PDA

View Full Version : Difference between light ash brown and dark(est) blonde?

icallitbliss
September 1st, 2013, 10:15 PM
How can you tell the difference, if there is one? Trying to figure out what my natural hair color actually is. I always consider it brown, but sometimes I'm not sure.

Here are three different lighting situations:

http://imageshack.us/a/img838/9823/hrd8.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img827/1256/mzfs.jpg

It really looks gray here.

http://imageshack.us/a/img844/1481/wk9e.jpg

When I was younger it used to sun-bleach quite a bit.

Bagginslover
September 2nd, 2013, 02:20 AM
I can't help much, other than to say I was once told by a stylist that my natural colour (see avatar) was dark ash blonde! This wasn't a random, one-time-visit stylist, this lady had done my hair for years, and so knew it very well. I've always called it brown personally, but just thought I'd chip in :)

faellen
September 2nd, 2013, 02:39 AM
It's actually quite hard to tell. In the first pic your colour looks a bit similar to mine, and I always opt for the term "blonette".

Quixii
September 2nd, 2013, 02:43 AM
The whole dark blonde/light brown spectrum is confusing, but personally, I always envision "ash" as a lot less warm.

Like, I'm in that bridge too, but I don't think my hair would ever be ash. Yours would, though.

Firefox7275
September 2nd, 2013, 03:30 AM
I'd call that colour mouse, it doesn't look as if you have much warm blonde or brown tones.

jacqueline101
September 2nd, 2013, 07:57 AM
I'd call it blondette.

peepopowitz
September 2nd, 2013, 08:12 AM
By no means an official, professional opinion here:

As a long time hair color user and natural dark blonde (last I checked), the difference between the darkest blonde and the lightest brown is translucence. In the first pic, your hair appears to have some translucence to it, but in the last two it seems to be less translucent, so I'd call it light brown.

But this is just me, and the system I've used to decode my own hair colors along the way. I've had dark blondes and light browns that were virtually the same level, but the ones I call brown are the ones that reflect light, rather than let it through. That said, in my experience, even quite light dyed blonde hair is not as translucent as natural blonde of the same level. TL;DR it's a crapshoot, either way it's a lovely color you have.

MeganE
September 2nd, 2013, 08:57 AM
Mouse is possibly the least attractive term that can be used to describe hair. I avoid using it at all if I can.

OP: I'm the same color, or at least close enough that I have the same problems. I gave up trying to define it, it looks so different in different lights. I just appreciate it for what it is, and don't try to label it.

xoxophelia
September 2nd, 2013, 09:04 AM
If I had to label it, from the 2nd pic I think you are a natural cool toned medium brunette. The 3rd photo looks blonder but as you said, it was from sun bleaching (lemon or sun-in?).

lapushka
September 2nd, 2013, 09:07 AM
I'd say it's a dark ash blonde/ light ash brown color, mostly going on your first picture.

longhairedwolf
September 2nd, 2013, 09:21 AM
I'd call it brown.

Mizumi
September 2nd, 2013, 10:08 AM
For me it looks like dark blonde, even eyebrows looks so, but it might look different in reality than on the photo. However it still depends on how you consider your color, if you see yourself as a blonde, then you are, but if you have yourself in mind as a brunette, then your hair is brown. Looking at your different tones on different places might be helpful - you will see if there are blonde streaks or not. Hope I helped with figuring it out :)

spidermom
September 2nd, 2013, 10:11 AM
Blonde is also defined in terms of eye color as well as hair color. I can't tell for sure from the picture, but it looks like your eyes are brown, in which case your hair color is brown as well.

sarahthegemini
September 2nd, 2013, 10:40 AM
I always thought women that referred to their hair as dark blonde did so because they didn't want to say they were a brunette :-/ I didn't realise it was an actual colour ....anyway OP, I don't think your hair looks blonde at all.

AmyBeth
September 2nd, 2013, 10:51 AM
Brownette? I also think most people would consider "mouse" unflattering. I'm an exeption because I think the color is really pretty, and unfairly underrated. Besides, I think mice are very cute!:)

WilfredAllen
September 2nd, 2013, 10:55 AM
Mine has a similar range to yours, and I just call it "brown" hahaha some days it's closer to auburn or dark blonde, but brown covers the greatest territory :p. My individual hairs range from very, very blonde, to brown, to red, to black. I guess it depends on which hairs the light is picking up

Springlets
September 2nd, 2013, 12:20 PM
I would go to a hairdresser if you really want to find out. They use different systems to determine hair color, rather than just the color it appears to the untrained eye.

Blonde is also defined in terms of eye color as well as hair color. I can't tell for sure from the picture, but it looks like your eyes are brown, in which case your hair color is brown as well.

Have you really never known a natural blonde with brown eyes? I have known many, including one with extremely ash blonde hair, although her brown eyes were also decidedly ash-toned.

I always thought women that referred to their hair as dark blonde did so because they didn't want to say they were a brunette :-/ I didn't realise it was an actual colour ....anyway OP, I don't think your hair looks blonde at all.

I'm guessing that this stereotype exists because the media likes to pit blondes and brunettes against each other. I believe people with dark blonde hair want to call themselves blonde because we all like to belong to a certain category, and generally women feel a kind of kinship and sense of identity with their hair color. The vast majority of people with medium-dark blonde grew up with a far lighter color that is more clearly considered blonde, so it's understandable that they feel a belonging to that hair color. Why wouldn't it be possible for blonde hair to have a dark category? It's not a static color like white or black. If you can go to a paint store and buy light yellow wall paint and dark yellow wall paint, then you can have light and dark blonde hair (although personally I think natural blonde hair is far closer to beige).

faellen
September 2nd, 2013, 01:21 PM
Mouse is possibly the least attractive term that can be used to describe hair. I avoid using it at all if I can.

Agree with this! If someone called my hair "mouse" to my face, they'd get a look that could kill... :lol:

juliaxena
September 2nd, 2013, 01:45 PM
I am leaning towards light brown, but can you tell if picture number too is artifical light and how much of it?

chen bao jun
September 2nd, 2013, 02:17 PM
How nice that your hair shifts color in different lighting situations. I think it's cool that you can't quite pin the color down, go with the ambiguity. I don't think you need to label everything. Your hair is just pretty, that's all.

My eyes change colors--from yellow to green to light brown/amber depending on the light, but my hair is always black.

I tend to think of your hair color as 'fawn' and I like it so much better than bleached blond. It's so much more subtle and tends to go nicely with the fair, translucent skin of people who have this color. I wish people kept it natural more. It's very rare to see it in the area where I live (bleaching is big here, sigh).

spidermom
September 2nd, 2013, 02:38 PM
Most certainly Springlets; my grandson has blond hair and brown eyes. I suspect, however, that his hair will darken as time passes, and there may come a time when it isn't clear whether his hair color is dark blonde or light brown, as which point I'll go with brown because of his eye color.

I can't think of any adults I know who clearly have blond hair and brown eyes except the ones who bleach/color their hair.

Foxylocks
September 2nd, 2013, 02:50 PM
I think that color is very nice. I would call it a "blonette".

icallitbliss
September 2nd, 2013, 07:07 PM
Thanks guys! My eye color is actually hazel/green. It can be hard to tell sometimes in pictures. And Juliaxena, I feel like that's how my hair looks in most regular room settings. (without natural light) In direct sunlight it looks like this:

http://img703.imageshack.us/img703/3372/s2ba.jpg

And here's me in a room with lots of windows.

I swear I look creepy in this picture (the hair length doesn't help) but I feel like my hair color just makes me look like my face and hair all blend together/washed out kinda thing...It's why I've dyed it for a long time. (am currently growing this color back out, and need motivation cause I feel like it's so unflattering) I feel that with darker colors it gives more contrast to my face. I've always loved darker hair and pale skin.

http://img839.imageshack.us/img839/4240/g6d6.jpg

Doesn't the darker (dyed hair) look better? I want healthier hair again without having to worry about upkeep, but like I said, the contrast goes well with my face.

http://imageshack.us/a/img849/9919/zgxj.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img547/6760/0zct.jpg

Granted, in these pictures my hair grew out a bit longer and I had lost 15 pounds. Stuff like that makes a difference, no doubt. :P

juliaxena
September 2nd, 2013, 11:39 PM
How nice that your hair shifts color in different lighting situations. I think it's cool that you can't quite pin the color down, go with the ambiguity. I don't think you need to label everything. Your hair is just pretty, that's all.

It is what drives me nuts about my hair really. I'd like to call it brown but then it looks so ridiculously light sometimes it kind of irritates me. I guess I'd like either light hair or simply brown.

OP then I suppose it could be very dark blonde. If htat was with artificial light then no because even artificial light makes dark blonde hair look, well, dark blonde and not brown.

Bagginslover
September 3rd, 2013, 02:38 AM
Those new pictures have cemeted it for me, we are hair colour twins! I too prefer my hair darker and warmer (I henna) against my face, and could never decide whether my hair was blonde as the stylist told me, or brown as I and everyone else thought.

If you prefer your hair darker and warmer, and want health, consider henna (just remember how permanent it is!), mine is a very similar colour to your dyed picture using Jamila henna, and I only redo it once every 2-3 months as the regrowth never looks that awful on our shade of hair ;) Its done wonderful things for the condition and health of my hair too.

aksown
September 3rd, 2013, 03:24 AM
You are a classic blonette. Not quite blonde and not quite brunette? Go with blonette! I'm a blonette too although I'm a freshly minted hennahead now.

lapushka
September 3rd, 2013, 06:14 AM
Thanks guys! My eye color is actually hazel/green. It can be hard to tell sometimes in pictures. And Juliaxena, I feel like that's how my hair looks in most regular room settings. (without natural light) In direct sunlight it looks like this:

http://img703.imageshack.us/img703/3372/s2ba.jpg

That is *clearly* a dark ash blonde! Always turn to bright sunlight to be able to tell the difference between blonde and brown!

chen bao jun
September 3rd, 2013, 10:18 AM
That is *clearly* a dark ash blonde! Always turn to bright sunlight to be able to tell the difference between blonde and brown!
Yes, you are a blonde. the photos in the sun show it clearly.
You would be definitively a blonde in a world where the natural standard had not been changed by the prevalence of hair bleaching, but it is what it is: nowadays Clairol rules and has put 'natural' in the dust.
I personally do not think you look better with dyed hair, I think the darker hair looks somewhat harsh on you.
But you need to go with what you like.
I also must beg to disagree with those who said that blondes never have brown eyes. Blondes of course have hazel eyes quite a bit, but I have seen natural blondes with dark brown eyes. It does happen. The different sets of genes for hair color and eye color work independently which is why you can actually get black people (mixed with Caucasian but far back and with quite brown skin) sometimes who have natural blond hair and/or blue eyes.

juliaxena
September 3rd, 2013, 10:39 AM

Is there consensus on this test?

In non dark blonde people but rather those who are light brown, is it possible that the test is if artificial light can sometimes make the hair look lighter than bright sun light? Also if hair looks very light in natural light with no sun but turns darker with sun, does this mean brown?

icallitbliss
September 3rd, 2013, 07:23 PM
Those new pictures have cemeted it for me, we are hair colour twins! I too prefer my hair darker and warmer (I henna) against my face, and could never decide whether my hair was blonde as the stylist told me, or brown as I and everyone else thought.

If you prefer your hair darker and warmer, and want health, consider henna (just remember how permanent it is!), mine is a very similar colour to your dyed picture using Jamila henna, and I only redo it once every 2-3 months as the regrowth never looks that awful on our shade of hair ;) Its done wonderful things for the condition and health of my hair too.

Yay hair twins! :) I always feel alone in this color, haha. I'm hoping the longer my hair gets, the more it might lighten a bit from the sun. So we shall see. But if after awhile I'm still not pleased by the color I will definitely be going the henna route!

It makes me wonder how long I have before I start getting lots of grey hairs. I found one a few years ago. I'm almost 27. I want to have my natural color for as long as I can get it before I have to cover up.

SamEatsBrains
November 23rd, 2013, 09:00 AM
What does eye color have to do with hair color classification? I know many with platinum hair and brown eyes or black hair and blue eyes. I myself am a tan-skinned blue/green eyed blonette Mexican! Lol.

Magalo
November 23rd, 2013, 09:12 AM
Medium ash brown!

MonaMayfair
November 23rd, 2013, 09:14 AM
What does eye color have to do with hair color classification? I know many with platinum hair and brown eyes or black hair and blue eyes. I myself am a tan-skinned blue/green eyed blonette Mexican! Lol.

Sam, your coloring sounds gorgeous! And I agree, I know several (natural) blonds with brown eyes, and also know 3 people with naturally black hair (NOT dark brown) and blue eyes.

SamEatsBrains
November 23rd, 2013, 09:51 AM
Sam, your coloring sounds gorgeous! And I agree, I know several (natural) blonds with brown eyes, and also know 3 people with naturally black hair (NOT dark brown) and blue eyes.Oh, thank you :3. I will try and get some pictures up soon. I was so self concious growing up but now I've really embraced it. Oh ya, me too. Genetics for coloring of the hair skin and eyes is so interesting. Especially in the case of people (most people on the planet!) who are a mixture of a number of races. Nearly impossible to define the coloring of one feature by the coloring of another. And on a side note! Black hair is gorgeous and I don't see nearly enough of it in my everyday life!

endlessly
November 23rd, 2013, 10:18 AM
The best way I've found in the past to determine natural hair color is to go outside with only cloud cover versus sunlight, since sunlight can give the hair more of a "golden" appearance that it might not have. Artificial light is, to put it bluntly, terrible for determining color mainly because it's so harsh and tends to cast more of a "green" light. In the first picture, I would have to agree with the general consensus of the other comments, and agree that your hair appears to be more of an ash blonde. However, the middle picture, since there are no gold or red tones, would suggest ash brown. The last picture, since there is direct sunlight, makes your hair appear warmer, so I would say more of a medium brown with golden undertones.

Try standing next to a window without direct sunlight and see what it would look like with natural light. I have a feeling, it's most likely an ash blonde/brown - not light enough to be considered blonde, but not dark enough to be considered brunette.

Trust me, everyone's hair looks completely different in every type of light, so you are definitely not alone! Mine is red/golden in artificial light, very red in sunlight, and red brown in natural light without sun.

niky45
November 23rd, 2013, 11:12 AM
not-so light brown.

I mean, the first picture could be in the limit between darkest blonde and light-ash brown, but in the second, it's not even light brown, more like medium ash brown.... (btw, it IS ashy. I have finally understand what that means, thanks to your photo... :P )

btw, I have little experience with light hair.... I am much more used to dark tones (as mine :P), and where I live it's hard to find a true natural blonde.

Anje
November 23rd, 2013, 03:28 PM
I'd call your hair dark blond, but clearly opinions vary. To me, brown hair tends to have more chocolate colors to it. As a result, I tend to interpret ashy colors as blond until they get quite dark.

allycat
November 23rd, 2013, 03:52 PM
I personally do not think you look better with dyed hair, I think the darker hair looks somewhat harsh on you.
But you need to go with what you like.

I agree! I think your natural color is way prettier and more natural on you. Especially in the sun where it is even lighter. The dyed darker colors look too harsh to me too.

misspurdy06
November 23rd, 2013, 10:26 PM
By no means an official, professional opinion here:

As a long time hair color user and natural dark blonde (last I checked), the difference between the darkest blonde and the lightest brown is translucence. In the first pic, your hair appears to have some translucence to it, but in the last two it seems to be less translucent, so I'd call it light brown.

But this is just me, and the system I've used to decode my own hair colors along the way. I've had dark blondes and light browns that were virtually the same level, but the ones I call brown are the ones that reflect light, rather than let it through. That said, in my experience, even quite light dyed blonde hair is not as translucent as natural blonde of the same level. TL;DR it's a crapshoot, either way it's a lovely color you have.

I 100% agree. One way you can tell if you are the dark ash blonde is if in over head light esp. florescent half of your eyebrows disappear.

chen bao jun
November 24th, 2013, 10:30 AM
Why does it matter? both colors of hair can be very pretty (and personally, as a non-white person, I find them very hard to tell apart).

Charybdis
November 24th, 2013, 11:39 AM
icallitbliss, I would call your hair darkest blonde, and I think it looks much better undyed. The translucence in the light is, IMO, extremely characteristic of blonde hair, along with the tendency to bleach easily.

Regarding the desire for more contrast with your face: I don't think you need darker hair, I think you need to find the right clothing colors. Your natural coloring is subtle with relatively little contrast among hair, skin, and eyes; you'll never look your best in black near the face, for example. I bet a shirt in a soft medium-dark plum color that's not too saturated would look amazing, though!

Anje
November 24th, 2013, 07:33 PM
Regarding the desire for more contrast with your face: I don't think you need darker hair, I think you need to find the right clothing colors. Your natural coloring is subtle with relatively little contrast among hair, skin, and eyes; you'll never look your best in black near the face, for example. I bet a shirt in a soft medium-dark plum color that's not too saturated would look amazing, though!
I tend to agree with this. You look very much like a "summer" in coloring. Soft, cool, muted colors are probably fantastic on you.

spirals
November 25th, 2013, 01:16 AM
Maybe instead of trying to figure out blonde/brown, we should all just come up with creative color names like fawn, dark brown sugar, wheat, oak, etc.

cranberrymoonz
November 25th, 2013, 07:08 AM
Because the middel picture seems to be taken in artificial light, and the last seems to have some kind of filter/old camera thing going on which makes it looks much warmer (not just your hair, the trees as well), I'll judge on the first picture. I'ts dark ash blonde. You may be like me: dark blonde in summer, bordering light brown in winter.

lapushka
November 25th, 2013, 07:37 AM
I'd call your hair dark blond, but clearly opinions vary. To me, brown hair tends to have more chocolate colors to it. As a result, I tend to interpret ashy colors as blond until they get quite dark.

Same here. ^^

Best is to take a picture when the sun is full-on shining. If it's blonde, you'll notice.