PDA

View Full Version : Scalp wash questions

jen5972
September 1st, 2013, 10:53 AM
I have not been able to train my scalp to go long between washes. No matter what I do, it just looks like a greasy mess. Mostly it is my bangs and the area just above my ears, but usually by the 3rd day, it is my whole scalp. My length looks fine, but the scalp gets gross quick. Right now I am doing a full scalp wash on the 3rd day, a full hair wash on the 5th day, and washing my bangs and the hair area above my ears on the in between days. So every day is getting some sort of wash to the scalp area. Is this too much strain on the scalp to be washing that much? So far I haven't seen anything negative at all, but I wanted to see if anyone else does this :).

embee
September 1st, 2013, 12:06 PM
When I had bangs (long long ago) I had to wash them every single morning so they were not just greasy strings - plus they'd break out the skin on my forehead.

Nowadays, being much older and less greasy, I have found that often a scalp *rinse* will do the trick, and do not have to actually wash.

Sounds like you're being very careful and if you see no damage, then go for it! :)

Sharysa
September 1st, 2013, 12:34 PM
It's perfectly fine if you feel it helps out. I do a full hair-wash twice a week, which a lot of people in the longhair community seem to think is a lot, but I make sure not to scrub the length and tangle it up too much while I'm rinsing the shampoo off my scalp. Stretching washes isn't for everyone, especially with oily scalps or hair.

Definitely seconding the rinsing as opposed to washing for your bangs--such a small area would probably be fine without products.

Plain water cleans better than a lot of people give it credit for, especially urban dwellers.

XcaliburGirl
September 1st, 2013, 02:22 PM
I shampoo my scalp daily. If I don't, it starts flaking. I'll either shampoo upside down to get just the scalp or I'll do the whole head area, including bangs. The rest of my hair gets rinsed and conditioner applied every day as well.

I've been doing this for years with various lengths of hair and haven't had any issues with it. Other people say it's not recommended, so it's possible that some hair types are not as resilient to frequent washing.

jacqueline101
September 1st, 2013, 03:44 PM
On the bangs try a dry shampoo and the root area too. Id stretch a day at a time like week one go two days then wash next week try three days then wash. Do that and see if it helps.

katiebeans
September 1st, 2013, 05:58 PM
I know it seems impossible for your scalp to adjust to stretching out washes, but it is possible. My hair is fine and used to produce so much oil that I would wash my hair in the morning and it was a greaseball by the time I went to bed. Then I stopped using shampoo cold turkey and went through a horrendous 7 weeks while my scalp slowly transitioned. That was 14 months ago, and now I WO once a week or so.

Now, you don't have to stop using shampoo like I did. But if you stretch your washes and put up with the greasies your scalp will adjust eventually. Some of your other options include diluting your shampoo with water and using dry shampoo. I use cornstarch and cocoa powder.

Babzilla
September 1st, 2013, 09:27 PM
Have you investigated green gram powder? It's finely ground mung beans and it can be a good third-day scalp wash for some people. It's an Indian product and you can search local Indian shops or the web or you can get dry mung beans and grind them yourself.

Leeloo
September 1st, 2013, 10:01 PM
It might be recommended to stretch the washes but if your hair needs it then you should wash more often. Maybe coconut oil on length the night before wash would reduce hygral fatigue.

Firefox7275
September 2nd, 2013, 03:40 AM
Dry shampoo like Batiste is amazing for greasy bangs and hairline, I don't brush the excess out I gently wipe with a microfibre towel. Too frequent washing can strip and irritate the skin causing it to produce more sebum, depends what products/ surfactants/ pH you are using. Also targeted nutrition can modify the amount and composition of your sebum.

jen5972
September 2nd, 2013, 10:29 AM
Thank you all for the advice. I have tried making my own dry shampoo, and it made my scalp itch like crazy! I will have to check out the ones you all mentioned. Thank you!

Firefox7275
September 2nd, 2013, 10:42 AM
Thank you all for the advice. I have tried making my own dry shampoo, and it made my scalp itch like crazy! I will have to check out the ones you all mentioned. Thank you!

What did you put in it?