PDA

View Full Version : Aloe Vera for scalp massage instead of oil?

Nope
September 1st, 2013, 05:11 PM
First of all I'd like to start off by saying that I'm a noob, so I'm sorry if i'm doing something wrong. :P
But anyway, my question is, can you massage your scalp with aloe Vera gel instead of with oil? I co-wash, and I'm a little leery about oiling my scalp. I wanted to try mixing some peppermint oil with some aloe gel and using that instead. Is this okay to do? Also, I live in southern Arizona(a very dry climate) so would the aloe have any drying affects in this climate?Thanks in advance :)

Lillybelle
September 1st, 2013, 05:30 PM
I would try it, but go easy on the peppermint. And since you live in AZ throw leave in conditioner all over the length. However you go about it though, I'd be interested to hear how it works out. Good luck

Lillybelle
September 1st, 2013, 05:30 PM
Oh you could also try mixing it into your co wash at first

katiebeans
September 1st, 2013, 05:36 PM
I have been using aloe vera on my scalp/hair/skin for a while now. It is super moisturizing. I have a friend who is from Barbados and the women over there age so beautifully, she told me that is because they use aloe vera for everything :) It is a great idea to use it for a scalp massage. You could add some peppermint oil but I don't really think that is necessary.

neko_kawaii
September 1st, 2013, 05:55 PM
I use aloe while the monsoons last but I've found it to be drying when the humidity drops back down to "normal". I have no idea what the magic humidity number is but something to keep an eye out for as the monsoons peter out.

Nope
September 1st, 2013, 06:59 PM
Thanks everyone :)
And I use peppermint oil for stimulating growth and helping with my headaches, so that's why I wanted to mix it in.

XcaliburGirl
September 1st, 2013, 07:50 PM
l've only used aloe on my scalp once. It was because I had made my scalp feel drywith too much dandruff shampoo. It really did help the dryness. I immediately rinsed it off, so it was more like an aloe wash.

melusine963
September 1st, 2013, 08:48 PM
Aloe is a humectant, not a moisturiser. This means that it will draw in moisture from what's around it. If you live in a humid climate, it will draw moisture out of the air and into your hair. If you live in a dry climate, however, it will actually take moisture out of your hair. Since you live in Arizona I would be careful.

Leeloo
September 1st, 2013, 10:36 PM
Aloe is a humectant, not a moisturiser. This means that it will draw in moisture from what's around it. If you live in a humid climate, it will draw moisture out of the air and into your hair. If you live in a dry climate, however, it will actually take moisture out of your hair. Since you live in Arizona I would be careful.

Thanks for a good explanation! I was very confused before how that works (guess the name humectant is kinda misleading). :o