PDA

View Full Version : Vitamin Inquiry

RedNymph
September 1st, 2013, 06:40 AM
I've been experimenting with hair treatments, particularly coconut oil, but I'm wondering what vitamin supplements you lasses take to promote healthy and improving hair growth. Currently I'm taking Biotin, so what are you lovelies taking?

Emanuelle
September 1st, 2013, 07:21 AM
I'm taking two types of multivitamins; one is a general one and the other one is for hair. One of these two has biotin. And lots of other good stuff. I feel physically better since taking these pills. I'm also taking a protein supplement (in powder form). 98% of the hair (if I remember correctly) consists of a protein named keratin; so protein is an important building stone for the hair (and for the rest of the body). I'm hoping this extra protein will promote healthy hair growth.

The-Young-Maid
September 1st, 2013, 08:26 AM
I've been taking a multivitamin for at least a year now. And I've recently added a Hair,Skin and Nails(includes biotin), Evening Primrose Oil(3000mg), and MSM(2000mg). My hair has defiantly grown much more than before - I'm not sure how long that will last. I want to up my MSM because its supposed to reduce shedding but it makes me ravenous! On the positive side it seems to be helping my skin! :D
I suggest reading Bargello's Vitamin Regimen (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=83)

fairview
September 1st, 2013, 09:10 AM
Vitamins and supplements does not make an unbalanced diet balanced. They will enhance it. The body will sacrifice non essential functions, particularly hair growth) to conserve and protect the more important systems and organs when the diet is unbalanced. Can they help, maybe. Can they cause problems - most definitely. The first to come to mind is what seems to be the most popular - biotin. With a balanced diet the resident intestinal bacteria produce more than our daily needs which is why more medically advanced countries, USA included, do not have a recommended daily allowance. Unless you have a diagnosed condition that does not allow for the natural production of biotin, there is no need to take more.

Nae
September 1st, 2013, 09:55 AM
I just take a daily multi-vitamin when I remember. Mostly to conserve my iron stores since I am a regular blood donor. Other than that, I don't bother with it. I would rather get my vitamins from my diet.

jen5972
September 1st, 2013, 10:19 AM
I take a good multi vitamin, along with good fats like coconut oil and flax seed oil. As Fairview mentioned, the most important thing is diet. A person can take tons of supplements, but if they eat junky, their hair and skin will show it. I eat a low carb diet, with very little sugar (except from fruit) and I can really tell a difference in my hair and skin since changing to that way to eating.

gthlvrmx
September 1st, 2013, 11:05 AM
B vitamins and D3 and later some supplements for when i start building some muscle.

Night_Kitten
September 1st, 2013, 03:18 PM
I tried taking biotin about 2 years ago, but stopped after several months as I saw no improvement...
I eat mostly healthy and balanced food since I was a child, and as I heard conflicting opinions about taking multivitamins I never tried them...
Right now I'm taking vitamin D and iron on a recommendation from my doctor, for health reasons, but I'm also hoping it will help my hair as the condition of the hair is related to the health of the body...

jacqueline101
September 1st, 2013, 03:28 PM
Biotin multivitamin b complex cranberry acidophilus msm is my list.

jeanniet
September 1st, 2013, 04:05 PM
I take vitamin D for a diagnosed deficiency. Other than that, I eat a good diet with lots of veggies and fruit, and my hair grows quite fast. Vitamins don't make you healthier.

czech it out
September 1st, 2013, 05:02 PM
I take a 'Hair, Skin, & Nails' vitamin from Futurebiotics. It contains biotin as well as other supplements said to be good for hair growth (ex. horsetail) and acts as a regular multivitamin also. It's been a little over a month since I started, which I don't think is long enough to judge the effects. In any case, I haven't noticed any difference in my hair growth (or skin/nails for that matter), but I'm still hoping it will have a positive impact. When I run out though, I want to look for a supplement that doesn't surpass daily recommended amounts as much as this one does.

Pierre
September 1st, 2013, 06:57 PM
I'm not taking anything specifically for hair. I take MSM, but that's for arthritis, which is improving very slowly.

NaClH2O
September 1st, 2013, 11:30 PM
I take a multivitamin, oyster shell calcium, and biotin. In the last few weeks, I have noticed that my nails are getting very strong and haven't broken at all. In fact, it's actually harder to trim them with nail clippers than it used to be! I have to (or hope to) believe these positive effects are also occurring in my hair as well :)

Hiriel
September 1st, 2013, 11:45 PM
I don't take anything specifically for my hair. I take vitamin D in the winter and iron after donating blood. If you don't actually NEED a vitamin because of a deficiency, supplementing doesn't do much good (and can in extreme cases be dangerous).

peepopowitz
September 2nd, 2013, 04:32 AM
Biotin is the only supplement I'm taking for cosmetic reasons, but I'm also taking a multi, some calcium, d3, omega 3s, and a b-complex all at my doctor's recommendation. I get that supplements aren't regarded highly around here, but they've made a huge difference in my energy levels, immune system, and, of course, my hair, skin and nails. I think all these work in tandem to improve my hair, but I couldn't recommend them all to you, as I am not a dietician, nutritionist, or medical professional.

The single vitamins that I take are for deficincies or an elevated need due to a condition, but a good multi can probably help, and, according to research from Johns Hopkins, at no consistent risk of adverse effects. Adverse medication events account for 770,000 hospitalizations a year (AHRQ, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services), so I'm frankly more worried about what I use to treat my medical condition than what I use to supplement my diet. Like you would for any dietary change, talk with your doctor or dietician and make changes that suit your needs. Maybe adding a supplement, or dropping one, will make you feel better in all sorts of ways. Happy growing.

goldenlady
September 2nd, 2013, 04:39 AM
I'm such a vitamin fan. I take a multi everyday, evening primrose when menstruating, MSM everyday - (I have acne- prone in and it loves MSM) and Vit C and Vit D if I feel I haven't had enough fruit or sunlight... I don't know which ones have affected hair growth but my slow growth has changed to about average.

clioariane
September 2nd, 2013, 04:41 AM
I take Viviscal, a women's multi and fish oil daily.