PDA

View Full Version : Clarifying shampoo disaster!

princess-royal
August 31st, 2013, 08:58 PM
Okay so long story short, I did something very stupid and used clarifying shampoo on my hair twice a week for about 3 months. As expected, my hair currently looks dull, dry and lifeless and I just hate it. I know it was a mistake but can it be rescued? If I switch to a non clarifying shampoo, will the life come back into it?

melusine963
August 31st, 2013, 09:04 PM
I would try a good moisture treatment. You could also use coconut oil as a leave-in. Unless there's mechanical or chemical damage involved it should be possible to save your hair.

Firefox7275
August 31st, 2013, 09:42 PM
Okay so long story short, I did something very stupid and used clarifying shampoo on my hair twice a week for about 3 months. As expected, my hair currently looks dull, dry and lifeless and I just hate it. I know it was a mistake but can it be rescued? If I switch to a non clarifying shampoo, will the life come back into it?

Likely not, hair is dead it does not repair itself. The best you can do is to treat the damage with ingredients like coconut oil, hydrolysed protein, ceramides, 18-MEA and panthenol. You might consider conditioner only washing.

Panth
September 1st, 2013, 04:03 AM
This:

Likely not, hair is dead it does not repair itself. The best you can do is to treat the damage with ingredients like coconut oil, hydrolysed protein, ceramides, 18-MEA and panthenol. You might consider conditioner only washing.

Is completely true. The only way to remove the damage is to cut it off.

However, it is quite likely that you could improve the look and feel of it by using some moisturising treatments, maybe some oil and (if your that way inclined) some 'cones. That will probably reduce the dullness, dryness and tangling, which will make you feel better but will also prevent even MORE damage from occurring because it keeps getting knotted.

sarahthegemini
September 1st, 2013, 06:43 AM
Omg may I ask why you used clarifying 'poo so much?! I can't imagine how dried out your hair must be. If I were you, I'd try co-washing or cwc-ing. Initially, on a daily basis to improve your hairs condition and texture and then stretch to co-washing/cwc-ing just as often as needed (say, 2x weekly for example) I'd also experiment with deep treatments and/or coconut oil pre-wash oilings.

eta: I'd also think about going 'cone free. As silicones might prevent/limit moisture being absorbed by your hair.

XcaliburGirl
September 1st, 2013, 06:54 AM
I don't think you should write your hair off as damaged just yet, it may just be a bit dry. I agree with trying some moisturizing treatments and switching to a different shampoo for a while.

Incidentally, the shampoo I use is labelled clarifying shampoo. I don't use it full strength on my length though. I just shampoo my scalp/roots, while some suds drip down. Mine may be more gentle than what you are using, though. My point is, no need to feel bad or panic since you may be able to remedy the situation.

lapushka
September 1st, 2013, 07:04 AM

That's a long period of time to use clarifying shampoo for! I agree with the moisture/conditioner comments. Put some TLC back into your hair, meaning a nice deep mask or good thick or moisturizing conditioner.

Vivalagina
September 1st, 2013, 07:12 AM
I find SMT works for putting moisture back into my hair. If you Google it you should be able to find the big thread.

princess-royal
September 1st, 2013, 07:13 AM
I think I ended up using it because I was concerned about build-up in my hair and I fell out of love with my usual shampoo, and using a cheap clarifying shampoo seemed easy and convenient because it also initially made my hair look good and I was sick of spending a fortune on shampoos which more often than not didn't get on with my hair. It became a habit and I just forgot about what it was actually doing to my hair. In all fairness, my hair doesn't look THAT bad - the end parts, which have endured years of bleaching, look quite dull and lifeless, but there's some shine on my natural hair towards the top, and my hair still feels soft. It still gets oily at the top and back and I have used a boar bristle brush for months. My hair feels uber fine and lightweight which I actually hate. I don't think I can bear the thought of only being able to rescue it by growing it all out, seeing as I've been growing out my bleach damage for about 4 years and I still have several inches of that to get rid of! I always found coconut oil very greasy and hard to get out of my hair but I'm going to try some on the ends. Do people just buy the tubs full of coconut oil or do you buy diluted solutions in bottles?

XcaliburGirl
September 1st, 2013, 07:29 AM
I think maybe the key here is that the bleached hair is what feels dry. The bleached portions probably need more gentle moisturizing treatment than the natural hair.

Regarding coconut oil, it's the pure coconut oil that is solid when cold.

lapushka
September 1st, 2013, 08:00 AM
I think maybe the key here is that the bleached hair is what feels dry. The bleached portions probably need more gentle moisturizing treatment than the natural hair.

I agree. If there's damage in your ends (bleach damage!) and the rest of your hair feels soft, it's *not* the shampoo!

longhairedwolf
September 1st, 2013, 08:18 AM
Your hair will be fine. It's just very dry. Moisturize it regularly, especially with deep treatments such as olive oil, lay off the harsh shampoos, and it should be fine.

spidermom
September 1st, 2013, 08:59 AM
A few deep treatments, maybe once per week, should put things right again. I thought I destroyed my hair with baking soda years ago, but my hair recovered after a couple of weeks.

Silverbrumby
September 1st, 2013, 09:52 AM
Try Aussie three minute miracle on dry hair for 6 hours with a cap. Wash it out with no poo. See if that helps. If it does follow upv with a good sulfate free poo and rich conditioner.

jacqueline101
September 1st, 2013, 04:00 PM
I'd oil with coconut oil leave it in all day wear your hair up until you shampoo the next day.

battles
September 1st, 2013, 04:55 PM
I'd try switching to CO washing or using sulfate free shampoo for awhile, and deep treatments once in awhile.

henné
September 1st, 2013, 05:19 PM
You'll be alright.

Just do the SMT treatment everyone is advising you to do and start at least diluting your shampoo when washing (stay away from SLS shampoos). I use clarifying shampoo about once a month and that's plenty enough. Even then I heavily dilute it and it still works. Now you just have to condition, condition and condition. Apply oil on wet/conditioned hair (not dripping wet, but about, I dunno, 60% dry hair, that should help as well.)

Good luck!

Firefox7275
September 1st, 2013, 05:31 PM
I agree. If there's damage in your ends (bleach damage!) and the rest of your hair feels soft, it's *not* the shampoo!

Persulphate bleach or otherwise being porous makes hair more vulnerable to other sorts of damage.
http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/curl-products/curlchemist-porosity-and-curly-hair

princess-royal
September 2nd, 2013, 06:24 PM
Maybe I'm just noticing it more lately, but although my hair feels quite soft it also feels really fine and wispy. I don't get any poof or volume when I wash it anymore :(