if the curl won't add volume.

Anabell
September 5th, 2013, 01:17 PM
I had pretty much one length tailbone hair,the weight made the roots very flat and ponytails a headache.
My hubbie cut a sharp v with layers starting at collarbone and my longest at tailbone v hem. Hello ponytails again!my curls came back and my roots are not nearly as flat,so layers[if you like them] can help by reducing the weight and bulk of the hair.

That sounds very interesting. Can I see a picture? How could you manage to create layers that spread on so much length?

PamelaViktoria
September 5th, 2013, 02:13 PM
I wear a bun to bed, and also flip my hair to the right for part of the day, and to left for the rest of the day. It only gets flat if it gets greasy haha