PDA

View Full Version : Two week rule invocation!

AnqeIicDemise
September 1st, 2013, 12:32 AM
Because I'm on the verge of doing something incredibly dumb. I'm reaching tailbone and I'm suddenly annoyed/bored with my hair. I'm just itching for change, really. I don't know what to do exactly but if I can't find a simple solution I'll do something I know I'll regret.

Like going blonde.

Or going back to a pixie.

I just know I'll love it for like.. two days and then be miserable.

So I guess, my question is ladies, what would be a nice, easy change that would give me the feel of a 'drastic change' without really doing it drastically? Layers perhaps? Color? The irony of this is, of course, the fact that I've been patiently growing out layers for four years. O.O;

-sigh- Maybe I should go and have a consultation with J for her opinion. I'm so lost and antsy enough that I've had the hubby hide all scissors from me. The LAST time i had this urge was when I convinced my sister to do a cut for me that went so wrong, I had to go from BSL to SL.

ETA: now that I think about it, the last time I felt like this I was under a crap ton of stress (school related at the time). Right now, I'm going through the same amount of stress but its more health related. Long story short, I am not so eagerly awaiting for a cat scan in a week and a half to see if I have kidney stones or a pinched nerve... -.-

hypersensitive
September 1st, 2013, 12:41 AM
Go for bangs- there are plenty of options: blunt, sideswept, long layered face framing.

You might also try temp veggie dyes- they wash out!

AnqeIicDemise
September 1st, 2013, 12:47 AM
I already have bangs and they're kind of short that I can't do much with them. I have been thinking of changing the dip dye color but my hair is so dark, finding the right shade is difficult. Plus I have a crap ton of the red still left. I think that's a suitable idea, though. Hmm..

kysgrl
September 1st, 2013, 12:51 AM
temporary color? highlights?

spirals
September 1st, 2013, 12:59 AM
I just want to extend a hug on the med issue. I've never had a kidney stone that I know of, so I can't speak to that, but if it's a pinched nerve, ask for info on a traction unit you can use at home. Last year I had a pinched nerve in my neck and even narcotics wouldn't touch the pain. (I probably posted over on CS.) I lost function in one hand partially, which thankfully was temporary. Physical therapy did not help, but oh my goodness, a traction unit my friend gave me cured it. It was a small miracle. Also, if you're opiate-resistant like me, maybe a powerful anti-inflammatory like meloxicam will help. Whatever it is, I'm thinking of you. :flowers:

prettyinpink
September 1st, 2013, 03:48 AM
try parting it differently. Remember, it takes years to grow and seconds to cut it off

stachelbeere
September 1st, 2013, 04:03 AM
I'm seconding the temporary dip dye if you really have to do something! And there are so many awesome options that would go with red (I assume it's the one colour in your profile pic?), I have a ton of ideas in my head right now hehe. But you do what you feel comfortable with.

About your health-related issue. A close friend of mine had kidney surgery last year, she was always in pain after workouts because of her kidney stone and something else that was going on in her kidney. After the operation where they reshaped her kidney she felt so rejuvenated and was able to do so many more things without feeling pain :) I hope your problem gets resolved rather quickly :)

Nae
September 1st, 2013, 05:50 AM
I hope you feel better soon. Have you considered getting a cool hair toy. Those always distract me on the days when I am ready to chop and sick of my hair. Also, in other news, I can't chop now, look at all I have spent on hairtoys!!! A dip dye wouldn't be a bad idea, or you could dye your bangs something fun. The possibilities are endless.

XcaliburGirl
September 1st, 2013, 06:19 AM
What about growing your bangs out? That might distract you from the rest of your hair, then you can try the longer bangs styles as you grow them. Then, if you don't like them, it would be very easy to just cut them back the way they were.

Dip dye on the last couple of inches or dying your bangs would be MUCH less difficult to grow out than a pixie, even if you use bleach.

ETA: If you think this is brought on by stress and not a really desire, then I recommend trying a new hobby or getting a little obsessed with something else for a while. If you stop thinking about your hair, you may find you can distract yourself from stress and from the urge to chop.

sarahthegemini
September 1st, 2013, 06:48 AM
Buy a wig!

embee
September 1st, 2013, 07:53 AM
Since it sounds like it's not *really* a hair issue, more a stress/pain/worry issue, I'd suggest putting the hair into the quickest easiest most rock solid bun you know and then doing something completely different - stop thinking about hair other than combing it out morning and night, putting it up quickly, and moving on. Ignore your hair other than most basic care. Nothing you do with your hair will make you look or feel "better" until you get these other issues resolved. A big chop or layers or new colors might become a real downer after you have taken care of your other situations.

AnqeIicDemise
September 1st, 2013, 01:27 PM
Its a combination of both. I've been wanting to change the hair color for a while I just haven't had neither the time nor cash to go to the salon. Normally, I'd DIY but when it comes to bleach and my hair, I leave it to the professionals. (Last time I tried it, my hair went brassy, patchy and horrible. I resembled a bunch of trees changing color for the fall -- and that's that my hair was about six inches in length. I'm not messing with almost TBL right now.) The fact that I'm now feeling like crap only adds fuel to the fire and when that happens, disaster often occurs.

I've learned my lesson in that regards at least.

As for right now, I do have another hobby that takes up most of my time and we're gearing up for a game. I need to start getting my garb together so hopefully, that will be a nice distraction for the next two weeks. I *was* going to put purple back in today and I realized I don't have any more purple special fx. Or rather, not enough to put on the ends. gah!

Ps: I WILL play with toys I haven't used in a while, so we'll see how that goes.

jrmviola
September 1st, 2013, 01:36 PM
Buy a wig!

Yah i agree, i was thinking she could do the wig thing too...

AnqeIicDemise
September 1st, 2013, 01:58 PM
That does sound like so much fun. I'll have to look into that. :D

jacqueline101
September 1st, 2013, 03:54 PM
Go for bangs.

katiebeans
September 1st, 2013, 05:49 PM
You could try some clip-in bangs or hair chalk! Both are extremely not permanent :)

roboeyes
September 1st, 2013, 06:23 PM
I totally know how you feel! I got into a months-long rut of MUST CHANGE HAIR in 2011, and it is the reason my hair is not as long or as healthy as it should be. I chopped it off and bleached it twice to get to red from black.

Every time I feel like I want to change something, I remind myself of how frustrating it is to be growing it back out, and how many more options you have with long hair.

If I were you and I HAD to do something, I would do hi/lo-lights, or do a temporary color. That way, you're not doing TONS of damage, and the length is intact.

Stay strong!

Wildcat Diva
September 1st, 2013, 06:47 PM
She has bangs already guys!

Babzilla
September 1st, 2013, 09:10 PM
When I get in this mood, I buy blonde extensions and dye them a crazy color and clip them in. No damage, no commitment!

Leeloo
September 1st, 2013, 10:23 PM
Because I'm on the verge of doing something incredibly dumb. I'm reaching tailbone and I'm suddenly annoyed/bored with my hair. I'm just itching for change, really. I don't know what to do exactly but if I can't find a simple solution I'll do something I know I'll regret.

Like going blonde.

Or going back to a pixie.

I just know I'll love it for like.. two days and then be miserable.

So I guess, my question is ladies, what would be a nice, easy change that would give me the feel of a 'drastic change' without really doing it drastically? Layers perhaps? Color? The irony of this is, of course, the fact that I've been patiently growing out layers for four years. O.O;

-sigh- Maybe I should go and have a consultation with J for her opinion. I'm so lost and antsy enough that I've had the hubby hide all scissors from me. The LAST time i had this urge was when I convinced my sister to do a cut for me that went so wrong, I had to go from BSL to SL.

ETA: now that I think about it, the last time I felt like this I was under a crap ton of stress (school related at the time). Right now, I'm going through the same amount of stress but its more health related. Long story short, I am not so eagerly awaiting for a cat scan in a week and a half to see if I have kidney stones or a pinched nerve... -.-

Well if a thought of spending the next four years growing out again is not going to change your mind, then you are ready for the big change.

I do second a wig suggestion

Seeshami
September 1st, 2013, 11:08 PM
If a drastic change is absolutely needed I would also vote wig, clip in bangs and the like to give you something fun to play with. Also find a bunch of complicated new styles and work to perfect them and make them yours.

The last time I wanted to change the naughty mess I did a dip dye and I love it. I use henna and indigo to get the deep wine red I want but I will probably always be this way because it feels right.

Previously I wanted to cut my hair off to mourn a long list of losses but was forbidden by my Grandmother to talk about the most upsetting one and couldn't have because it would have caused an uproar so I shoved it in a lazy loop bun for 6 months.

AnqeIicDemise
September 2nd, 2013, 10:38 PM
If a drastic change is absolutely needed I would also vote wig, clip in bangs and the like to give you something fun to play with. Also find a bunch of complicated new styles and work to perfect them and make them yours.

The last time I wanted to change the naughty mess I did a dip dye and I love it. I use henna and indigo to get the deep wine red I want but I will probably always be this way because it feels right.

Previously I wanted to cut my hair off to mourn a long list of losses but was forbidden by my Grandmother to talk about the most upsetting one and couldn't have because it would have caused an uproar so I shoved it in a lazy loop bun for 6 months.

I am sure that the Naughty Mess appreciated not being cut off! :D

I think I may end up getting myself some blonde extensions to play with. I think its the safest route for me right now and the cheapest. I can buy a whole giant weft fairly cheaply and play around with the colors I already have. You guys are awesome.

And as usual, as soon as I can, I'll post pictures.

Seeshami
September 3rd, 2013, 10:10 PM
Mess didn't care. He understood.

The Naughty Mess, "I was expecting some chops with all the drama"