PDA

View Full Version : Bobby Pins

kysgrl
August 31st, 2013, 10:54 PM
Does anyone use bobby pins to bun/put up hair? Or are they too damaging?

AmyBeth
August 31st, 2013, 10:55 PM
I think for more intricate styles, bobby pins are useful. But for everyday, quick and easy updos that I'm capable of, my spin pins are easier, quicker and more comfortable.

kysgrl
August 31st, 2013, 10:58 PM
I think for more intricate styles, bobby pins are useful. But for everyday, quick and easy updos that I'm capable of, my spin pins are easier, quicker and more comfortable.
Last time I tried spin pins they didn't work for me but I think its because I don't really have a lot of hair. I could probably bun my hair with 3 bobby pins.

Panth
September 1st, 2013, 04:23 AM
If you're gentle with them when putting them in/out, I don't see that bobby pins would be that damaging. The main thing is they are massively inefficient for regular everyday styles (30+ bobby pins vs. 4 spin pins or just one hairstick/fork?) and on lots of people they don't stay in very well, while spin pins, sticks and forks do.

You can buy mini-spin pins. They're the ones that come 3 in a pack (if you buy the Goody ones).

hafattack
September 1st, 2013, 05:36 AM
I use a lot of bobby pins. If you're careful you should be ok. I haven't had any noticeable damage from them yet, and I have used them forever

Emanuelle
September 1st, 2013, 07:17 AM
I also like to use bobby pins. I don't think they are damaging. I use them for getting the hair out of my face...

unknown
September 1st, 2013, 07:28 AM
I use bobby pins daily for my updos. Like most people, I used to think that they were only for smaller pieces of hair and that I would have to use tons of them to hold a bun. Then I found this tutorial, and after practicing for a while I now find these just as good as spin pins;

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YzJQ88K2QQg

I find bobby pins to be less damaging than elastics, and I love that they are invisible in hair.

NuclearApple
September 1st, 2013, 07:32 AM
yes i use lots of bobby pins!:o i try to be gentle though

HylianGirl
September 1st, 2013, 11:13 AM
I love bobby pins, I use both big and small ones depending on the style. Like unkwons, I like how they can so easily be completelly hidden. There aren't that many diferent types of pins being sold where I live, bobby pins are the only ones being sold, so that's what I use. Also, that's a cool tutorial, but I have way too much hair to make it work xD But anyway, I don't think they damage the hair, just don't use them without the rounded tip.

minxe
September 1st, 2013, 11:15 AM
I use them all the time. Just make sure to open them a bit and take them out gently instead of ripping them out.

catamonica
September 1st, 2013, 11:26 AM
I use a lot of bobby pins. They hold my braided bun. Flat pins are good to.

ejking2
September 1st, 2013, 11:32 AM
I don't like bobby pins, and they don't like me. :( I can rarely accomplish anything useful with them, and they bend my hairs, which leads to tangling and more damage.

chen bao jun
September 1st, 2013, 12:13 PM
They never ripped out my hair, but they don't hold my hair either. I need millions, they get lost in there, and my hair comes down anyway.
For years, I used the roller pins instead (they look like bigger bobby pins) but although they are useful to a certain extent, once I found spin pins and Amish pins, I never looked back.
If they work for you, and you make sure they have the tips on, I'm sure they're fine. and you're lucky, since they are cheap and they are everywhere.
P.S. It's not that I don't know how to use them, but even doing that x thing doesn't make any different, I just have too much hair (in terms of thickness, not length).

spidermom
September 1st, 2013, 12:16 PM
I use them. For certain styles, nothing else works.

MadameV
September 1st, 2013, 12:35 PM
I use them sometimes. I have some spin pins too, but they don't seem to hold my hair that much better than bobby pins. Since the little tips started chipping they tear my hair more than bobbies, too.

I have a lot of hair (4" circumference that'll be bigger when my postpartum-shed regrowth hits ponytail-able length), and at BSL I can get a cameo bun secure with three, a seashell or a cinnabun with two, and a sock bun with one. In my experience, they work best if you cram them as full of hair as you can. To the point of bending them out of shape, even.

melusine963
September 1st, 2013, 12:58 PM
It took me a long time to learn how to use bobby pins effectively. Now I use them for certain intricate styles, but for my everyday styles I use a hair stick or spin pins. Bobby pins aren't damaging for me so long as I'm careful.

AnqeIicDemise
September 1st, 2013, 03:47 PM
I use bobby pins daily for my updos. Like most people, I used to think that they were only for smaller pieces of hair and that I would have to use tons of them to hold a bun. Then I found this tutorial, and after practicing for a while I now find these just as good as spin pins;

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YzJQ88K2QQg

I find bobby pins to be less damaging than elastics, and I love that they are invisible in hair.

I second this motion. I can no hold a cinnabon of tbl, average to thicker hair with four pins. I use jumbo ones of course, but in a pinch, six little ones can do. I find these to be the cheaper alternative to spin pins too as I loose all my pins and spin pins are expensive.

ETA: I will have to try this technique though. I always used them bumpy side up on insertion, twist and pin. Akin to one would use a hair stick, just to ensure the grippy side would end up to the scalp at the end I always started with grips up. It holds mounds of hair and my cinabon is often solid like a rock with the four bobby pins vs spin pins. I sometimes have to add another pin in there after.

jacqueline101
September 1st, 2013, 03:52 PM
I use them make sure they have the rubber ends and open them before you use them and take them out easy.

browneyedsusan
September 1st, 2013, 04:39 PM
I use them often. If the little ends come off, I use a dab of nail polish to make new "ends". I've never had them snag, but that's just me. (I also tease and use hairspray if I make a retro updo, like Victory Rolls, or Pincurls.)

peepopowitz
September 1st, 2013, 05:08 PM
Short hair, here, so bias follows: I could not manage my hair without bobby pins. They are a lifesaver for those growing out bangs (me), growing out short layers (me, again) and for tiny twist addicts (oh, yeah me!). I'm so accustomed to working tiny pins into my daily styles that I'll probably use old-fashioned hair pins to secure my first buns before I graduate to sticks, forks or ficcares. Bobbies rule; barrettes drool. Happy styling.

katiebeans
September 1st, 2013, 05:39 PM
I use bobby pins all the time, however they serve minor purposes rater than holding any styles together. Be careful about buying cheap ones though, it is way annoying when the ends fall of!

I use them often. If the little ends come off, I use a dab of nail polish to make new "ends". I've never had them snag, but that's just me. (I also tease and use hairspray if I make a retro updo, like Victory Rolls, or Pincurls.)

You are a genius, my friend.

Jonathan S
September 1st, 2013, 08:17 PM
I hate those darned things. the only time I used them was when some of my hairs were to short to fit in a ponytail.

chen bao jun
September 2nd, 2013, 12:26 PM
Going to try what I saw on that video later with a bun. I tried it last night and the bobby pin did hold the end of a braid up, to my surprise. It would be nice if I could use these since they are ubiquitous (and inexpensive)

LAG93
September 2nd, 2013, 12:34 PM
I use three mini spin pins to hold up an easy twisted bun or braided bun, I have pretty thin hair and its almost waist so my bun is small but I can't hold it up with bobby pins. I use bobby pins to hold loose hairs in place, and to prevent damage I spread just a little bit of coconut oil on them. I haven't had any damage doing that and they still stay in place for me. I don't know if it actually works better or not but, it seems to!

Macaroni
September 2nd, 2013, 12:39 PM
I use roller pins for my updos and have never had a problem. They're a giant bobby pin without the crimps.

BlazingHeart
September 3rd, 2013, 01:09 AM
Bobby pins and I just don't get along. My hair is just too thick and too heavy. Even just pulling back the hair at my temples is too much for bobby pins. I do much better with snap-barrettes.

I watched that video unknown posted with the woman putting all her hair up with one pin - yeowch! If I tried to do that, just trying to get the pin over all of my hair and then 'see-sawing' it over would be severely painful, and I doubt I could make the pin do that without ripping out a chunk of hair from where I wove it into my scalp hair.

Aemelia
September 3rd, 2013, 01:28 AM
I find with my hair, they sort of back out of a bun and with smaller bits of hair the slide down. I use, what here are called just "hair pins" but I've noticed in America are called Amish pins.

Mainesongbird
September 6th, 2013, 08:24 PM
So long as you aren't ripping them out of your head, you should be good, I used them almost on the daily!

rosey4exclaim
September 6th, 2013, 08:34 PM
Some kinds can be kind of damaging, especially if they don't have a good cap on the end. When the cheap kind get old, the corners of the metal wear through the cap and can snag on your hair. I use Sally's, and they're really good quality (the cap stays on and they don't bend out of shape as often). As long as you're gentle, they should be fine.

rosey4exclaim
September 6th, 2013, 08:37 PM
I find with my hair, they sort of back out of a bun and with smaller bits of hair the slide down. I use, what here are called just "hair pins" but I've noticed in America are called Amish pins.

Okay, so I had to look up Amish pins, and I found this: http://www.amishworkshops.com/among-the-amish/pinning-up-amish-hair.html I have to try it now, although perhaps without the bonnet! :D

chen bao jun
September 6th, 2013, 08:40 PM
practicung with bobby pins and they work much better

longNred
September 6th, 2013, 09:02 PM
I'm obviously not doing it right, cause I've never been able to use them to hold any style. My hair spits them out. However, stylists have managed to make them work on me, updos for wedding and such.... For me, the damage comes when I have to fish them out. I prefer spins, one big one can hold my hair up all day, and it's easy for me to just twist out. No fishing necessary.

Nadine <3
September 6th, 2013, 09:29 PM
I use them! My hair is shoulder length with a lot of short layers so I cant do many buns with it yet. I'm growing out my bangs and they're at that annoying stage...just long enough to get in the way, but to short to go behind your ears! I like to make a french braid in the front with my bangs and I use bobby bins to secure the ends behind my ear. No damage and I've been using them for a long time. Just remove them carefully like others have said.

Crumpet
September 6th, 2013, 10:12 PM
I used to use them...and then I discovered hair sticks and spin pins. I rarely use my bobby pins anymore. I think that they are slightly less gentle than spin pins and hair sticks, but not terribly so. You don't need tons to hold a do but they're not as efficient or easy.

Aemelia
September 7th, 2013, 02:57 AM
Okay, so I had to look up Amish pins, and I found this: http://www.amishworkshops.com/among-the-amish/pinning-up-amish-hair.html I have to try it now, although perhaps without the bonnet! :D
Hehehe, it's a wonder the poor little thing doesn't have a terrible headache. I counted 2 hairslides, a ponytail holder, the "Amish pins", a thick bun net, and then the prayercap pinned with what looked like sewing pins!