PDA

View Full Version : The worst hair cut of my life

wavestogrow
September 2nd, 2008, 04:39 PM
Okay, there are just no words to describe the cut I received. I have no idea what they were thinking. I walked in for a trim (my hair was almost down to my waist). I wanted to get a deva cut because the underneath layer of my hair is wavy while the top layer is curlier and I wanted them to even out the look and enhance the curls. That is what I asked for at least. This is what I got. shudder:It's like 2 years of growth that they cut away. There was enough hair on the ground to make a wig with.
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k308/cherbearz6/035.jpg

Just for reference, this was the before pic:
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k308/cherbearz6/IMG_1412-1.jpg
So anyways, I obviously am not happy with the cut. That's what they called LONG layers and not taking much off! I have cried about it but now I am ready to move on and grow it out again.
My question is how in the world do I grow it out? :confused:
-Buns don't work well since less than half my hair is longer than my shoulders and the short hairs stick out.
-ponytails show a few scraggly ends hanging there so I would have to tuck them under to look okay

I am seriously tempted to cut my hair to shoulder length again honestly. It just looks so rediculous to me like this. It looks like my hair has been thinned out and butchered. I have this poof ball of hair around my face and scraggly bits for the length. This is what my hair looks like air dried. I'm sure I could get it curlier by diffusing it, but I'm not sure that really helps the look. Help! :(

Alethia
September 2nd, 2008, 04:43 PM
I am so sorry that they butchered your hair like this. No wonder you're upset. I don't normally advocate cutting hair, but those underlayers are so obviously thin, I would trim it to at least APL before the longhaul of growing it back in. If you can't face cutting it in a oner, then 1" trims each month until it has caught up, would be less traumatic.

PseudoScot
September 2nd, 2008, 04:49 PM
Oh my gosh! I don't know what a deva cut is, but the top photo is way different than the 2nd one.

First things first - your hair looks beautiful, no matter how it's cut, OK? Seriously, it looks gorgeous.

However, being honest, it does look like two different cuts. There is the long stuff and then the shorter stuff. But don't give up! It WILL grow back.

I don't think you need to cut to shoulder. What I would do is perhaps keep growing it and when the thicker, shorter parts start moving South, get it trimmed into more of a U shape, or even a bit of a V shape. So you can get the long ends trimmed and then a sort of smoothed edging and they'll start to meet more.

In the mean time, I am sure some updos will still work but I'm nowhere near a curly and dont know where to start on recommendations for those...

But please do know you still have gorgeous hair and with some time and TLC it will be fine soon :flowers:

Catladyintown
September 2nd, 2008, 04:51 PM
Hi Wavestogrow I am sorry to here about your hair cut. Did the hairdresser know what a Deva cut was? Also did she cut curly hair before? I agree with Alethia you need to just trim it off, I also don't advocate cutting but their is not much you can do. So sorry you have to start over again.:grouphug:

Arctic
September 2nd, 2008, 04:55 PM
I'm so sorry this happened to you :( I can only imagine how it looked before the owner of the salon corrected it. If it was my hair I would propably cut the underlayer, maybe APL like Alethia suggested. Good thing is your hair looks really good and healthy otherwise!

If you don't want to cut, you could wrap the longer hair around the base of the ponytail few times so it will even out the length difference with the rest of the ponytail, and I find that kind of "hair band" very stylish looking. And for bun you could braid the longer part and wrap it around the bun.

Hopefully others have more ideas for you!

anna1850
September 2nd, 2008, 04:56 PM
Good lord, someone should fire that hairdresser! I'm glad you're feeling better about it now because I know I'd be gutted if I had so much taken off. I think in your position I would cut back. I normally wouldn't cut but the ends are really thin and it doesn't look normal the way that fairytale ends do. It just looks like a really strange haircut to be honest. You could maybe get it restyle somehow to try and salvage it but you might end up losing even more so I think maybe a simple cut to get rid of the longest layers is best.

At least your actual hair is super pretty, even if the cut wasn't good at all.

Just remember that hair grows and you'll get your length back in time.

ETA: If you did want to do buns without layers sticking out then I know a lot of people use a hairagami to do that. They're kind of tricky to get the hang of at first but after that it's easy and the way it's rolled up means the layers won't stick out. Or an EZbun (material version of a hairagami) would do the trick too I think.

spidermom
September 2nd, 2008, 04:56 PM
Personally, I think you need the length to balance the fullness/curliness on the top. If it were me, I'd fasten it back into some kind of up-do that cascades down the back every day - like the peacock twist or french twist with the ends left out. Every month, I'd cut 1/2-1 inch off the longest part on the very bottom.

jojo
September 2nd, 2008, 05:00 PM
I have to agree that your hair does look like 2 different cuts and although I hate the thought of cutting, I have to agree a cut to apl may be the best option.

I know exactly how you are feeling, I went into a hairdressers in 2005 with waist length hair and walked out with a pixie the back was so short I could not grab it; I asked to be cut to mid back to get rid of some layers i had.

I am so sorry you have encountered this. x x{{{{hugs}}}} x x

wintersun99
September 2nd, 2008, 05:04 PM

Lamb
September 2nd, 2008, 05:09 PM
Gosh. I'm so sorry about this, what was that stylis thinking????
It is sad, but I agree with those who say you need to cut it back. I make no bones about it, if I were you, I'd cut those "long layers" back and even out the length. But I am the impatient kind, if you are not, just do regular trims until it is all fine.

YOur hair is so beautiful, with perfect curls! :flowers: I'm so sorry this happened.

Cinnamon Hair
September 2nd, 2008, 05:10 PM
Oh my! I would be crying with results like that too. It's not that your hair looks bad now, but it looked perfect before! That hairstylist obviously didn't know what he/she was doing. As much as I hate cutting, I would probably leave it at the current length and do a half-up in a bun when I wanted to wear it down. That way the thinning would be less noticable. My sympathies. I see why you would be tempted to cut more. Up to you really.

FrannyG
September 2nd, 2008, 05:11 PM
I think that to a non-LHCer that would look like a really cool cut. It is a really cool cut, but I completely understand that you were not going for that look.

Your hair is still looking healthy. Your waves are still gorgeous.

I understand your temptation to cut off the long layers, but I really think that regular trims are a better option. I'm sure there are some updos you'll be able to pull off. You just haven't figured them out yet.

Experiment with peacock twists, and other such styles. Go to the curly girl thread and see what they have to say, because those of us with straight hair really have no idea.

I'm just really sorry that you're going through this. I really am. :blossom:

k_hepburn
September 2nd, 2008, 05:17 PM
I'm so sorry for how you must be feeling right now!

:grouphug:

I've recently had a "trim" that took me back from hip to above waist, only to discvover when I returned home that pulled forward the left and the right side were clearly not of the same length - but having lost that much length I just wasn't prepared to go back to have it corrected and risk loosing even more length.

The good news indeed is that your hair does look absolutely gorgeous whatever the length. But yes, that is a bad cut, I am very sorry to say. What you want to do about it really depends on what you decide is easier to live with for you. Keeping the hair as it is until you've re-gained some length, then rectify the thinness of the ends gradually, or have it taken back further to achieve a more even look now, then start growing it out again from there. I don't think you would have to take it back to shoulder length, my guess is that if you had it taken up to armpit length, the looked should be improved quite a bit already - provided the hairdresser does not attempt any new layering and basically just gives it a very slightly curved cut across.

It will take some time to get back to the stage where you'll consider yourself a serious longhair, but you'll get there, and don't forget, for most people out there anything below shoulder already qualifies as "long". And, of course, no hair cut can take away from you the ability to regrow those amazing, beautiful curls.

{{{{Hugs}}}}

katharine

ktani
September 2nd, 2008, 05:22 PM
wavestogrow

I am so sorry that this happened to you.

Your hair is still beautiful, IMO.

I would do nothing right away.

If they put product in your hair, it will affect how it looks and behaves.

Wash it when you normally do and get used to it for a bit.

Then decide if you can live with it as is while it grows out.

xrosiex
September 2nd, 2008, 05:27 PM
Oh my gosh! I don't know what a deva cut is, but the top photo is way different than the 2nd one.

First things first - your hair looks beautiful, no matter how it's cut, OK? Seriously, it looks gorgeous.

However, being honest, it does look like two different cuts. There is the long stuff and then the shorter stuff. But don't give up! It WILL grow back.

I don't think you need to cut to shoulder. What I would do is perhaps keep growing it and when the thicker, shorter parts start moving South, get it trimmed into more of a U shape, or even a bit of a V shape. So you can get the long ends trimmed and then a sort of smoothed edging and they'll start to meet more.

In the mean time, I am sure some updos will still work but I'm nowhere near a curly and dont know where to start on recommendations for those...

But please do know you still have gorgeous hair and with some time and TLC it will be fine soon :flowers:

I totaly agree with Pseudoscot. Your hair is still really beautiful!!!

ladyshannonanne
September 2nd, 2008, 05:28 PM
I agree with FrannyG. To the world of non-LHCer's, that is a really cool and fashionable haircut.

I had a haircut last November that took me from almost BSL to an ear-length bob. It was devastating. I'd sit in front of the mirror and fuss over it for an hour at a time. But you know what's funny, my husband thought it looked great and I got lots of compliments on it. It wasn't what I wanted, but it wasn't that bad, either.

I think the way your hair is cut is sort of like the stylist tried to to a scene or emo cut, with the really drastic layering. Problem is, you're a curly, and you don't straighten your beautiful waves!

It's totally up to you, but either pull it up for the next six months and don't fret over it, or go get it cut to APL. But try to find a curly hair expert. There's a website called NaturallyCurly.com, and you can find user reviews on curly-cutters in your area, which is pretty neat. (I had curly hair until I got pregnant; now it's wavy, go figure.)

Best of luck. Your hair is still beautiful, and it's made to keep growing. Start a count down for when your hair will be back to the length you were at before.

lora410
September 2nd, 2008, 05:31 PM
what in the world were them morons thinking? You hair still look beautiful and I would just grow and trim gradually so it isn't even more devastating for you.

TammySue
September 2nd, 2008, 05:32 PM
I'm so sorry you aren't happy with your hair. It is still beautiful, like you, but I can see why you are so upset. :grouphug:

alligatorbaby23
September 2nd, 2008, 05:38 PM
Just wanted to chime in and say I am so sorry this happened to you! It will grow back, but that is not an easy thing to accept. I would have used those scissors on the "cutter". She/He couldn't be called a stylist.
Sorry again.
-mao

TheSpottedCow
September 2nd, 2008, 05:40 PM
If I were you I would do trims until it grows out.. I myself had a bad dye job and damage/breakage that I trimmed off slowly. It was tedious but I don't regret it. I think it will only take a few months for this to start to look better. Right now the shortest layers are just SO short.

Can you enhance the curl of the bottom layer without damaging it too much? If you could just get the bottom layer to be a little curlier it wouldn't look so dramatically different. You could also try straightening it for a while, to make the layers look longer on top... again, there are non damaging methods on here.

I'm sorry this happened to you. When I had the damage and breakage it was due to a bad stylist (not trying to stylist bash. I've had great stylists who have helped me grow my hair.) it can be really really upsetting. Looking at the before and after pic I can definately see why you are upset, but if I saw you out in public with the after pic without knowing what it looked like before, I wouldn't be shocked by it or anything. Then again, half the women in my family have that haircut...

If you do want to cut it, I agree with the APL suggestion. I don't think you need to cut all the way to shoulder.

BTW when you wear it in a bun/ponytail you could use a big headscarf or something, for a more casual look. A lot of celebrities seem to do this and pair it with some sunglasses.

Arctic_Mama
September 2nd, 2008, 05:42 PM
Oh my god, your beautiful hair!!! I'd have bawled too, she committed a travesty on your head. I would wonder if she knew what the heck a devacut was, and if she did, why she was cutting people's hair while legally blind (and dumb!).

I second the other ladies - I'd be tempted to just hack it off, but it's so much work to grow curly hair out that long and it's still beautiful, in spite of the cut. I'd say either take it off an inch or two at a time as the rest grows or use styles that can pin the ends under and make them not noticeable, then when it is APL or BSL even it up.

Your hair is stunning, and that it still looks so stunning despite what she did to it says volumes about your care!

Juneii
September 2nd, 2008, 05:43 PM
you know, that's what I wonder too when the person cut my hair. the hair stylist cut off a bunch of my hair because he said it was too thick and then added long layers. beginning of summer my longest layer was to my waist and the shortest at my neck T____T

it is up to you, but I do think you should cut off the thin bits, it will make your hair look fuller and longer.

DMARTINEZ
September 2nd, 2008, 05:50 PM
I would cut to the shortest part. This is just MY opinion . Then you can start afresh and
forget the horrible cut. But you must do what is most comfortable to you! Sorry it
turned out this way. :flowers:

Deb

Tap Dancer
September 2nd, 2008, 06:01 PM
The top of your hair still looks thick and full of bounce and curls. It's beautiful. I think shoulder length would be a good length because it'll get rid of the thin bottom that doesn't match the top. I'm sorry; I know that's not what you really want to do... :(

DecafJane
September 2nd, 2008, 06:08 PM
Wow. Just . . . wow. I'm SO SORRY that this happened to you!!! You must feel devastated.

To help you get over this, I would type out a formal letter of complaint and include the two pictures you have just shown us and let them know your feelings. I have googled "deva cut" and could not find ANYTHING that looked like what she did to your hair. Management need to be informed so that she doesn't do it to anybody else again.

Looking at your hair as it is now, I think that if you trimmed the longest layer to APL it would even it up a lot, and at least you can say that your longest layers are at "APL". ;)

Can you do a french twist and pin the shorter parts back with pins? That is my stand-by style right now. How about sock buns?
If you shortened the longest layer, putting it up in a twist could look good, too.
Also, what about a low french braid, or two french braids?

I received a metal barrette from Speharb yesterday, and was playing with it as I haven't had anything like it until now. I can use it to hold a french braid in place by tucking the end of the braid up under the rest of the hair, and then putting the barrette on top of the braid - it is so wide and flat that it actually holds many of the layers quite well. :)

Good luck! Again, I'm so sorry that they did this to your hair.

Nes
September 2nd, 2008, 06:50 PM
I'm so sorry this happened, but what others have said is true - your hair is still so beautiful.

Have you complained to the salon about it? Don't be afraid to stand up for yourself! That is a poorly done haircut and you shouldn't have to just accept it!

I would say you have 2 options -

1) Trim back the longest layers to apl to even things up

2) Wait for the shorter layers to grow out, practice updo's and be patient! Half ups (if you like them) might be a good option for disguising the problem.

I know it's a cliche, but it will grow. It will not be like this forever. We are all here for you in the meantime whatever you choose to do, and we all understand how upsetting this can be. Do let us know what you choose to do and there will be plenty of suggestions to help along the way.

Nes x

busnutmedic
September 2nd, 2008, 07:02 PM
:( I'm sorry they didn't know what you wanted done! I can't imagine anyone would think that's just a trim.

paulap20
September 2nd, 2008, 07:17 PM
This is how my hair has looked while growing out my short hair cut. I have been cutting the bottom layer every 6 months or so and then it's about three inches. It is slowly getting there and looking thicker. As for styles I'm mostly stuck in ponytail tucked under and wearing it down. My hair is thin to begin with.

CurlyNinja
September 2nd, 2008, 07:18 PM
I'm so sorry to hear about this, waves2grow. I can see why you're upset, even though it IS still pretty (it's YOUR hair, how could it not be? ;)). Sending you good growing energy and lots of hugs.

Euphony
September 2nd, 2008, 07:26 PM
OMG I want to hug you and slap the hair dresser! I read about this in your blog, I'd hate to have seen what it looked like before the owner fixed it. Boy I don't know what I'd do in this situation. Probably like spidermom suggested a peacock twist or something of the sort until it grows out.

rhodochrosite
September 2nd, 2008, 07:44 PM
If this happened to me, I would try to style the haircut myself for a week or two before making any decisions. I would try different styling products to see if they made a difference as well. If the cut still made me very upset, I would cut off an inch each week until I felt it looked satisfactory to my eyes, and then I'd start regrowing. I'm sorry this happened to you.

p.s. Your hair is really beautiful.

curly girl fla
September 2nd, 2008, 07:45 PM
You know, my goal is to have your hair-before or after. But, man, that is not a deva cut, and I'm so sorry you're suffering. Your hair happens to look beautiful with it, but it is an anti-deva cut. It does everything the deva concept tries to avoid, IMO. My last cut was a deva cut, and she did all she could to keep the length I had. It's been way to long since I've had a trim, and I am so thrilled to have a deva-trained stylist within 2.5 hours of me that I adore. I don't remember if you said anything about this, but I sure hope they didn't make you pay-not because it's a bad cut, per se, but because it is not what she agreed to do. I think you shouldn't make a rash decision to cut or trim just yet. Let your hair get over the normal "shock", keep styling in your familiar fashion and then see how it settles. Curly hair is forgiving, and you'll probably want to do small period trims. I, personally wouldn't want to cut to the shortest point just yet. Good luck.

girlcat36
September 2nd, 2008, 07:58 PM
Oh, honey!! I am so sorry, I would be very upset, too!
Your hair is still pretty, though.
You are one of my LHC idols, and now(sad to say) your ends look like what I am struggling with. And it is a struggle to keep on growing, and not trim back to the fullest part. I do a lot of half ups to diguise the disparity in thickness.
I really do feel your pain.:grouphug:

darkwaves
September 2nd, 2008, 08:11 PM
That is just astonishing. I've been trying to figure out what the stylist thought she was doing, but I'm baffled. I mean, it's cute, but your 'before' hair was perfection. And it will be again!

I'd suggest following the advice from spidermom and others, and trimming a little off the bottom each month. Pretty soon, it will reach a stage when the two parts are close enough together you won't notice the difference.

Hugs, sweetie.

a12345
September 2nd, 2008, 08:27 PM
:grouphug: I don't have a lot more to add to the advice that you already have here, just wanted to say I'm really sorry about your haircut. As someone with a similar hair type (though yours is a bit more consistently curly then mine), I feel your pain! Personally, I'd see what I could cobble together style wise for a week or two and then I'd probably trim an inch or two off the bottom half just to shorten the difference and then trim the bottom while the top grows down. Your hair is absolutely gorgeous, though! Best wishes!

Darkhorse1
September 2nd, 2008, 09:16 PM
I am SO sorry that happened! I'm not familiar with different types of cuts for curly hair, but ...I can't understand what they did. You have two distinct differences in layers.

I'd take those photos and return to the salon and at least demand your money back. That is just WRONG.

It will look better once you even up the length, but as you've had so much cut, perhaps just do a braid for awhile until the top layers grow and then even them up slowly?

((HUGS)) to you. Take this opportunity to play with different hair toys and styles. I know it sucks, and we've ALL been there.

Darkhorse1
September 2nd, 2008, 09:22 PM
Just did a search on what type of hair cut you wanted, and I'd contact the people who invented this cut and mention the salon. I think the person who does this would be interested in knowing what happened to you.

PseudoScot
September 2nd, 2008, 09:24 PM
Just did a search on what type of hair cut you wanted, and I'd contact the people who invented this cut and mention the salon. I think the person who does this would be interested in knowing what happened to you.

That's not a bad idea, actually.

I'm not the sort that would be calling for blood, or for the guy to get fired, but maybe some training might help? I am sure he feels very bad for upsetting you.

Speedbump
September 2nd, 2008, 10:16 PM
Holy crap! I am so sorry. The hair you have left is still beautiful, but how could they possibly think they did a good job? My god. That is unreal that they honestly thought that wasn't "a lot" of hair taken off or that it looked like a professional cut. If I were you, I would tell everyone you know about the job they did on you and let the word of mouth advertising do its work.

As for a course of action, I can only tell you what I would do, and take it or leave it as you like: I would cut the middle/back as long as I could possibly get away with and not look weird with the main part of the length that is left on the sides. Then I would leave it alone until I couldn't stand it anymore, and trim as little as possible when I absolutely had to.

Good luck to you, and again, I am so sorry this happened to your beautiful curls. :(

Islandgrrl
September 2nd, 2008, 10:59 PM
Oh my goodness. I cannot even believe that someone did that to your hair. I'd be freaked out and upset, too.

But it's not all bad! Even if it's not the best haircut, your hair is flat-out gorgeous. The curls are fabulous and it's clearly healthy and shiny. I'd maximize the positive here - wear it up and get regular trims until the layers are grown out. I think the idea for putting it up in peacock twists and cascading updos is a really good one.

And never, ever set foot in that salon again. :flower:

longhairedfairy
September 3rd, 2008, 12:00 AM
Oh, sweetie, I'm so sorry!
You still look beautiful! *hugs*

wavestogrow
September 3rd, 2008, 01:22 AM
Wow so many replies!

Alethia: thank you for your opinion. I am tempted to cut it back. But it is so hard for me to chop off 7 inches of my hair no matter how bad it looks. I may end up doing it though.

Pseudoscot: First of all thank you for the compliment. I really have grown to love my curls and I am glad that the stylist couldn’t take the curls away. They sure can take away the length though can’t they! I agree it is like two cuts. Everyone in that place had shoulder length hair. I think he just pretended to somewhat follow my wishes by leaving that ¼ of my hair somewhat long. I think you gave some really good advice. Thank you so much for taking the time to write your thoughts here. (it just goes to show your thoughts are brilliant no matter what the topic ;))

Catladyintown: Yes, she knew what a deva cut was but I didn’t end up receiving a deva cut. The woman was a jr. stylist at the salon (even though she was deva certified). The problem is, the man she was taking orders from wasn’t deva certified and he instructed her to cut my hair as she did despite what I told her I wanted. He ended up further thinning out my ends once she finished what he told her too. :(

Arctic, sweet friend of mine, you are always here for me. I tried your style suggestion and it worked really well. I braided the long part of my hair and wrapped it around the rest of my hair like a ponytail, then I pinned down the curls and had a cute curly bun kind of look. I’m not sure if I have it in me to cut to arm pit length just yet. I’ll give it a few weeks and see if the look is driving me insane yet.

Anna1850, using a hairagami is a great idea. I honestly didn’t even know what it was, but I looked it up and that might work. I’m not sure if the short layers will be long enough to roll a bun yet but it probably will be soon. Thank you!

Spidermom, your response was really helpful to me. I most likely will end up following exactly what you wrote. I think I will just end up cutting off my growth every month and take really good care of the rest of my hair. I remember having some fun playing around with peacock twists and French twists with the curls cascading..most of my hair is that length again so I might as well have fun with it.

Jojo: Oh my goodness! That really is different from what you asked for. I am not anti-stylist. I believe that there are some really good stylists out there. But as we know there are also some really bad ones too! As much as I have been afraid to cut my own hair because it always seems to be crooked, I am now more afraid of stylists! I think this will be my last salon hair cut.

Wintersun99: I have thought about doing that, but I mean I have already gone in there and thrown a fit. Many of their customers have already heard how unhappy I am. I have talked to every person in that salon including the owner about how unhappy I am. I am not sure what showing them my before and after picture will do. The stylist just gave a million silly excuses for why he took so much off the length and stood by his decision. He told me to call back if I wasn’t crazy about the cut when I tried styling it myself and he would be happy to give me advice. I suppose I could call the stylist back but I really just want him out of my life as I found him to be very rude and conceited. He is one of the “top” stylists there, blah blah blah

Thank you Lamb! I think cutting back slowly will probably be the route for me. Cutting a little at a time until the ends meet will help me to see the progress little by little I think. I might get super impatient that I have been growing forever and still have short hair if I don’t have that longer hair to remind me that I SHOULD have longer hair. :p

Cinnamon Hair: With hair like yours you must be doing something right! I would follow any advice you’d give me lol. I’m sure half-up buns will be a regular style for me. Thank you for your feedback.

Hi FrannyG, :D I am sure someone must like it but I don’t know who… I think it’s the most horrid cut! I think loose wavy hair or straight hair could probably pull off the style the best-if you call it a style that is. Thank you for your kind, soothing words Franny. :flowers:

K_hepburn: Wow, thanks for taking the time to write all of that. I am very sorry to hear that you also had a haircut experience that you weren’t happy with. Gosh, what you said about my curls just made my day! (((Hugs))) back to you!!

Ktani: that sounds look sound advice. I will try to get used to it for a bit before doing anything drastic. Then, I’ll take it from there. Thanks.

Xroseix: Thank you for repeating PseudoScot’s wonderful post and for your compliment! It doesn’t seem like there are a lot of curl lovers IRL so it’s always overwhelming to receive all those curl compliments here.

Ladyshannonanne: I agree, I think that is what they were trying to do. But I did tell him that I always wear my hair curly and he did tell me (with a lot of anger in his voice) that I would be able to wear my hair curly still! And ironically, I found their salon from naturallycurly.com under the curlysalons section. I could see how for someone who always straightens, that salon could seem curl friendly as I even heard one of the stylists trying to talk someone out of straightening their hair. They however were definitely not long hair friendly! I am certainly going to be leaving my opinion about that salon on naturallycurly.

Lora410: that is exactly what I think I will do. It annoys me how quickly and thoughtlessly another could cut all that hair off as I have never been able to cut off more than 1 inch at a time on my own hair (that is a major cut to me). Oh well, no more hair salons for me and I will just trim it myself from now on.

TammySue: awww you’re the sweetest!! You are also a beauty (inside and out).

Alligatorbaby23: haha your post made me laugh. Thanks, I needed that. The problem is that the stylist was bald. That should have been a sign huh?

TheSpottedCow: I do think I can get the ends curlier. I mean I still won’t like the cut, but I suppose it won’t look as bad then. I just need to gel up that longer hair I imagine. It has always been so fine that the curls just slip out of that hair. Good idea about the headscarves too. I have a few in a drawer that I have never even worn, I should pull them out. Thank you very much.

Arctic_Mama: LOL All the stylists at the salon had these huge heads. They have cut celebrities hair before. It was actually a very high end salon. I didn’t mind paying a little more if they would know how to work with curly hair though. Sigh, they obviously didn’t. Yes, it does take a lot of TLC and patience to grow out curly hair. I am wondering if I can stand waiting another two years just to get it to the length that it was a few weeks ago. I guess I will have to. Thanks for your post and for understanding!

Okay, I will have to finish these replies tomorrow. I am so tired; it’s 2am. I really do appreciate every reply. I knew I could count on you all for support and to give me more options than I could think of on my own.

goldenwaves
September 3rd, 2008, 01:32 AM
Oh my goodness!! How horrible!! Oh those idiots! Could they be any dumber? How could they do that? Oh I'm so sorry, what a huge shame. I don't even know what to suggest. That's just so bad!! I really feel for you!!

Calista
September 3rd, 2008, 01:48 AM
Wavestogrow, I am so sorry for you.That cut looks truly awful. :grouphug: I had a very similar cut right before I joined LHC. Like you, it was not at all what I wanted, and I ended up chopping back to shoulder in an attempt to remedy the situation. Looking back, I don´t think I´d do that again, because the great thing is you´ve still got length enough for updos. There must be some styles that work even with that awkward cut. I think it would be wise to follow Spidermom´s advice and trim off an inch every month.

I hope you didn´t pay for this? :?

Shanarana
September 3rd, 2008, 01:53 AM
Just woke up to this thread and my jaw dropped. I'm so sorry you had such an experience with a hairdresser that apparently has no clue what she/he is doing. Curly hair is very different to cut than straight hair and takes special attention to get good results.

k_hepburn
September 3rd, 2008, 01:56 AM
(...)
Wintersun99: I have thought about doing that, but I mean I have already gone in there and thrown a fit. Many of their customers have already heard how unhappy I am. I have talked to every person in that salon including the owner about how unhappy I am. I am not sure what showing them my before and after picture will do. The stylist just gave a million silly excuses for why he took so much off the length and stood by his decision. He told me to call back if I wasn’t crazy about the cut when I tried styling it myself and he would be happy to give me advice. I suppose I could call the stylist back but I really just want him out of my life as I found him to be very rude and conceited. He is one of the “top” stylists there, blah blah blah

(...)

Ladyshannonanne: I agree, I think that is what they were trying to do. But I did tell him that I always wear my hair curly and he did tell me (with a lot of anger in his voice) that I would be able to wear my hair curly still! And ironically, I found their salon from naturallycurly.com under the curlysalons section. I could see how for someone who always straightens, that salon could seem curl friendly as I even heard one of the stylists trying to talk someone out of straightening their hair. They however were definitely not long hair friendly! I am certainly going to be leaving my opinion about that salon on naturallycurly.

That is their idea to deal with a customer who is unhappy? Basically, to tell you that you've got no idea what's good for you (short hair!), and if you're to dumb to style their great cut properly they will graciously consent to educate you on it?

I agree, there is no point in going back there to complain again - pictures or not they are so convinced that they know and have a right to dictate what look you should be sporting they will never see anything but proof of their own genius in those before and after pics.

Go right ahead and warn everybody within hearing about this salon, though. Shocking!!!

katharine

Ranee
September 3rd, 2008, 02:21 AM
Hi wavestogrow. Looks like we are in a similar position! 3 months ago I went for a trim and ended up with the same haircut you have now. Two big chunks just past shoulder lenght en a few pieces of hair hanging down the back. My advice: don't do anything just yet. Wait a while and see how you feel then. My first urge was to cut the rest up to shoulder, but I'm glad I didn't. My plan now is to wear it up for a year. It should be bsl after a year. When it hits bsl I will cut the scraglly bits off. That way a chop would be less dramatic.
And you're right. It's very frustrating having to wait at least two years for it to grow back just because of some STUPID stylist.

30isthenewblack
September 3rd, 2008, 03:02 AM
When I first saw these pictures at work, I had :steam coming out of my ears. I know you must be devastated but looking at your blog, you've got such a gorgeous face, nothing would take away from your beauty.

Moving forward, curly hair is so forgiving. I would definitely not cut your hair to the shoulders as I don't think you would be happy with that. I would do as others suggested & keep on trimming your hair every month.

If you haven't been doing so already, I would suggest taking hair vitamins to spur on the growth. I've been having a lot of success with Qsillica but I'm not sure if that is available overseas.

Arctic
September 3rd, 2008, 03:04 AM
Arctic, sweet friend of mine, you are always here for me. I tried your style suggestion and it worked really well. I braided the long part of my hair and wrapped it around the rest of my hair like a ponytail, then I pinned down the curls and had a cute curly bun kind of look. I’m not sure if I have it in me to cut to arm pit length just yet. I’ll give it a few weeks and see if the look is driving me insane yet.

Wavestogrow; I'm glad my suggestions worked!

Other style idea that came to my mind is a french twist ála Hypnotica, but in this case you braid (again braiding, lol) the underlayer and wrap it aroung the twist. Propably ordinary French twist would work too, if you manage to coil the length inside the pocket.
Or Gibson tucks and/or French roll (do it like French twist but horizontally at the nape.) TheHippyChick had a tutorial of this at the old boards, her curly hair looked really good with it!
Or, Puffy bun. I think it was HurrayforHenna who had a tutorial at the old boards, she has curly hair and it's so pretty style!
And if you're not usually sleeping on your back, you could try putting the under layer on foam curlers for the night.
And, because you'll eventually will cut the underlayer, it would be one option to use heat styling on it, the possible damage gets trimmed of some day soon enough.
I think that the jr. stylist actually had a deva training and the salon was listed on NC.com makes this even more horrible salon experience.

I'm so glad you have a quickly growing hair, it will grow back fast and you can have photographic evidence every month! And you also know that your hair can grow to long lengths, it's something I, for example, can't know of my own hair because it's never been longer than it is now :).
You could also try, if you feel like experimenting, the monistat treatment?

I think it's a good attitude to choose to have fun with this length you have, I'm sure your bouncing, shiny, beautiful, rich coloured curls turn heads everywhere! :flowers:

Lisa-Maria
September 3rd, 2008, 03:05 AM
Aww, this just proves it, some hairdressers are evil! I really like your curls and your colour though and it will grow back sooner or later. :)

Amoretti
September 3rd, 2008, 03:13 AM
I'm so sorry, sweetie. :flower:

Everybody has already given you some great updo/styling advice so I won't do that; I'll just send you a very big ((hug)) and thoughts that are positive for super fast growing hair. :flower:

P.S I think your decision to just cut away a bit every month is good. If you were to cut it all to APL you'd have triangle head. Plus if you don't lose all your length, at least you'll have updo options, which is soooo important!

pdy2kn6
September 3rd, 2008, 04:09 AM
I recommend getting that hairstylist fired. How could they do that to your nice hair? Was it a new stylist or one who you had been to for a long time? I would say either cut it to armpit length which may give you the long layers you asked for. Or if you want you hair to be wispy and fairytale ends, then just carry on letting it grow and let it sort itself out.

Just_Isabel
September 3rd, 2008, 05:36 AM
WTG, I only saw this thread now. I'm so so sorry about what they did to your hair! :-(

You already got lots of good advice, I'm glad you're finding updos that work for you and make you feel better.
I've never been to the naturallycurly site, but if this is a possibility, I'd post about the experience you had and include the before and after pictures. :agree:

I don't have an opinion about whether or not you should cut your hair even shorter because of the drastic layers, but if you do decide to cut, I'd make sure it's not an impulsive decision. Make sure you try all other possibilities (different up dos, different ways of styling your hair, etc.) so you know you're just not happy with your hair as it is before you cut even more. And even after all that, don't forget the 2 week rule.
If you do decide to cut, I'd cut to APL, not shoulder length!
I'm at shoulder now, and I can tell you, it's a PITA. :lol:

Again, I'm very sorry you have to go through this, and I'm so mad at the salon for not only cutting your hair in such a way, but to be all conceited about it on top of it! :mad: :steam

Hugs to you, and I hope your hair grows fast! :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

Darkhorse1
September 3rd, 2008, 05:39 AM
It's in the OP's hands as to what to do, but that is NOT the right cut. Bottom line? He messed up. Why can't people admit that? I mean, if you look at what the cut was supposed to look like, and this cut, it's no where close.

Your hair is GORGEOUS. So, take some time and perhaps consult with another stylist as to what your options are? Just in regards to the curl/etc?

I hope you didn't give him a tip!

tiny_teesha
September 3rd, 2008, 06:04 AM
I personally would cut to APL, and YELL at those hair dressers, i received an almost identical haircut 3 years ago...i wasn't happy and i cut it up myself to fix it, grrr.

Ms Monnie
September 3rd, 2008, 06:04 AM
Do you think perhaps if you cut to where your top is in the first picture, the remaining part of the long layer will curl up a bit more and make it look less different?

SHELIAANN1969
September 3rd, 2008, 06:12 AM
First off, I am so sorry this happened to you, I personally think the hair stylist didn't know how to cut/trim curly hair.

When I had my hair trimmed, the hairdresser was a bald man! I said, "Oh no, I am not sure if I trust a skinny cook or a bald hairdresser"! he ended up being great and I might see him him next year.

I am so so sorry, but what is a DEVA cut? I have never heard of this, I am going to google it after I post this reply, but I am not sure of the terminology.

I am sure I would have went postal on whomever did this though, I would go back in, show the salon manager before and after pics and maybe they can assist you in a refund/ and or a better trimming job?

Good luck sweetie, your hair still looks pretty, just thin at the bottom.

Little_Bird
September 3rd, 2008, 06:40 AM
My goodness... Just don't go to the hairdresser anymore ok? When you need a trim, do it yourself or ask someone you know for sure it's decent (I'm not saying hairdressers are not, mine is, if not for the brutal combing, but the one who did this to you was not!)...

Anyways, you can grow it back without trimming yet... I think it's up to you. I would be so sad about the loss that I wouldn't have the courage to cut it again but if you think it's better for you to mantain and keep growing then I say go for it! Maybe you can trim it to lower back or bsl.

I wish you the best luck! You'll get your hair back in no time! :flower:

curly girl fla
September 3rd, 2008, 07:31 AM
For those who aren't familiar with the Deva Cut, it is a type of cut developed by Lorraine Massey, who wrote the Curly Girl Book and owns the Devachan Salon. It's, possibly too simply put, a cut that is done dry to curly or wavy hair. It should be a very unique, and individual experience, based on what the customer is looking to achieve and the hair type. You basically go with your hair dried and styled as you normally wear it so that the stylist can see your natural curl pattern, and each curl is sort of individually snipped at the appropriate place until they sculpt the look you want. Then they usually cleanse and dry your hair to check the results, and possibly clip some more if necessary. It is often expensive because it is an extremely time-consuming process that requires great attention to detail.
Of course, I find this after typing the above:

Direct from the website:

The Deva Cutting technique is Devachan's revolutionary method for cutting curly hair. This method removes the need for using any cutting tool other than a scissor. The hair is cut dry, in its natural form, curl by curl. This unique innovation allows the stylist to sculpt each client's hair, according to their individual curl and style.

chelles2kids
September 3rd, 2008, 07:49 AM
Personally, I think you need the length to balance the fullness/curliness on the top. If it were me, I'd fasten it back into some kind of up-do that cascades down the back every day - like the peacock twist or french twist with the ends left out. Every month, I'd cut 1/2-1 inch off the longest part on the very bottom.

:grouphug:to you.

You're hair is still absolutely gorgeous, your curls are amazing!:flowers:

But what Spidermom said ^^. I agree. I wouldn't lose any of the rest of my length, at least not all at once.
I also agree about trimming small amounts off, although I'd do it about every 6-8 weeks or so.

angelthadiva
September 3rd, 2008, 09:59 AM
Personally, I think you need the length to balance the fullness/curliness on the top. If it were me, I'd fasten it back into some kind of up-do that cascades down the back every day - like the peacock twist or french twist with the ends left out. Every month, I'd cut 1/2-1 inch off the longest part on the very bottom. SM said what I was planning on saying.

OMG I want to hug you and slap the hair dresser! I read about this in your blog, I'd hate to have seen what it looked like before the owner fixed it. Boy I don't know what I'd do in this situation. Probably like spidermom suggested a peacock twist or something of the sort until it grows out. This is exactly how I felt!!

If this happened to me, I would try to style the haircut myself for a week or two before making any decisions. I would try different styling products to see if they made a difference as well. If the cut still made me very upset, I would cut off an inch each week until I felt it looked satisfactory to my eyes, and then I'd start regrowing. I'm sorry this happened to you.

p.s. Your hair is really beautiful. I agree, your hair is beautiful!!

That is just astonishing. I've been trying to figure out what the stylist thought she was doing, but I'm baffled. I mean, it's cute, but your 'before' hair was perfection. And it will be again!

I'd suggest following the advice from spidermom and others, and trimming a little off the bottom each month. Pretty soon, it will reach a stage when the two parts are close enough together you won't notice the difference.

Hugs, sweetie.

I would not cut, I know you are tempted...As suggested by many, if you can find a style you can rock for a few weeks/months until your hair grows out to a longer layer; I'd do that.

You are far curlier than I am, and you know once your hair gets to a certain short length, it's just not good...It's a whole bunch of poof until it gets beneath BSL length...I never heard of the deva cut, and it sounds very interesting...If this cut was done properly, I think you would have had amazing results...I'm not sure WTHeck this stylist gave you, but it was certainly not the deva cut as explained in the above post...I don't think your hair looks "awful"; I think that was very unkind for someone to say...Trust me, I've seen way worse done to a head of hair!!!

Happy [near] Future Hair Day wishes from me to you! :flowers:

Tai Shan Fan
September 3rd, 2008, 11:00 AM
I haven't read all the replies, but based on your original post, I'd maintain the length you have and grow out the layers as a first step, by getting a trusted loved on to just snip the bottom layer only, as needed. Gradually things will even up and then you can grow onwards. :flower:

For updos, do claw clips work for you?, other than that, messy buns held with a fork or ficcare. I hope you find an interum solution you're happy with until your hair can grow out again :flower:

yogachic
September 3rd, 2008, 11:20 AM
I am sorry they did this to your hair. hope it grows fast. HUGS.

sahiba
September 3rd, 2008, 01:30 PM
I am really sorry and shocked at the same time for you. But try looking at the positive side ... your hair would grow back beautifully very fast :)

wavestogrow
September 3rd, 2008, 01:39 PM
Juneii: Yup that sounds like a similar haircut. Sorry, they did that to your hair too. Those strands don’t look curly but when stretched they are actually waist length too, so we got the same cut. I would cut the thin parts but my hair is such a poof ball at shoulder/arm pit length.
DMartinez: Thank you, I really value your opinion. I am going to give it a few weeks. I think more of the issue is to whether I will have the guts to trim off those pieces. I would have to hate them really badly in order to be able to cut them off at once like that.
Tap dancer: Thanks for your opinion, that’s what my husband votes for too.
DecafJane: lots of good ideas there. My major issue with updos at this length is because of all the layers of different lengths. No matter how I put my hair back, I have a good portion of my hair that isn’t long enough to be pulled back and forms a poof around my face with curls. I suppose I could pin them.
Nes: Your post was very thoughtful. Thanks for your support and suggestions!
Busnetmedic: Exactly. Even the salon admitted that was more than just a trim.
Paulap20: Thank you for chiming in and posting what has worked for you.
CurlyNinja: Hehe, thanks hair twin. Although we don’t exactly look like hair twins anymore. Thanks, I could use the good hair growing energy!
Euphony: Do you live anywhere near me? I think the hairdresser could use a good slap and I certainly could use a hug! Thanks!
Rhodochrosite: Thanks for the advice. You are probably right. I have been following their exact directions about how to care for my curls with this haircut, but I have no idea why I am listening to them. I could probably make it look a bit better by styling it with the products and technique that I usually do. Despite what they say, and how I’m not an “expert” like they are, I know my hair better than they do!
Curly_girl_fl: Wow, your comments really brightened my day (especially since you have the most bouncy and well defined curls yourself!) Unfortunately, I did pay. I was prepared to go in there and not pay, but from what I saw at the salon, I thought they had “fixed it up” until I got home and looked at the back of my head. I do feel like it is the poorest use of my money that I have ever spent. :(
Girlcat36: I’m a big fan of yours. Your hair does not look similar to mine now. Your hair just keeps getting thicker and thicker and it currently looks beautiful! Yeah, the half-ups with have to become a staple style for me now. Thank you for your support. I’m sorry that you have known what it’s like though!
Darkwaves: yeah, that is what I will do. LOL and your reaction is the exact same as mine when I first saw the back of my head. What was he trying to achieve? I guess there are just some mysteries in life. You know when I see your signature picture, it makes me sad. That is what I want my hair to look like! You have done a wonderful job growing your hair.
A12345: yup, I like your suggestion. Thanks!
Darkhorse1: Thank you for caring. I really just don’t want to bother with them anymore. The stylist was drinking coffee the last time I went in and was like, “I’m drinking this because you stress me out.” I mean I’ve said what I wanted to say. I’ve even cried about it to them. They did what they would do to “fix it”…I just don’t trust they can see properly. They were not willing to give me a refund. I am just going to be an unhappy customer and anything they could do would not make me happier, they already chopped off way more hair than I asked them to and I want nothing more to do with their salon.
PseduoScot: That really is a great idea. The problem is they didn’t even claim that they gave me a curly cut. When I asked them to explain why they didn’t give me one, the stylist started to explain but then said “You are not a stylist. I could explain it to you if you were one. It would take terminology that only a stylist would understand.” See how rude that is? He has no idea how much I do actually know about hair, and I don’t appreciate him assuming I’m ignorant. I still don’t understand why he did what he did without my permission. I still asked him to explain since I probably would understand but all his reasonings still didn't make sense to me. My hair is to porous, too fine, it needs to trimmed regularly in order for it to grow in beautifully, etc. :mad:
Speedbump: Your opinion is another that I value a lot here. When I trim my hair, I will do it in stages until I can stand it like you said. You’re definitely a wise curly. Thank you for taking the time to post.
Islandgrrrl: I like your attitude of maximizing the positive here. I mean I still have hair after all and it’s definitely not the end of the world. Thank you for understanding both why I am upset and also for helping me to see the positive. ((hugs)) Oh and don’t worry, no part of me will ever step foot in that salon again (maybe not even any salon)!
Longhairedfairy: Thank you. Your words brought a smile to my face. (((hugs))) back to you too!
Thanks goldenwaves: Gosh I had never seen your hair before. So beautiful!! Dream hair for sure.
Calista: Well you have the experience to back up your recommendation. I’m so sorry to hear that! Unfortunately, I did pay. Errr Yes, I feel stupid for doing so. But they showed me my hair out in the sunshine where my curls looked so bright and bouncy and I didn’t think it right not to pay even if it wasn’t exactly what I wanted. I couldn’t see the full length of it from the tiny little mirrors they showed me, I could just see the color close up, which I was somewhat satisfied with (I wanted them to remove the red/orange in my hair from a henna gloss I wasn’t happy with) . I still don’t mind paying for what they did to my color since I had somewhat asked for it, but that cut…ugh!
Shanarana: Thank you for posting. Your encouragement means a lot to me.
K_hepburn: Yes, you understand my frustration! If you read a few comments up, I was just saying something very similar. Like the customer doesn’t know what they want or how to style their own head of hair! I mean I heard them talk to a girl who always straightened her hair in a similar way but I mean I’ve been styling my curls for years now, I think I know my own hair! It was his fault he didn’t look at my hair ahead of time and see what I was saying when I said I mainly wanted a curly cut because the under part of my hair doesn’t curl as well as the rest of my hair! Gosh it feels good to rant about it. Lol
To be continued...

Fillette
September 3rd, 2008, 02:32 PM

p.s. Your hair is really beautiful.

I completely agree with rhodochrosite. The beauty with curly hair is that it can look completely different from one day to another. Play with it a little and give yourself time to see all the possible variations. After about 2 weeks you will have a better idea of what you can do with it. Then, if you still want to cut it, you may realize that you only need to shorten it by an inch or two. I would seriously hate to see you loose all that lenght. I know how hard it is to grow curly hair....
Good luck. You have all my support.

Darkhorse1
September 3rd, 2008, 02:53 PM
How horrid that man say that to you!!! I'd have taken that coffee and thrown it in his face! (well, I'd have been sorely tempted!). Does he own the salon? If not, I'd lodge a complaint (by phone) at your dissatisfaction--you can also report them to the better business buereau as that is NOT conduct becoming a business! But, I also respect you wanting to wipe your hands clean. I hope you didn't tip him!! Well, you're a good person, so you probably did.

I'd take this time now to play with different hair toys and styles. Try to have some fun and hopefully the layers will grow out.

Hugs to you!!

almudena
September 3rd, 2008, 02:56 PM
It is not what you asked for, but your hair is still very long and beautiful.
I saw the pics you posted on your blog and the haircut looks gorgeous on you
A change from time to time is really fun :flower:

wavestogrow
September 3rd, 2008, 03:19 PM
Ranee: The only pics of your hair are sooo perfect and gorgeous. I can’t imagine what your hair looks like butchered. That sounds like a good plan to me and I will probably do something pretty similar too. I’ll especially try to wear it back as much as possible. I’ll be here to support you while your hair grows out too.

30isthenewblack: Woman, I just want to hug you!! You have been so supportive and kind and I couldn’t ask for more in a friend. I need to add hair vitamins to my list of things to buy. Those did seem to work well for my hair when I was taking them but I got so ill from taking them and decided it wasn’t worth it. However, Bowie suggested taking them with applesauce or chocolate milk so I will definitely try that. From the bottom of my heart thank you and I’m so glad you’re my friend!
Arctic: You are so creative and helpful! Thanks! When I try your suggestions I will make sure to post pics. You are yet another good friend I’ve met here thanks to the warm LHC community. You’re always such a sweetie!

Lisa-Marie: I really didn’t want this to be a hairdresser bashing session but I do have to agree. I think there are hair dressers who really listen to what you want and do what will make you the happiest with your hair and then there are those that want to show off their expertise or something and do whatever makes them the most happy. Unfortunately, we are the ones that have to live with our hair every day so it’s not right. Thanks for the compliment.

Amoretti: Thank you for posting! You are right there has been some wonderful tips here. I still greatly appreciate your support too. You always have a unique perspective on everything that I admire. Good point about the triangle head. The way they cut the short pieces makes my hair poofier than it’s ever been before and I just don’t want to have to deal with even more hair being cut to that length. The long pieces do help me pull my hair back. I guess one benefit of this horrid haircut is that I never realized I had so much hair before. :P I appreciate the hugs and positive hair growing thoughts!

Pdy2kn6: If I could get that hairstylist fired I would! Any tips on how to do that? The one that actually decided on that cut is a very experienced hair stylist. I’m not sure if I can post a link here (mods please feel free to delete it) but this is the salon where I went. http://www.bosalon.com/personality.htm If you click on Craig Piatti that is who I blame for it. I made an appointment with Kristen there but Craig is the one that ended up taking over. He was sure that I was supposed to “love it” and thank him desperately for doing my hair! You can see he’s “glamorized women socialites from New York City to Seattle” so I suppose I’m just not enough of a socialite to appreciate his fine work. :rolleyes:

Just_Isabel: ((hugs)) back to you Isa! I know I have your support, you is my bud! Hehe I am hoping that all these positive hair growing thoughts really work!

Darkhorse1: Well I did give a tip but it was only a 4% tip so it wasn’t that much. I know it was more than they deserved though. I have always been a generous tipper. Thanks for the hair compliment and for your advice. I really am finished with stylists though! I know what I want, I’ll just do it myself and save the time and money. Thank you for all your posts here!! You really seem to care and I appreciate it.

Tiny_teesha: I understand the grrrrr. It’s been how I’ve been feeling constantly! Grrrrr I just feel like I’ve been robbed of my time, money and hair! I had no idea that the same thing happened to you. I’m so sorry to hear it and of course I understand your frustration!!

Ms Monnie: I will experiment with that but I don’t think so. The curl in that hair just doesn’t last. It didn’t curl well at shoulder length or waist length but it was less noticeable as long as my other hair was covering it.

SheliaAnn1969: Thanks! I see your question of what is a deva cut was already answered. Thanks for your comment. They won’t do anything else though and frankly what else can they do? Cut those last pieces? I’m not sure I want them to. I will do it myself eventually, I don’t’ want them touching my hair again.

Hi Little Bird! I agree with you, no more hair dresser for me! When the short hair does grow in (probably in a year or so) I probably will cut the long part back. Growing from shoulder to BSL seemed to take forever though and I’m not looking forward to doing it again.

Curly_girl fl: thanks for providing the description. You said it very well.

Chelles2kids: Thank you! I think I will just trim off the ends when I can’t stand them anymore. I know it’s much easier to trim more than it is if you cut too much off so I will take it slowly. I will experiment with updos and my curls and see if I can manage and then trim off the ends to whatever will work best for me to manage my hair.

Angelthadiva: I completely agree with you. I think it’s mainly the curlies that have mentioned that poof that would result if I cut it too now. That is what would happen. I mean either way it won’t look too pretty for a while but at least I can do creative updos for now.

Tai Shan Fan: Yeah that is exactly what I’ve decided to do thanks to great advice like yours. Thanks for sharing your opinion.
Yogachic: I’ve decided to eat chocolate constantly haha. Not sure if it’s good for hair growing but it certainly is good for comforting me. Thanks for hugs and well wishes on fast growth.

Sahiba: Thank you!

Fillete: What a well thought out post! Thank you. I am taking in everyone’s thoughts and developing my own plan. I am definitely going to play with my hair before doing any major trims.

Almudena: You are so sweet! Thanks for saying that. I have been wondering if it will look so horrible to wear it down every now and then as long as the long hair stays in front so you can’t see the difference in thickness.

bella77
September 3rd, 2008, 04:24 PM
I would take a bit off each month like others have suggested. I am so sorry dear sister dear, but I can say I know how you feel (((hugs)))

tkywa
September 3rd, 2008, 05:35 PM
(hugs) I'm so sorry too. I know the horrible feeling of seeing much too much hair drop to the floor. :( There should be a special boot-camp for curly hair hairdressers...that way you know the person has a license to touch our hair.

Stacy_E
September 3rd, 2008, 05:55 PM
I feel very sad for you, I mourn the loss of your "before" hair. I wish you the best in working through your feelings of loss and frustration, and in finding the patience needed for you to grow it out again, and to find styles and trimming strategies that will assist in this process.

tomm
September 3rd, 2008, 07:20 PM
I'm afraid I really don't have any advice, but I wanted to say how sorry I am to read about your horrible experience. :grouphug:

Speedbump
September 3rd, 2008, 08:30 PM
Speedbump: Your opinion is another that I value a lot here. When I trim my hair, I will do it in stages until I can stand it like you said. You’re definitely a wise curly. Thank you for taking the time to post.
Aw, shucks. :oops: I don't feel very wise most of the time. :lol: I think YOU are wise for being patient and not doing anything drastic and planning on gradual trims. I think Spidermom probably gave you the single best piece of advice on the thread and the flippy updo idea was great. You are gonna be back where you were before ya know it! :flowers:

beyondcute
September 3rd, 2008, 08:39 PM
Ooooo Myyyyy GOSH!!! I would have shot the stylist :slap:. I agree with trimming in stages. Hugs to you!!! :grouphug:

Jemoiselle
September 3rd, 2008, 09:11 PM
Oh my goodness, you have the most beautiful hair! Cut aside, honey you should be SO proud! While I was pregnant with my little love who is now 9 months, Skye Thomas, my hormones deceived me into attempting to cut a few face framing layers into my then mid back length hair. I had all one length, at that time. I loved it, but it drove me crazy sometimes because nobody else my age in Vegas seemed to wear their hair like that, they were all super trendy, so it made me feel "old". I went nuts, contacted my stylist to do it, and was really really unhappy with the results. She was afraid of cutting too much of my hair off (it was just framing the face with a razor all the way down) so she went way too light. I kept asking for more because it didn't even look like a cut, it just looked like the hair was broken lol! I asked her so many times for more cut off I gave up, and retreated with my tail between my legs...

Desperate for help, I went to one of those fancy-schmancey places that charge so much for a cut you wonder where your personal fanner guy is that feeds you grapes while they snip away *snickers* because I figured I must have "gotten what I paid for" so I was going to pay more and leave happy. Well, she started cutting away, and it was looking pretty neat actually, so I let her keep going and before you knew it I had side bangs, and layers all the way to my neck! I have super fine hair, and with the blow out she did it looked amazing. But once I got it home and went back to my regimen of no heat styling, product etc it looked hacked.

I had to do the same thing you are contemplating. I decided to get a hairigami, rolled it into a bun and nobody knew it was hacked. I got it trimmed once every four weeks (which I still do believe it or not and it grows like wild fire) and allowed the layers to catch up with the long layers. Mine looked like a straight version of yours. I feel your pain! Anyways, my little guy is, as I said 9 months old, and my hair is all balanced out and I am quite happy with how far I've come from that disaster.

Keep your head up, do those gradual trims like you mentioned, and rest assured---your hair is absolutely fabulous and I am so jealous! I could grow for years and it would never be thick or curly like yours. Lucky Lady!

I hope you feel better and it passes quickly like it did for me,
Jemoiselle

salamander
September 3rd, 2008, 09:12 PM
Ouch, that must be awful. I hope you feel better soon. Have you tried a braided bun? That might keep the shorter ends more controlled.

Country Cowcurl
September 3rd, 2008, 11:47 PM
i think you've already received sufficient advice, but my goodness.....i offer you my condolences!!

*BelievingAgain
September 3rd, 2008, 11:54 PM
I just... I just don't get it! I don't know what a Deva cut is, but it's obviously not what they've done to your hair, you poor thing! It's one thing to have a frustrating cut on straight hair, but on curly hair! I'm just so !!!!! for you!

Cutting is something that only you can ultimately choose to do, but if I was in your situation, I would get that section cut off, just so that you're not reminded everyday when you're trying to tuck the ends in/away.

I'm sending you lots of :grouphug: and 'Grow hair, GROW!' wishes. This is part of the journey, try to take from it what you can, as hard as that may be. :flower:

longhairedfairy
September 4th, 2008, 01:55 AM
You know those hair bands that look like curly hair so that when you put your hair in a bun with one there are lots of little curls around it? Maybe you could do some variation of that look or maybe you could do a sock bun and leave little ringlets hanging around it.

Tai Shan Fan
September 4th, 2008, 02:21 AM
I should have mentioned in my other post that although you've had a bad haircut (and I'm not going to lie to you about it) it is just that. The good news you have really, stunning hair :flower: that's not something anyone can change and the cut will grow out with all the community cheering you on :cheer:

If I were to guess what the heck the 'stylist' was thinking about, it's that they saw you as someone with a large amount of hair, not just length, but volume and that needed 'fixing'. There is a mindset that thinks hair with natural volume needs to be tamed among some people. I think that's stupid, but that's just my opinion (speaking as someone with too flat hair who would just love some of that curl) I think they probably misguidedly thought they were trying to do you a favour by reducing the amount of hair by thinning it out so that the hair had less impact - as in they think this is a good thing. They probably thought that would bring attention to your face?

I'm just trying to think of a reason for the type of cut you had. Your stylist may well have been well intentioned, but clueless with dealing with both your hairtype and with respect to long hair generally.

Chamomile betty
September 4th, 2008, 06:34 AM
I am so sorry ((hugs))

Your hair is still very beautiful and that didn't change.

LadyLongLocks
September 4th, 2008, 05:44 PM
Sorry this happened. Maybe you should trim your new growth monthly until you increase the volume at the ends again. No drastic trims, just 1/2 inch or so a month and have a trusted friend help you or do it yourself. This way your top layers will grow a 1/2 inch while you are trimming the bottom so it will actually look like an inch closer. Hope this makes sense.
:)

blondecat
September 6th, 2008, 02:52 AM
<<<<HUGS>>>>>

No advise just sympathy :(

Can you put in a report at the Better business Beuro ?

MissHair
September 6th, 2008, 05:25 AM
Im so sorry.. Whatever you paid for that haircut you shouldnt have had to pay for it.. It looks so much thinner.. They must have cut half its thickness... :(

wavestogrow
September 10th, 2008, 03:22 PM
UPDATE: I have a very good friend who was willing to write an amazingly effective letter to the salon on my behalf. Apparently the guy who hacked my hair was not even licensed to cut hair! The owner is willing to give me a full refund on what I paid to the salon. In addition the owner himself is willing to do my hair for for free for 2 years to compensate on their mistake. He really just wanted to protect his reputation I am sure. His salon does have a very good reputation here. The owner would normally charge 300 dollars for a cut and considers himself an expert in giving curly cuts. So I am probably just going to go back in to him and have him cut off the stringy long pieces.
If that certain someone who wrote the letter and made the phone calls happens to read this thread thank you again for standing up for me! Thank your for all the support, advice and friendship of everyone who responded here as well. :blossom::beerchug::grouphug:

Just_Isabel
September 10th, 2008, 03:31 PM
Those are great news, WTG! :D I'm so glad the letter worked! :joy:

girlcat36
September 10th, 2008, 03:32 PM
So glad to hear you are getting some compensation for this incident! I'm sure the owner will do an excellent job on your beautiful hair!
Was the letter writer an LHCer?

wavestogrow
September 10th, 2008, 03:36 PM
Yes, it was. I'm sure no one could guess by who. :p I just had a conversation with HIM ;) and I don't want him to feel uncomfortable or anything by me posting his name in this thread.

girlcat36
September 10th, 2008, 03:39 PM
Okay---I think maybe I know.

wintersun99
September 10th, 2008, 03:40 PM
Very good news :)

DecafJane
September 10th, 2008, 03:48 PM
That is good news. Please let us know how the new cut goes. :)

Arctic
September 10th, 2008, 03:50 PM
Good to hear and you sound more positive yourself again!

brok3nwings
September 10th, 2008, 04:54 PM
When i hear stories like this i feel like i could jump into all of those stupid hairdressers that dont know how to do their job! errrrr There should be some kind of organisation that preventend this kind of stupidity really! Its not just because we love long hair but many people care about their hair and end up with something different for what they asked for..
Anyway, i think your hair is just beautiful beautiful! i love your curls and you have a lot of hair there! If i were you i would cut about 2 inches from the lengh OR i would do something fun with it....

Have you condidered puting some kind of fun colour on those longer layers ? I think it would give some sence to the cut ;)

SweetPea88
September 10th, 2008, 05:02 PM
I'm glad to hear about the good news! :grouphug:

JessTheMess
September 10th, 2008, 07:16 PM
Oh honey I am so sorry!!!:grouphug: What that person did to your lovely hair was uncalled for! Your hair is still very beautiful, it just looks like you have fairytale ends now. They definitely took a lot of length off unfortunately
Kudos to whomever wrote the letter for you to get that persons job taken away! They shouldn't be allowed to cut bowl cuts on a barbie doll.
On the bright side... your hair is still very healthy, shiny and absolutely stunning. And... it will always grow back!!! :flower:

longhairedfairy
September 10th, 2008, 08:13 PM
I'm so glad that something is being done about your situation, sweetie:)

HeatherMae
September 10th, 2008, 10:13 PM
When I first saw your hair, I almost cried. Not that your hair isn't beautiful now, but it was absolutely perfect and breath taking before. My first thought was that the hair dresser saw your hair and was extremely jealous of it and that was the outcome of her jealousy.........until I read that the person who cut your hair was a MAN! The only other explanation for what he did, is that he really had no idea what he was doing. I am so so very sorry that you are having to go through this. I am coming up on my 1 year anniversary of a horrible haircut myself. I feel your pain. I cried over my hair for months. :(

I am so happy to know that you have come up with a good resolution to all of this. You are very brave for going back there. I never went back to the salon where my hair was chopped as I couldn't bare to see that lady again.

What ever you decide to do with your hair, I am sure that it will look amazing. I do hope that you post pictures of the new results though.

((((SUPER HUGE AND SUPPORTIVE HUGS TO YOU))))

30isthenewblack
September 11th, 2008, 04:29 AM
I know it doesn't make up for what happened to you but that is an incredibly good outcome. I'm not sure how this situation occured in the first place but I'm happy that the owner is taking responsibility. Offering free haircuts for two years is above & beyond what most salons would do. It sounds like you're in good hands at last!

Tap Dancer
September 11th, 2008, 04:40 AM
A full refund and 2 years of free haircuts? Nice! :)

It angers me that salons allow unlicensed people to cut hair. Maybe that wouldn't be so bad if they would TELL you before they start so you can decide if you want to continue.

curly girl fla
September 11th, 2008, 05:59 AM
I'm so glad that the owner is compensating you, and is taking it seriously. And it's so very encouraging to know that there are such good-hearted souls out there (right here :smile:)-the fact that someone took the initiative and wrote the letter out of friendship and concern is downright heartwarming in an often cold society. Thanks for sharing your entire experience, and I would love to see how the owner shapes your hair. Peace...

SHELIAANN1969
September 11th, 2008, 06:29 AM
UPDATE: I have a very good friend who was willing to write an amazingly effective letter to the salon on my behalf. Apparently the guy who hacked my hair was not even licensed to cut hair! The owner is willing to give me a full refund on what I paid to the salon. In addition the owner himself is willing to do my hair for for free for 2 years to compensate on their mistake. He really just wanted to protect his reputation I am sure. His salon does have a very good reputation here. The owner would normally charge 300 dollars for a cut and considers himself an expert in giving curly cuts. So I am probably just going to go back in to him and have him cut off the stringy long pieces.
If that certain someone who wrote the letter and made the phone calls happens to read this thread thank you again for standing up for me! Thank your for all the support, advice and friendship of everyone who responded here as well. :blossom::beerchug::grouphug:

I am so so so glad you will have your hair fixed for the next 2 years by the owner, that said, if it is unlawful for the stylist to be cutting hair without a license, and the stylist was unlicensed, I would seriously consider turning this into (whomever issues licenses and monitors these issues)

You wouldn't have had this issue, had this person NOT been able to touch your hair, so it isn't your fault or responsibility in any way.

Regardless of the "fixing" for 2 years, that is a long time to deal with this, and the owner should be seriously fined, or the stylist should be fined/ and or / cited/ ticketed, whatever it's called when they are breaking the law and practicing without a license.

That is my personal take on it, if the owner/ stylist is fined enough, they may think twice about pulling a stunt like this again.

It seems like the stylist tried to show he "could" cut hair and ended up in a situation where he messed it up royally, and he kept on and on instead of asking for help.

This isn't right, this is your hair, your life, your sanity, 2 years of drama because the owner allowed this man, to cut hair, without a license.

The stylist needs to be stopped!

Please call the cosmetology board and report the unlicensed stylist, who cares if the owner knows it was you, they need to be informed!!

This isn't a case of a friend helping you trim your hair at home, this is a man cutting hair in a salon without a license, this incident needs reported and send pictures if you have to, for proof.

(((hugs)))

ladystar
September 11th, 2008, 07:17 AM
OMG! I am so sorry this happen to you!!! I hope you feel better about this. If it was me I think I might cut also! I would be so mad. Your hair is beautiful either way!!! I wish you the best of luck and hugs to you!!!

theanti
September 12th, 2008, 10:41 AM
Im so glad that the salon owner took it seriously and did everything he could to rectify the situation. Myself being a curly head too, I know how BAD some of the salon haircuts can be if the stylist doesn't know how to cut curly hair. Its hard walking around with a bad haircut too! I'm glad they're fixing everything!!!

Hurray4Henna
September 12th, 2008, 12:05 PM
Hi Wavestogrow!

You have been given so much great advice, so I have nothing of meaning to add. Just want to send you my support and a hug.

This is a horrible experience, but as mentioned, your hair is truly gorgeous at any length...I hope you find some comfort in that.

You seem to be handling this very well, and considering the situation, it's inspirational behaviour.

I am very happy that you received a refund, as you should, and that you will have trims/cuts for free over the next 2 yrs by the "master" stylist--not sure how I would feel about this!

All the best :flowers: