PDA

View Full Version : Getting regular trims isn't helping - any advice?

NotRapunzel
September 3rd, 2013, 06:26 AM
I've been trying to grow my hair for the past four years, but it almost always starts looking ratty with tonnes of split ends when it gets just below my shoulders. :'( I usually get a trim at this point.

So now I'm thinking: what if I don't get the trim, and just ride out the split ends until it's a decent length? Do you think that'd work?

Or do I just accept that since I dye it blonde and often straighten it, I can never really have healthy, long hair? Would stopping straightening it help, or does the bleach do so much damage that it wouldn't really matter?

Thanks for any advice!

AMD
September 3rd, 2013, 06:35 AM
Not dying and not straightening will always help, but as long as you have splits, you should cut them. If you must be blonde, then removing the heat will improve the condition of the hair you grow out.
There is a thread on this site for those who are bottle blonds and growing out long hair.

Flor
September 3rd, 2013, 06:55 AM
Leaving split ends won't help, it'll start tangling a lot more, causing more strain and breakage. Ideally, if you want long hair, you will have to consider quitting both, bleach and heat styling.

hafattack
September 3rd, 2013, 07:14 AM
yep, bleach and heat have gotta go. If you want to avoid trimming try search and destroy (finding splits and just cutting the split portion off). It will save you length and get rid of splits but it will take time

breezefaerie
September 3rd, 2013, 07:17 AM
We have several people here who are bottle blondes and have lovely hair. I think most of your damage is most likely caused by heat.

You could start by doing some protein treatments followed by a deep conditioning treatment to see if that helps your hair.

Firefox7275
September 3rd, 2013, 07:26 AM
I've been trying to grow my hair for the past four years, but it almost always starts looking ratty with tonnes of split ends when it gets just below my shoulders. :'( I usually get a trim at this point.

So now I'm thinking: what if I don't get the trim, and just ride out the split ends until it's a decent length? Do you think that'd work?

Or do I just accept that since I dye it blonde and often straighten it, I can never really have healthy, long hair? Would stopping straightening it help, or does the bleach do so much damage that it wouldn't really matter?

Thanks for any advice!

Bleached AND straightened is a recipe for disaster, you will never have healthy hair with that combination. Your splits are a sign the ends are fried and have probably lost their entire protective cuticle. If left those damaged ends will split right up the shaft and/ or tangle on healthier hair higher up damaging that.

Could you simply do one or the other? Either embrace your waves/ curls or practice heat free straightening like wet wrapping. How much damage bleaching does depends on your hair type (fine/ coarse), what preparation you do (hydrolysed protein, coconut oil), how many shades you lift, how light you go, if you do roots only or 'refresh' the lengths. amagbe is cumulative, bleaching makes hair more vulnerable to other types of damage like heat styling and UV light.

Proven beneficial ingredients for damaged hair include coconut oil, hydrolysed protein, ceramides, 18-MEA and panthenol. These can patch repair the surface damage as well as penetrate the cortex reducing porosity, increasing elasticity and strength. Products with two or three of these ingredients include Komaza Care Matani repair treatment spray, Komaza Care Matani leave in conditioner, L'Oreal Elvive Full Restore 5 repairing conditioner, Scientific Essentials hair conditioner, Schwarzkopf Gliss (Kur) ultimate volume conditioner. Ideally use them as leave ins or lengthy deep treatments not wash off conditioner so you get a decent 'dose' (many wash off conditioners also work as a leave in anyway). Coconut oil just use straight up on dry hair leaving overnight to twenty four hours before washing the excess out.

spidermom
September 3rd, 2013, 09:04 AM
I'd give up at least one of those habits if I were you, preferably both. My hair condition improved a great deal from giving up occasional straightening (maybe twice per month on average). (I don't bleach.)

Leeloo
September 3rd, 2013, 10:16 AM

Thanks for any advice!

I think it's bleach damage mostly. Straightening doesn't help also. I was going to suggest catnip rinses, but I think you'll have to stop bleaching to grow longer without damage.

meteor
September 3rd, 2013, 10:57 AM
I absolutely agree with the idea of trimming off the splits and quitting bleach & heat to grow long.

I would add though, that the condition of my bleached ends improved dramatically and I stopped getting any split ends when I started oiling my ends (braid tassel) with coconut oil or other oils (argan, olive, etc) every other day. Using only a wide-tooth comb (to avoid breakage due to rough brushing) and wearing hair up also helped a lot.

Depending on how coarse and sturdy your hair is, you might be able to grow long hair despite the bleach, but if you must bleach, please put a good layer of coconut oil on your hair a day or at least a few hours BEFORE you use bleach. Coconut oil does penetrate hair shaft and protects hair somewhat from solvents, bleach and other types of damage.

There are some heatless methods of hair straightening. Besides, you can explore how wavy/curly your hair is naturally and how to work with it, rather than against it. Check out the Curly Girl method. It helps cut down on frizz dramatically and bring out beautiful natural waves and curls.

Vrindi
September 3rd, 2013, 11:01 AM
Bleach or heat. Choose one, if you have to have one. :) Micro-trims have helped me deal with past bleach damage and desert heat. When the ends start to grab together, off comes 1/8 to 1/4 inch. I gain length and keep the ends in shape. Also, frequent S&D.

AmyBeth
September 4th, 2013, 02:27 AM
I know that some people could grow longer hair doing what you are doing, but not me, and apparently not you! I know I must sound like a broken record- try to think about accepting the hair you have instead of trying to force it to be what it is not. Loving my hair and taking good care of it makes my hair so much prettier than highlights and hairspray ever did, it's so much easier and less expensive. And the peace of mind is priceless.

sofo
September 4th, 2013, 04:38 AM
I think there might be a difference with how you use the straightener. Not too warm and not too long and you might be able to protect the hair with products. I never straighten my hair though, so I have almost no experience at all except for really frying my hair once with one and never using one again after that. Every microsecond you keep the warm straightener against the hair makes a difference. Try and see if you can be faster?