PDA

View Full Version : Going to a stylist for updo

Libbylou
September 2nd, 2013, 07:22 AM
Later this month I will be attending a family wedding, I am seriously thinking of getting a professional updo. I have never done this in all my 50 some years.
I know this will probably cost about $50 as my hair is about 2 inches from waist. I have been very kind to my hair over the past 3 years, no heat, mostly natural products. I know this one time probably won't do that much damage.
I am just learning braids and buns and hair friendly updos. I just want a very polished look this one time. No flyaways or baby hairs sticking out and not lop sided in the back.
I was just wondering about how long would this salon event take?

jacqueline101
September 2nd, 2013, 07:52 AM
I'd guess an hour.

fairview
September 2nd, 2013, 10:11 AM
A picture is worth a million words. Please spare the stylist and yourself the pain and disappointment of trying to verbally describe it. Secondly, cough up the money for a trial updo well before the event to make sure there are no surprises and you have time to find another stylist if there is a surprise. Thirdly, make sure you are facing the mirror during the process so there aren't any surprises. Depending on what you want, it could take a little as 15 minutes to a couple of hours. Have fun!!

spidermom
September 2nd, 2013, 10:13 AM
I can't add more to what has already been suggested other than be prepared for a lot of teasing and hair spray. I had a professional up-do for my son's wedding, and I can't stand to look at those pictures. It was so not me.

dulce
September 2nd, 2013, 11:02 AM
I had a fancy salon updo-sprayed and teased,curled-piled atop my head for my wedding,went home,It felt so uncomfortable ,I washed my hair, then put it in a classy ,elegant simple side bun for my wedding.Much better!

Wasy
September 2nd, 2013, 11:06 AM
it sounds like a good idea :) i got my hair professionally done for my sisters wedding and it really took the pressure off! have a great time :D

BlazingHeart
September 3rd, 2013, 01:28 AM
Depends in part on how thick your hair is, and how cooperative your hair is. I've seen people get a style done in half an hour; I've sat in a chair for an hour and a half, and on one memorable occasion two hours, having mine done. Having said that, I have very thick, fairly slick hair that does not take curl well, and the style I chose for the particularly long styling session was fighting my hair's nature in pretty much every way possible. It took over 120 pins to get it to stay, and oh man the headache...not to mention, the stylist teased the bejeezus out of my hair, and then I think she struggled to get it all up and together because there was so darn much of it. After the teasing but before being curled, my waist-length (then very straight) hair poofed out wider than my shoulders (and I have pretty wide shoulders) - it looked like a lion's mane, seriously. By the time the style was finished, I swear it looked like I had a cereal bowl hidden under my hair, the style was so big. And oh the headache - between the teasing, all the pins, the very forceful way she dealt with my hair and the pins...let's just say that I've been leery of having a stylist put my hair up since then, and have only had it done twice - once for prom, and once for a family portrait where the dress I was wearing was only flattering if my hair was up. The family portrait style was pretty spectacularly unsuccessful - I had the style done within walking distance of the portrait studio, immediately before we had pictures taken, and by the time we were done taking pictures, my hair was already falling out of the style. And it wasn't a complicated one, just a French twist, which probably would have worked if she hadn't insisted on teasing my hair out huge (even though I told her it was a bad idea because of the monster thickness).

I saw you got advice to take a picture of the style you want upthread - that's really, really important to getting what you want! Seriously, the only time I've had a good professional styling, I had a picture of what I wanted. The picture will be most helpful if the person in the picture has hair that is similar to yours in thickness and type (if not, don't be too worried, just be aware that a perfect replica may not be possible).

BlazingHeart
September 3rd, 2013, 01:32 AM
Depends in part on how thick your hair is, and how cooperative your hair is. I've seen people get a style done in half an hour; I've sat in a chair for an hour and a half, and on one memorable occasion two hours, having mine done. Having said that, I have very thick, fairly slick hair that does not take curl well, and the style I chose for the particularly long styling session was fighting my hair's nature in pretty much every way possible. It took over 120 pins to get it to stay, and oh man the headache...not to mention, the stylist teased the bejeezus out of my hair, and then I think she struggled to get it all up and together because there was so darn much of it. After the teasing but before being curled, my waist-length (then very straight) hair poofed out wider than my shoulders (and I have pretty wide shoulders) - it looked like a lion's mane, seriously. By the time the style was finished, I swear it looked like I had a cereal bowl hidden under my hair, the style was so big. And oh the headache - between the teasing, all the pins, the very forceful way she dealt with my hair and the pins...let's just say that I've been leery of having a stylist put my hair up since then, and have only had it done twice - once for prom, and once for a family portrait where the dress I was wearing was only flattering if my hair was up. The family portrait style was pretty spectacularly unsuccessful - I had the style done within walking distance of the portrait studio, immediately before we had pictures taken, and by the time we were done taking pictures, my hair was already falling out of the style. And it wasn't a complicated one, just a French twist, which probably would have worked if she hadn't insisted on teasing my hair out huge (even though I told her it was a bad idea because of the monster thickness).

I saw you got advice to take a picture of the style you want upthread - that's really, really important to getting what you want! Seriously, the only time I've had a good professional styling, I had a picture of what I wanted. The picture will be most helpful if the person in the picture has hair that is similar to yours in thickness and type (if not, don't be too worried, just be aware that a perfect replica may not be possible).

Nini
September 3rd, 2013, 01:37 AM
Stop by your stylist of choice and talk it over. I've had my hair professionally done once, and I loved it:) No teasing or back combing, but a lot of hairspray and some fifty pins. Looked great, didn't hurt and scored me loads of compliments:)